Ruby made me do it. A post on her behalf.

With all this business of single-ish parenting, not eating anything that wasn’t blessed by britney fairies and tantrums about apples and socks, I haven’t even had a chance to tell you about the best thing ever.

And that my friends, is dressing up a little girl baby.

lhs3

Oh I know. Duh. But really, it’s amazing.

When you were little did you love dressing up your Jem and the Hologram dolls in your Barbie clothes and vice versa? You never actually played with the dolls,  you just dressed them in their sportswear, brushed their hair and then dressed them for their wedding. Having a girl is like that except super-er.

It’s super-er because she smiles and makes goo sounds and poses. Those dumb Barbies just sat there all rigamortis. I’m here to tell you friends, it’s better than I imagined.

And and AAAANd. Like all of Ruby’s clothes are handmedowns. I can’t even imagine the greatness of shopping and dressing a little girl. Well, handmedowns EXCEPT for her signature head piece.

DSC_0436

Now you all may remember that I take a firm stance against giant hair flowers on babies. It’s just too New Jersey Housewives for me. When I dress Ruby, I try to dress her like I’d dress me except mini. I mean to a degree I guess. I don’t have 90 pairs of leggings in every shade of chartreuse. I wish.

Back to Ruby’s signature headpieces. So I found these on Etsy and when they came, I knew I had a winner. As a friend of mine put it, she looks like a 1950′s housewife. YES. That’s exactly how I want my baby to look. So I ordered more.

lhs2

I loved them so much that I emailed her asking if she’d consider being a sponsor of the Modgblog. I NEVER do that. But I felt like you guys would eat these bad boys up. And I wanted to post a billion pictures of Ruby in them for you. Winners all around.

So I present to you Little Hipsqueaks. She also makes baby hats and blankets, but these headbands in my opinion are the answer for those of you who don’t want a giant flower on your baby’s head. They also come in toddler size.

lhs

Every morning it takes me a good 20 minutes to dress this child. With G it was a tshirt and jeans and bam, ice cream stains and poop smears and we’re out the door. This is another story.

B: (from downstairs) ARE YOU READY YET?

Me: YES I AM.

B: Then let’s go!

Me: We’re not ready yet!

B: You JUST said you were ready!

Me: I AM READY

B: What on earth are you talking about?

Me: RUBY ISN’T READY YET.

B: Oh jesus.

Me: Don’t be rude, it’s really hard when a girl can’t figure out her outfit.

B: …..

Me: She felt you roll your eyes. You’re making her feel bad. We’ll be in the bathroom fixing our hair.

B: I can’t deal with this.

So yes friends, having a girl is everything I dreamed about and more. I’m told I have like 2-3 more years of deciding outfits for her and then she’ll drive to Victoria’s Secret and buy thongs and padded bras with the money she earned from selling the clothes I bought for her on Poshmark from her iPhone. Yeah.

So I’ll enjoy this while I can. Deal with it B.

MODG and Ruby.

And Ruby’s head pieces.

DSC_0484

POSTED IN: Awesome things,babies,Style

Christine April 9, 2013 at 1:41 pm

What kind of carrier is that?

MODG April 9, 2013 at 1:42 pm

A Moby

Stephanie April 9, 2013 at 1:42 pm

The best part is, now she and B have matching head gear :) People will know who she belongs to!

Samantha April 9, 2013 at 1:44 pm

B should be ecstatic that his daughter is embracing a more feminine form of his headwear. She’s stylish.

Kjb April 12, 2013 at 12:30 am

You have some seriously beautiful children! I’ve been a huge fan of you and your blog for years! I have a question (I’m not yet a mama but hope to be very soon) do Ruby’s stylish head wraps double as functional wraps to train her ears to lay flat? I ask because my mom always said she would push/flatten our infant ears back while she was holding or nursing us. As a yet-to-be mom I was wondering if this was a true thing or a real concern…or if mom is as nutty as I believe her to be? Again, I love your blog, perspective, humor, and tendency to say things that would make the typical mommy blogger shit her pants.

Lauren @ Confessions of a First Time Mom April 12, 2013 at 9:29 am

^ “Train her ears to lay flat?” OMG..what you just said makes *this* typical mommy blogger shit her pants. Come in, it’s an effing headband! Purely aesthetic.

Alyssa April 9, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Dude. The second I saw the first pic of Ruby I was going to ask where you got the cute headbands! I hope that Etsy lady is prepared for her shit to blow up.

Katie April 9, 2013 at 1:47 pm

She is one cute Aunt Jemima-looking baby :)

ElisaM April 9, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Love the little headscarves. She seems to be a very willing model!

Cassidy April 9, 2013 at 1:55 pm

1. her dimples are to die for! 2. I can’t believe she keeps them on- my daughter wanted nothing on her head ever-no hats, no bows, no headbands, no barrettes NADA!! consider yourself in the upper echelon of baby girl dressing for the sheer fact she keeps them on her head!!

Amanda April 9, 2013 at 1:59 pm

so cute! she rocks those head scarves.

TBag April 9, 2013 at 2:00 pm

So adorable!! Like a little Rosie the Riveter!! They could be called Ruby’s Rosies! OMG…..

ashley April 9, 2013 at 2:00 pm

i agree with how ridiculous those huge ass flowers are for baby girls….i mean some are bigger than their heads. too over the top & too obnoxious. if i ever have a girl, never will i embarass her with flower head bands. bows i can handle, & i do love these head bands that ruby rocks!

Lauren F April 9, 2013 at 2:03 pm

My daughter is almost 5 and it is still fun to dress her up. And I know what you mean about coordinating outfits for your mini-me. I don’t know how many times a week I look down and realize we are basically wearing the same thing. BabyGap makes yoga pants for toddlers, you are welcome.

Jennah April 9, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I hate myself for doing this, but as a babywearing person (I wore my 1 year old at ballet class last night, true story): http://www.bobafamily.com/blog/2011/10/11/nine-reasons-not-to-carry-your-baby-facing-out/

also omg I love the headbandssss. We may need some of those.

MODG April 9, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Jennah, I carried both kids facing out. G for almost a full first year. I have to say a lot of these reasons are BS or apply to a very small baby. Ruby was tucked in tight with legs in until she was too big for that. Then her legs popped out and she was much happier. There is no chaffing in a cloth diaper, trust. Ruby demands the stimulation (as did G). They literally crane their necks facing back. Every one in those pictures are wearing their babies WAY too low and look like morons. I really didn’t see one reason there that was valid.

Leslie April 9, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Ruby looks really Asian in the next-to-last photo. Thumbs up.

Arielle April 9, 2013 at 2:07 pm

omgosh so PRECIOUS I can’t even stand it! haha:)))

Cathy April 9, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Those headbands are pretty much the cutest thing ever! And much better than the giant bows and flowers. I’m expecting a baby girl at the end of May and might just have to pick a few up. My future daughter’s fashion sense thanks you.

Rebecca April 9, 2013 at 2:18 pm

best baby accessory ever. i love them, and i hope she keeps this style all her life…or at least as long as all of us get to see cute pics of her on a blog :)

Henna | HENNA BLOSSOM BLOG April 9, 2013 at 2:19 pm

AMAZING. Ughh, love her. :)

I already have so much fun dressing my boy (suspenders, hats, trousers, chambray shirts…). Cannot even imagine how fun it will be if I ever have a girl one day. Oh, but I can…because I already have a Pinterest board for this hypothetical future child. Oh geez.

Seriously though MODG, love the hair pieces! So much better than giant fugly flowers. Do they stay on her head?

Henna | HENNA BLOSSOM BLOG April 9, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Gah, donno what’s wrong with me, apparently I didn’t leave my URL with my name. Sorry!

Wish I’d seen this post earlier, going to a trendy little Brooklyn girl’s first birthday this weekend…right up her alley! :)

Erica April 9, 2013 at 2:53 pm

First…. she is adorable. Second, the person who provided you hand me downs needs a medal and a magic unicorn because the clothes are adorable. The Etsy Little Hipsqueaks headband designer has no idea what she is getting into…. I’m planning on getting some asap! Do they stay on her head well?

Katie April 9, 2013 at 3:04 pm

So cute! My husband has started referring to my daughter’s closet as mama’s accessory closet… I guess I’ve basically adopted a mom style of understated, classic mom clothes with coordinating super cute little girl clothes. It is SO fun!

SA April 9, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Ruby has West Coast style. Or was 2Pac part of the East Coast mafia? Who knows.

Sarah April 10, 2013 at 7:32 am

You’re hilarious. (for real, none of my usual sarcasm.)

Vicky April 9, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I think it is so awesome of you to link up with this Etsy store. I am one of those nosey people that just had to go and look and see just how much your post has upped their sales. And from just a couple of minutes ago they had 7 pages of sold items from today. Maybe they are already pretty popular but… yesterday they only had 1 page of sales. So pretty much I just wanted to say you are AWESOME and…. your baby is the cutest!!! I have 3 boys…. with no more planned in the future. But I’m pretty sure I would be broke if I had a girl… so it’s probably for the best! :)

Jesse April 9, 2013 at 3:32 pm

I want to know where she gets her eye highlighter. Seriously.

Bridget April 9, 2013 at 3:52 pm

If we mention your name at LittleHipsqueaks, do we get a % off?

annette April 9, 2013 at 3:52 pm

forget toddler sizes….I want one!! :) Adorable!! :)

Rhonda April 9, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Dude. love this post. and this is why i want girls. And why it’s probably best that I don’t have any – can’t afford it!

Suzanne April 9, 2013 at 5:05 pm

So cute! She looks so much more like B now. Maybe it’s the nose? Adorbs. And she def looks Asian in the next to last pic.

Kelly @ Turned up to Eleven! April 9, 2013 at 5:26 pm

I think she looks very 50′s housewife meets total Gangsta! She’s one little bad A – Mo Fo!

SO cute!!!! Keep up with the sharing! I’m loving all her looks! And THANK YOU for finding and promoting something other than hair bows and big flowers!

Terresa April 9, 2013 at 5:39 pm

She is totally, completely adorbs and everything you said is EXACTLY why I want a little girl so bad after two boys. My husband totally doesn’t understand at all. I’m drowing in a sea of boys who could give a crap if they clothes are stained and mismatched. I WANT a little girl to dress up and do hair with!

Travis Erwin April 9, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Love those dimples.

Erin April 9, 2013 at 10:47 pm

First of all, you made my night by referencing Jem and the Holograms. I may need to drive to my mom’s house this weekend to dig them out of the basement.

Second, I die for those headbands. It almost makes me want to go for #3 and try for a girl. Almost.

Good luck on your continued singlish parenthood. My husband travels for work a lot as well, so I feel your pain and need to just turn on some Teen Mom 2 and drink some cab.

Heidi_Australia April 10, 2013 at 2:01 am

You THINK you have 2-3 more years. My daughter stopped wearing what I bought her and started choosing her own outfits at 18 months. Wouldn’t wear anything plain it turned out. Now I have to let her choose her own clothes when we shop, aged 3 thank you very much. I wasnt buying clothes that had enough bling pizazze and sparkle. I have learnedy lesson. Other daughter will be a walking ad for glitter and diamantes.

Devan April 10, 2013 at 2:13 am

I have two girls and I couldn’t agree more! I don’t take a long time, pretty much anything you put them in is adorbs! My youngest is 3.5 so I think we are too old for these, but man they are so stinkin cute!! It helps that your baby is a DOLL!!! Cute Cute Cute! <3 Devan

danielle April 10, 2013 at 2:45 am

I am with heidi – my girls had very strong clothing preferences at 18 months. I declared it not worth the fight of battling over clothing. ridiculous! some days they look adorable, and other days, it’s a little interesting to go out in public. Cinderella dress up dress? sure. why not. (they’re 3 and almost 2 currently). hopefully you get those 2-3 years you’ve been told about, though I am curious who is feeding you such lies (kidding). =)

Sarah April 10, 2013 at 7:40 am

I die over the orange. Die. And her big beautious eyes. Makes me want to have another one for the chance of a girl (1yr old boy right now)….and then I remember the one I already have. Aged 14. (thinks she’s 21) See if there’s some way to keep her little and tiny and adorable forever. Or before you know it, you’ll be telling her to change her shirt bc her boobs are hanging out, be halfway to her friends house with her iPad before you realize WTF am I doing!!!?? Luckily I saw that as an opportunity to get some booze for the evening. So I wasn’t totally her bitch. Silver linings.

Kat April 10, 2013 at 11:10 am

she is adorable! :) I love big flowery headbands and all but this might be my new fav head piece ;)

Amy @ drivethirtythree April 10, 2013 at 1:04 pm

she is just way too cute!!
my two year old already picks out her outfits and tell’s me “no” when she doesnt’ like what i picked out for her. enjoy ruby’s silence while it lasts!

Kenya April 10, 2013 at 1:06 pm

She is so FREAKING adorable.. and those headpieces are awesome.

Christa April 10, 2013 at 3:41 pm

So orig MODG!

And isn’t B super into bandanas? You’d think he would love this trend.

April April 10, 2013 at 9:32 pm

I also hate (with a passion) those obnoxiously huge flower headbands. I just don’t get the appeal there. These headbands are adorable! I will definitely check them out. And your little girl is a real beauty.

Abi H. April 11, 2013 at 12:40 am

I love those headscarves! Looked at the Etsy shop, but didn’t want to wait 6+ weeks for it to ship. Found this wonderful idea online, great way to make your own:

Yan April 11, 2013 at 2:28 am

Just started reading your blog & I totally LOVE it!!! :))

Heather April 11, 2013 at 2:09 pm

LOVE your alternative to big flowers!

Lisa @bitesforbabies April 12, 2013 at 7:53 am

Firstly, your daughter is ADORABLE!!!! (she looks just like you!) Secondly, I’m searching for those headbands now…they are too cute!

Megan L April 12, 2013 at 12:17 pm

I am glad that it takes someone else ridiculously long to dress their little girl. Boys are so easy but girls., yikes! I literally get stumped staring at her clothes. Post some pics of your go to outfits. I hate being to matchy but man it’s hard!

Lluvia April 12, 2013 at 8:09 pm

LOVE IT!! Ruby is gorgeous!! It’s so much fun to dress them up! I like the headbands. I am not a fan of the big bows that make them look like a present or a pinata! Eek! I make my daughter’s bows, but they are simple. She has extremely curly hair, and A LOT of it! I don’t think these headbands would look cute on mine. :-(

silk heels grey have seen an amazing warm months christian louboutin canada Schlagerhelden April 23, 2013 at 3:47 am

Ruby made me do it. A post on her behalf. – MODG

LineSpeak Business Forum - Africa Business Connect cherry's blog April 23, 2013 at 3:48 am

{ 1 trackback }