FINALLY the Big Boy Room Pictures and source list.

Thank you all for your positive stories and advice. I have to admit I’m an emotional mess. I called B this morning at work crying…

Me: I c c c aaan’t have an o o other c c c c sectio o o o n

It’s so hard to stay positive right now. But I’m doing the best I can. So to take our minds off of my vagina and onto bigger and better things, let’s do some big boy room shit. By the way STILL NO SUN. I had like 30 seconds of sun today and I RAN to the room with my camera and the sky was like GOT YOU. It just wanted to see a 39 week pregnant woman run.

So we’re going with what we have because I’m ovah it.

First let’s credit the uber talented, fabulous and foul mouthed MFAMB. If you don’t read her blog, you are foolish. Really. Here’s how it went down every day. She would give me ideas and I’d be like I NEED MORE SPECIFIC INFORMATION. I need you to tell me exactly where to put that frame and where to put the books that go in the box because my brain doesn’t work anymore. And she would. And not call me a nut job. She does this service for people in the world. She is fabulous.

We started with this inspiration, put together by MFAMB:

I loved it and wanted it exactly like this. That didn’t completely happen for reasons which I will explain. But the inspiration to start was great.

Here is the before picture of the room. Our old guest room:

And now the after

BIG BOY ROOM! You’ll see I committed the #1 design crime: ceiling fan. I apologize to the design world but it’s hot. We need a fan. Deal.

Yep, it’s a lot of orange. That table is fluorescent orange and in the West Elm picture it is the color of sand. Tricky West Elm. Tricky.

I think my favorite element is tied between the awesome vintage dresser find on Craigslist for 60 bucks and the blow up of G picking his nose. Equally great.

All the chachkies we had or were toys that G didn’t play with anymore because they don’t scream songs and light up your face. Of course NOW he wants to play with them. Sorry kid. Sacrifice to the design gods.

Photograph by yours truly. My talents know no bounds.

You’ll see that there are GASP markers and paint in these tins. This is something we call “styling” a picture. Because the second these pictures are over, that shit comes out. I’m no fool, a 2 year old can’t be trusted. Toys and cars will go in them until he can act right.

B built these after only 3 fights and 1 crying session. Win.

That picture is the day B and I first met. And that equation below it is real math.

Chach.

Books chosen from our house on purpose.

The art is all done by a great friend of ours which I’ll tell you all about

Obv a deer head.

Kids are really the only ones that get tons of pictures of themselves in their own room. I asked B, I can’t do this is my room.

See what happened here?

And there you have it. A complete big boy room. This process started in April and finished TODAY. That is 8 months friends. And I say this because this wasn’t all bought at once and definitely not accomplished all at once with a 2 year old in the house. This was blood sweat and vomit. But I do really have to credit all of the work to B and all of the design to MFAMB. I did nothing. Thank god for that.

Now what you really want. The source list.

Bed: Amazon

Blue zig zag quilt: PB Teen

Stars sheets:  Company Store

Fluffy Pillow: West Elm

Orange quilt:Land of Nod

Table and chairs: West Elm

Tins and wire picture hanger: Ikea

Curtain fabric: Spoonflower

Toy bins: Container Store

Rug: Urban Outfitters

Nightstand: Ikea (expedit single cube)

Nightstand light:Ikea

Ceiling fan: Lowes

Hanging rockets: Land of Nod

Bob Dylan art: Concepcion Designs (a very good friend of ours and insanely talented)

Robot print: All Posters

Rocket Print: All Posters

Dresser: Craigslist bitches!

2 white lamps: Lamps Plus

blue guitar: Amazon

Orange clock: Urban Outfitters (sold out)

deer head: Urban Outfitters

If there is something you see that isn’t on this list it’s because we already owned it. This was work to put together my friends. To thank me, please go visit MFAMB and have her design a room for you. Or have her paint a picture for you. Or have her scour your local craigslist for you for awesome shit OR have her recap American Horror Story for you with MS Paint drawings. Because she does all of that. And she is in commercials. Really.

I hope you like the room as much as we do. No, G isn’t in it yet. We wanted to have it ready for him to get used to before switching him. It will be a few months. So if you want to rent it out for the night, it’s 700 a night.

I take paypal.

______________________

Sponsor shout out to Vaccishield. Awesome product that I give to G before his vaccines to make reactions less severe. Packed with vitamins, totally natural and just a powder that looks like cocaine. It’s not. You sprinkle it in their food and magic health fairies arrive. Check them out. I highly recommend. She is giving 15% off with the code MODG at checkout. Woohoo!

POSTED IN: Awesome things,Mom Stuff,Nursery,Preg Stuff,Style

Emily D. November 5, 2012 at 2:46 pm

so when are we gonna see the babies nursery?!
adorable big boy room by the way!

MODG November 5, 2012 at 2:50 pm

No new nursery. Sorry to disappoint. It was do one new room or 2 and the budget said one.

Amy@drivethirtythree November 5, 2012 at 2:49 pm

wahoo!! looks amazing!!!
umm…does G have his own poop chairs??!?!

MODG November 5, 2012 at 2:50 pm

YES HE DOES. Good eye.

Brandy November 5, 2012 at 2:53 pm

PERFECT.

CA November 5, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Cutest big-boy room ever! If I were you I’d spend more time in there than my own room.

Amy H. November 5, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Wow, that’s impressive. Thanks for making me feel like a loser. My son’s room still has the letters of his sister’s name hanging on the wall by his crib. #slacker

Melissa G November 5, 2012 at 2:54 pm

This is awesome! I will copy it in approximately a year and a half!

Shannon November 5, 2012 at 2:57 pm

As someone with a LD vaj I’m highly offended by this post! Just Kidding!

LOVE the room! Especially the little table and chairs art corner. Perfect.

Elise November 5, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Oo very nice room!

On your other note about csection. (disclaimer: this is only an opinion) I was induced with my son. The Dr asked me on the 6 week follow up appointment what I was thinking for future children, VBAC or what? After much consideration my preferences are 1. VBAC 2. Scheduled C Section 3. (last resort) induction. Cuz seriously, induction sucked ass (for me) so much and I ended up with a C Section anyways. I would much rather walk in, have a c section and walk out, than lay around a hospital for 3 days being induced only to have a c section at 2am anyway. Blech. So that’s that.

Good luck on the VBAC! And *if* for some reason you need a C Section you at least know the recovery routine and your girly bits will remain unstretched (Chris Christie and all) ;)

tara November 5, 2012 at 2:58 pm

The room looks amazing! Nice job MFAMB, B, and you for taking the awesome pictures of G and the room.

Also, your vagina is not broken, it’s awesome. But I will totally let you punch the DMV telephone man I just talked to in the face if it will make you feel better.

Nikki November 5, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Love times a million.

When I saw the first picture of the “before” I thought it seemed pretty girly for a big boy room. But I quickly realized my error. I am also pregnant and obviously a little slow in the head.

Andra November 5, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Love all the family pics throughout. Especially the one of you and B.

julie s. November 5, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I love it. And apparently so does my 18-mo daughter, she pointed at it several times with a food-covered finger and put some really great shmears across my monitor. I’m hoping this gives me inspiration to start her big girl room, seeing as she also has a sibling arriving just about a month before her 2nd birthday.

demi November 5, 2012 at 3:09 pm

LOOKS AMAZING!! Well done!! :) Straight out of a magazine, I wouldn’t be surprised if you and MFAMB won a design award for this! P.S. We have been using Vaccishield for years-great product!

Amy November 5, 2012 at 3:10 pm

You seriously do such a good job. I am completely clueless when it comes to decorating and will need your help some day. Looks great!

Morgan November 5, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Does a MFAMB fit into your pocket? I wish she did. I could show her something in a store and she could tell me to either shut the fuck up and put it back and buy it immediately. I like how she uses profanity to make her point about desing. Great job B, MODG & MFAMB.. love you all… except B, that would be weird. Sorry B.

Julie November 5, 2012 at 3:15 pm

LOVE it!

Jen November 5, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I don’t know if this will help you at all, but I thought I’d share anyway. I had an ugly c-section experience with my first and wanted a vbac so bad with my second. The decision came down to the morning of my scheduled c-section when I was starting to contract. I ended up going with the c-section. Of course, I’ll never know what it would have been like the other way, but the c-section went so so very well. It could not have been a better experience. So if you have to have a c-section, I’m sure it will go so much better than you are thinking it will. Lots of luck to you :-)

Danielle @ Casa Bower November 5, 2012 at 3:18 pm

looks great! I fully commend your decision to do 1 room instead of 2, even if it was a purely budget based decision. Getting ready for the second child is hard enough, let alone the transition from nursery to big girl/boy room, and adding another kid to the mix…it is enough to make a pregnant girl want to drink….not that I have, but I kind of want to. We ended up deciding to do a nursery, and making minimal changes to our daughters room, to help with the transition to being a big sister. We will see in 6-7 weeks how that turned out. Stay tuned for that mama-drama….

Kiran@Masala Chica November 5, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I LOVE it. I was so bad doing the room transitions. My big girl came before my little boy. I managed to make her big room girl very, very GIRLY. My little boy who inherited the nursery, however, still has butterflies on curtains which I never switched out.

Last I checked, Butterflies could be ANY gender. So whatever.
I like the guitar. My kids are both totally going to rock stars. I should probably tell them now.
Kiran

Sara from No Purple Walls November 5, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Precious gems. I was making stuff for the nursery the night before I had to be induced. All the thumbs all the way up for having a week of not having to worry about that shit. And hopefully no more than a week. Maybe the baby will just be mad jealous and come out tonight and call dibbs on the room before G sees what’s coming.

Rebecca November 5, 2012 at 3:43 pm

looks fantastic, MODG! G will know how much his mother cares :) or something.

designstiles November 5, 2012 at 3:58 pm

MFAMB makes me pee my pants. I remember when she shared these concept boards. No clue they were for G. I immediately noticed the nose picking picture. Definitely my favorite touch. I say that stays up until he starts dating.

Anna November 5, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Love it. He can totally grow in to this too so you won’t be changing it a million times- nice work.

Going to have to work out how to get Georges ukelele on the wall now- looks really good.

Well done B- LOVE the book shelves.

Leslie [MsMagpieWrites] November 5, 2012 at 4:09 pm

LOVE. IT. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate a kid’s room with no Sponge Bob/Mickey Mouse/Cars theme. And I want those curtains for my husband’s office.

Heather November 5, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I am so jealous of that room! I adore orange!!
About the c, I know how you feel. After a lot of thought, I ended up doing a planned c. I was terrified, but it was a lot easier than the first time since I knew what was coming and wasn’t exhausted by labor. I was up walking that night and recovery was much better.
Whatever happens, remember that in the end, you’ll have your beautiful daughter. And keep telling yourself this when she’s 13 and being a little beeyatch. ;)

kim November 5, 2012 at 4:20 pm

LOVE! I just ordered that quilt on sale from PBTeen for my guest room – not even a kid’s room!

Kelly @ Turned up to Eleven! November 5, 2012 at 4:27 pm

HOLY SHIT! Sorry excuse my mouth but this is freaking awesome!!!! (I really wanted to say the F word but I’m trying to work on being PG with my comments… trying!)

I love every inch of this room and the photo is awesome above the bed. SO much personality!

Lastly… living in the South I’m totally A-OK with that ceiling fan, especially one that looks that cool! He will totally thank you years from now on a hot summer day!

ROCK ON!

Kristen S November 5, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Its amazing and perfect!! I love it! Makes me want a little boy so bad. My daughter just turned 1 and I have severe baby fever!!!!

Heather November 5, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Love it!

Katie @ mommy brain blog November 5, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Amazing! I love the colors. And the little orange table with the poop chairs? Perfection. I have been waiting for this post. Thanks for sharing with us before Yoshi arrives : )

Shan November 5, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Awesome (as usual)! Love the colors, love it all — and your nursery TOTALLY works for a girl too, once you add her little things along the way it will have a new feel I’m sure of it. :) Here’s hoping for no c-section (although if it does go down it’ll be alright).

Kristin Leigh November 5, 2012 at 6:37 pm

My dear friend Catie designed Vaccishield right here in Eugene, Oregon! I am so stoked that you used it and you are promoting it to others. It is a wonderful product and she is an amazing ND, as well as an inspiring mom and a great friend. Yay!

Suzanne November 5, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Looks great!! I especially like the neon orange table and the “photo styled” pails on the wall above it. Super cute!

I feel like I remember MFAMB posting a couple different moodboard options of this room on her blog a few months back and asking readers for their opinions. Obvi she didn’t tell us that you were the client. Tricky, MFAMB. Tricky….

Grace November 5, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Love it! The shelves are awesome – great job B! Is that G book full of pics of G?! Where did you get that?

Mrs. Dubose November 5, 2012 at 9:05 pm

What a beautifully done room! It is warm and inviting and you can honestly see how much you love your son in every detail, including the humorous ones– nose picking? Very clever! I will take a peek at MFAMB– she did a fantastic job. I love reading your blog. Kids really do grow up fast. Honestly, it seems like yesterday when I was designing my own little boy’s rooms and now one is in college and one is a senior in high school. I recently started a blog that talks a bit about the other side of motherhood– approaching the empty nest! I am so glad to see how much you enjoy being a mother and I know you are going to delight in having a little girl. Many blessings to you and your beautiful family.

Karen November 5, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Your body is strong and powerful and I believe you will get your VBAC. Do not even think the word “c-section,” let alone say it out loud. You are well-prepared and you can do this!!!

Jennifer November 6, 2012 at 8:34 am

I’m not sure why I laughed so hard at the sentence “obv a deer head” but jeez… you get me going girl! LOVE the room more than any room I’ve ever seen, ever.

Jenny Jane S November 6, 2012 at 8:34 am

Love the room! And a lot can happen in 2 weeks, I’m sure you’ll get your vbac.

Venassa November 6, 2012 at 10:04 am

Wow, that room is amazing. I wish I had any kind of decorating talent at all, but I don’t.

Valorie Hart - The Visual Vamp November 6, 2012 at 10:18 am

LOVE the room. MFAMB a major talent.
Love your post and description and photos.
xo xo

Mandy Dickerson November 6, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Love the room and your blog. I am 30 weeks pregnant also with my 2nd child and I swear to GOD I don’t know how I’m going to make it through the next 10 weeks. Your humor is very therapeutic to me and helps me feel like I’m not the only ungrateful, angry (not really. just hormonal.), uncomfortable pregnant woman in the world. Good luck!

jackie jade November 6, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Love this room! I do not have kids, but hope that when I do, their rooms are even half this cute!!

Christina November 6, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I love your blog and always make sure I laugh extra loud when my husband is around so he’ll ask what’s funny and I can share your blog (and show him that my sense of humor isn’t as unique and as weird as he claims it to be). I had to leave a comment because I got super excited when I saw that the Today show repinned a picture from your big boy room! I’m thinking that’s pretty much an invite to go on their show.

Megan November 6, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Fantastic room…love the nose-picking picture, headboard, shelves, collage of fabrics, use of different shades of blues, book collection, rug, ummmm what else? Love it all, well done! Pinned a few idea for my son’s room transformation that has already been under way a few months, so I feel your (decorating with a 2-yr-old) pain.

Rachel B - Busy Mama November 7, 2012 at 10:40 am

Okay, absolutely LOOOOOVE the room! Such a perfect and well thought out little boy’s room! Definitely going to be saving MFAMB’s website address because Mini Terrorist is getting closer and closer to a big boy bed. Pinning the eff out of this post!

Dawn November 9, 2012 at 8:11 am

Love it! Where did you get the tins and racks for the art supplies? I’m looking for something just like that for my daughter’s art supplies.

caree November 9, 2012 at 9:25 am

the navy corduroy elephant! so cute! where??

Pearce77 November 13, 2012 at 11:34 am

Nice job on the redesign! I jumped here from AT’s post about your project.
Cheers from Milwaukee – Mike

Shelley @ Dream Child Organics November 13, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I really love this room! I like the reclaimed dresser – very eco chic. And I really like the idea of a shelf high up for all the cute wooden toys etc. that he’s grown out of. And the blown up picture over the bed – priceless!

I also LOVE chevrons in kids rooms. Check out my line of organic duvet covers with scooter and chevrons:

PS I’m going to check out this designer to do my wee one’s room when she transitions to her big girl bed. I want the room to be all vintage and eco, to use in my blog of course…

Tara November 19, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Holy crap, awesome room! So happy I found your blog, it rules!