You can’t tell if chickens are gay because they are chickens. Wait. I think chickens are all girls. Or is that a hen. Is a hen a chicken?

Hi and welcome to the chicken blog. Where we talk about chicken and chicken things 24/7.

No. No we don’t. Except right now.

There is damn chicken talk in the comments, on my facebook page, on twitter, out my window. POLLO AY CARUMBA.

But seriously, in that last post, I’m just glad you all didn’t jump on the Penn State train. I couldn’t have handled that on top of chicken drama. So I’d like to move on. I have to say that for the most part, I’m proud of everyone. We were able to have an intelligent debate about a serious issue without any serious mud slinging. I will say that I feel stronger than ever about the following:

1) Equal rights for all. Dudes, marriage sort of blows some of the time. If the gays want in on that, let them. And if you personally believe that that goes against your values, then don’t marry a gay. But let them worry about their own consequences. You can shake your head at them from your angel cloud. Also we were married by our insurance agent. Just saying.

2) Freedom of speech. I mean, I write a blog about mostly poop and clothes. I need that right. But I really want to stress to everyone that I’m not upset by what anyone has “said” about anything. I am however bothered by any corporation donating bags of gold and rubies to hate based organizations. You all can scream to the moon about chicken and gays and it’s fine with me. But it’s the action behind the words where I draw the line.

3) Freedom of religion. I thank my cats and Britney everyday that I have the freedom to not have religion and you have the freedom to force your husband to go to church every Sunday. It means just as much to me to not follow organized religion as it means to you be boys with the big J. I’m down. And that freedom also extends to those who want to follow the bible to the shrimp hating letter and those who want to just live life as a good person but  maybe eat shrimp, get tattoos and marry a sparkle gay.

4) Chick fil a will make you fat. Remember that gays. Sometimes I wish the Jelly Belly company would hate short Italian girls so I could lose a damn pound. Consider it a blessing in disguise.

But the one thing I’m glad that came out of this is that I’m not super fearful to express a controversial opinion anymore on this blog. Almost a year ago today I posted my mildly famous breastfeeding post. And in the comments I was devastated to have to fight for the right of women to breastfeed in public against those who said they were “rubbing in their faces”. That sort of scarred me. But my skin has thickened to the thickness of a nice meaty chicken nugget. And I feel confident again.

So just like everything else, we’ll move on from this debate. I learned a lot about both sides and I’m glad we had this talk. This is a good community of bitches.

POSTED IN: Sharing,You think you know but you have no idea

Carly August 2, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I love you. <3

Angela August 2, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Bravo, MODG. Beautifully stated. I wish I could like this 1,000x.

Leyna August 2, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Amen, girl.

Emily August 2, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Thank you! For your sincerity, thoughtfulness and openmindedness. For not being afraid to share your thoughts. I agree with everything you said. Except for the Chick Fil A will make you fat part, maybe. They were the only fast food restaurant I would eat at, until I found out they are anti-gay idiots a year ago, because they have a yummy sandwich that will totally fill you up for only about 300 calories.

Lauren August 2, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Well said. I think this is being made a free-speech issue and that’s just part of it. I agree that Dan Cathy can say whatever he wants in regard to gay marriage. I might not agree with it and I might think he’s a huge butt hole, but he has the right to say it. However, When you give money to organizations that promote “ex-gay” therapy, say homosexuality corrupts children and puts pedophilia and being gay in the same category, I want nothing to do with your company. Even of your chicken is ridiculously delicious and your waffle fries are heavenly. I love equality more than a good chicken sandwich.

Susan August 2, 2012 at 8:53 pm

As I’ve thought many times before…..I loveya!

Mallory August 2, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Great post…I all too often avoid hot topics like this, not because I’m afraid or embarrassed of my personal opinions or feelings, but because it makes me so incredibly sad that there is so much hate in this world. I will truly never ever understand how a person believes it is right to make political decisions about WHO someone chooses to love. I believe in love…isn’t it better to celebrate someone’s happy choice than promote hate regarding that choice? It seems to make perfect sense to me…..

I am a child of a black father and white mother. 35 years ago their choice to get married was so unpopular, my mom ran away from home and worried her parents wouldn’t attend their wedding. But they did. And 35 years later, my mom and dad are still incredibly, happily married. This gives me hope, because now, although there may be ignorant people still, they rarely get a second glance, and people do not openly express their distaste with my parents marriage. They raised my brother and I to accept everyone. I hope that in a few years, people will no longer look twice when they see a gay couple, dating or married. I especially hope this for my children, so that whomever they become, they NEVER feel judged or wrong because of it.

Katy August 3, 2012 at 8:43 am

I hardly ever comment on things, but this comment totally made me cry. I’m gonna go ahead and blame the preggo hormones. Love is love, people! And I love this comment. :-)

Jami August 5, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Beautiful. I hope that I show my children how to love people. With no : except for, in spite of, even tho……. Even without the….. because of. Loving people because of (………) is just as dangerous as all the others. I just want to love people, and teach that to my children. I’m a Christian, and I love Jesus . I just don’t think we’ve been acting very Jesusy. Hopefully all this will create places for our hearts to crack, eventually breaking wide open. I haven’t always been this heart cracked wide open person. I have been and regretfully still am, judgmental. But every day I try to love a little more, and a little more, and a little more.

mommylisa August 6, 2012 at 6:54 am

“I just don’t think we’ve been acting very Jesusy.” Amen sister. Jesus hung out with the whores and the lepers – he didn’t give two chicken nuggets who you were, just that you wanted to do good things and treat people like you want to be treated.

Liz August 2, 2012 at 9:31 pm

As one of your lesbian readers – thanks for your support! :) Historically, justice wins out, and we’ll get there. But I sure hope we get there in my lifetime so I can have a damn wedding. THE END.

RaeRae August 2, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Your famous breastfeeding post is what brought me to your blog and remains one of the best things I’ve read on the internets. It came at a time when I was a hot mess of a new mom at home with a 5 week old banshee who thought boobs were evil and must be destroyed. Your post made me laugh like a fool and gave me the strength to power through the cracked, bleeding nipples. Today, I have a goofy-ass 13 month old who stills loves her some boobies.

So, please, keep telling it like it is. Even when I don’t agree, I still laugh & it’s all good.

Nicole August 2, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Wow, I’ve been following your blog for just about a year now! I came in with the mildly famous breastfeeding post. I like hearing your opinions from maternity swimwear to gay controversies. Well said. We’re all just human beings. And some need to step back and see the big picture.

Janet August 2, 2012 at 9:52 pm

You are the best. That is all.

CCM August 2, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Does the chicken on the right have a giant black penis? I can’t stop staring at it.

JB August 3, 2012 at 9:41 am

Ha! I thought the SAME thing. Great minds…

Katie August 2, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I love you MODG, you crack my shit up!!!

Teresa August 2, 2012 at 10:17 pm

LOVE this. <3

Seriously. Love.

I drove by Chick-Fil-A today and REALLY wanted a milkshake from them. But my heart sunk as I realized that I couldn't pull in. Like, really. I was physically unable to turn the steering wheel toward them. Not after yesterday.

Maybe sometime. But not now.

Rachel August 2, 2012 at 10:23 pm

MODG-
Let me start this comment by saying that I am a bit of an anomaly. I’m a single girl, in her late 20s, crazy democratic…and I…wait for it….believe in Jesus.

I have been reading your blog for years. Back when you were posting pictures of your shoes on your toilet. And I fell in love. You are smart, witty, funny and real. When you got pregnant and had G, admittedly I lost a lot of the “I can so relate” feelings. Because I dont have a child. But I faithfully read because I enjoy you, and I loved being able to read your posts about pregnancy and being a mom and send them to my pregnant/mom friends and family. Also, I know someday I will be able to relate again.

But these recent posts. Oh, they touch my soul. I so agree. On such a human level. Its so hard to see people twists the words of something I hold so dear (the gospel) to spew such hate. I also, because of the way I was raised (surprisingly, agnostic and very left wing) that everyone has the right to believe what they want. I may think you are an ignorant *curse* but, the beauty of this country and the place where we are as a society is that you can make your own decisions. That being said, it has literally mad me sick seeing all the hate that people can still believe in 2012. I truly believe that when my *future* children are my age, they will be flaborgasted at the fight that our LGBT friends and family had to endure to love who they want and be awarded the same civil rights as the straight community. I remember learning from my own mother her memories of the African American plight, and also being disgusted of my won grandfathers archaic views. That will be our children. How F’d up is that?

Despite this long and seemingly personal comment, I wrote this to encourage your voice. Please know that there are people out there that NEED to hear your view. I may not be able to relate very much to your personal life- I have no child or husband- but I can so relate, as can others, when you write these amazing HUMAN posts about real things that are happening in the world to all of us. We need you to write. We need you to be a voice.

Mush much love,
Rachel

Mindy August 2, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Very, very well said MODG.

and I agree completely.

Instead of eating a 100 ingredient (18 of which are chemical preservatives) chicken sandwich yesterday I purchased this cute t-shirt in support of No H8 :-)

drea August 3, 2012 at 1:12 am

So happy someone mentioned the chemicals in CFA chicken! This has bothered me since long before the dreaded CFA day. Insane amounts of MSG (which is why it is so delicious… and so unhealthy).

Christa August 2, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Oh hey MODG – really nicely written. I enjoy you.
Christa

Katie P August 2, 2012 at 10:39 pm

A-to-the-men! I couldn’t agree more on all of your points. Well said.

Jamie August 2, 2012 at 10:55 pm

LOL CCM the chicken definitely has a giant black penis. I am cracking up. Love you MODG!

Sam August 2, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Ditto! Love your blog!

Jen August 2, 2012 at 11:24 pm

This post rocked. You also rock. The end.

Sophia August 3, 2012 at 2:11 am

Nuff said. Now, go throw a shrimp on the barbie! x

K August 3, 2012 at 3:05 am

You are fab and so wise. Keep saying what you have to say.

Biscuit August 3, 2012 at 8:55 am

Everything about this is magical

Jen August 3, 2012 at 9:04 am

Ughhh. I’m in my first trimester and have been so sick (I’ve lost 20 lbs and had iv fluids) and chick fil a is the ONLY thing that sounds appealing. I never ate there prior to pregnancy but need it now!!! What to do? I drove by yesterday but was scared to stop. I hate those bigots but love that chicken :(

Sara August 3, 2012 at 10:41 am

Eat a whole bunch of rainbow oreos afterwards and it should balance out.

Tara August 3, 2012 at 10:06 am

you’re awesome. just in general. also, chicken = hen (girl) + cock or rooster (boy). chicken is the umbrella word for boy and girl chickens

kaitlin August 3, 2012 at 10:30 am

Can I say that I sell chicken? I am not trying to be a spokesperson for said chicken-selling company, but I can’t tell you how much I A. Love this company and B. Know that words spoken were a personal view. And the bags of money? If you spend $7, maybe about .05 of a cent will go towards any number of charitable organizations. Out of those, there is a slim chance it MIGHT go towards an organization you disagree with. And if you are avoiding that based on your half a cent that might go towards a wonderful cause or one you disagree with, you will probably have to do a lot more boycotting of pretty much everything.

I love this company. they encourage making peoples’ days, not money. do I agree with what was said? no, but neither do the lgbt friends I work with, who have never experienced a shred of discrimination from the company. like you said, actions speak louder than words. opinions aren’t offensive to me, because I know between those differing opinions we are all going to treat each other respectfully anyway.

kaitlin August 3, 2012 at 10:40 am

P.s. all the talk about not going there because you hate all the bigots? Dude, I am not a bigot. That hurts my feelings.

Katie E. August 3, 2012 at 11:07 am

I am sorry. This issue doesn’t really concern me a whole lot. And while that might get me blasted on here, let me explain why. Compromise. Lots of it goes into the formation of laws. As long as it is gays VS anyone who does not agree with gay marriage (not saying only Christians, because Judaism and Islam aren’t down with it either, and those are the big 3 world religions) then I don’t think anything is going to be solved. As long as this is “Marriage” and “marriage” only, not a change in civil law, the vote does not have as great a chance of passing, and all the internet outrage in the world isn’t going to change that. Remove the religious terminology, make it a secular issue, and it will pass faster and easier. Gay couples will be able to have weddings, and then file papers just like heterosexual couples. Until someone unbends enough to compromise without calling each other big old hateful meanie heads, I am so done with this foolishness.

And before you all beat me down for calling it foolishness (a lot of the behavior has been foolish, and you know it,) let me tell you why. My family and church have been involved in missions in Rwanda. Google genocide and Rwanda and you will see horror. We have been raising money for genocide orphans, to feed them, educate them, clothe them, and make sure they have a place to sleep at night. Our church has sent various groups of people over with school supplies, to buy and distribute goats to coffee growers and orphans, and lots of other people in various villages we assist. In Rwanda goats=$. There are lots of children, too many children, who do not have a place to sleep, or food, or clothes, or medical care. In one village, Pastor D. feeds the street children 3 times a week. Those kids are only certain of a meal 3 times a week. My heart just breaks. So forgive me for not caring about the outrage over a stinking chicken sandwich. My heart has been broken for the motherless, the homeless, and the helpless. And while this marriage/civil union issue may make you hate Christians, I want you to know, that we love people. We do. And we go out of our way, sometimes across an ocean to help people. And we take food to our elderly, and teach our children to give so other kids in other nations can have something. We mess up, and act like assholes, and then we say we are sorry, and we try not to do that again. And we fail, over and over. But over and over, we try to be better, to do right, to say we are sorry, and mend hurt we caused. Sometimes the only thing that gets us through the day is the faith that God loves us.

So we try our hardest to share that love. We take our kids with us to volunteer at the homeless shelter, or in the rougher neighborhoods, or way out in the rural areas. We teach them to appreciate being born in the US, and to a middle class family. I tell my kids stories about growing up in poverty, and how we always knew that God would provide for us, somehow, someway, and He did. We are teaching our sons that we are the body of Christ, and it is our job to do His work out in the world, and take care of those who cannot take care of themselves. Sometimes that makes us unpopular, and that’s okay too. We work with our church to organize hundreds of people to to do mission work throughout every single year, locally, nationally, and internationally. Please don’t forget that we try to do good things for people. Don’t forget that as a whole, Christian groups make up the largest number of groups you see at natural disasters. We get together and send food, and clothes, and people. We hold hands, and wipe tears, and help figure out what to do next. We bring people into our homes, and communities, and just try to give them some love, and help them get going again. We are not the sole reason every bad thing has happened in this world. We are not the only reason good happens in this world. We are workers. I am just going to keep working for the motherless children, and wait until all the adults who have homes, and food, and clothes, can figure out how to play nice on both sides of the playground, before I say anything else on the matter.

SpontaneousMom August 3, 2012 at 11:20 am

Chik-fil-a WILL make you fat- I am still cracking up over that one. Love this- love all that you said- well done.

Scully August 3, 2012 at 11:26 am

Thank you for being brave, Amanda.

I think what has gotten me so riled up about this is the lack of intelligent conversation about this issue. Freedom of Speech is the freedom to (mostly) share your opinions and not be prosecuted and arrested by the GOVERNMENT. It does not mean that people who do not agree with you aren’t allowed to voice their displeasure. Dan Cathy has not been threatened by the DOJ. He isn’t sitting in jail. He’s free to say whatever he wants. And we are free to vocally disagree with him. This issue has nothing to do with the 1st Amendment. And I dearly wish people would stop using that as an excuse to explain their hate.

Sparkles and rainbows for all!

T August 3, 2012 at 12:49 pm

So are you going to boycott all companies who donate to anti gay causes? Anthropologie? Urban outfitters? Didnt think so. My problem is not that individuals are boycotting chik fil a, it’s that they are doing do without educating themselves, just because it’s trendy. If you want to make a stand, boycott ALL companies that provide similar funding and charitable gifts.

MODG August 3, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Oh anonymous “T”…The Urban Outfitters corporation does not give money to anti gay organizations. Instead, the CEO personally donates to conservative candidates not under the name of his company, not spreading hate through the company. And as a consumer, we all have rights to hear something about a company that we don’t like, and not shop there. Hence, me never stepping into a Walmart. Are you also one of those people who yells at Vegetarians for wearing leather? Let people make this choice. They are simply choosing to not stand by hate. Which is a very Christian thing to do.

T August 3, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Um, wow. Do you homework. Your ignorance is almost as alarming as their bigotry. And when did I claim to be a Christian???

MODG August 3, 2012 at 2:45 pm

You come here to call me ignorant? Really?
Move on “anonymous”

MODG August 3, 2012 at 2:47 pm

You know what? After checking you IP address…oh you didn’t know I could do that? You’ve been Lisa, Jen, Amanda and now T. All with negative and insulting comments.
You are done.

Jell Jell @ I'll Sleep When They're Grown August 3, 2012 at 1:30 pm

It’s your blog, it’s your world. Write what you gotta.

kara August 3, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Your blog is amazing! I find you hilariously funny and so real. Just started following you a few months ago but I look for your blog updates literally every day. You make me laugh and you also make me realize I can do this crazy motherhood thing and still be me. Thank you for sharing your point of view. Keep on being awesome.

Ryan August 3, 2012 at 2:16 pm

As a gay, I’m really irritated by this topic. This has never been about free speech. I have friends and family members who don’t support gay marriage and I respect their opinions.

This is all about a company boasting that they donate to recognized hate groups, one of which, the Family Research Council, thinks that putting gay people to death is totally cool. Jesus said so. So, free speech gets a big thumbs up from me. Supporting groups that marginalia the rights of any group are not okay – especially when those groups believe some pretty Hitler-eque things.

Oh, how far we’ve come from Boobiegate 2011! :)

Rachel August 3, 2012 at 3:50 pm

You are all kinds of awesome.

Kelley August 3, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Keep telling it like it is girl. We need it. And those who don’t agree can move and and read the blogs they do agree with. And miss out on your fabulousness. Too bad for them.
Now on to more baby-stuff!

Jessica August 3, 2012 at 4:55 pm

MODG. Just when I think I could not possibly love you more. First of all, the best line is this (and maybe ever) is “if you personally believe that that goes against your values, then don’t marry a gay.” This is what I’ve been thinking for YEARS. I’m also a huge Jesus lover, and I could totes care less if you are or aren’t I love you to pieces because you. are. awesome. I also suspect that you might be a secret libertarian like I am. Please keep writing about controversial things and bringing the funny – I feel better than I have in weeks about this whole thing. OH, and happy anniversary of having me as a stalker because I also came to your site via the twitter explosion over your breastfeeding post. xo

Busy Walrus August 3, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Everyone’s missing the point! You can make your own CFA @home and use less chemicals, save $$, etc.

Mandy August 3, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Don’t you think it’s ironic that homophobes are supporting anti-gay sentiments by eating cock? Jus’ sayin’.

The Happy Mamma August 3, 2012 at 10:33 pm

I just need to tell someone else that will give me a virtual hi-five about this….I discovered Belly Flops at the dollar store! They’re all the Jelly Bellys that turned out looking mutated — imperfection but still tasty. I bought 5 bags for $5. I love both Jelly Bellys and the dolla-dolla store.

*hi-five*

Beth August 4, 2012 at 12:23 am

I hope you ladies don’t mind, as I really feel like this is a sane place to participate in this conversation. Like all of you, I have felt really sad as well over the past few days. Please don’t think I am trying to argue, I am really just trying to safely participate in the conversation and gain perspective here.

I have been a Christian now for about 6 years, and my life completely changed during a missionary trip. Through much research and some eye-opening experiences, I chose to believe in God, and in Jesus, and I had to either take the Bible as a whole truth or just completely reject it all together. So here I am, a Christian, who takes the Bible at it’s word, and if asked my personal beliefs about traditional marriage my answer would error on the side of supporting it. And I feel like I know what comes next based on the overall happenings of the past few days. Words like “hate” and “bigot.” I get so upset about this. I have had many homosexual friends over the course of my life. I live life with them. I never judge them or try to change them. I love them for who they are. If they want to get married in the states which approve it, I would NEVER speak outwardly against it. That is their choice to make, and inwardly, I am happy they are happy. And in my heart, I feel no hate. No bigotry. No anti-anything. But over the past few days, I have felt so upset. I truly feel like all of the sudden, when the word “Christian” comes up, those negative words are automatically linked. Now, trust me, I know there are some really bad apples who claim to be Christians yet are spewing hate and bigotry. And please don’t listen to those bad apples and think they represent who Jesus is or was. It’s so wrong and so completely opposite of what He preached. For me personally though, it’s just a feeling of being stuck between a rock and a hard place. Loving people and loving God. Perhaps others feel the same way. Am I missing something here, because I really don’t feel a hate bone in my body for people who live life differently than me.

My other point of contention over the past few days that hasn’t really been touched on here is the fact that the government in 3 large cities has been trying to ban a business because a CEO voiced his personal beliefs that did not agree with the Mayor’s. Does anyone else find this wrong? Isn’t that opening a can of worms in this country that could be really scary, no matter which views you hold?

Aside from that, MODG, you are such a talented writer and I am so glad you are a practicing fan of free speech! Keep the posts coming!

Alison August 4, 2012 at 9:26 am

MODG actually kind of encouraged me to write my own post on the subject, if you’re interested. I’m a Christian as well, and am upset by the name we are making for ourselves on this issue. To me, as soon as people started really linking this to the us/them Christian mentality it became more about that then the free speech issue. (Which, I absolutely support, by the way).

Dayle August 5, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Your response reads like this unfortunately, I am not a bigot, I just don’t want MY government to go against MY religion and let those people marry. Again, I have nothing against gay people (some of my friends are gay). I just think they should be treated differently, and by differently, I mean we should discriminate against them.

Also, not the free speech issue. It is the giving of A LOT of money to HATE groups that support the death penalty for gays in other countries and to politicians that will do anything to continue to discriminate against gays. We choose to boycott the company, kind of like all the boycotts the Christian Right has organized.

Ryan August 6, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Beth – here’s the error in your thinking; gay people don’t have to believe like you do.

While I respect your beliefs as a Christian, I don’t feel the same way about God’s teachings. And the beauty of this country is that I don’t have to believe the same way you do. When we talk about gay marriage, we’re talking about the rights that come along with marriage, not the Bible-sanctioned version of marriage. Christians don’t own marriage; it’s a union present in every major culture on Earth, and was present long before Christianity. The issue that keeps coming up is that Christians feel like they should decide who is worthy of marriage based on their religious beliefs. If I wanted to live in a country where the state dictated my beliefs and rights based off of a religion, I’d move to Afghanistan and enjoy the warmth of the Taliban’s love.

In the US, we have a constitution that protects my rights a gay man – and they supersede your religion. If your religious belief is that marriage is between and man and a woman, then your church should only perform opposite sex marriages. But you don’t have the right to limit my basic human rights based on your beliefs when I certainly do not share them.

I don’t believe that Chicago or the other cities are wrong for banning CFA from building in certain communities. It’s legally supported, via secondary affects. It’s the same principal used to deny Wal-Mart the right to build a Super Center in the middle of Yosemite (as an exaggerated example). There’s no benefit to putting an organization in heavily gay areas when that organization doesn’t support the community.

And, keep in mind, the issue the gay community has with CFA isn’t about free speech; it’s the fact they’ve donated millions to organizations that believe murdering gay people isn’t a big deal, that gay people should be able to be fired based on their orientation, that gay parents shouldn’t have rights to their kids and so many other crazy things.

Beth August 9, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Dayle and Ryan,

I just wanted to say “thanks” for replying to my post and sharing your perspectives. It was hard to write my post, as I was unsure if my thoughts would warrant negative reactions, and I am so glad both of you were willing to respectfully engage in conversation with me. Ryan, If I came across as demanding others have to share my views, I want you to know that is not how I feel at all. I honestly just had not considered your points about marriage on a larger scale, and they definitely have given me something to think about.

Would either of you (or anyone else) be willing to supply some information from a credible source about the charities CFA donates to? I have seen posts ranging from money going towards therapy to posts saying they donate towards charities that murder homosexuals. I think we all could benefit from reading more information on this topic.

Elizabeth August 5, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Bravo for writing an honest post on topics you are passionate about! It’s your blog, right? I say don’t ever be afraid to share your thoughts and feelings, even if people disagree. Just remember to take deep breaths when you read all the crazy comments….people will stay stuff on the internet that they’d never say to your face, and some people just like to “stir the pot.” YoSHE would not appreciate you letting it get to you :)

I did have a quick question. Can you give us some links in order to research further who Chick Fil A donates to? Looks like you have lots of good info on the topic. I have learned so much from reading your recent posts and comments. I didn’t have a problem with the free speech thing, but to know that they support such “out there” organizations is disturbing. I would love to look into it further and form my own opinion, as my mom told me that they also support groups that are pro-gay. Things like this can be so confusing, but I guess the worst thing to do is nothing. So I figured I’d begin to look into it myself. Thanks!!!

Jen August 5, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Wow, so interesting to read about this obviously highly contentious issue on your blog and even more interesting to read the comments. Some really thoughtful, smart people have made some really amazing points.
I’m completely stymied by the uproar this seems to be causing. I’m Canadian and we allow same-sex marriage. Honestly, it’s a non-issue here. There was some debate before it was legislated but it passed with little hoopla because people here essentially recognize that it is a civil rights issue and not a religious one (same-sex couples are entitled to the same spousal rights that hetero couples enjoy). I don’t get why a country that was founded so brilliantly on the principle that church and state should be separate should be sliding so desperately into one that makes it’s political decisions based on the religious climate. Scary.
We had our annual pride parade here in Vancouver today. All ages, races, cultures, colours, everything under the sun showed up to enjoy the show. No big deal. No hetero children were converted, no religious values were subverted. Just people out enjoying the beautiful weather and community spirit. A non-issue. I hope the US can get over this hump and realize that the world isn’t going to collapse if homosexual couples are allowed to marry. Just like it didn’t when women were given the vote or different races were allowed to drink from the same water fountain.

The Other Jen August 12, 2012 at 12:56 am

Jen,
Along with the fact that you have an incredible name, I think you are amazing. Perhaps we should all move to Canada, where apparently they use common sense. Great comment, Jen!

Tamsyn August 6, 2012 at 1:26 am

I hate to drop one of my favorite blogs, but…

Katie August 6, 2012 at 1:37 pm

You might not have wanted to accompany such an ignorant comment with a hyperlink to your website where you profess to abide by the philosophy of ‘live and let live.’

Ginger August 6, 2012 at 10:52 am

well I can’t let this ^ be the last comment…. awesome words MODG!!

Tara Mc August 6, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Well said. One of the best things about being an American is you get to be who you are. And you don’t have to like gays or hippes or whatever- but they have (or should have) just as much right and you do.

Jess S August 14, 2012 at 12:06 am

I just wanted to say thank you. I love this post and could’ve almost written it word for word, except for the part about having a famous post on my blog :)