I’ve been avoiding you. And now I’ll explain. THEN we’ll watch the drag queens.

On behalf of me and Yoshe, we apologize for our dick-ness in our last post. I always know when I cross some sort of internet blog line when my friends and family start emailing me like “um, do you need some help?” And I never realize it when I’m writing it. But then I’m like, oh I get it. So I did some thinking. Why am I all worked up? It’s not just being sick and pregnant. It’s probably more. Why am I avoiding the internet? Why can’t I blog correctly. The answer to this is always the same.

I’m holding back.

Whenever I don’t feel the ability to be 100% honest in my writing and with you guys, I get dick-ish and develop writer’s block. It’s just how I work. Filterless or go home.

But all of this stuff has been happening in the world. Stuff that I feel so strongly about. SO strongly that I literally don’t have it in me to fight my point of view. I don’t have it in me to “educate” anyone on another perspective than their own.

And I haven’t wanted to write about any of it for fear of the comments. But that’s part of the territory right? Part of what I signed up for. Part of why you read this slop.

But I don’t want to delve into my personal beliefs about Joe Paterno and Penn State or Chick Fil-A or the election or if we should or should not burn somee cards to the ground already. Because simply by knowing others personal beliefs about all of these things have made me look at people differently (for right or wrong). And not just people but friends. Like specific friends.

See, there was a sort of blissful ignorance before the dawn of social media where you didn’t know anyone’s opinions on politics, religion or The Bachelorette. Now we know everything. And it’s impossible to not judge. You can’t forget once you know that your high school volleyball teammate now “likes” My Little Pony S&M or worse, Nickelback. Or you see your 60 year old Uncle “like” Hey Dude circa Nickelodeon 1988. You’re like whaaaat? And then the next time you see them like you’re like staring at the ground trying not to mention horses, ponies or dude ranches. It’s weird.

So for better or worse, I’m a little sad today. I hate to see hate. I hate to see discrimination. But just because I now “see” it now doesn’t mean it wasn’t always there. The blinders are just off now.

So I ccould blame facebook. But I can’t really do that. Because facebook also brings me things like this:

And for that social media, we thank you.

And also Andrea Logie who is the queen of the internet.

And please, as I didn’t go into the great depths of controversy here, I’m going to ask that you do not as well. Maybe in the future we’ll talk more but not today. And if you give me a contraction, I’ll have this baby in your bathtub.

Love and Lust,

POSTED IN: Confession Fridays,I hate everyone,MODG,Not Pleased,Sharing,You think you know but you have no idea

ElisaM August 1, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I feel exactly the same way. The whole thing makes me sad. I tend to regret going on Facebook lately, and it’s only partly due to lack of MODG posts.

rikkic August 1, 2012 at 9:47 pm

i have been singing that youtube video in my head for days LOL im telling you they cut up!

Sara August 1, 2012 at 9:48 pm

SAME. Same same same same all the sames. This is why I stick to writing about peeing my pants or my stupid dog. The bull hockey I see on facebook is enough to make me fear mile-long comment threads with people arguing back and forth without any chance of either party really seeing the other’s side. But I totally hear you on the writers block. It’s difficult to write about neutral topics these days. This is why I’m just waiting for the day I can drink a beer again. I’ll be less wound up and too drunk to care what anyone says in my comments.

Megan August 1, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I love this so much! THANK YOU

Clarissa August 1, 2012 at 9:50 pm

MODG, today made me sad, too. A lot of people disappointed me.

But you did not make me sad. And you did not disappoint me.

Keep being awesome.

andrea August 1, 2012 at 9:51 pm

….so then there’s that……

I love you, and your ability to make this funny. I got in a bit of fb debate today of this with an extreme holy roller, I’d like to think I am good at holy rolling too, but in the sense that I don’t like to judge others.

nice job, as always.

Una August 1, 2012 at 9:51 pm

I know what you mean. Once you’re a humor blogger, it feels like you can’t step outside of that and speak your mind, or even just write a totally unfunny post once in awhile. But I say, if you feel so strongly,and if you really want to say something publicly, write it. As long as you respect other people’s right to an opinion, HOPEFULLY no one will be dicks about yours (although, when Don’t Be a Dick day is over, who can know for sure?)

Personally, if you were to write a post about why you support gay marriage, and some people unfollowed you for it, I would say, in the words of Kenneth Parcell quoting Tracy Jordan, haters to the left. It’s not the same as saying “no one who opposes gay marriage is allowed to read this blog.” It’s just a part of who you are. And people who love your blog should respect that.

Did I say respect enough in this comment? RESPECT.

MODG August 2, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I agree Una. But know that I’m not expressing my opinion not for fear of people unfollowing or being angry, I just literally don’t have it in me to read any more ignorance and get all worked up over it. I’m preg. I need to relax.

Karena August 2, 2012 at 4:48 pm

THIS ^^^is exactly the reason I haven’t posted anything about it myself. I got into a debate last week with some very ignorant people. And then I stopped. I stopped reading comments and replies. It was getting me too worked up, and I’m not going to suddenly change somebody’s mind who’s been prejudiced their entire life. But I agree, it’s sort of drawn a line and changed my opinion about some friends.

Kristin H. August 3, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Two of my favorite bloggers collide. Cray-to-the-zay.

Em Epling August 1, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Supersparkles awesome to know I’m not alone. Moved to the South (Charleston) last year and have had a hard time squeezing my liberal ass into the bible belt. I’ve gotten a lot better at trying to see the other side, but this issue is something I can never ever sway on. Hate is just icky. I will never be on board with denying any individual basic human rights. I’ve lost at least one friendship over this which is ridiculous to me, but we both feel so strongly it can just never work. So yes, thanks for posting, love me some Queenies <3

AMK August 2, 2012 at 10:48 am

Omg I moved from NYC to NC 2 years ago for my husband’s job, and I feel soooo suffocated by all of the hate and ignorance!!! Just love and accept, people!! Jeez.

Michelle August 2, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Tons of haters here in Orange County, CA too. It really is disappointing.

Zakary August 1, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Jesus loves everyone. Including drag queens.

Happy Choke Your Chicken Day!

(eff you Dick Fila)

Dawn August 9, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Z, I almost fell out of my fucking chair.

KB August 1, 2012 at 10:01 pm

OH MY GOD I KNOW, this is out.of.control. If I see one more GD picture of someone and their five kids eating their chicken burger today I’m going to throw my laptop out the window. Cannot handle. I could be wrong here, but the impression that I get when I see these peoples chicken pics is that it’s like they’re screaming I HATE GAY PEOPLE. Am I wrong? Isn’t that wrong? Isn’t that intolerant?? I don’t know, maybe I’m the confused one. And I never liked chicken burgers, so there.

Blue August 2, 2012 at 10:23 am

That is wrong. Many people felt strongly about the infringement on an individual’s right to free speech, not necessarily agreeing with what that person had to say. Just because someone eats a chicken sandwich doesn’t mean they hate gays or agree with what was said, just that they agree that he has the right to say it.

caree August 2, 2012 at 12:41 pm

No No No! This isn’t about supporting the right to free speech AT ALL! If he had merely said ‘I don’t agree with grilled cheese sandwiches’, well then fine, great and wonderful! To each their own! However, when your business is donating millions to organizations that: rally against the civil rights of grilled cheese sandwiches, that try to kill grilled cheese sandwiches in other countries and think grilled cheese sandwiches can be ‘re-progammed’ (these are just a few); and you show up at their door to with your dollars to purchase their products, then No, you are not supporting ‘Free Speech’. The issue is FAR more complicated than that.

keltie August 2, 2012 at 6:31 pm

virtual high five to you, caree!

People are always entitled to their opinion, as far as I am concerned, and I will always feel strongly about that, even of i disagree with their opinion. that’s the beauty and intent of freedom of speech (i think. i hope!)

But freedom of speech does not protect people from saying a group of people does not deserve basic human rights and it certainly does not provide a magic force field around you when you donate money (was it his own money or the company’s money?) to groups whose life’s work is to ensure said group does not receive basic human rights. That, in my opinion, is financing hate.

If you aren’t 100% sold on the above statement, replace “gay” with black/chinese/hispanic/women/disabled/jewish/muslim/christian, heck, any group you’d like. I think that exercise highlights the enormity of what buying a chicken sandwich (delish or not, I’m canadian and have never tasted chick-fil-a but I hear they are yum) finances.

Ok, soap box rant over. I need to hop off, crack open the box of soap and do some laundry. Hugs and snugs to everyone that is participating in this or any other conversation, we can all learn from each other, even when we don’t agree.

peace and hair grease

Candace August 2, 2012 at 11:04 am

Not all people went to say I hate gay people. Some people went to say I support freedom of speech and the CEO had a right to say he supports traditional marriage. So yes you are wrong. :)

MODG August 2, 2012 at 1:30 pm

My problem with it is that it wasn’t a rally to support ANYTHING. It wasn’t positive at all. It was to NOT support something. It was very negative. It was straight people not supporting gay marriage. And that I have a problem with. It was full of discrimination. Anything solely organized around taking something away from others simply because your religion says to, is wrong to me.

Colleen August 2, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Agreed 1,000%. Way to go MODG! Hate and discrimination against anyone is such an ugly, awful and exhausting thing.

Christina August 2, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Amanda is right it was negative. Actually the Appreciation Day was dreamed up by Mike Huckabee, and politics aside, the intention was to support Chick-Fil-A’s beliefs, not the freedom to exress those beliefs. I won’t go into those beliefs further as my head hurts from the shame of witnessing all too many of my friends post their pics at CFA yesterday, but the day was to show soliarity with the beliefs and in turn the funding CFA provides to organizations that share the beliefs. Organizations which publicly believe being gay should be punished criminally, can be cured, and desire the gay population to be removed from the country to protect the rest of us from the danger of gay people. I don’t know where these organizations wish to send the gay peole, but I’d like to imagine a very sunny island and I do hope they allow non-gays to visit as I bet it would be the most wonderful place ever.

Anna August 6, 2012 at 5:35 am

They can come to Australia! We have sunshine, we’re an island and we have an AWESOME Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras every year in Sydney…heck, you can all come and say Hi! We love visitors :)

Allison August 2, 2012 at 4:21 pm

And see, that’s not even the whole issue for me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however, some people take advantage of this right and use it for negativity. This is not just about the CEO expressing his opinion. This is about the fact that his company gives thousands of dollars to organizations that actively discriminate and spew hatred towards the gay community. They support the belief that you can “pray the gay away.” Great Christian values, huh?

Can we just have a group hug now and move on with life?

Karena August 2, 2012 at 4:51 pm

So would this have been ok if the CEO had said “I support segregation”? I think it would take a whole new tone to some people, however nobody seems to see that!

Katie August 4, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Just to clarify, the First Amendment prohibits Congress from passing laws curtailing free speech. It does not say that anyone gets to say anything at any time with no consequences whatsoever.

Diane August 7, 2012 at 4:32 pm

The way some of you have twisted this to imply that there was some kind of gag order placed on Mr. Cathy is so creepy. It really is.

I find it fascinating that when JC Penney had Ellen as their new spokesperson, there was a massive call for a boycott from Christians. Yet when Mr. Cathy is open about his financial donations going toward oppressing the rights of the GLBT community and a boycott begins as a result? christians all of the sudden try to twist a boycott into an issue about free speech.

This is exactly why I left the church.

Michelle b. August 1, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Love you, MODG. I’m also so tired of the drama and negativity everywhere lately. Feels like we’re just seeing the worst sides of everyone. It’s awful. But thanks for the video!

KT August 1, 2012 at 10:05 pm

You just said exactly what I’ve been feeling lately! Thank you for this!

Hannah August 1, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Dayle August 1, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Love you, hate haters! When I am in that mood I listen to Jennifer Nettles (pre-Sugarland) Drag Me Down. Great CD. Especially the lyrics “I tell em all to f…off”. Makes me feel better to know someone else feels that way too! Hang in there, sometimes the world bites!

Lauren August 1, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Thank you for saying what I’ve felt for weeks. Sadness. Confusion. Shock. I wish I could un-see the inner workings of some of my friends(?) acquaintances? Ignorance really is bliss sometimes.

Jenna August 1, 2012 at 10:13 pm

MODG,

thank you for accurately summing up how i’ve been feeling lately. just tonight, i was scrolling my facebook newsfeed, and shaking my head in disbelief at how comfortable other people are with expressing their opinions on such sensitive issues. i agree & disagree with some things going on in the world right now, but i would never proclaim those opinions over facebook for my mother, my liberal great-aunt, my conservative great aunt, that bitch from high school, and the kid i babysit three summers ago can see, and weigh in on it with me. it was really getting to me, feeling like i was the only person on facebook not sharing my vote come november, my love or hate for chicken sandwiches (and consequently, my approval/disapproval for gay marriage), and how i as a PA girl (unionville/kennett square shout out) feel about NCAA & pennstate.

i’m sorry this was so long, but i really wanted to thank you for making me feel a lot better tonight. but i must run, my kitten demands to watch the drag queens again.

Stephanie August 1, 2012 at 10:15 pm

That video was fantastic! Thanks for sharing it!

Ryan August 1, 2012 at 10:16 pm

I’m encouraged by how many people I know are really upset about some of these crappy things going on. It makes me realize that most of the people I know and love are genuinely good people that get it. Hopefully you have many good friends who get it and who are supporting you.

Meagan {Green Motherhood} August 1, 2012 at 10:23 pm

That was ah-mazing. Thank you for sharing.
Honestly, I have no idea what that video is trying to say. Hopefully there is no deep symbolism and it’s just telling all of us to laugh. Because that’s what I did. And I think more people should too.

Rachel August 1, 2012 at 10:23 pm

PREACH it girl.

Amanda B August 1, 2012 at 10:47 pm

I agree 100%. Very well said!

Cat August 1, 2012 at 10:51 pm

I too was shocked at how hateful/ignorant many of my Facebook friends were when they posted their opinions/views on the Chickfila scandal. And also at how many bronies I knew.

Get well soon MODG! I miss your posts

Kristie August 1, 2012 at 10:52 pm

I love you even more now. Mad props to the drags. And MODG.

Teresa August 1, 2012 at 10:56 pm

See, they support, so why can’t Chick-Fil-A???

Seriously, MTV needs to go back to music videos… just for this :)

Andi August 1, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Spot on. I just feel so sad looking at Facebook on days like today. I have a gay sister so it stings even more and we live in the South…..imagine the fun that brings!

Katie E. August 1, 2012 at 11:07 pm

We were always taught not to talk politics and religion with anyone outside the family, and even then, it could get dicey. I think people forget that when they are on the Internet. The downfall of social media is that we no longer have to look people in the eye when we are being assholes. We are also not able to stick our fingers in our ears and go lalalalalala! A good example of how social media is different from real life can go like this: I had a FB conversation with a guy I with whom I went to college. He did not have a great many social graces, but was tolerable enough you could sit in a study group with him and not think of bopping him on the head more than once. This guy and I have very different views on an issue. I gave him the links to where I got the information I was using. I didn’t call names, or tell him he was wrong, I just gave my support. He called me a bitch, because….apparently that’s how the Internet works. My husband and family members were not entertained. Not long after this I ran into this guy while my husband and I were on a date. I introduced the guy to my husband with this sentence, “Honey, this is so-and-so. We were at university together. He’s the one who called me a bitch the other day.” The look on the guy’s face was priceless, made better by the fact that 1)he was on a date with a girl and 2)my husband is large and bearded. It was resolved without violence, but you could tell he was shocked that I brought up a FB comment, like it didn’t exist off the internet. I try to stick by, “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all, even if you ARE right.”

Heather August 2, 2012 at 3:15 am

“The downfall of social media is that we no longer have to look people in the eye when we are being assholes.” YES. Well said.

Karena August 2, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Can I use this as my status??

MC August 2, 2012 at 5:37 pm

AWESOME. and a pretty classy way to call him out on it, too.

now you need to send him a FB message asking how the date went!

Rachel August 1, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I love you like a fat pregnant lady loves cake…..and chips, oh and probably ice cream too.

Katie August 1, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Thank you for that post.

Allyson August 1, 2012 at 11:53 pm

SAID SO WELL MODG! You always make me feel better when I read your posts. I wanted so badly to join in and post a facebook status about how one day I hope my nonexistent children can grow up in a world where hate is not so relevant and political activism is more than eating waffle fries, but I decided not to and now I’m really glad I didn’t lower myself to that level. My parents always taught me never to discuss money or politics but it seems no one else got the memo since facebook has since become an outlet for complaining and excessively forceful political views. Makes me sad!

Bridge August 2, 2012 at 1:06 am

Great post & great video.

Although I am very vocal with my democratic views, especially when it comes to that homophobic fast food chain, I understand why you feel you cannot voice your opinion.

Love your blog and your views.

Brandi@String Cheese Runner August 2, 2012 at 1:13 am

I want to delete facebook because I get so sick of all of that crap. Then sometimes I get enjoyment by watching all the idiots and their asinine opinions. It’s a love/hate battle that I have with facebook.

Elliepie August 2, 2012 at 7:08 am

Tell me about it. I live in effing South Carolina.

Alanna August 2, 2012 at 7:17 am

I know the feeling. My husband actually took a bunch of people off his facebook, he has trouble ignoring other people’s opinions when he really should just ignore it. He said he wasn’t willing to let his opinion about your opinion change his opinion about you. So he just removed them completely.

Our opinion on facebook, twitter, social media, etc is to treat it as a conversation at a dinner party or with your boss, avoid religion and politics (and parenting choices, depending on the company!).

Janet August 2, 2012 at 7:28 am

I know how you feel. I have blocked plenty of people from my FB feed so I don’t have to see any of their hate-filled nonsense. I know a lot of people can do it, but I just can’t be friends with people who spout that kind of stuff. It absolutely ruins people for me. Thanks for this, and that video made me laugh so hard.

Lindsay August 2, 2012 at 8:18 am

Thank you!

Katie R-G August 2, 2012 at 8:31 am

There are only a few people I can have a real conversation with about topics that are close to my heart. In most cases, and the reason I choose to abstain from most convo’s, I’m blown off as the hippie liberal, instead of a woman with a mind of her own who has beliefs and values that she holds true. And because I’m still learning how to disagree without getting heated to point of wanting to bitch slap people for their ignorant hate towards really ANY people they consider to not be “normal”, read: NON white christian hetero’s, I keep my convo’s confined to the few people I know how to disagree with. While my dad and I have many differing opinions, we never low blow, and we always listen when the other speaks. Usually neither of us comes away swayed in our beliefs, but it’s rare we dislike the other or judge each other for our differing life views.

It’s hard to talk about the things that matter, because THEY MATTER. And people say things to be hurtful instead of trying to have intimate conversation, because they don’t understand that they can’t control everyone else’s opinions.

So while I look forward to hearing your thoughts on important topics, I respect your need to clam up for the time being.

Lisa August 2, 2012 at 8:52 am

That video is the single best thing on the internet. I’m just going to turn off my computer since there’s no point in looking at anything else ever again. Oh, and I totally hate the blonde chick for being a hotter woman than I am.

sara August 2, 2012 at 8:53 am

okay I’m confused… I guess Ihave no clue what your post is referring to. I think I have been in an Olympic daze…. does anything else exist outside gymnastics and mens synchronized swimming – see the bods on those dudes?!?! Love it.

Christen August 2, 2012 at 9:00 am

I know what you mean. Yesterday made me feel like I was living in an alternate universe. I grew up in the deep South, but now live in New England, so my facebook feed was one big paradox. I seriously don’t know how I made out of 22 years in the deep South (and I’m sort of normal). It was really hard to watch people have so much glee over being so hateful. I swear they are all just sheep; they don’t even know why they hate so much, they just follow what everyone else does (at least the people I know seem this way). I once asked my mother why she would even care if someone was gay, and they only reasoning she could come up with was that it was ‘weird’ and ‘wrong’. Basically, she couldn’t handle anything outside of her own little bubble and sense of normalcy. Agghhhhhhh.

One of my husband’s relatives had the best take on this (he’s a nurse, and also a comedian):
“Does anyone else find it ironic that all of the chicken eating hateful people are actually making progress towards killing the hate by contributing to their own CVAs (strokes) and MIs (heart attacks)? To me, this is comedic justice.”

mare August 2, 2012 at 9:08 am

Modg – I love you and have been a long-time reader, but this is my first time commenting because I feel I need to say that everyone has the right to their own beliefs. If the owner of a chain believes in the traditional definition of marriage, that is his belief, and he has the right to it, just like other people believe the opposite, and it is their right to that belief as well. It seems like there is tolerance for all types of beliefs, except those of Christians these days, and Christians are being bullied for those beliefs. Mr Cathy never said he was homophobic, he simply stated his beliefs when asked. People went to eat Chick-fil-A yesterday in support of religious freedom, and the freedom to have whatever beliefs you want without being bullied. If that tolerance is extended to others, it should also be extended to Christians, and whoever elses beliefs are no longer mainstream.

Peace and sparkles to everyone!
M

Katie E. August 2, 2012 at 11:34 am

Mare, I agree. And when you go back and read the transcript, there was no hate speech made. And here is the nutshell for the whole issue: 4% of our population want something. However, that 4% of the population needs at least 47% to vote for it. The 47% of the population who need to vote on it for there to be a majority vote gains nothing from this vote. People rarely do things without gain. So the 4% of the population has to campaign actively to get 47% of the population to vote with them. However, any other part of the population can also campaign against the issue. What has unfortunately happened is there has been a lot of “shaming” propaganda. It is unfortunate because when you tell people that they are hateful, and ignorant, and bad because of their beliefs, they do not want to vote for your bill, so the propaganda and campaigning gets even more aggressive. So you have a polarization of sides with no one even trying to compromise anymore. And the vote still doesn’t pass.

Cyn August 3, 2012 at 10:34 am

I love this comment. I agree with you on every point you made.

NSC August 3, 2012 at 10:55 am

Can I “like” this??

Also…from my libertarian perspective.

Marriage is a religious institution. The government has no business promoting or issuing religious directives. The church is who should issue marriages, if they desire. That said, the state should issue civil unions to all partnerships they desire. This takes all religion out of the equation.

Katie August 4, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Who says that only 4% of the population “wants” equal civil rights for all?

Clarissa August 2, 2012 at 12:54 pm

The issue for most people who are saddened by this is not one of free speech. I have no problem with Cathy having his opinion or even saying it. The issue is that the company donates upwards of 5 million to groups that actively promote legislation that is discriminatory, including at least one group that has been designated a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center. Even if one spends her money at the chain to support “free speech,” there is the tacit assumption that this person is therefore comfortable and has no objections to 1) the discriminatory legislation and 2) having her money contribute to these sorts of groups. THAT is what the issue is.

MODG August 2, 2012 at 1:34 pm

If someone believes in “traditional” marriage, that is fine for them but why impose that on others? Why make others feel hated and discriminated? What if an entire establishment said that Christian White Girls weren’t as important as everyone else? You’d have a problem with that. I have a problem with you saying that Christians are being “bullied” Christians have bullied the rest of the religious worlds for centuries and even persecuted others because of it. Christians are the majority and that inherently makes life a lot easier. I’m fine with having Christian beliefs, but believe what you want for yourself, do not impose that on others. I have a problem with any religion making anyone feel less than they are. And AS a Christian, I’m ashamed.
PS. Do you also have a problem with shrimp? http://www.godhatesshrimp.com/

Katie E. August 3, 2012 at 10:34 am

Here is some food for thought. Anyone who wants to have a wedding officiated by a person of their faith can have one. Marriage ceremonies are not illegal. However, it is not legal for same sex couples to file the civil paperwork that gives them the taxable status and secular rights as a heterosexual married couple. So this is a secular issue. However, as long as it is attacked in a manner that is seen as forcing a redefinition of millennia old relational taxonomy employed by the 3 major world religions (Christianity, Judaism, and Islam,) as well as various Hindu religions, then you are going to have the knee-jerk reaction from people who identify with those religions. I think, and I’m sure someone is going to call me an asshole for this, that if the issue were separated from religion, and instead was a campaign for the rights and privilege of civil unions to be extended and altered, including who could have one, then the knee-jerk reaction from people of those 3 major world religions would die down. Then same sex couples could have their weddings, just like heterosexual couples, and file the paperwork too. Oh, and everyone is pointing at Christians, but no one has said anything about Muslims, or Jews, and how they aren’t voting for this law either. If you want to take religion out of the vote, then take the religious terminology out of it.

And MODG, you are being a jerk about Christians and how they have been bullies for centuries. We were not alive centuries ago. We are alive right now. And you know what has concerned me this summer? What issue has kept me and my family, as well as many other people I know, busy? Rwanda. Helping orphans of the genocide in Rwanda. Figuring out ways to help that will enable these orphans to become educated, self sufficient leaders of a nation in recovery. Raising money for school supplies, for the teachers of a school we helped build in one village. Trying to figure out how to fund an extra meal a week for the homeless orphans of another village. Trying to figure out if we can sponsor more orphans, give them a safe place to sleep, and food to eat, and clothing. Learning more about Reconciliation village, and the Land of a Thousand Hills coffee growers. I am tired of this polarizing, finger pointing, hate building issue, where people won’t even consider a freaking compromise on a single freaking law. And that goes for Both sides. As soon as BOTH sides stop being jerks, I’m sure something will be worked out. I do not rage over this. I rage for the motherless child.

Cyn August 3, 2012 at 11:22 am

Don’t you impose your beliefs on others every single day?

You vote for your local representatives who should represent your personal belief system when they vote on issues. Everyone’s personal belief system requires decisions on what is “right” and what is “wrong”. Thus, our government is controlled by what we (the majority) deem “acceptable”… meaning that we impose our beliefs on EVERYONE every day.

There are alot of minority groups out there who have their personal rights violated every day by our own laws that I’m sure you would support because you disagree with how they want to live their life. Some examples:

What about women who would like to practice prostitution? It’s her body, why shouldn’t she sell it to make money if she WANTS to? In our current system, she’d have to move to Nevada in order to do this legally. Much like gays would have to move to a state that supports gay marriage.

What about polygamy? There are some adults who CHOOSE to be in multi-partner relationships. But legally they can only be married to one person. No state supports that.

What about people who want to waste their lives doing massive amounts of drugs? Narcotics for recreational use is generally against the law. I personally think if you have the money and want to lay under a bridge and f*ck yourself up until you die, that’s your choice.

Or even more simply, why do people have to wear clothes in public? I’m sure there is a community of nudists who would like to walk around naked all day every day. But because we want to “protect our children” from seeing naked people (or protect ourselves from witnessing some grossness/sitting on a seat that a naked person just vacated), it is outlawed. Once again the belief of the majority overriding the “rights” of the minority.

The thing is, many people would look at my examples and say “well prostitution could be sex slavery… so we can’t allow it”. Or “drugs ruin homes and families”. But bottom line is that those laws infringe upon people’s rights. The laws that are meant to “protect” us infringe upon the rights of others.

Which is how some crazy christians look at gay marriage. They want to defend traditional marriage to “protect” their own belief system. Yes, it infringes upon the rights of homosexuals. I don’t agree with it either. But what I do agree with is that we all have the right to our beliefs. We have the right to elect officials who represent those beliefs. And we have a right to donate money to lobbyists and support groups who represent those beliefs in Washington as well.

Marjorie August 2, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Religious freedom means that Americans also have the right to NOT practice Christianity if they so choose. Laws should not be based on any one religion’s principles and that is the problem with this particular argument. Because the Bible says homosexuality is “wrong”, we have laws that do not allow homosexuals the same rights as heterosexuals. In doing that we are PREVENTING the practice of religious freedom because we are forcing a particular religion and its morals and values upon an entire nation of people who may or may not share those morals and values.

As far as freedom of speech, it does not seem as though this man had any problem speaking his mind. No one prevented him from publicly sharing his beliefs. He has not been arrested or stoned in the street. His freedom has remained intact. That freedom, however, does not require everyone to agree with him or support his beliefs. In my opinion, the truly Christian thing to do in his position would have been to say that his company follows the core principle of the Bible, which is to love one another.

michelle August 2, 2012 at 11:13 pm

What a rational, mature and well-thought-out comment. I love it. Have you considered running for president?

Alex @ Before The Baby Wakes August 2, 2012 at 3:54 pm

well said M!

holly August 2, 2012 at 3:57 pm

claiming you’re being persecuted for being christian is absurd. try being muslim for a little while. or gay. or both. to most christians i’ve come across (and i grew up in the south as a southern baptist) everyone has the right to their own belief as long as it lines up with theirs.
the chick-fil-a issue has nothing to do with religious freedom or freedom of speech and it’s a cop-out when people claim that. dan cathy has the freedom to state that he doesn’t believe in gay marriage or basic human rights for homosexuals. i have the freedom to state that i absolutely disagree with him and to tell others exactly why i disagree with him. i also have the right to not spend my money on his chicken sandwiches because i have the knowledge that the money that i spend goes towards pushing ahead an agenda to deny basic human rights to others. you can be anti-gay all you want, but be prepared for push back from people who don’t agree with you and think that other people should know what you’re using the money they spend at your business for.

Jasmine August 2, 2012 at 8:42 pm

“anyone tired of hearing about people fighting for equal rights should imagine for a moment being without them.” My new FB status. Ty.

melissa August 2, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Then Cathy doesn’t have to marry a dude. As a non-Christian, I am tired of being persecuted by you smug assholes.

Katie August 4, 2012 at 10:09 pm

This goes so far beyond “simply stating beliefs.” This is about financed discrimination and institutionalized hatred towards other human beings. And as far as “that tolerance” being “extended to others”…can you imagine if you were only “tolerated’ rather than being treated as an equal citizen under the law? Not to mention that “tolerating” doesn’t really describe the way that many members of the LGBTQ community are treated by the hetero-majority. When was the last time someone was beaten or murdered for being Christian?

–a committed ally for equality

Sarah August 2, 2012 at 9:26 am

Seriously, thank you for putting this into words. Every day I feel like my husband and I retreat more and more into the confines of our relationship because it is just easier. We feel judged for our choices. We judge others. We watch others be judged. And it’s just easier to exist in our happy little house and not confront all that crap. But I know we have to ~ we just haven’t learned how to be us in a world where it’s hard to be you and where people are just crazy as shit.

The morning radio host made a comment this morning that stuck with me. (I don’t usually rely on the morning radio show for guidance and truth-finding, but shit happens.) They were telling stories of funny things their parents did to them as children ~ things like making a kid sit in a dog kennel to eat because she was eating her dinner like an animal. And he pointed out that nowadays, there would be outrage over such a thing. And he said it’s because people are taught that they’re supposed to be outraged by these things even if they really aren’t and actually think that having a kid eat in a (large) dog’s kennel ONCE is probably good punishment for a kid who is old enough to know better. And damn! That radio guy is right! I just don’t want to be outraged anymore.

Gosh…that’s a really long-winded way to say that I am sorry you feel this way, but there is some comfort in knowing that we’re not alone and can be miserable together.

Julialifeisart August 2, 2012 at 10:25 am

Just “hide” all your dick friends who can’t shut their damn racist/sexist/ignorant/bigot mouths on Facebook so you can still be friends with them in real life where all you talk about is The Bachelor and who looks fat. That’s what I do.

Tracy August 2, 2012 at 10:45 am

HOLY SHIT I laughed so hard at that! Thanks for all the laughs!

Ariel August 2, 2012 at 11:01 am

I love your blog and this is the first time commenting. I also want to point out that dan cathy did not say he hates gays, he only said he is a supporter of his biblical view of traditional marriage. I’m not sure that makes him a bigot, as I’ve seen many people say on the internet. I’m not sure many people have actually read the interview he gave or looked into the orga izations he gave to. The facts don’t point to hate on his part.
Personally, I am a christian, but I’m not fighting the war on gays. I’m ok with them getting hitched — if it ever comes down to a federal law i will vote to allow them to marry. I have my own personal beleifs on homosexuality, but I feel wrong imposing that belief on others. But it took a lot of thinking and weighing the facts to come to that decision. So, don’t give up on your friends. But don’t consider them bigots either, unless they actually do hate gay people….then i guess that’s what they are.

MODG August 2, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I think it’s more about his sizable donations to anti gay groups that is the problem. Not in his words.

Allyson August 2, 2012 at 3:32 pm

AMEN. I think everyone has a right to what they believe in (EVEN if it is hate and even if I don;t agree with your hate). For example, my parents who are born and raised on cattle farms and in Baptist churches in Texas, don’t support gay marriage. That doesn’t mean I’m boycotting them or love them any less – their lives have created their own personal point of views and they feel the same way about my opposite views. My parents however don’t donate to organizations that are hate oriented. They don’t give chicken platters to groups who “pray away the gay”. And that is what I have a problem with Chickfila doing. That and creating a whole day to support themselves and in reality hate others. It is sad and although I love me some waffle fries, I don’t love the idea of hating others. ALSO – something that has been annoying me is the quote “sanctity of marriage”. I know a whole lots of Christians who get divorced and who cheat but yet it is two people of the same sex wanting to get married that are ruining the sanctity of marriage. More than half of marriages end in divorce yet everyone is quick to throw the “sanctity of marriage” card at gay marriage.

Jami August 2, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I’m a Christian, and I LOVE me my Jesus. I can’t help but wonder what amazing things Jesus would do for the hungry, needy, orphans or widows, lonely, tortured souls with 5 million dollars. I try to think about where Jesus would be on this issue. And best as I can come up with, he would he in line at the rescue mission hugging a disheveled soul instead of standing in line for a chinkn sandwich. Because really, if your living a life of love, who has the time? As for me, and my house, we have decided to love others recklessly and fully. With no exceptions allowed. I even love the people that disagree with me on this.

meg August 2, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Jami, I seriously want to give you a hug right now! That was fantastic to read.

Jami August 4, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Hugs back at ya Meg! Love wins!

Sara August 2, 2012 at 11:16 am

Well said. Can’t we all just get along?!?!? Everyone expects me to have a huge opinion on this whole chick-fil-a thing because my brother is gay and married his partner this past year. And I’m like – What are y’all so worked up about??? It’s CHICK-FIL-A. Who cares what they think???? Are they really that important? I just don’t get it. However……it has really opened my eyes to the beliefs of people I thought I knew. I’ve lost a lot of respect for specific people this last week. Makes me sad. And like you said – my blinders are off now.

Erin @ WriteTasty August 2, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Let freedom ring! Grateful to live in a place where we can think what we like, sad that so many people choose to hate, and alarmed at the lack of insight/ research/ independent thought in so many people’s responses to it all.

Christa August 2, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Hey MODG,
Well said. Yesterday was confusing and sads-inducing for me too. I also wrestled for a while on whether or not to put my feelings out there on my blog about Penn State (I eventually did and had more hits that ever on my little beginner baby blog). What works for me when I get the confused sads and start hating everyone and their opinions and ignorance is to write the post, in the blog or in a Word doc or whatever, and just get the bad jujus out of my system and onto paper. Like the guy in Green Mile when he would spew the bugs and negativity from the people he was healing. Just put it on the paper. Then refine later and post it if you feel so inclined, but either way get it out of you. Good luck MODG – wrestling feelings can be no fun!
Christa

Newlyweds on a Budget August 2, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I think something that needs to be remembered in all this is that name calling and bullying never helped anyone get anywhere.
If you want to gain traction for a certain cause, it really needs to be done with education, understanding and a heck of a lot of patience. This whole “burn-everyone-at-the-stake that doesn’t agree with your views” thing gets really old really fast.
Rome wasn’t built in a day, civil rights didn’t happen overnight, and people–in general–are not good with change. I think the movement is heading in the right direction, but picking a fight with a fast food chain isn’t exactly the smartest way to get your point across.

MODG August 2, 2012 at 1:51 pm

You really see this as “picking a fight with a fast food chain”
I think it’s standing up for basic human rights. But tomato tomato (that saying is harder to type than say I guess)

Newlyweds on a Budget August 2, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Standing up for basic human rights by hosting a mass kiss-in? Yeah, don’t think that helps human rights at all actually. I much preferred the link that’s been going around showing same sex couples getting married and really showing who they are as normal.
And what happened yesterday was a direct response to the kiss-in that is planned for tomorrow.

Clarissa August 3, 2012 at 11:15 pm

I don’t think so. Gay people are not under any obligation to “show people that they’re normal.” They should not have to win approval in order to be granted equality. The burden of educating the ignorant is not on them. The burden of educating their oppressors is not on them. Not holding a mass kiss-in is not going to accomplish anything, either. It’s a way of standing up and saying that they will not be ignored or put into the “box” that their detractors want them to be in.

Can you imagine, in the 1960s, asking southern blacks to prove to anti-immigration people that they’re just “normal” and their children won’t screw up white kids? It’s unfair, and in its own way is just another form of oppression. It’s like asking someone to prove that they have the right to exist, every single day.

Heather August 2, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Great post. Well written and I agree w you about the blissful ignorance. I have actually ended up “unfriending” friends when their fb hate gets to be too much….

jess liv August 2, 2012 at 2:28 pm

for everyone complaining that those against chick-fil-a are just hating on free speech, read this: http://www.defshepherd.com/2012/08/the-chick-fil-flap-is-not-really-about.html

i’m sick of reading those comments because they’re untrue & shallow.

Jessica August 2, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Oh MODG. Thank you so much. This is exactly how I’ve been feeling. Just knowing that someone else feels that way helps me feel better.

Renee August 2, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I knew I could count on you to address this without starting a preppy war…although, I kind of wish it had as much drama as the preppy war…or the “bitch stole my wedding” war…that was fun too.
But I digress.
In case anyone is interested, this is hands down the most well articulated explanation of Chick fi antigay controversy I’ve come across. Watch both…they are brilliant!
If you haven’t seen a pod cast from Jackson Pearce, you are missing out!

and the follow up:

I hope your spam blocker doesn’t flag this as such. Both are youtube videos that are, in my opinion, MUST SEE’s on the subject, especially for anyone riding the fence on this issue.

Renee

Danielle @ Casa Bower August 2, 2012 at 3:29 pm

My Great-Aunt **** ******** ********* posted something very insightful on facebook last week…and this is coming from a woman born during the depression and lives in the South. It’s not always a generational thing…This makes me proud to be her great niece.

“O K, I am going to stick my head under the chopping block but it seems to me in a free country a Catholic should not be forced to say they agree with abortions, a Muslim should not have to say they agree with drinking liquor and a Baptist should not have to say they agree with gay marriages. I agree with the need for legal abortion, legal liquor and maybe a little moonshine if it is carefully made, as well as legal gay marriage. I don’t agree that I have the right to condemn or scorn the rest of the world for being different than me. Please no brick bats or anything involving fire. If you don’t believe in abortions don’t get one, and if you don’t believe in drinking alcohol then don’t drink any, and if you don’t believe in gay marriages don’t have one but don’t tread on my rights.”

ashlie August 2, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Simple solution – just come to Canada! We don’t have Chik Fil A here or however you spell it. Just good old KFC (or PFK if you want it in French!). We also have Mary Brown’s chicken, which has a pickle hat on the bun, which is pretty fantastic.

Jennifer August 2, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I love your blog. I think you’re awesome. With that being said, I have to say that this whole Chick-fil-A issue is totally out of control. I consider myself a Christian. As a Christian, I go against what it says in the Bible because I’d like to think that I’m a smart Christian who can choose what I want to believe. I support gay marriage. I believe love is the most important thing most people need in their lives, and it’s not up to me to point my finger and judge another person or condemn them for who they choose to love. However, I also believe in the freedom of speech. If you don’t like what a person or a company has to say, then stop listening or don’t support that company. It’s pretty simple. I think people came out to support more than just Christian values. I never once heard Dan Cathy say that he won’t allow gay employees or gay people to eat at his establishment. I personally know of two people who are gay who have worked at Chick-fil-A, neither of which felt judgement when they worked there. I understand people have a problem with where Chick-fil-A sends their profits. Tell me, how is it any different than Apple or Starbucks sending their own profits to support gay marriage? It’s not up to me to tell any company how they should spend their money. Christians as well as people who are anti gay still support and buy Apple products and drink their lattes from Starbucks. I’m all for equality but I think both sides on this issue are full of too much hate. I had a friend post a comment this morning on his facebook page saying if any of his friends ate at Chick-fil-A yesterday, then they can just go ahead and delete themselves from his friend’s list. This status came from a facebook page called Gay Marriage USA. So if you think Christians are hateful people, then you must include a lot of gays into the same category. It’s all uncalled for.

Alex @ Before The Baby Wakes August 2, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I love the gays. Equality for all. But I don’t love this “let’s boycott chick fil a” thing. the left is hypocritical but so is the right. when jcp hired ellen & christians went ballistic the left called them out for it. when oreo made that super delicious looking campaign with the rainbow centers & christians said they were going to boycott the left called them out on it. so now i’m calling the left out. you don’t get to wag your finger at one group & say how wrong they are for wanting to boycott something when you are doing the same thing. also i wonder if all of you are boycotting chick fil a have also done your research on every other restaurant, business or product you use & frequent to see what it is THEY support. 90% probably haven’t.

its a chicken sandwich eat it & than go to a gay pride event.

MODG August 2, 2012 at 4:09 pm

It’s not a left right thing. I know a lot of republicans who would be insulted to be grouped into this

Veralynn August 3, 2012 at 3:00 pm

*raises hand*

smashleighmm August 2, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I know that you and I differ on politics and religion but I think you are incredibly funny and smart and I love your blog.

Beth August 2, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Is Dan Cathy donating to these organizations specifically because they have anti-gay agendas? Is he earmarking that money specifically for gay hate? Or is he donating to Christian companies because he is a strong Christian and it makes total sense for a Christian to donate to Christian organizations? Once that is answered with a yes then I will shame Dan Cathy for donating to FRC and other gay-hating organizations, but I’m not sure that can be answered with the information given right now. I am pro gay marriage, but to me and for ME personally thus far this has been more about freedom of speech. Check out the Family Research Council (listed as a hate group)’s list of donors… if you’re boycotting companies that donate to hate groups, you’d better add Disney, Melissa and Doug, T-mobile, and Verizon (to name just a few) to that list…

Julie August 2, 2012 at 5:59 pm

That’s a bit misleading… the companies you list (Melissa & Doug, Disney, etc.) are not linked directly to Family Research Council. They appear to be partners with ConnectionPlus, an online app that allows you to give back a small percentages of online purchases to a group of your choice (Family Research Council happening to be one of thousands). My guess would be that ConnectionPlus legally cannot pick and chose what organizations they exclude. It’s not technically those companies donating any money- it’s the customers who shop there choosing to give back part of their purchases to the hate filled Family Research Council.

And that’s what drives me nuts about shit like this: people doing 5 seconds (if any) research about something and then proclaiming what they find to the world as fact. The truth always runs deeper than a quick google search, and it’s maddening for the rest of us to play detective to try and unravel the half truths and convoluted nonsense.

Beth August 2, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Julie, thank you for informing me about ConnectionPlus. I admit I simply typed in “companies who donate to Family Research Council” into google and that wonderful list complete with information on how much of my purchase would be donated to FRC popped up. I have never before heard of ConnectionPlus and therefore had no idea that how you described it is how it works. Thank you for so politely educating me. I stand by my main point, and the last sentence of my paragraph was not my main point. Off to go research every company I have ever bought anything from to make sure I haven’t offended anyone anywhere in any way by any of my money somehow going towards something offensive.

Julie August 2, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Sorry Beth, the end of my comment was a bit harsh. I just read your last sentence and went “oh shit, not Disney and Melissa & Doug too!!”, so I went off on a wild goose chase trying to confirm it (didn’t really care to lose 20 minutes of my life to researching ConnectionPlus, haha). Something else I dug in and researched: for all this talk about Chick-fil-A donating $ to the dreaded Family Research Council, in actuality only $1000 of almost $2 million in 2010 went to them. That still sucks, but I was shocked to find out how little it actually was, given the fierce rhetoric surrounding it specifically.

Anyway, I actually do agree with the first part of your main poin- donating to Christian Charities/organizations is natually going to result in some $ probably going to the anti-gay agenda, whether thats your main intention or not. So the question of whether or not that WAS the intention is a good one… And unfortunately it looks to me like he confirmed those intentions last week with his public statement defending “traditional marriage”.

Tara August 2, 2012 at 3:59 pm

What I find interesting in all of this is Chicken sandwich + medium waffle fries + medium coke = 1000 calories, 36 g of fat, 1565 mg sodium, 137 g of carbs.
They need a sign at the door that reads:
Welcome to Chick Fil A – Where obesity is “genetic” but being gay is a “lifestyle Choice”.

Oh, and for those of you who say this is about free speech and not about same sex marriage, here are some of the most hate filled tweets on the subject yesterday. Don’t tell me this isn’t about discrimination.

Girl 1 August 2, 2012 at 4:06 pm

The bible is not a bag of chex mix….. You can’t call yourself a Christian and pick and choose what you like out of it. I fail at following it many times but I pray, ask for forgiveness and work hard not to do it again. Please quit calling christians misinformed and a bigot because we are not. Mr Cathy can do what he wants with his money even if it is to support his beliefs and companies who are pro gay can do the same, it’s freedom and what we have fought for for many years.

Lisa August 2, 2012 at 7:52 pm

His money is killing gay people. He’s not doing the killing, but his money is funding it. You really want to support that?

Kiki August 4, 2012 at 9:02 am

I have not really been following this whole story closely. I know how I feel and let others feel the way they do. Plus I don’t want to keep spreading the “hate” by trying to tell someone else I think they are wrong. But Lisa’s comment struck me. So in my ignorance, what cause is he supporting that is killing gay people? And why is this not more widely reported?

Diane August 7, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Gay kids are the #1 at risk group for suicide and they kill themselves because of the message they are getting that they aren’t good enough for God.

Janet August 2, 2012 at 9:50 pm

This argument from Girl 1 ( and many other Christians) falls flat for me unless you are following all the other strange random laws in the Bible, like avoiding shellfish and wearing clothing made from only one fabric (avoid the wool and cotton blends!). Obsessing over a few mentions of homosexuality–especially since the Sodom and Gomorrah story is arguably about hospitality, not homosexuality–is just silly. Jesus didn’t mention gay people at all, and he didn’t seem like a hateful dude.

April August 5, 2012 at 1:12 am

This is off-topic, but it bothers me when people take random things from the Bible and use them incorrectly. We don’t have to avoid shellfish or wear clothing of only one fabric–we aren’t Jews living in Old Testament times. Those were laws that God gave to them. Since Jesus lived a perfect life, then died and rose again, we are no longer bound by those laws.
As a Christian, I’d like to not be thought of as a bigot or hateful person–because I don’t hate gay people. I try not to judge others–only God can judge what’s in a person’s heart. And I also know that were it not for Christ, I’d be headed straight down to hell when I die, because I sin every single day, just like everyone else. True Christians KNOW what horrible sinners they are–that they are certainly not better than anyone else.
As for the whole Chick-Fil-a thing, what bothers me is what someone mentioned in another comment–that certain mayors have said they would ban Chick-Fil-a from opening restaurants in their cities. Total violation of the Constitution! Why is it okay to try and ban a restaurant because its president supports traditional marriage? Can you imagine the uproar if those mayors tried to ban a restaurant because its president supported GAY marriage?

Vanessa August 2, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I feel you. I actually deactivated last week because im over the whole social media thing. This post explains that perfectly…I havent missed it at all and its actually nice to chat with someone and not already know what theyve been up too.

Kayla August 2, 2012 at 4:44 pm

MODG, I feel this exact same way. As a former Christian and a Texas citizen I am having a VERY hard time trying to fight the rest of the country (or so it feels). I can’t do it anymore. I can’t handle the hatred and the bigotry of it all. It is literally giving me heart palpatations, my boyfriend (whose very beloved brother is in fact a ….gay) has even told me to stop trying. This being said, I must add that if I hear one more so called “Christian” say they are being bullied or discriminated against, I will lose my fucking mind! PEOPLE LISTEN, fighting intolerance does NOT make you intolerant!!!! Everyone who says they believe in Christianity and thy turns around and judges someone for who they love is lying. They being out aside, as I’m not sure I can group myself with such hypocrisy, our constitution clearly states separation of church and state people. Nobody is trying to push their beliefs on you, we are only trying to gain was is also promised in the constitution (this is written in unmistakeable clear and concise plain English, there can be NO misinterpretation!) EQUALITY FOR ALL, this doesn’t say equality for all Christian or everyone except gays, or blacks, or women but FOR ALL! Believe what you want and rock the fuck on, but DO NOT PICK AND CHOOSE WHAT YOU WANT TO ABIDE BY IN WHATEVER CONVIENT TEXT YOU WANT! That’s all, sorry for the rant!

Sophia August 2, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Been living blissfully unaware of this shit storm down here in Australia, but I’d just like to weigh in on this topic. I couldn’t give a monkey’s arse who loves who, as long as there is love in the heart all is good with me. I think it is ludicrous that in this day and age there are still people and organisations in the world that are not evolved enough (take that creationists) to accept difference and diversity and celebrate it. Why can’t we just all be friends? Peace out dudes.

Sara Creely August 2, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I’m so scared for the rest of election season. I changed offices since the last election where I was proud to flaunt my liberal hippie sparkles. Now I’m surrounded by haters. And as strong as I am about my beliefs, I know they are about theirs, so any discussions are really pointless and exhausting. I really did remove people after the last election — I’m not going to waste my newsfeeds with people I knew 15 years ago spewing hate.

Lluvia August 2, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I want to live in a world where two people who love each other can get married regardless of their sex, race, nationality…
After all, love knows no race, gender, nationality, skin color…it just is.
Not too long ago, my marriage was illegal. Thank God that whole colored and whites segregation crap is over!!!!

Jennifer August 2, 2012 at 9:40 pm

That. Video. Is. Awesome.

Kelsey August 2, 2012 at 10:44 pm

I read this before I found out what happened with CFA. The Bible isn’t the end all be all. Quote from the post: “Tracing even a few, limited topics from one biblical book to another can make the point: If one book forbids marriage between foreigners and Israelites, the next depicts such marriages as a source of blessing, not only to Israel but to all of humankind. If one insists that women are saved by childbearing, the next recommends that women avoid childbearing altogether in order to devote themselves more fully to God. If one suggests that sex with a relative, the wife of another man, or with a male lover will certainly lead to the nation’s downfall, the next depicts heroic kings engaging in precisely these forms of sex. ”
The rest of it is an interesting read. I’m someone who believes in the spirit of Christianity, but the main part of that spirit is extending peace and acceptance to all.
Your post was well handled, MODG – kudos.

Kelsey August 3, 2012 at 12:21 pm
Kelsey August 2, 2012 at 10:45 pm
Laura August 3, 2012 at 9:14 am

ok Amanda, now you have gone too far…I am pissed. You have crossed the line. You just threw Hey Dude under the bus…Melody, Ted, the whole gang. Ok, now that just makes me look lame.

I am so with you here. So many times this week I went to write a post in anger about my feelings and I would get so worked up I couldn’t even get my words to come out in a coherent way. They want to call it free speech but it is hate. It makes me sad to see people spending hours and hours of their time standing in line for a damn chicken sandwich supports such an ugly cause. Have we not moved passed this in our day? Why do we care who anybody marries? Don’t we just want everyone to be happy? I know I want to be happy in my life and I don’t want anyone standing in my way making it harder. I just wish people would get off their damn high horses.

Rant over and thanks for posting.

Kristin August 3, 2012 at 10:32 am

Here is my issue. I support gay marriage. I want equal rights for everyone. If you are adult, in my mind, you can marry whomever you want. Go for it! BUT… I love chicken sandwiches. :( And I am sad that this (not being his opinion- because I love free speech and freedom of religion- but his contributions to “hate” organizations) makes me not want to eat chicken sandwiches.

Worse- it has made me question every purchase I make. If I honestly decide to never eat chicken sandwiches again because of where the money is being donated.. then shouldnt I check EVERY OTHER purchase I make to determine where money is being donated on those fronts. Shouldnt I take a stand for every issue I love and support- not just gay marriage? And, if that is the case… what else will I have to restrict from my diet/way of life just to take a stand?

And then.. my brain explodes. And…Because I am lazy. Because I am not strong enough. Because I am an entitled wasp. Because I am complacent….I justify still eating my chicken sandwich. Because, if I can’t stand up for everything i believe in, if I can’t boycott every product that possibly supports some sort of hate, then I might as well eat more chicken.

Kelsey August 3, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I love your last paragraph. I won’t stop eating at Chik-Fil-A. Their waffle fries are amazing. However, you won’t see me showing up on a specific day to support them. I’m selfish, I’m pregnant, and I want waffle fries… but I won’t go out of my way to support them.

Sarah DeClerk August 3, 2012 at 11:53 am

As an Arkansas, I got to witness first hand the embarrassment of Mike Huckabee’s “support Chick Fil A day”. I seriously was so upset and feel so sorry for the dumb souls that took 2 hours lunch breaks to dine at a fast food restaurant. Here’s my blog experience/ view… Not nearly as awesome as your’s Modge- but then again- we can’t all be as awesome as you! Keep on writing honest and fabulous!

Busy Walrus August 3, 2012 at 5:03 pm

If you love CFA – pinterest has a knock-off recipe. The secret ingredient is pickle juice. Made it last week, it totally works!!!!

eileen marie August 4, 2012 at 10:15 am

I’m not going to get in the thick of it; I’ll just say I believe all human beings are deserving of the same rights. That being said, I cannot stop watching the drag queens. I think one is prettier than me, or at least skinnier with better make up. Kill.me.now.

Erica August 5, 2012 at 3:05 pm

That video is awesome! I have been watching it on repeat. Thank you!

Courtney J August 5, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I just wanted to say that video is awesome! I hadn’t seen that one. Is it just me or is the “dude” with the long blonde hair super pretty?! I also have had trouble with this issue. I don’t really have the balls to take my stance on fb…I’m not good with confrontation and a have a LOT of ignorant “friends”. But this is one issue that I feel very strongly about, especially when my LBGT people are getting battered with hate. I 100% believe that everyone has a right to their own opinion, but whys it gotta be all shitty and purposely hurtful? I was honestly shocked to see some of my close family members posting pictures of themselves at CFA. I’m thinking the next family BBQ is gonna be a little awkward…

Katie September 1, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Reason #547 why I am so happy I live in Burlington, Vermont… not ONE of my friends/Facebook friends/coworkers/acquaintances/family members even for one minute got behind this Chick-Fil-A nonsense. We all heard the story, thought it was crazytownUSA, and moved on feeling thankful we live in an amazing Northeast state that allows gay marriage. I have to admit, I know there are beautiful places and wonderful people down there, but the South collectively kinda scares me…

{ 1 trackback }