Some hippie love and reflection in a time of tragedy

Today’s tragedy is unthinkable. As a mother  and just a person, it terrifies me to think that this is something that can actually happen. I’m sure many of you feel the same way. And at my lowest today, I got this email from my best hippie and doula. This perspective may seem like wild hippie words to you, but it helped me to process. And I thought the greater MODG readers could maybe use some hippie love today as well. So read this and take from it what you can. Lots of love to you all.

_____

It might be hard, but try to keep yourself out of the media fray with this. I know it feels insensitive, but it is not. You aren’t doing anything for any of the families or the world by following details; you’re just making yourself resonate in a way that channels pain, angst, and fear.

Remember that we are all vibrational—we vibrate on the frequencies of what we expose ourselves to. And then that vibration goes out into the shared world. Right now, there is a LOT of pain, angst, and most especially fear being spun out into the Universe, and into our collective consciousness (because we are ALL, every thing, more intimately connected than we may realize). The best thing you can do for the collective consciousness, our world’s heart, and our minds/souls is to resonate love, and your peace. So light a white candle for those who are hurting, including yourself… pray/meditate, acknowledging your fear and pain but then *releasing* it, and try to put yourself in a place firmly of being a prism of powerful GOOD and PEACE.

Especially when you’re in the midst of chaos, and when we’re surrounded by an echo chamber of folks who love to dive into pain and splash around in it until everyone in reach is all soaked (like FB, like the media), it’s not easy to distance yourself. I am careful where I click and watch, and I try to visualize, because it’s the easiest way for me to immediately change my own inner channel: I visualize the world around me as murky and discolored (to allow myself to acknowledge whatever it is that is wrong without indulging myself in visualizing specifics), and then myself in that world, still and glowing. And then I try to focus my visualization until I can see my own light intensify with whatever color message I want to put into it: in this case, peace, steadiness, love. And the glow spreads from my person to my surroundings until I’m slowly able to color and focus the area around me, more and more, until it’s powerfully lit, calm and clear. By banishing that murkiness in your visualization, and lighting yourself from inside, you are manifesting that.

ANY visualization that is taking you away from what the media is feeding you and putting you on a frequency of YOUR choosing will be helpful, to you and everyone else. YOU get to choose your vibration—you do not have to be held captive and add yourself to the victim toll, which is what mentally happens when you resonate with the all-too-abundant negativity surrounding chaos like this. Be thankful for your blessings, be prayerful of a good world, and then go create it. The more of us who can resonate like this, the more we are doing our part to help.

And, of course, it protects your family, who are immediately affected by your wavelength (and MOST especially our unborn children who are affected in a *most* intimate way).

It can be hard sometimes, but try to be at peace. <3 <3 <3

_________

And now read it again.

This year’s WANA will be dedicated to the victims in Connecticut and their families.

Love and hippie peace,

POSTED IN: hippie stuff

Jennifer December 14, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I just love you and your hippiness! Thanks for this. The end.

jules December 14, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Thank you so much for sharing. It is so hard to understand how this could happen. I feel guilty hiding from the news coverage, as though that is insensitive. Lighting a candle on my own for those involved is a beautiful idea to acknowledge this in my own way. Seriously, thank you again for sharing this MODG. It IS helpful.

smashleighmm December 14, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I was feeling guilty too because I was sad about a situation when I didn’t even know all the details. I didn’t want all the details though, just seeing the number 26 on yahoo was too much for me.

Kristi L December 14, 2012 at 7:20 pm

These words are comforting in a time where so many of us are caught up in the senselessness of this act of violence. Sending light and love to all, especially the families directly affected by this tragedy. May the comfort that we resonate somehow reach those hurting tonight.

xo

Bridget December 14, 2012 at 7:23 pm

That was nice of your friend to think of you and send this reflective message. This morning, upon hearing the tragic news, I too fell into a depressed state of confusion and helplessness. As a woman who is expecting out first child in a few weeks, I cannot imagine how 40 parents and multiple family members can process the news that their children have been murdered. It is unthinkable and sad.

However, as a former news producer, I believe the media is simply doing their job in reporting this tragic event. I believe we owe it to the victims to know what they went through, to learn about their last moments, and to try and imagine what they must have experienced. If we do not, history will repeat itself. We must try and put ourselves in their shoes, process the moments and then act in a way so we will not go down this path again.

MODG December 14, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Bridget I agree that there is definitely a place for the media to report this. But I think it’s our job as viewers to know the facts and move on into a place of hope and peace. It’s easy to get sucked into the TV and feel totally hopeless. I remember it happening to me during 9/11 too. I think what my friend is trying to say is to move on to a place of healing as soon as you can and put that out into the world.

Julie December 15, 2012 at 11:16 am

Being aware of current events is absolutely important but allowing tragic, violent, heart-wrenching images to haunt us on a daily basis is neither healthy or beneficial. I stopped ‘watching ‘ the news years ago. There is no benefit to subjecting oneself to the fear tactics that most of today’s news stations use to get viewers.

I love this post and I agree entirely that thoughts become things. What we owe to the victims – and those who suffer from mental illness like the shooter – is positive change. For me, that means saying ‘No’ to things like sensationalized media and ‘Yes’ to love, connection and healing.

Suzie December 14, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I really needed to read that. Thank you so much for sharing.

tara December 14, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Thanks for this. I got sucked into reading about it and realized that I was just depressing myself and it wasn’t doing anything useful for the victims.

Really awesome idea for the WANA.

Leyna December 14, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Thank you.

Jen December 14, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I agree with you completely. Yes, we need to be aware of what happened, but wallowing in it won’t do anything good for any of us. I’m going to turn that shock, sadness and horror into something positive this weekend. Some sort of service, something good.

Am I dim, or does this mean we won’t be doing WANA this year? I’d hoped to adopt a family.

dana December 14, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I was wondering too.

Modg December 14, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Yes it’s happening

Mazzy December 14, 2012 at 7:52 pm

This is the most profoundly helpful post I have read from you or any blogger. I never comment here but this one was a winner. Thanks for this, I will share it where I can.

Ashley December 14, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Thank you.

Xoxo,
A mom of 3, one of which is in Kindergarten

drea December 14, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I can’t thank you enough for sharing this. It has been the only thing today that has made me feel… calm? Calmer? Seriously. You have no idea what sharing this has done for me this evening. Thank you so very much from the bottom of my heart.

The Other Jen December 15, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Agreed. Thank you MODG. Thank you MODG’s doula.

Emily December 14, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Thank you for sharing these gentle and kind words of hippie wisdom. I hope we can all strive to be a beacon of peace, at least within each of our homes, so that the children who leave these homes bring a spirit of peace as well.

Brittany December 14, 2012 at 8:33 pm

This is absolutely what I needed, thank you MODG. I have been at my wits end, stressed all day, knowing about this tragedy. I think distancing myself from the media and just saying a simple prayer over the next few weeks will be the PERFECT way to cope with this issue.

Your hippie doula is the BEST!

Erica December 14, 2012 at 9:04 pm

fascinating perspective! not too many good “hippies” where i am (or they are hard to find). i would love to hear more of these ideas!

Chloe December 14, 2012 at 9:28 pm

I’ve been a long time reader but have never commented. I felt I had to after reading this. It really did help . Thank you so much for sharing.

Erica December 14, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I have been online looking at amazon because the News is focused so much on this heinous tragedy. I even spent the last part of my work day focused on every piece of news trying to comprehend how someone could do anything so awful. I cried at least twice today.

Thank you and your hippie doula friend for this! It has truly helped to realize that, while we can grieve for these poor families, it does little to continue to drown ourselves in the coverage. May you and all of my fellow readers hug our kids a little tighter tonight and pray for some kind of piece for these families.

Your blog is amazing and I hope Ruby is getting a little better on the fart front!

Keith December 14, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Found this when I opened my wife’s iPad. I guess you would describe me as new age, Buddhist etc but I really needed this today. Ps. My wife loves your blog.

Lauren December 14, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I love you even more for this. I didn’t hear the news until teaching one of my last classes of the day. It was hard to keep it together, but I didn’t let myself read what had happened. On the way home, I listened to a short news story, so I could get the quick version, but since then I’ve had to turn it all off. With an 8 month old at home and working in schools, there is really nothing positive that I can gain right now from gory details. I ache for those directly affected. I struggle, like everyone else, with the questions of “why?” and “how could anyone…?” Right now, it is our job as a world community to send positive energy to those who are suffering such an unthinkable loss, and to surround our own families with love and safety. In my mind, the best thing that I can do is not cloud my mind with all of the horrible what ifs. To not waste precious time with my child by providing this act any more focus than it already has. Some people need the details to come to terms with things. Not me. I’ll resign myself to snuggling in bed with my beautiful girl and sending some of our love and peace out into the world.
Hugs to you and your family.

Kristi L December 15, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Beautifully written.

Velika December 14, 2012 at 10:19 pm

I’ve been following your blog for a while now because of how funny you are, but tonight I’m finding peace in just how “right” you are. Thank you. Still a hard day, but I’ve stopped crying for now…

Ashley December 14, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Great post. I’m staying away from the news coverage.

And forgive me for even asking, I don’t mean to sound like an asshole, but I also don’t quite understand the WANA mention… we’re going to do something for the families in Connecticut? Or we’re going to do what we did last year and say it’s in memory of the people who were killed? I’m eager to do something for someone – we’re running short on time to get out, get stuff, and get it shipped in time for Christmas.

Desiree December 15, 2012 at 8:39 am

Yeah, I’m with you. I can’t believe Christmas is only ten days away; not much time to shop and ship so it’s under the tree Christmas morning.

erinisabel December 14, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Thank you for this. I’ve been struggling all week with the senseless, horrific shootings. I live near the mall outside of Portland that experienced it’s own shooting on Tuesday and since then I haven’t been able to shake this gut wrenching sadness. Today broke me, like it did many of us. But this here gives me hope that we will all find peace.

Nicole December 14, 2012 at 11:16 pm

I’ve never commented, but just needed to say thank you for sharing this letter. I’ve been in tears most of the day and my anxiety has been through the roof. I wanted to drive to my boys’ school and immediately take them home and never leave. Focusing on the love and peace I can put into the universe feels much more productive than being a crying ball of nerves.
Nicole

Stephanie December 14, 2012 at 11:30 pm

I appreciate this post. Right now, and for the last year or so, my husband and I have been deep into the, ‘should we or shouldn’t we’ discussion of having kids. And when things like this happen, I have to admit, it puts one in the con column at first. Kind of a, “How do we bring an innocent child into a world like this?” kind of deal. This post was great, because it’s good to see reactions of those who have little ones, and to see that there is still hope out there. that evil people shouldn’t be a reason not to have a child. Again MODG, awesome as always.

Jennifer December 15, 2012 at 12:48 am

Thank you for this. I saw about 2 seconds of the news on TV and spent most of the day crying and hugging my son. This is the first thing I’ve read that is remotely helping me deal with it.

Jess December 15, 2012 at 1:50 am

Needed this. Thank you. And filing for future use… when senseless tragedy overwhelms me. Prayers/good vibes/what-have-you/what-believe-you be with all those affected today, all the precious babes that were lost, the warrior-teachers that were lost and as you said, us.

ElisaM December 15, 2012 at 2:06 am

Thank you, simply thank you.

K December 15, 2012 at 2:43 am

This resource has been comforting and helpful to me: http://www.pbs.org/parents/rogers/special/scarynews-thoughts.html
It, too, suggests limiting how much time we spend watching tv images of tragedy.

Katie December 16, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I have also been trying to limit my news watching in recent days after spending the majority of Friday afternoon bawling my eyes out glued to the TV. In the meantime, this pretty much sums it up.

Connecticut Mom December 17, 2012 at 11:55 am

MODG, you are usually so, so, *so* good about keeping things even and non-judgmental…So I just want to add an extra perspective to this post because, in truth, I read this post and felt judged. Please know – I write this with a lot of love and respect for you and this blog. But, I am a mother and a pregnant woman. I live in Connecticut. I also have deep family ties to Newtown, CT. I have been an anxious mess since Friday because I can *not* turn off the media waves and sadness and information and there is no possible way to tune out from what is happening around us here. And for the fourth day of mourning and grief and unavoidable saturation of those of us ingrained in this tragedy here in CT, I have worried relentlessly about the stress I am causing to my body and my unborn child. I have been sobbing for four days. I will continue to sob through vigils and funerals and lockdowns in our schools where I have a kindergartener (4 area districts are locked down again today after reports of suspicious behavior). Yes. It is important we put healing and love back into the world for our sanity – and for the sanity and health of our children, both in this world and not yet born, but please remember there are many, many of us moms here in Connecticut who can not do that yet. I will relish the chance to choose my own vibrations in the weeks to come, but right now – it is very fresh here in CT. And we don’t have many choices but to be tuned in and vigilant. I am already a guilty, anxious mess for what my unborn child is feeling of my waves…Please, please remember that some of us can not heed the advice above because we are too close to this tragedy and will continue to have to honor that for a while still. For Newtown…for Connecticut…and for our babies and families who are still suffering through this. Thank you & lots of love.

Kristian December 18, 2012 at 2:34 am

Prayers, peace, and so much love to you.

mommylisa December 18, 2012 at 11:00 am

Here is to bringing some peace and joy to you and your family. I cannot fathom how difficult it is, but know we are sending you prayers and peace.

Camille December 17, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Just passed along to my friends. Thanks for the hippie love, makes me happy.

mommylisa December 18, 2012 at 10:59 am

Instead of the news this morning, per usual on the treadmill, I watched Nate Berkus interview Maya Angelou….you’re welcome.

P February 1, 2013 at 7:31 am

Hey MODG- any lingering requests from WANA 2012? Not sure how much I could help out, but maybe a small Valentines gift? Tried to respond to the actual post, but didn’t know what to do about the email line without leaving the actual email.
petrongosser AT gmail DOT com
(But, hehe, it’s right up there anyway ;)