I’m now a mom of 2 kids. Someone get me some Lee jeans.

I’m alive.

When someone slices your abdomen open, it used to be called Hari Kari and you die on the floor in front of some Japanese war guy. Now it’s called a c-section and instead of your internal organs falling on the floor, you get a baby. Neat.

So like I said, I’m alive. And I wanted to briefly update everyone before we get into the birth story (another post, another time). We are all doing relatively well. We came home from the hospital the day before Thanksgiving and have been recovering during B’s paternity leave.

The good news is that outside of some very early and brief baby blues, the post partum depression seems to have stayed away so far. And for that, I’d give all the gummy penguins in the world.

The bad news is that my c-section recovery this time around is tough, physically. Like really tough. It feels like someone dipped a flaming dagger into a pile of angry scorpions and is jabbing it into my scar, every time I walk. Dramatic? NO. It’s actually worse than that. Every doctor is like, hmm, that’s weird. And I’m like, DUDE, not the right response from a DOCTOR. So I’m just hoping this goes away soon. B goes back to work on Monday and I’m counting the days before D day. Death day. Dooms day. DOUBLE KIDS DAY.

Yes I’m afraid. I’m very afraid. I still look at a newborn with a healthy amount of fear behind my eyes. They are unpredictable and unruly. They don’t listen to reason and they could really give a shit about anyone other than themselves. People like that usually are locked up in mental wards. Or they are called newborns.

Listen, to be totally honest, I’d skip 6 months ahead if I could. I know I know…”don’t wish time away”, “enjoy them when they are little”, “it goes so fast”. The newborn stage is tough stuff though. Breastfeeding literally round the clock at every waking moment while recovering from my scorpion wound, begging her to sleep while she looks at me like, shut up and give me back your boob….is hard. And during this stage, I’ve enjoyed and appreciated G so much more. And I really think it’s him that is keeping the PPD away.

But I will say this….when you have your second baby,  you have the knowledge that your first gave to you. You don’t have to lay crying in a dark corner because the baby will never let anyone else hold them except you in their whole life ever. And you know that eventually they will do other shit besides suck on your boob and scream. And you know that there isn’t true evil behind their eyes. Ok I knew that all along. But sometimes I’m like 2% unsure.

But I can say, that I look at little Ruby Lee and I love her. I feel attached to her, which is something that took me months to feel with G. I can tell already that she isn’t the baby that everyone said I’d have after my experience with G. She screams not “just when she’s hungry”. She screams because shit annoys her and because she wants to. But I’m ready for it. If she turns out to be a fiesty little firework, good for her. And let’s be honest, with us as her parents, she was never going to be Wendy Wallflower.

And I should say that moving forward, I don’t think I’ll be calling her R on this blog. She’ll be Ruby. R is for naked movies and pirates. And my Ruby is neither. I think.

The next post will be the birth story, with pictures. You  may be surprised…

MODG and family

POSTED IN: babies,breastfeeding,Mom Stuff

Lumos November 27, 2012 at 2:37 pm

She’s beautiful! So happy for you.

tara November 27, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Yay MODG! I wish there were a better way to express joy via internet. I’m shitting rainbows of happiness for you! I hope the baby blues stay away. Are you going to eat your placenta again? Because that was badass awesome.

Ruby is beautiful and I totally agree-R is for weird pirate hookers.

p.s. don’t forget to drink lots of water! :) and you are too cool for camel toe mom jeans

Beth Anne November 27, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Best of luck with your scorpian scar.

Also? That’s a darn fine baby right there. Congratulations.

Brenda November 27, 2012 at 2:39 pm

As a mommy of a firecracker monster 15 month old and nearing the blessed 2nd trimester of my little vampire fetus this…and likely all future blogs…brought tears to my eyes. I am so happy to hear tht the PPD is staying far far faaarr away. OH, and you look stupid beautiful holding her in the hospital. Thank you for sharing your journey with us all!

Nicole November 27, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Beautiful baby girl! Enjoy a few more days with B ‘Cause that whole two kids shit is Scary, but on the upside they are your kids so you can usually fix them.

JULI C November 27, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Love.
It will get better, so much better. With 2 kids, they play amongst each other and you get your ME time =). Trust me. My kids are turning 5 & 6 in the next 2 weeks. They are independent little people.
Its awesome.
hugs
juli

Amy L. November 27, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Congratulations! She is beautiful like her mommy. I hope your scorpion wounds heal quickly and you feel better soon.

Megan November 27, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Dude that transition from 1 to 2 kicked my ass for real. I really freaked that I couldn’t do for 2 all that I did for 1, esp. because they were only 19 months apart. But a wise friend said to me, what you give up with your second in terms of your own time with them, they gain from having a sibling. And it’s true. And I realized that if we were only meant to have one kid, our uterus would fall out after having the first (duh). Hugs and kisses to all.

Chrissy November 27, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Too true…I have three sons and they are best friends and worst enemies…these two things keep them too busy to have much time to need my attention. They are either lolling all over each other like puppies and talking about Legos and Star Wars and Harry Potter or they are chasing each and threatening to not be friends or somesuch nonsense that never comes to pass. Either way I am in the kitchen making dinner or reading a book or whatever and accepting the hugs in passing and having brief conferences about what this or that brother did. It is, all in all, very doable and very different than I imagined. My boys are 10, 7 and 4.
The change from one to any number more is..um…interesting…but, like all things, it passes and things change and you get used to it.

Amanda….your family is beautiful and I feel ya on the c-section thing. I had three…not my favorite memories. The dagger thing? Had it. I lived. In case you were worried. ;) Watch out for infection, that’s all.

Kristin November 28, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I agree with the multiple kids, sharing love, etc. so cool once they see one another as partners friends/in crime.

C-section healing gets tougher with each c-section, for sure (4 here within 4.5 year– idiot self), so if you a comfortable doing so, take the meds, relax like you are supposed to (for real, that’s why they have the relax thing). It is hard to hand it over, since mentally you know you should be able to walk, pick something up, make dinner, etc– even if you are in a fog, but I honestly think those first couple weeks totally make or break your healing process.

marysia in tx November 27, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Congratulations! This post just made my day and I’m looking forward to your birth story!

andrea November 27, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I’ve been waiting for this!!!! Thinking of you, probably a pretty rough birthday, but in the end you are blessed with everything you really want, including internet fame!! :) Welcome to the world baby Ruby! …and thank you for not calling her R.

Meredith November 27, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Wonderful photo of the two of you. Can’t wait for the birth story!

demi November 27, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I love your face in that picture! She is so precious, you truly have a beautiful family. When I brought home our second child, it was definitely a bit scary, and you describe the emotions perfectly. I thought I was doing horribly with it because I really wasn’t showering and there was breastmilk everywhere-but JUST the other day my husband told me THAT was the time he was the most proud of me. I’m like dude-SHE’S 4 now. You could have told me then! Anyway-I love her name and I think/know you are going to do great. Don’t put too much thought into showers and stuff. Number one is always sleep. OH and maybe introduce the bottle a bit earlier? I was so skitzo about not introducing artificial nipples with my first and she refused the bottle for a solid year. Which made me a slave. It’s all up to you of course on how you want to handle it all. For me personally it made me nuts. But breastfeeding rocks. I miss those days! Enjoy your new family :)

deedee beckstrom November 27, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Congrats! I am very happy for you and LOVED reading this post. Gave me hope that MAYBE I CAN do it again. Enjoy your newborn snuggles!

ilikebeerandbabies.com November 27, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I ALWAYS say I will take them for the first month then skip straight to six. Once they are done sleeping all day, let’s cut right to the smiling and fun stuff.

Morgan November 27, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Oh horray, just horray!! So happy for your adorable family!

Susan November 27, 2012 at 2:49 pm

YEA YOU…..You did it!!!! She is so beautiful and you look great…even with the scorpion pain! Hope that gets better FAST. Hugs and motherhood solidarity from GA!

Rhiannon Hardesty November 27, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Congrats on your beautiful baby! I just wanted to share that when I had my daughter I also had the searing pain where the incision was. The doctors told me it was the nerves in that area. The pain went away for the most part by six weeks postpartum. But it took almost a full six months before I was really back to normal. I used this as an excuse not to do house work feel free to do the same :)

erynne November 27, 2012 at 2:52 pm

So happy to read this. I hope the scorpion pain goes away fast…you both look great.

Britt November 27, 2012 at 2:52 pm

It took me 3 weeks before I could walk without shooting pain after my c-section. We had to live at my parents house for 3 weeks because I couldn’t walk up and down the stairs at mine. I see other people who had c-sections walking around right away and have no idea how they did that. The pain meds did nothing either. Good luck!

Leigh Graham November 27, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I was one of the lucky ones who did not have much pain post-caesarean, but a close friend found the stairs in her home to be extremely painful. She really loved using the Belly Bandit, not only because it helps ward off the eventual pouch, but because it gave her some physical support/pain relief while she was moving around.

Vanessa November 27, 2012 at 2:55 pm

That is a friggin’ adorable baby and I love her name! I’m glad things are a little easier this time around, gives me hope for whenever we get around to #2. Next we demand pictures of G and his little sister together.

Ruby November 27, 2012 at 2:55 pm

LOVE her name!!!! From one Ruby to another, way to go little one! Welcome Earthside! And way to go Mom! =)

Danielle November 27, 2012 at 2:56 pm

You look AMAZING in that picture. Scorpion scar or not, you’re amazing. Ruby is beautiful, and I hope G continues to give you the strength to fight PPD!

Natalie November 27, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Sorry to hear that your recovery has been so excruciating. I had a c-section with my son and had scar pain for months. I’m not sure if you’ve tried ScarAway scar patches. They help cosmetically, but I love them because when I had one on, it eliminated so much of the pain (of course if the pain is really deep into the incision, they probably won’t do much, but the scar itself can be surprisingly painful!). I wore one 24 hours a day (except when I was in the shower) for more than 6 months until the pain stopped. They’re not cheap. But I swear they’re worth it, and you can make each one last for a long time. http://www.amazon.com/ScarAway-Long-Silicone-Healing-Sheets/dp/B001KY3IOU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1354045960&sr=8-4&keywords=scar+patch

Meagan{Green Motherhood} November 27, 2012 at 2:58 pm

She’s just beautiful! congratulations :)
Your words are why I am holding off for so long on baby numero 2. My oldest is already 2 and 1/2. I mean it’s time to make a decision here…….
But, you are so right about this newborn thing. You’ve been here before. You know what the future holds.
Some crunchy mommy tips- Vitamin B can help keep PPD at bay. Get a good liquid dropper.
I;m not sure if you did this with G, but if her belly’s acting up, probiotics are a godsend (for her and you!)
good luck! You can do this ;)

Sue November 27, 2012 at 2:58 pm

She is beautiful, you are beautiful. It will fall into place eventually. I freaked when my husband went back to work after i had #5. I cried when i had to grocery shop. But i lived-ish. You can do it! And when you can’t, blog about it. Everyone gets it. Well, everyone but THOSE women with THOSE babies. The ones that never cry and don’t care who holds them or feeds them. Congratulations again, and i hope you recover/heal soon & the c-sec pain stops!

Claire November 27, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Congratulations!!! I love the last picture, it is precious. But wait, I’m sure your doula/midwife gave you all the schpiel about skin-to-skin 24/7 and all that jazz to keep the feel-good hormone flowing and stave off the PDD? I’m a bit surprised not seeing that on the picture or perhaps it is more of an editing nightmare for the PG content.
In any case, keep doing what you are doing, my best wishes for speedy recovery and bonding with Ruby!

Brandy S November 27, 2012 at 2:59 pm

So happy to hear you’re doing well. Not happy to hear about your incision/scar BS. I had some painful unidentifiable infection after mine and was in the hospital for a week. One of my clients at work had a C-section the same day as you, came home, went back that night for 104 degree fever and is still in the hospital. C-sections are assholes (most of the time).

And can I just say that I hate suspense?? Why are we going to be surprised? Did your surgeon turn out not to be a douchebag afterall?! That’s my guess and I’m crossing my fingers.

Serial November 27, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Congrats. And thanks for being honest about the good and bad. It helps.

TAM November 27, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Hmmm burning pain? Tingling? Numbness? Ask your caregivers if it could be neuropathic. Responds well to drugs like nortryptyline or pregabalin, not so much to tylenol, advil or narcotics.

Leslie November 27, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Forget the Lee jeans, you can head straight to the Gap Reverse Fit. You’ve earned it. I’m so happy for you and Ruby Lee!

S November 27, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I can’t get over how beautiful she is. Your kids are the most gorgeous kids, and I’m allowed to say that since I don’t have kids yet. I’m still so in love with that name, and I agree ‘R’ doesn’t flow well. I hope someone who felt as crappy as you after a c section can offer you some advice! I can’t imagine how that feels, on top of breast feeding and taking care of a newborn and toddler. I hope it feels better soon!

Heather November 27, 2012 at 3:06 pm

We have very similar birth stories from #1 and I had the major burning only one one side of my incision. My doctor told me that it was from the internal stitches and sometimes it could be the side that had the knots on it. I kept ice packs in the freezer and everytime I had to get up I took a detour by the freezer for a stand still with an ice pack. It did go away after about 3-4 weeks.
I love reading your blog and this is the first time that I have commented.

Jen November 27, 2012 at 3:07 pm

This is the first time I’ve commented on here. I wanted to comment so badly to the last few posts you posted about your overwhelming desire to have the perfect birthing experience, but I didn’t want to get all “you’ll be fine… it’ll be fine” on you. Now that you have bonded and connected with baby Ruby, I feel a little more connected to you.

What I wanted to say in your final post (pre-Ruby) was that the baby bond doesn’t always come–even with a vag birth. I have 2 kids. Both were vag deliveries. So, while I can’t fully relate to your experience–both in c-section and desire for the opposite–I CAN relate to not bonding to my baby. A little over 4 years ago, I gave birth to my little boy through the hoo-ha. I didn’t bond with him for MONTHS. Maybe even longer. I remember people asking, “Are you just loving being a mommy?” “Is it like your heart is outside of your body?” I would fake it. “Yes.”, “Sure.” But, I didn’t feel like that. Truth is that I was still trying to figure it all out. He didn’t feel like mine and I didn’t have this “bond” that I had read/heard so much about. I can’t explain why some women bond with their children at first site and why some don’t. But, I will say that it is really hard to care for a newborn without that bond. Ya, they’re cute, but they don’t feel like they are yours. And I think this is something that a lot of women are not honest about.

I gave birth to my 2nd baby, a little girl, a little over a year ago. I didn’t bond when she came out and they put her on my chest. And she screamed for the first 2 hours. After they were done cleaning her up, she was bundled under the heat lamp thing–not crying. I went and got her and brought her back to my bed. It was just me and her. I remember the bond actually happening. She was so precious. She smelled so good (what is that delicious smell?!) I was so happy that I actually bonded with her. I can’t explain why it happened with her and not with my son. Maybe it’s because this time around I know what to expect? I know what I have? I have no idea. I’m just glad it happened. And I’m glad it happened for you.

I don’t know why I’m writing all of this. Maybe, in part, it’s a therapeutic exercise for myself, but I’m also happy that you were able to get that connection with Ruby. Because having experienced the lack of bond, I understand how hard it can be without it and how wonderful it can be when you get to experience it. I guess I just wanted to share, that even with vag births, some women aren’t bonding with their babies. And it’s sad. And it’s hard. And it sucks. I know there is a list of reasons why you wanted the perfect birthing experience and I understand all of that. This is just the one piece that I can relate to. I wanted to post so badly to your previous posts that maybe the c-section isn’t the reason why you didn’t bond and that you might just get that bond with your little girl this time, but I didn’t. And I guess, honestly, we’ll never know the reasons and I’m sure that’s the last thing you wanted to hear at the time.

Anyway, I’m probably repeating what hundreds of women have posted–I don’t read the comments. Best of luck to you on D-day. You’ll do great.

Krissy November 28, 2012 at 7:15 pm

this is exactly how I felt too.. my daughter was first.. and it took a while to bond, but my son? yeah, it was pretty quick. I think this is totally normal. MODG… your babies are beautiful and that pic? THe look on your face brought tears to my eyes. Beautiful!!! Congratulations!

Sara November 27, 2012 at 3:10 pm

MODG,
Ask your doc about lidoderm patches for incisional pain. Best. Stuff. Ever. And, no fogginess of thinking when B goes back to work.

Congratulation on your little peanut. She’s a cutie.

Mama Laughlin November 27, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Congrats MODG! She’s beautiful!
Now, get ready… you’re about to pull your motherfackin hair out with 2 kids.
NO ONE TOLD ME It was as hard as it is (mine are 26 months apart).
Thank GOD I could still send my then 2 year old to daycare while I was on maternity leave with the baby.
Sorry to break it to you, but tough times ahead.
GOOD NEWS!?!? … blah blah, it gets better. And easier.
But the first few months? Yeah, you’re gonna need to do a lot of pumping and dumping!
Cheers!
And hang in there! … it’s worth it and shit.
All things you knew already.

Lisa November 27, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I so glad the PPD monster fucked off this time around. That scorpion sounds like a real dick though. Congrats and I can’t wait to hear more about Ruby’s grand entrance <3

Danielle @ Casa Bower November 27, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I am so looking forward to the birth story! Hopefully the incision pain goes away soon. Congrats on your little family, I look forward to reading more about it…we have 3.4 weeks until our little man arrives and we will also become a family of 4.

Elizabeth November 27, 2012 at 3:20 pm

She is perfect! & you captured the feelings of bringing home #2 (second baby, not a giant poop) perfectly. It is hard with two and the first one will act out and get all “I am still a baby over here and all that baby stuff you thought I grew out of, guess again sister”, but eventually they become lovey. I have one little nugget of advice…get G into some sort of preschool-esque program, even for just a few hours a week. It will keep you sane, give him something that is only his (after he gets over the initial “I hate you for leaving me” thing), and gives Ruby some much need momma only time. It helped me immensely & I was totally against sending my oldest anywhere, but I did it & he loves it. My babies are 25 months apart too & the redic bill from preschool was so worth it.

Elizabeth November 27, 2012 at 3:22 pm

& not sure if you asked for it in the hospital, but get yourself some APNO (all purpose nipple ointment). It was a Godsend. Ask your midwife/nurse/lactation consultant for it. You can thank me later.

Dawn November 27, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Ruby is beautiful. Perfect fit for her ruby red cheeks. Sucks to hear you are in that much pain. For me with 3 kids under 3 and my youngest 4 weeks old, watching 2 can be done. Will you want to lock yourself in the bathroom for some “me” time or bang your head into the wall so you don’t go all ape shit on the kids? Yes, you will want to hide some of the time. But it can be done. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Erica November 27, 2012 at 3:27 pm

This post makes me so happy and I “hardly” know you… Im so glad its going well and that you feel emotionally well! I have been really nervous about the second c-section because of the digging into the old scar. At least we can all be prepared for it! Congratulations to your whole family and welcome to internet fame Ruby!!!

Mary November 27, 2012 at 3:36 pm

First off, congrats! And THANK YOU for saying you would fast-forward 6 months if you could. My little guy is 7 months old today, and the first 6 months were just so brutal. I am glad that those months are over and I am thankful that me and my husband and the babe all survived (even though I cried more during that time than I have in my entire life.) My husband and I still call the first 4 weeks Armageddon. That newborn phase is not for the weak! I have one friend who said to me around the second month of screaming babydom, “Don’t you just love everything about being a mother?” And the answer was No. No I did not. Colic, reflux, low milk supply, non-nappingness, up every 1-2 hours at night…none of that was fun, no matter how cute and tiny my little one was. And I would get so annoyed at people who would say “Cherish every moment…it goes by so fast.” Maybe if you have a sweet, sleepy baby who falls asleep sitting up and only cries when he’s hungry…sure, sign me up for that! Anyway, I just wanted to say that I feel your pain and I truly hope little Ruby Lee is much less challenging than G was. I’m sending healing thoughts to you and your scar and I am sooo glad to hear that the PPD hasn’t reared its ugly head. (I still take my placenta pills from time to time, just in case.) And always remember that you are stronger than you think. Your little girl is gorgeous…congrats again!

Misty November 27, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Not that you have extra time on your hands, but I thought about you when I read this beautiful (short) article about recovery from birth…at least make B read it :)

Terrilee November 27, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Hi Modg, congrats on the birth of Ruby Lee. Xx

Leigh Graham November 27, 2012 at 3:44 pm

My OB told me the scars tend to sting on one side. Mine faded after weeks, but a friend of mine’s wife had stinging for awhile. The thing that still gets me is itching at the scar site. So annoying, given the location!

katie November 27, 2012 at 3:46 pm

There’s the MODG I love. Welcome back/home I am ready for the good, bad & the ugly. I hope the daggers come with some Meds. cheers.

Rebecca November 27, 2012 at 3:49 pm

YAY! So glad to hear good news! I can now resume my life.

Tara Roddick November 27, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I agree that the first few months SUCK!!! I wanted to skip ahead with both children too!!! It will get better, you know that:) I can’t wait to hear the birth story! Congrats and she is beautiful!!

Kelsi November 27, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Loved this post, but cannot wait for the birth story :)

I hope the evil PPD monster keeps away and that your battle wound heals nicely!!

Beautiful pictures…Ruby is gorgeous, just like her mom!! Congrats again!

Jen H November 27, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Such a sweet picture. Now I’m crying at my desk (thanks for that).
Hope you get to feeling better super fast. Your girl is gorg!

amanda November 27, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Congratulations. Please also post in more detail about your name decision. I am in the same boat as you with a name choice I am not 100% sure about and it seems you went with something else and G helped decide. Look forward to hearing about that and more! Feel better soon!

mamamcplaza November 27, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Modg, you look and sound awesome. I love your perspective and honesty. Your little girl is beautiful, but aren’t they all? (when we know what is behind making them).

Molly November 27, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I am 4 weeks in to life with two under two (boys are 20 months apart). If it is any consolation, I had a VBAC and unfortunately, still got the sads. Guess it just happens sometimes :( Went back and read your post about doing counseling after G was born and decided that was the best move for now. Went for my first session today! So, thanks for that! Think just driving in the car BY MYSELF to the office was therapy enough. Hang in there! Ruby is gorgeous :)

MotherhoodADIM November 27, 2012 at 4:14 pm

My second c-section was the worst out of my three. It made no sense, either. We were barely able to keep the pain under control, the recovery was longer. And the moms I’ve talked to that have had more than one section all said the second was the worst.

It will get better and you’ll figure out how to manage the two, somehow, someway. You really will. (With some complete meltdowns (yours) sprinkled in here and there. And then it will pass, until the next time.) And when you finally feel like you have your shit together, then you’ll feel like supermom!

Congratulations!

Stacey November 27, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I’ve never been more happy for someone I don’t even know. I feel strangely kind of stalkerish looking forward to your pics and post but eh F it, I’ll get over it. I think your awesome and I would so have drinks/swap war stories/whatevs with you and I don’t like many ;-)

Katia November 27, 2012 at 4:21 pm

You sound optimistic and that’s awesome. I had my second one 3.5 months ago and nothing prepared for how different of an experience this would be. I identify so much with the pain you are feeling and the breastfeeding around the clock and the incessant cry. The good news? It didn’t take 6 months until the person inside my baby emerged. It didn’t even take 6 weeks until he laughed for the first time and restored my faith in his sense of humour that I thought he was totally lacking as a 5 week old. And it became so much better after that, and I didn’t even once bitch today on FB or Twitter about being up since 4am, and it’s not even rolling with the punches, it’s just having a great time with your two guys and it sounds like you will!

Jayme November 27, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Congratulations, you are handling everything so well. I just had my son, my second child 3 months ago and my daughter is now 20 months. It will be ok, it gets so much easier and once you see G and Ruby interacting you won’t be able to not bawl, it is the sweetest thing in the world to see a big sister or brother love their baby brother or sister, it is pure love at it’s finest. Both of my deliveries were c-sections, I was so afraid of being crippled but I bounced back pretty quick, give yourself time, you will be fine once B goes back to work, I promise. Keep your head up, keep smiling and when you feel like crying – cry, it’s ok :)

Stacey November 27, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Oh wait one more thing, positive note on the scorpian stinging – it could be your VADG on fire with those lil stinging feeling everytime you have to pee or poop and hey no broken girl parts right you’ll have to wait til your like 70 before peeing yourself when you laugh to hard, sneeze, cough or even jump. So there is a “slight” positive side right to a C-Section. Atleast those are the only things I’m envious of when i hear someone had a C-Section.

Anne November 28, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Yeah, except the peeing when you laugh is really from pelvic floor pressure…aka being pregnant. Or at least that can cause it as well, when you think about it, 9 months of a baby pushing down on you has got to do some damage, not just the birthing process. This from my doctor…and also from me, mama with 3 c-sections and no shortage of pee laughs.

Anne November 28, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Actually, that peeing thing comes from pelvic floor pressure too…aka being pregnant. Nine+ months of a baby pushing down on you does some damage, regardless of how you give birth. This from my doctor…and me, mama with 3 c-sections and still peeing when I laugh.

kat November 27, 2012 at 4:31 pm

So happy you’re alive and doing relatively well :) i’m preggers with our second..and…as imagined…terrified. please be gentle .

Chelsa November 27, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Do you still have the tapes on your scorpion wound? I had the stinging horrible pain, thought I was ripping open but it turned out that there was hair growing back or whatever and it was stuck to the tape, weird. No matter the cause, congratulations on beautiful Ruby. She is super-presh.

Bridget November 27, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Congrats MODG and family! Ruby is beautiful!

Sarah November 27, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Seriously BEAUTIFUL baby! Congratulations! And I know exactly how you feel about wishing for 6 months ahead. I’m pregnant with my 2nd and I’m so scared for the newborn stage.

bonzo November 27, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Okay, but if you DID call her R, then they would be G N’ R. And that is like a cold November rain and I mean that as the highest form of praise possible. Welcome to the Jungle.

Harbormom November 27, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I just want to stroke that little seashell of an ear…and smell her babyness.

Sophia November 27, 2012 at 5:46 pm

This post makes me smile so much. Well done on your positivity and chilled approach. I hope I can be as relaxed as you when my next bundle arrives. Congratulations again, Ruby Lee is a delight.

Sherrie November 27, 2012 at 5:48 pm

My second c-section recovery was far worse as well. I asked for more pain pills after they ran out and used them. One day at a time and don’t move unless you have to. Be lazy, not because you are, but because you are recovery from a MAJOR surgery. Plus you need to make milk, lots and lots of milk.

Amanda November 27, 2012 at 5:55 pm

“She’ll be Ruby. R is for naked movies and pirates. And my Ruby is neither. I think.”

You make my life better!!! My laugh of the day. She’s beautiful!

Kelly November 27, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Love x 100!! Let me just tell you those Ruby (ours is 2) aren’t cream puffs!! And that is just the way you want ‘em!! Wendy wallflower is a snooze!! Welcome to life with 2 – so happy to see pictures of the sweet little thing! Good luck with the wound-healing- yowzers! Thinking of you mama!

colleen November 27, 2012 at 6:29 pm

i can’t wait for the birth story and to hear more about little ruby. she is so beautiful and i hope that pain goes away very, very quickly. and i’m glad to her that so far ppd is nowhere near. best of luck over the next few days – hope those lee jeans end up underneath your christmas tree ;)

kelsey November 27, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Seriously….get a MOTHER TUCKER. It’s the most wonderful compression/nursing tank top. It’s $80 but worth every penny. I had my second C-section three weeks ago and like you, this time was way worse than the first. I was too fat to put on my Kourtney Kardashian Belly Bandit, but this Mother Tucker slipped right on and held me in and made me feel like I was actually a human again. I’m obsessed with it.

Mrs P November 27, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Oh My Lanta she is gorgeous! Hopefully the constant boob sucking goes quickly this time around.

Also, I came across this article today. Not sure if you’ve read it or not yet, but it’s hilarious and therefore reminded me of you http://www.chicagonow.com/baby-sideburns/2012/11/what-not-to-fing-buy-my-kids-this-holiday/

Vicki November 27, 2012 at 9:49 pm

YAY! All the best for all of you! Ruby is a beautiful little person!
Do you have a friend/relative/babysitter who can come over? I find neighborhood kids around the age of 8 are surprisingly good at playing with the toddler, so you are there but not on 100%. And toddlers love big kids.
I would offer to come play with G/keep you company a day a week or so, but that seems creepy. But if you need some support, I live in Berks County, pretty close by. Seriously. Holla back.

Nathalie November 27, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Reading this totally made me cry :) I’m way more happy for you than I think I should be, given we don’t even know each other!
I have a 20 month old and am 12 weeks pregnant with #2. I read this today and thought “this is what I have to look forward to in 6 months…” (but hopefully minus the scorpion pain… ouch!)… I had a really hard time when my son was first born and like you, took awhile to really “bond”. I’ve been worried about it again with #2 but I was so encouraged that you’ve had that right away this time around… maybe I will too. I look forward to reading more about life with 2 kids!

Jessica November 27, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Congratulations, MODG! You are both beautiful and I’m so happy for you. Hang in there, you can do it.

Jessica November 27, 2012 at 10:49 pm

You may not think so (or you may!) but I think you look absolutely beautiful in this picture. Slight pain, but beautiful! Xoxo

vicki November 27, 2012 at 11:37 pm

i sooo imagine feeling the exact same way about my future second child that i hope to have someday. because gawd, it is horrible, not knowing when/if it will ever get better with a newborn. i’m a mere 3 months in and am already feeling like i can conquer a trip to target…somedays. oh, heaven that it is. ruby is gorgeous, gorgeous.

KamiKaze November 28, 2012 at 8:26 am

I hope your scorpion scar gets better! I’m glad that you are doing well other than that problem. I still love Ruby’s name and the fact that you aren’t going to call her by “R” as that is weird and piratey.

You are so beautiful in that picture where you are holding Ruby. Can’t wait to hear about the birth story.

Jessica November 28, 2012 at 9:49 am

i get you. my baby girl is 3 months old and i love the crap out of her, but i am like, when does this newborn junk end? i still feed her every 3ish hours. she spits up like a dragon. for real, she cries every time so now she is on medicine for the acid in her throat. and we switched her to a thick formula. which constipates her. it’s awesome. and i am like, frick this stage. i want her to quit this spitting up business and waking up every 3 hours, then crying after she eats. so yah, i want to skip ahead a few months too. it’s hard to cherish time when you basically want to kill somebody.

sarah November 28, 2012 at 9:57 am

Congratulations!!! I love the name Ruby. I’m sad you didn’t get to have your VBAC, but glad everyone is doing as well as can be expected! I’m so happy for you that you have the daughter you wanted.

One thing as someone who knows Japanese… it’s spelled hara-kiri! :)

Lydia November 28, 2012 at 11:11 am

Congratulations dude! She’s gorgeous. And yeah, whole different deal the second time around – some of it good, some of it not-so-good … but you will be fine.

Lindsay November 28, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Beautiful! I’m sorry about the stabbiness, and so glad to hear that PPD is minding its damn business elsewhere. I will say as someone with some history of depression that I’ve learned not to look at it as fate. You are so not doomed to PPD this time because you had it last time. And I am 100% with you on skipping the newborn phase. I might just skip four months or so, but totally with you. I loved my daughter like crazy from about day 3, but that always-screaming, always-eating, never-sleeping shit is just Not Fun. Godspeed through the next few months!

Beth November 28, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Congrats! She’s beautiful, you’re beautiful, your family is beautiful.

Best wishes for D day, don’t hesitate to ask your friends/family for help while you recover.

Ragini November 28, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Aww that picture is precious! Congrats MODG. Ruby’s beautiful!

Katie @ mommy brain blog November 28, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Congrats, MODG! Ruby is gorgeous! I am super interested to read all the future informative and hilarious posts about kickin’ it at home with two kids. I am actually not that nervous about having a number 2 (future hypothetical number 2) because I figure I learned so much with numero uno, I now know all about babies. (Right!) On the flip side, I have no free time whatsoever (except when I read mommy blogs at work but that’s totally different) so not sure how to fit a newborn into my life which is completely consumed by a toddler. So actually maybe I am super nervous about number 2.. Anyways, I’m looking forward to learning from you!! Hope the baby blues stay away and hope the flaming scorpions are on their way OUT!

Amanda November 28, 2012 at 7:40 pm

I checked on your blog today for the first time since October and was SO excited to read your birth story! I actually teared up when I saw pictures of Ruby, especially the one of you holding her. I think a lot about my future as a mom, because it’s what I’ve always wanted to be, and you are one of my biggest inspirations. Reading your blog has given me a lot of insight into the unplanned, “scary” stuff that no one really tells you about pregnancy, but you’ve handled everything with hilarity and grace (and you’re allllways well-dressed!) I hope you’re really enjoying your time with your babies because they are precious and you deserve to be nothing but happy.

Ashlee November 29, 2012 at 1:58 am

How the crap did I miss this post!? love the photos, she is beautiful! My daughter is an “R” name and I too could not just use the letter…it’s a little weird. I think Ruby is such a beautiful name. Congrats again Mama MODG!