It’s vaginal awareness day and yes I’m VERY aware and so is my 39 week old baby.

Hello old friends,

It’s been a spell hasn’t it? In the time where you and I have sorely missed each other, I have become more pregnant than ever before, we have survived a hurricane, had our first successful child halloween, and celebrated B’s birthday and I’ve done these things without committing bodily harm to any individuals. This is an accomplishment friends. Through this post I’ll show you some pictures of things you’ve missed.

See, with G’s pregnancy I got to 38 weeks and my water was all, PARTY and broke. This spiraled into terrible non existent labor and a c-section. When I passed that point in this pregnancy, I felt so happy I could pee (non uterus water, just actual pee). However, I didn’t realize how much harder it is to be pregnant at 39+weeks. It’s no joke. It feels like my vagina is holding in a Chris Christie with a few strings and scotch tape.

And yes, we survived a hurricane. I literally thought I would 1) go into labor and have to have this baby by candlelight on the bathroom floor. And I wouldn’t even be able to tell someone to get a pot of boiling water because we wouldn’t have power. Not that I know what that’s for or anything. But even though I cried a little every time the wind blew, we made it with down power for a few hours and no damage. Other than to B’s ego. WHO DOESN’T GET SPARE BATTERIES FOR THE FLASHLIGHTS? B thinks hurricanes aren’t real. He told me he was most worried about having to get more groceries. You know, more than worried about our lives.

Now here I sit, hour to hour, day to day waiting for something. Anything to happen. I have had minimal braxton hicks. I stare at the toilet water every time I visit it for what everyone tells me should be a mucus plug. Sickness. No plugs or mucus. Just pee. So much pee. Our toilet paper costs have doubled. And I deal with the balance of doing stuff to make the baby come versus not doing too much to break my water like it did the first time. Because we are looking at 3 scenarios people…from best to worst case:

1) I go into labor on my own, with normal contractions and have the baby just like every other idiot on I Didn’t Know I was Pregnant. Except probably not in the toilet. But I’d take it if I had to.

2) I don’t go into labor on my own in time (41 weeks is my cut off for a VBAC) but I have dialated some on my own and get induced. I at least get a shot then at a vaginal birth.

3) I don’t go into labor on time, I don’t dialate at all and have to have a C-section. This would kill me.

So this week we’ll probably start doing some “stuff”. Sweeping membranes. Sounds nice doesn’t it? It’s not. It’s when they give your cervix a twist and a punch to get things going. I asked my midwife about all the other things. Like sex to get the baby out. She said that’s something that men made up to have sex. And that is why I love her. But really nothing is proven with the pineapple or the extra walking or the spicy foods or the playing Nickelback on repeat to your stomach (I’d climb out of a vagina too to escape that). So we sort of wait. And hope.

In the mean time I promised you a few things. First, the winner of the contest from last post: Winner you have a few days to contact me. If I go into labor, you’re on your own sister so make it fast….

The randomizer chose the winner and the winner is:

Rae Rae October 25, 2012 at 8:50 pm
Owen is obsessed with garbage cans, rubber bands, and string cheese wrappers. Who needs toys?

Email me at modgblog@gmail.com

And of course the Big Boy Room. See, I’ve been waiting for a sunny day to take some nice pictures. I know you’re like, F that MODG just show us the goods. But my designer worked so hard, I want the best possible pictures I can. And of course as I’m waiting for this sunny day, we get a hurricane and 9 straight days of death clouds. Even our sunny days are like sick and disgusting cloudy. So if I don’t get sun tomorrow, I’ll show you the pictures and be done with it.

So check tomorrow.

K. Love you. Please keep my vagina in your thoughts.

Shout out to fire safety. Love, G.

POSTED IN: Mom Stuff,Preg Stuff,Sharing

Meagan{Green Motherhood} November 4, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Um, he;s just about the cutest firefighter, ever!

ok, I can’t believe I’m about to actually type this out, but it’s not the sex that gets labor started, it’s the nipple stimulation and an orgasm (so you can kind of skip the whole sex part if it’s too awkward).
Spicy food helped me. That and an hour hike. Just make sure to rest once labor actually starts. Save up your energy.
Maybe I should have made this comment annonymous……

Sophia November 4, 2012 at 3:17 pm

The stretch and sweep got things started for me! So go and sweep that membrane, I say!

Katie C November 4, 2012 at 3:17 pm

A couple suggestions from another ‘hopeful’ VBAC mama…Red Raspberry Leaf tea: drink a few cups a day. Evening Primrose Oil…orally, or lance the pill and use ahem, otherwise. Check with midwife on both of these, but generally they are safe for VBAC and who knows, may help?? Best wishes!

Leigh November 4, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I found buying something pregnancy specific to work. In my case, I bought more iron pills after putting it off for a few days. Later that day I went in for an NST and was sent over to the hospital to be “induced”… Which turned out just to be having my water broken.

Audrey November 4, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Nipple stimulation helps, but seman helps ripen the cervix, but you need a LOT of it. Don’t sweep the membranes and don’t drink castor oil. Everyone I know who did either, greatly regretted it and had harder than previous labors. Just wait. You’re at 39 weeks. Just wait and relax. It will be better than stressing and doing something unnecessary.

Audrey November 4, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Oh, also the ORGASMS from sex help too. So lots of orgasms and seman. More fun than sweeping membranes. Good luck!!!! You got this.

Kmac November 4, 2012 at 3:22 pm

This worked for me:
You have to cycle through all the points in a specific order and keep at it forEVER. But it works.
Here is how to cycle through the points:

Leslie [MsMagpieWrites] November 4, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I was having a beyond uberbitch day and it completely cheered me up to find out you aren’t dead from the hurricane. Thank you, and good luck with your membranes.

Jillian November 4, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Check into pressure points. Goes along with the hippie midwife stuff ;) I was 6 days late with my last pregnancy, worked the pressure points for 5 minutes and 15 min later it was a go. Baby was out in 6 hours. Totally amazing.

Lisa November 4, 2012 at 3:52 pm

My body must be hippy-hating because after my water had been broken for 12+ hours we started pressure points. Took 16 freaking hours for labor to start. I was bruised for days.

Krista November 4, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Sex —> Semen. You really only need his orgasm, but yours won’t hurt. Worked with my third (only one ivtried it with) and 30 minutes later was having contractions every 3 minutes. I was 0 cm that morning.

Audrey k November 4, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Has your Dr/Midwife (not sure what you are going with) talked to you about a cervical ripening balloon for inducing? I was scared to death of Cervadil and my midwife suggested the balloon thingy. It worked so well for me! I was induced at 41 weeks.

MODG November 5, 2012 at 1:13 pm

no cervical ripening devices allowed with a vbac. too risky for rupture

Audrey k November 5, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Didn’t even think of that. That sucks. Just wanted to let you know that I had a not-so-great birth experience with my first, and a wonderful second one. The difference with the second was that I was more educated and I had a midwife that I loved and trusted. You seem to have both of those things as well so I think the odds are in your favor! Good luck to you and your cervix!

Kelsi November 4, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Stretching my membranes worked for me, but holy hell I came up off the table when my Dr. performed that little trick. That was worse than contractions…ok maybe not, but FFFFFF!! I was exactly 40wks and 1 fast, I went into labor by myself that night, and my water broke after I had my epidural at 7cm. Good luck my friend!

PS love the fire fighter costume!!

Kelsi November 4, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Lol day not fast!

Liz November 4, 2012 at 4:16 pm

My doctor didn’t use nice words like sweeping and stretching my membranes….she scraped them. And it hurt. Like hell. But by god it worked! Went into labor less than 8 hours later at 40 weeks and 6 days. Do it! P.S. my water never broke. Dr had to break it for me. 40 minutes later and Jackson was here, 100% au naturale.

Hillary November 4, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I am 41+3 with my second. My first came a couple days before her due date. WE KNOW WHO THE GOOD CHILD IS, DON’T WE?!

Yaz November 4, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Honestly, you should just wait. If you do stuff or take something to help you dilate it might put you in a situation where you don’t progress bc the baby isn’t ready to come out.

MODG November 5, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I know this is my biggest fear. But I’m also scared to get to 41 weeks with no progress and have to go straight in for a c section

Yaz November 5, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Well at least by 41 weeks you’d of given her a chance to come out vaginally. At least you know you gave it enough time. Honestly, Your chasing after a toddler all day, which means your being very active. She will probably slide on out. I wouldn’t worry so much. Enjoy your last few days.

Yaz November 5, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Also, with your second the baby doesn’t drop till right before labor, and you usually don’t dilate beforehand either.

Jen November 4, 2012 at 4:30 pm

MODG, I’m an OBGYN and you can certainly induce a VBAC even if you haven’t gone into started to dilate on your own. Has your midwife talked about using a foley bulb/balloon? If not google it. It’s a medicine-free (ie no pitocin) way to get you to 3-4cm dilated. After that, pitocin or AROM (breaking your bag of water) or both depending on what’s cooking. If you want your best shot at avoiding a C/S you mine as well know everything that is out there right?? Of course everything has risks and me posting this should not be susbstituted for medical advice from your provider blah blah blah legal stuff. Good luck!! -Jen at themamayears.com

Aubrey November 4, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Was induced at 41 weeks 5 days and had a 10 pound 5 ounces baby. My vag was a disaster. I labored for 20 hours to make it 10 cm, 100% effaced then put in for an emergency c-section. I’m positive I didn’t need the section. The entire time I was being prepared I was shouting about how I’m going to have a VBAC for my next one, then puked all over my husband while I was on the operating table. You’re an inspiration of perseverance MODG. I didn’t even have my first out and I already knew I wanted to try a VBAC for the next! Positive vag vibes!

Morgan November 4, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I had my membranes “stripped” … Sounds way sexier. I didn’t know it was coming, which I think helped make it more startling than painful. It worked for me and worked for my SIL, but not for my bf. But I think it’s better than sticking pills up your vag, so there’s that. Oh and ps, your plug can come out all at once or slowly over time. It kinda lookalike your vag has a bad cold and sneezed without covering its mouth. Nasty. Good luck and hang in there!

Jaclyn November 4, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Modg,

Sex works. I am a labor and delivery nurse. Sex works, but only if you both enjoy it. You need the semen and the orgasmic uterine contractions.

Also on that note… Relax! Baby Girl will come when and how she needs to. Sometimes women force early labor and end up in the hospital with non -functional labor and end up with a C/S or for TOLAC’s (Trial Of Labor After Cesarean.. you are not a VBAC till you have accomplished the TOLAC).

I am all for stripping of the membranes, sex and long walks. Most of the other tricks torture you (aka heartburn after spicy foods), laxatives (cause false labor), railroad tracks (never work).

Get the best rest you can, take long walks, and enjoy only having one child and no 2am feedings yet!

Morgan November 4, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Railroad tracks?

MODG November 5, 2012 at 1:15 pm

ugh so I not only am supposed to have sex THIS pregnant I’m supposed to have an orgasm? That is insanity in a bottle.

Heather November 4, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Sorry you’re still pregnant. Super cute little fireman though!

Allison November 4, 2012 at 5:40 pm

With my daughter I tried everything, the evening primrose, sex, spicy food, walking up stairs. for me none of it worked. The membrane stripping did nothing but hurt. At 41 weeks 1 day I took the homeopathic remedy Caulophyllum and went into labor a few hours later. not sure if it was just coincidence or not. But from what the midwives have told me it usually works. I only took it to avoid the chemical induction. The baby had not really dropped and wasn’t in a good position so it made for a long hard labor. I would only take it as a last resort.

The Reset November 4, 2012 at 6:01 pm

MODG, where’d you get that little helper stool G is standing on in the first pic? I need one. (Also, I’m 12 weeks behind you with my second girl and also facing one of those three scenarios. Hope you get the best one!)

MODG November 5, 2012 at 1:16 pm

It’s called a learning tower. expensive, but best purchase ever.

Ellen November 4, 2012 at 6:06 pm

I went 40 +3 with my 9lb 2oz giant baby. I had heard breaststroke kick helped start labor by doing something to your pelvic muscle. Whatever, I was desperate. I squashed myself into a swimsuit and proceeded to do 40 laps of breaststroke kick with a kickboard. I went in to labor 4 hours later. Coincidence? Maybe. But I wasn’t pregnant the next night.

MK November 4, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Oh, MODG. I feel ya. I’m at 39 weeks too and it feels like baby’s about to fall out, yet NOTHING IS HAPPENING. Gettin’ desperate.

Katie E. November 4, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I had to be induced with both. No biggie, they came out. Now they are playing on the floor, and I swear you can’t tell if they came out of the V hole or through a C-section. Nor can you tell if they were breastfed or not. So that’s fine. Stay healthy, and glad you survived your first little hurricane.

MODG November 5, 2012 at 1:17 pm

yes I hear this a lot. That is fine for many people, but if you read my birth story the first time around, you’ll know why it’s so important to me to have a vaginal birth. Not everyone understands and that’s ok. But it’s something that is important to us.

Courtney November 4, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Wanna know when my due date is? TODAY. Or, perhaps I should say, I WAS DUE today, since today is pretty much over. And I’m analyzing very single twinge and toilet paper and stomach cramp (usually because I have to poop, which sucks from the hemorrhoid).

We’re talking induction at 41 weeks and 2 days or so. That’s a WHOLE NOTHER WEEK AT WORK. Fuck.

nevena November 4, 2012 at 7:39 pm

The Chris Christie bit killed me. With my first girl I was two weeks late. And the people who were all like, “Gee, what’s the big deal, it’s just a couple extra weeks” are no longer able to talk for lack of tongues. It’s terrible. I’m sorry. I know everyone’s different, but with both of my girls the whole membrane strippage got things going for me. I hope it works for you, too. Or, you know, that you just wake up one morning and there she is at the foot of your bed, smiling up at you – magical pain-free-in-your-sleep-delivery. Hey, it could happen.

Rosie November 4, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I’m a firm believer in scheduling something exciting for every day that you don’t have the baby. Not having the baby today? Awesome, now you get to go get a pedicure! Having the baby today? Awesome, you get to skip your pedicure because you’re finally pushing that sucker out! Either way it’s win-win.

But I feel you on the discomfort – I’m 35.5 weeks pregnant with twins and hanging on for dear life but I KNOW that once we hit 37 weeks and I start feeling a little less terrified of prematurity they’ll decide to just hang out in here as loooooong as possible. Makes me glad I’m still working – it’s a heck of a lot easier to teach a trillion middle schoolers than it is to watch my 1 & 3-year-olds!

Rachael November 4, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Whaaaaat. When did G get so grown up looking. I’m dying. That means my kid is even older. And I’m not even pregnant again yet.

tara November 4, 2012 at 8:25 pm

So glad you survived the hurricane! But sadness we don’t get to meet Yoshe yet! Happy Birthday to B who sucks at buying batteries. And Happy Halloween to the cutest fireman ever! He looks totally over you guys in that picture. He’s like where the eff is my candy?!

Okay and sorry for being a grammar spelling bitch whore, but everyone above? It’s spelled semen, not seman.

Audrey November 5, 2012 at 1:08 am

Gah.. I’m a terrible speller. Totally missed that typo. But maybe my phone thought I meant sex with a lot of sailors :”)

Melanie November 4, 2012 at 8:28 pm

This might be totally unhelpful, if, say, you have a major fear of needles, but acupuncture worked for me both times in getting labor moving. I started going 1-2x/wk at 37 weeks and then, the 2nd time around, begged the acupuncturist to really send me into labor when I was 39.5 weeks. He hit a major point in the space between my thumb and index finger on my right hand (it actually hurt–and I didn’t find that acupuncture usually hurt), but I went into labor that night and had a baby 10 hours later at home (planned home birth). Will be hitting up an acupuncturist again as I near my due date at the end of this year–and I’ve discussed this with my midwives ad nauseum and they don’t think that acupuncture can send a woman into labor before her body is good and ready–it just kind of helps it prepare…

MODG November 5, 2012 at 1:18 pm

acupuncture is definitely on my list of to-do’s if we get to that point.

Stacy November 4, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Stripping membranes worked with my first. I did have a long and hard labor but that’s because she was facing posterior. So back labor from hell. I’m 37 weeks with twins now and I’m gong to ask the dr to induce me Friday. I’m so large and uncomfortable. Plus I don’t think they will let me go past the 12th anyway. I have secret hopes I will just go into labor on my own but so far nothing. Lost the mucous plug but no contractions or “show.” Nothing.

Good luck with everything.

K November 4, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Oh your little boy!! He is DARLING. Thinking of you. Have a beautiful vbac. xo

Samantha November 4, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Hey, MODG. Long time reader, first time…..ok, nope. Thought it wouldn’t sound as cheesy typing it as it does in my head…. it totally does. ANYWAY, you get what I’m throwing down.

A couple things… I say if you’re brave enough for the sweep, do it. I had it with both my pregnancies and it definitely moved things along. I mean, I told my ob that she was off my christmas card list because DAMN that shizz is not fun but secretly I loved her for getting things moving.

Also, hells ya to the pre labour sex. I didn’t need to go that route with my second as he was early, but I did with the first and it was definitely the orgasm that did it. *Impending over share warning here* I’d say about 5 seconds after orgasming I had the biggest, strongest braxton hicks contraction…..that just stuck around. For like 12 hours. No word of a lie…. just a rock hard belly all night and into the morning when my water broke. SO. YA. Get on it. Hehe.

Lastly……mucus plug is such a horrible word. Who came up with that one anyway?!?!? In and of itself, it is not pleasant….why give it an even more unpleasant name?? I move that we all band together and choose a more appropriate name. We can do so much better than mucus plug. Wine cork, perhaps? Because it sort of IS like a cork, but mostly because it reminds us that once baby arrives, wine is back in town too!!

Good luck with everything! Looking forward to hearing about the newest addition.

MODG November 5, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I literally can not believe you had an orgasm during pregnant sex. Trophies for you.

Eileen November 4, 2012 at 11:39 pm

At 38 weeks, we had sex, and within the hour, the mucous plug passed. Just sayin’…..

Gracie November 5, 2012 at 12:03 am

Why is 41 weeks your cut off for a VBAC? J/w, I’m not versed on these things – “All things I know about pregnancy I learned from MODG.”
Also, G reminds me of Mason Disick. Except cuter of course.
Good luck with the VBAC, you can do it! And if it doesn’t happen – you’ll still have a beautiful little baby girl. Woohoo!

MODG November 5, 2012 at 1:19 pm

It’s dangerous to go much further in case of uterine rupture (deadly)

Jessica November 5, 2012 at 10:39 pm

and the placenta poops out at around that point :(

Gracie November 6, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Also, and more importantly (jk don’t kill me) You escaped Bethenny face! Well done!

Colleen November 5, 2012 at 7:09 am

I feel as though we have the same pregnancy life. First born came 10 days early. He was a total nightmare drama baby and i thought I’d never survive the first 6 months. My second arrived 2 weeks late. April was the longest month of my life. Every day was suppose to be THE day. BUT the flip side to all this is that if you continue to follow the same path your reward for all the trouble is the worlds easiest baby. Seriously. She may have been 2 weeks late, but girlfriend is a freakin’ dream. She started sleeping through the night at 2 weeks old and never looked back. So I pray that is your reward in all this not fun stuff. Cause weeks 38-42 of pregnancy were the soul sucking worst.

Katy @MonsterProof November 5, 2012 at 7:27 am

Painless “get the baby out” suggestion: I totally credit watching a ridiculously loud action movie at a theater. Well, I also might have walked, no joke, 5 miles that morning. But, whatever. He showed up.

Sommer November 5, 2012 at 7:37 am

Yes, being super pregnant sucks. Terribly. On the plus side, you look amazing. I looked like I’d eaten a whale the entire time I was pregnant with my second, so good job!! Sending you loads of happy uterine contracting thoughts :):):):):).

Harbormom November 5, 2012 at 9:23 am

Here is the post I sent you in 2010:

Harbormom December 6, 2010 at 5:08 pm
Okay, here’s the thing. There’s a restaurant in Birmingham, AL called Lovoy’s. Been here for 50-hundred years. They make a really good eggplant parmesan. Little by little, it became known that when preggies near, at, or slightly beyond their due date went to Lovoy’s and ate the eggplant, they went into labor within a matter of hours. No shit! Worked twice for my daughter, and there was ultimately even a newspaper article about it. I haven’t heard of any preg who ate the eggplant (at the appropriate time, of course) who didn’t go into labor within 48 hours. So, here’s the deal…you let me know – if you haven’t gone into labor by your due date or a day or so after, you can go to your local Italian restaurant and eat eggplant parmesan; or I can get the eggplant parmesan from Mama Lovoy herself, pack it in dry ice and ship it off to you. Glad to help.

I TOTALLY WILL DO THIS (even though you didn’t take me up on my offer two y ears ago).

MODG November 5, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I completely remember this comment the first time around. And I did some research and found out that it’s the basil that does it. I really truly appreciate the offer though. If we’re at 40 weeks with nothing, I may take you up on it.

Karen November 5, 2012 at 10:39 am

#1: Damn MODG, you have a cute house. Love the kitchen. Show us a full tour and not just nurseries! Also, where did you get that highchair??

#2: You look gorgeous pregnant and I hope your delivery goes well. <3

Rachel B - Busy Mama November 5, 2012 at 11:04 am

Oh honey, I feel you. And I’ll keep your vagina in my prayers – wow, that is something I never thought I would type. I tried the pineapple thing and ended up with a mouth full of canker sores! Not fun! Though definitely more fun than the sweeping. Remember! No matter how your babe comes out, all that matters in all that big love!!!

S November 5, 2012 at 11:22 am

I’m not going to offer any get the labor going advice bc well, what 39 week pregnant person hasn’t researched this subject within an inch of her life?! I feel like you are probably good on that.
You honestly look great. You totally didn’t get the typical I’m having a girl face, which is the wide nose and such. You can’t even tell you’re pregnant in the Halloween picture, and in the other picture you look awesome!

Kiran@Masala Chica November 5, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I am crossing my fingers for your vagina ;-) So glad you didn’t go into labor during the storm or endure anything like that. I remember looking for mucus every time I peed and calling people into the bathroom, “Does that look like a booger to you? No? What the fuck!!”

You’re doing great – hang in there.
Kiran

Brandy November 5, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Oh thank bajeezus I was getting worried.

Also: is that a awesome huge G painting (or something) that I can see over his shoulder in the blowing out candles pic? I’d like to see more of this.

Jo @ Jo In the Kitchen November 5, 2012 at 1:12 pm

So glad you guys made it through the storm ok! And your kiddo in the fireman costume is adorable.

Katie @ mommy brain blog November 5, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I’m pulling for ya, MODG! Hope scenario #1 is a go!

Meagan @Megs7827 November 5, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I seriously laughed out loud that your midwife said men made up the sex gets labor going thing! They so would! I swear it helped though and there was no nipple stimulation. Walking like 5 miles helped too. Do it!

Danielle November 5, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Hi there,
I read this and really felt the need to respond. I completely understand how you feel. My son was an emergency c-section and I had a really really really hard time coming to grips with the fact that my body didn’t do what it was supposed to do. I felt like I failed. When I became pregnant with our second, my only wish was for VBAC. I did everything I could but then my due date came and went. I cried every day, ALL THE TIME. I ended up with another c-section and still struggle with it today (Alice was born July 13) but I’m getting better. She’s healthy and I’m healthy. Thank heavens I had a girl because buying ridiculously adorable girl clothes helped a little bit. And by the way, a scheduled c-section is soooooooooo much easier to recover from than an emergency one. If we choose to some day have a third, I’m hoping I might then get my VBAC. I feel your pain, mama, but I know it will all work out.

Jessica November 5, 2012 at 10:43 pm

you did the very very best you could!! and in the future you can def try for a TOLAC- just look up AWHONN’s guidelines on TOLAC’s! they’re endorsing c-section x2 with a TOLAC!! you’re a good mama girlfriend!!

Kat November 5, 2012 at 8:03 pm

my midwife said that sex totally works bc the sperm actually loosens things up. I think her exact words were “what got you in this predicament in the first place is what will get you out” words to live by

Jessica November 5, 2012 at 10:30 pm

So…recently had a SLEW of TOLAC mama patients who turned into VBAC mama patients (heck yea!! chickachicka yea yea!) And two of the common denominators in their vaginal birthing glory?!?! Five guys burger and walking!! So get your adorable pregnant ass up and walk! Walk G, walk the kitties, walk B (child leash optional), walk your invisible friend, but seriously, WALK!!! And do this while eating Five guys burgers, spicy food doesn’t usually do the trick-its the greasy stuff like burgers and/or chinese food….And seriously, its easier said than done but stop thinking about it-you aren’t going to want to, but fill up your social calendar like its going out of style because a) you’ll be super active (get the labor hormones going) and b) you’ll be distracted! :)

So your bags are packed, have you written down some birth idea notes?! Don’t call them a birth plan, its bad juujuu I swear!! The trick to getting your vagina to do what you tell it- act like a guy. Don’t call it or text it, and ignore it in front of your friends at a party then sleep with her best friend and call you in the middle of the night 3 months later…. ;)

Just know your labor and delivery nurses are cheering you on!!

Karen November 5, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Your body is strong and powerful and I believe you will get your VBAC. Do not even think the word “c-section,” let alone say it out loud. You are well-prepared and you can do this!!!

montanamama November 5, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Hugs Modge! Sending ripe cervix vibes your way!

Molly Beavers November 6, 2012 at 10:47 am

I had my VBAC a week ago today. YOU CAN DO IT!!! Best thing that ever happened to me. Birth plan still didn’t go exactly as I planned and I wasn’t this strong labor goddess that I envisioned, but I did it – after 43 of the hardest hours of my life! It was no joke. Even as I sit here with hemorrhoids and a third degree tear, I’m thanking the birth gods (and my doula) that I don’t have another slice across my belly. The most important thing I learned through both of my experiences is that you can have your ideal birth anytime and anywhere as long as you are educated to advocate for yourseld and have support. I was naive with my first and listened way too much to my OB. Had midwives this time in a hospital and never once felt threatened or rushed.

Also, I’m right there with there with you and was horrified of another csection. If one more person tried to tell me how dangerous it was to VBAC or that it would all be fine as long as me and baby were healthy I was going to punch them in the throat. You DESERVE a normal, natural birth and should be proud when you get it and never let anyone undermine your sadness if things don’t go your way.

Spicy BBQ did it for me. And I think the hurricane. No rush. You’re got time and you’re going to do great. Sending good hypnobabies vibes to your vag!

Katia November 6, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Having your baby during the hurricane is a scary thought. Before I went into labour with my first one, a colleague at work told me she watched a documentary/news piece/not sure what about a woman who gave birth on a tree. For real. It might have been during the tsunami. I promised myself that if I feel like I can’t do this anymore during labour, I will think of the woman on the tree. I didn’t. Perhaps you can find solace in poor tree labour woman. :-) I wish you a quick, natural delivery of your Chris Christie. Big boy’s room is beautiful.

Leyna November 6, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I’m in the same boat you are, although not as far along. My biggest fear is going overdue and that repeat. Have you considered just scheduling your repeat at 41 weeks to appease them and then canceling at the last minute to buy yourself more time? It’s something my VBACtivist doula and I have discussed as an option. I certainly don’t want to put baby at risk but I have just read a TON of 42-weeker VBAC success stories on Birth Without Fear and keep thinking baby probably just needs more time (and steady monitoring past due date). Not sure how I feel about pissing off a doctor, but I also really REALLY don’t want a repeat, for all the same reasons you don’t. Is flaking on your scheduled C something you’ve thought about?

Hope you’re in labor right now instead of stressing about this!

wmbg November 6, 2012 at 7:09 pm

i’m 26 weeks preg and have no idea what a vbac is. but according to baby center, my baby is now the size of an english cucumber. so important.

glad you escaped the hurricane wrath and peanut #1 is a cutie.

Laura November 7, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I totally get it. I had an emergency c-section with my first son after 8 hours in labor. For our second son I was, looking back on it, INSANE about every freaking sign of things progressing because I was desperate for a VBAC. Desperate I tell you. Disclosure: The following is gross.
I was so excited to see some of my mucas plug on the toilet paper that I literally took that shit in my fingers and ran it into the living room to show my husband. He looks at me all like, “Why are you dangling a giant booger from you finger?” as I practically jumped up and down screaming, “Its my mucas plug!!” I get it MODG. Totally get it. I wish you good luck and a speedy, easy, happy birth story this time around!

Leslie November 7, 2012 at 3:19 pm

MODG, this is going to sound weird, but where did you get the big green spray bottle in your kitchen? I keep cleaner in a scary janitor-looking spray bottle and it scares everyone.