**UPDATES** Please please PLEASE do not post your email address in the comments in the conventional @ .com way. You will be spammed by evil spammers hunting out email addresses. You have to post it like modg AT gmail DOT com. I can’t go through and edit all of your email addresses.
Make sure you follow MODG on facebook for periodic updates. It’s my social media of choice.
Keep the generosity going. So much positivity here. So proud of you all. xoxo
It’s finally here. And I must apologize for taking so long to get this going this year. WHY do I have to keep having babies at Christmas? Annoying right?
So here we go. For those of you who weren’t around last year for this, let me recap briefly:
I was on an asshole streak, commenters were on an asshole streak (an asshole streak is brown). And it just fed off of each other and felt bad. A woman named Catherine (who I’m still in touch with) mentioned that she and her family were struggling this Christmas. It wasn’t in a way where she was asking for anything. But B and I decided to help her privately with a Target gift card. It definitely wasn’t much but it started something big.
It gave me the idea for WANA. It felt so much better NOT being an asshole than being one. And I knew that we all could benefit from something like that. So I asked commenters to post if they needed help to ask for it here and hope that other commenters could connect and offer help in any way. I had no idea what to expect.
THOUSANDS of people were helped last year. I was blown away. People had 3, 4 and even 5 comments to each comment in need, offering help. It was a huge success. And I believe much of the success came from helping actual people. Not just donating money or toys to an anonymous person through a charity, but making a human connection. That’s all we really want. Is to feel like we’re making a real difference. And I think this accomplishes that.
I wish I could show you the post, but it crashed from the comments and started getting a ton of spam. So we’re going to follow some rules to make this super successful this year.
If you or your family is in need this year, please post a comment that starts with this exact quote: **IN NEED** followed by your need. This helps us to find your comment easily.
If you’d like to respond to a comment of someone in need with an offer of help, I ask that you provide a way to contact you outside of the blog for personal details. However in order to post your email address for communication purposes please post in this format
sueellen AT gmail DOT com. (this will prevent spammers from grabbing your email address here). If you are posting a need, wait for someone to respond before giving out your email so we know that you have been helped.
Some tips to make this great:
- You’ll do best to leave open ended requests. i.e. don’t ask for a check for 500 dollars. People were helped much more with toys for their kids, warm clothes, gift cards, etc.
- If you are asking for help and you happen to receive many offers to help, please do the right thing and decline some of the offers so that person may help others.
- If you are offering help, please trust your gut. 99% of people here are good and honest people. But once pair up with someone in need, I can’t help you. It’s really an act of good faith. Think of it like finding a pen pal.
- I realize that the deadline for Christmas is very close and I’m truly sorry for that. I just ask that you do the best you can to help things arrive by Christmas for these families. Especially if it’s toys for the holidays. However if it’s something else, the Christmas deadline shouldn’t be mandatory.
- The comments will become overwhelming, but I will do the best I can to highlight comments that have not received help yet in blue (with a comment from me). Try to search these out.
- If you have something to give, I ask this year that you don’t post comments that are **TO GIVE**. It becomes too difficult to match. Please only respond to those in need with your offer.
The blog will continue on while this post is in action, however I’ll have an icon posted in the sidebar to allow you to easily get back to this post.
I really hope we can help many people this year. And as I mentioned, this year’s WANA is dedicated to the families who suffered loss in Connecticut yesterday. If you’d like to send cards, donations, etc. The school’s address is: Sandy Hook Elementary School, 12 Dickenson Drive, Sandy Hook, CT 06482
Please begin posting your needs immediately. Please spread the word as well to anyone that you know who is in need. Thank you!
Happy WANA everyone!