No, I’m not just going to say “as long as it’s healthy”. I’m going to say what I’m really thinking.

In exactly one week from today the 3 of us get the news that will change our lives forever.

And I’ve made no secret to friends, family, waitresses, ants who look like they want to chat, exactly what I want that news to be. And it’s a risky little game my friends. Risky little game.

In one week we find out if Yoshi is a girl or a boy.

And let’s get this out of the way now before you all slam with with hatred and 4 fingered stories. OBVIOUSLY the first priority is the baby being healthy. To even think that that isn’t the priority is so stupid and unthinkable that it’s not even worth mentioning. That’s why I don’t give that lame ass answer when people ask me if we want a boy or a girl. I say A GIRL, DUH. And they kind of half laugh like, man it’s going to be awkward if you call me and tell me you’re having a boy. And yes, yes it will be.

But to be totally honest, up until about a week ago, I really didn’t even think for a minute that there was a possibility that Yoshi is a boy. I know that’s like the stupidest most uniformed thought ever. Especially from someone who is a huge fan of science. I mean I get it. It’s like 50/50. But my whole brain and spirit and the other spirits that probably follow me around and hide my keys all are telling me that it’s a girl. And up until yesterday, everyone else did too. I even had a hippie put her hands on my belly for like a whole 60 seconds and look at me with confidence and say GIRL. I mean if that’s not as good as an ultrasound, I don’t know what is.

But then THEN my neighbor was like, oh you’re totally having a boy. And I literally stopped breathing. WHAT WHAT WHAT did you say? Yeah, you’re having a boy, she says. I can tell by the way you are carrying. (I just started like really really showing). And I’m showing exactly the way I did with G. She reminded me that people who are preg with girls get fat all over and I’m just popped out in the front and low. SHIT. I do remember Bethenny’s face spreading out and looking like it got smashed in a waffle iron. Maybe I’m wrong?

B didn’t even dare bring up boys names with me. It just wasn’t even a discussion. Until yesterday.

Me: B WE NEED TO THINK OF BOYS NAMES.

B: Um…ok.

Me: I know you’re thinking …but we’re not having a boy and that’s a crazy waste of time. BUT MAYBE WE ARE.

B: Yeah that’s definitely what I was thinking.

Me: So make with the names and fast. I’ll be weeping in the corner.

This is when B comes up with like 12 joke names, like Sergeant Math, to be funny. And then I point to my huge already belly and scream at his face DOES THIS LOOK LIKE A JOKE TO YOU? And then he says Adam or something lame.

And then I think about all the people who I told that I KNOW I’m having a girl so don’t even worry about it. And then they make this face like, poor thing doesn’t understand science. And I’m like I GD LOVE THE SHIT OUT OF SCIENCE. DON’T PLAY. I just know.

But now I’m doubting and now I’m scared and it’s all I think about.

I’m such a girl. Everything about me screams girl. EXCEPT the part where girls sit around in groups and talk about how “nice” other girls are.

Girls: Oh she’s so nice! Yeah she is so nice. Do you know that girl? Oh she’s the nicest!

And then I run away. Because I’d rather sit with the boys and talk about what douche Single Guy is for popping his collar post 2001. But otherwise, I’m a girl all the way. And I just want to buy dresses and brush hair, and paint nails, and have tea parties and dress up like princesses and totally be princess feminists who recycle and have careers with my little girl. BUT I don’t want to have to deal with my little girl asking for her first thong at 8 years old and telling me that she’s so over wearing non half shirts. No I don’t want that. And dudes, G is called dramababy for a reason. Can you even imagine a female G? I shutter. But I know all of this. And man do I still want to have a little girl.

But then I think about G with a little buddy and it makes me happy.

But I can’t lie to you or to myself or to the vagina spirits. I am really hoping for a girl. And during that ultrasound if I hear those words again that I heard 2 years ago with G. I’m going to cry. And it’s going to be way uncomfortable. Because man what an asshole I am to be crying about a healthy baby growing inside of me. People would kill for that. And I know that. But like I said, those 3 words we are about to hear will change our lives forever.

So stay tuned internet. And stay sciencey.

POSTED IN: B,babies,Mom Stuff,Preg Stuff,Psychic stuff

Renee June 19, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Not to worry…It’s a girl. I feel it too!

Renee

Kim June 19, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I had a boy, and I got fat all over!

Tara Roddick June 19, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I carried all over with my son and just in front with my girl:)

Naomi June 19, 2012 at 12:41 pm

” She reminded me that people who are preg with girls get fat all over and I’m just popped out in the front and low. ”

That’s a load of crap! When I was pregnant with my daughter – I was all massively beach ball at the front (it literally looked like I had a beach ball tucked under my clothing – it was ridiculous!) and not an ounce of fat anywhere else (well, except my boobs – they got huge). But from behind, and my face – I didn’t look pregnant.

MODG June 19, 2012 at 2:01 pm

ok I know that not everyone carries the same but it was just the one person with one idea to put doubt in my head.

Gracie June 19, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Also, Bethenny totes didn’t get the smashy-face look until she was like 7.5 months. Yoshi is definitely a girl. Even if [she] is not a girl, it’s much healthier to express what you want rather than keep it inside.

Go science!

Carolyn June 20, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Totally normal response. People be crazy though. They say the damnedest things don’t they! I carried only in front, didn’t get fat all over and had a girl. But of course, I swore to our technician that we must having a boy because the sales person at the maternity store said I was even though we already found out we were having a girl. Sales girl: what are you having? Me: a girl. Sales girl: oh no. You’re having a boy. You’re carrying way too low. Me: !!!!!! [me thinking oh shit, we're having a boy?!] Technician 2 weeks later when I tell her we’re having a boy and everything is ruined: do you see a penis? Me: no but don’t people think they’re having one sex and then end up with the other all the time? Technician: …

julie s. June 19, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Same here…had a girl…couldn’t even tell I was pregnant from behind through the whole pregnancy. No worries, it’s totally a girl. Every person I know had a girl, and now I feel like I know you, so you’re having a girl, too.

TC June 19, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Chill girl, I was totally all belly with both my girls!

Kimberly June 19, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Go with your gut, lady. My gut has been right ALL THREE TIMES.

Even when I was pregnant with my second daughter and people were like “you’re totally having a boy” and I just smiled and nodded and was loling to myself because I knew they’d all feel silly when the ultrasound came back that we were having a girl. And that’s totally what happened.

Then when I was pregnant with my third baby, everyone was like “you’ve GOT to be having a boy this time” and I was like, “yes, yes I am”. And I totally was.

Can’t wait to find out and I’m sending baby girl thoughts your way!

Brandy June 19, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Well then, here’s to hoping you get fat all over :)

But no, not really. I had a girl and I was ALL belly. The rest of me actually got skinnier while my belly got bigger (no, I’m not delusional). So there’s that.

Katie R-G June 20, 2012 at 7:07 am

This happens to me too and I have 2 girls. I’m pregnant now, though we won’t find out for another 8 weeks WTF, and my husband always responds to my “Do I look fat????” harrassments with “No, you look tighter everywhere else, just a baby bump”. This statement skeeves me out, but also makes me not hate looking at myself in the mirror.
MODG, if you want, I can trade you. I really want a boy and am probably going to break down in sobs when I find out I’m having a girl AGAIN. So we’ll just switch them out. I’m part Italian, and my eyes look Asiany when I smile, so no one will know. I really want a son! ugh, at least my 19 month old is cool with playing in the dirt and she walks kinda like a dude, so there’s that?

Melissa June 19, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I’m sure it’s a girl…I have 2 and they are amazeballs. I’m prego again and I just feel that it’s a boy. I kind of deep down want it to be another girl…am I crazy and craving drama or what? But I think my husband would love a boy and hopefully I can give him that.
Whatever happens…it will be the right fit for you, I’m sure of it, just like you said.

Ashley // Our Little Apartment June 19, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Eh, I say trust your gut. It’s close to your uterus, so it knows what’s up.

Beth June 19, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Long time reader, first time commenter. But this sums up everything I feel about wanting children, I want a little girl. I want to play with princesses and barbies. Because thats the kind of little girl I was. And yes my mom and I got in screaming fights and I cried alot while I was a teenager, but I can handle that because I know girl drama. I get it.
Im crossing my fingers for ya.

Jordan - Queen of LA June 19, 2012 at 1:55 pm

i want a girl so badly that i KNOW, i just KNOW, that i will be blessed with three triplet sons :)

in that case, you know what i always say? “one of them better be gay!”

Lorah June 19, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I saw this blog a few years ago and it has always stayed with me. It actually seems to work.. I have an older brother with a “point” hairline, mine is straight, and I have a younger sister.
It is interesting to say the least!

Lorah June 19, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Ok so she missed with the last one… I just read the “update” lol. But it is still very interesting!

Natalie June 19, 2012 at 12:48 pm

There is no way you aren’t having a girl. And I will cry with you if it is not, because I know how it feels to want a little girl so bad and not have one! We are planning on adopting one by the way. Science can’t tell me I can’t adopt a little girl.

ElisaM June 19, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I was convinced my first was a girl. Nope, boy. Then I was sure my second was a girl. Boy again. I DID cry during the ultrasound when we found out. It was really temporary sadness for the girl that never was, and I can’t imagine life without my second son. He and his brother are very close. You have permission to cry if it’s another boy. Life is sometimes temporarily disappointing, and we shouldn’t have to hide how we feel, even if it’s irrational.
P.S. We went on to have a girl and then another boy.

LadyHAHA June 19, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I have two girls and as calm and shy as the first one was, the second was the complete opposite. So I think the least of your worries is having dramababy II . Also, I both detest and think it a challenge when someone tells me how drama or hard girls are to raise. Because you know, all serial killers of the past have been women (oh lookee there, my sarcasm cup overfloweth) – in the end, boys .. .girls.. no matter what’s between their legs, they can either be great people or horrible people, or god forbid, boring people – gender only goes so far. You’re a down girly girl who can hang with the girls AND the guys too and if you do have a girl, that’s exactly how she’s going to be. (I’ve come to this logical conclusion with about as much scientific research as you did determining that the sex of your baby is for sure a girl. As in, I don’t know, I’m just winging’ this parenting shit as I go along science.. it’s really hard for us to find financial backing for our research though so results vary…)

HeatherRose June 19, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I discuss this with fiance all the time. I’ve only very-recently come around to the idea that maybe, just maybe, I will allow my body to be occupied and disfigured for the sake of having a mini-spawn in a couple years. But it absolutely, positively, without a doubt MUST be a girl. I already have her name picked out. And design ideas for her nursery (in the house we haven’t found yet). And she has little blond curls and holy-god-not-fiance’s-nose because it looks good on him, but poor girl… anyway. So yeah, sending girl-vibes your way because little tiny designer girl clothes are SO much cuter than boy clothes.

Kate June 19, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I use to believe that people really could predict boy or girl based on what the baby belly looked like. I was super convinced that it was as legit as science because I was having a girl and looked one way and every other preggo in my preggo yoga class was having a boy, and they all looked different. BUT THEN – I have friends who are identical twins. They are the same in just about every. single. way. They were even both preg at the same time, due a month apart. I thought, applying what I saw in preggo yoga class, that one was having a girl (she looked like me) and the other a boy (she looked not like me). But, low and behold, BOTH HAD GIRLS. And their girls are just about identical too. Myth. Busted. Big time. So tell your neighbor to go feel someone else’s bump for a creepy long time. There’s hope for a girl yet.

Christina June 19, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I carried all over, was larger than a house and my face still looks smashed. I can’t find my son’s vagina though. Must be behind his penis. I’ll keep looking

Katie June 19, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Yay for honesty! I’ve been in your shoes, and was disappointed, but had months to get over it before the little guy arrived and you know what? He’s awesome. And I figure that’s why we get the ultrasound and find out the sex way ahead of time–so we can adjust and BE HAPPY. So good luck, I truly hope your gut is right but if not you will survive and you WILL love that baby and life will be good.

Can’t wait to hear the news!

Laura June 19, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Just to give you hope…
You don’t necessarily get big all over with girls….that is another crazy myth!

I’m pulling for vagina:)

Lauren June 19, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I carried low and “out front” and didn’t gain much weight… And had a girl! And she’s not nice. She’s smart and beautiful and fabulous and amazing and OPINIONATED. But not nice. :)

Shelley June 19, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I hope it’s a girl too. I feel like it is :) But, I will be so happy for you if it’s a boy too. We found out ours was a girl on Valentine’s Day last year (she’ll be 1 next week!), and my husband was really hoping for a boy. He was a little disappointed that day (not gonna lie!), but you should see him with his little girl! It’s like he didn’t know before that she was all he ever wanted. And now he thinks he might be done, and not even want to try for a boy next (but, I’m not done!)

Leah June 19, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I was 110% I was having a girl. When the U/S tech said he saw boy parts, I told him to shut the fuck up. Real talk. Then I said I’d turn my boy child gay. And not that I have any proof, but I do have the sweetest 5 yr old boy who has no issues going with his mama to get pedi’s. So maybe that’s all I wanted. Forget girl-drama, I just wanted a tiny friend. I’m sure whichever you turn out to have it’ll be perfect for you and your family. Girl parts or not.

Heather June 19, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I was so sure that I was having a boy that I was LITERALLY stunned when they said it was a girl. I was confused and kept saying, “But I already imagined dancing with my gay son in my twilight years.”

LadyHAHA June 19, 2012 at 2:31 pm

“dancing with my gay son in my twilight years.” haaaa!!! <3 it.

Ronni June 19, 2012 at 1:04 pm

The hub and I were pretty certain when I was pregnant that it would be our only child. All my mommy fantasies for….forever….had been me and my little girl. I was certain I had a vag in there. You know, other than my own. Then the ultrasound tech pointed to the tiny penis. I was relieved it was a healthy little guy in there, but a bit heartbroken for the daughter that wasn’t in there after all. But I tell you…science and god and whoever else you believe in knows what’s up, because as I sit here 2 weeks from his first birthday, I cannot imagine life any other way, and now the idea of a daughter seems totally foreign. Be disappointed. But know it will all turn out exactly how your family needs it to.

Maggie June 19, 2012 at 1:07 pm

don’t worry, I have two girls and was all belly! no fat anywhere else :) they did give me spider veins which I will throw in their faces forever whenever they want anything from me. also I had total death sickness for almost 17 weeks with both of them. since you were also sicky all the time, I totes believe that Yoshi is a girl! can’t wait to hear for sure :)

Laura C June 19, 2012 at 1:07 pm

It’s a girl, dude. True story: I didn’t look for reals preg until I was 32 weeks, and I had a girl girl girl. I’d say diet and body type have waaaay more to do with your bump’s look.

Another true story: my BFF turns to me last week and goes, “I couldn’t handle waiting until birth to find out the sex, because I know I’d be disappointed if they handed me a boy in the delivery room. I need time to process that disappointment.” Sooo…even if you are sad, you can get your sads over with and be happy when they hand you a healthy Yoshi.

mamamcplaza June 19, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Trust your gut…I was having a girl and I was convinced it was a boy until Bruno Mars and Katy Perry told me through the radio on my way home that it was a girl. It was the lamest and most certain answer. The only thing, I thought with EVERYTHING in me that I wanted a boy. I cried. I freaked out remembering what I was like from age 10 through…well, now. And now my little girl is the most awesomest thing ever! I enjoy the girly stuff. I enjoy the so not girly stuff that makes me proud that she’s fighting the system.
Either way, you’ll be fine, and if any readers deny having a preference they LIE!

Melissa June 19, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I almost did cry when my first was a boy, cause um duh, I could only produce girls, yeah wrong. It’s funny how boy wasn’t even in my radar until the night before our u/s I went walking and saw like 10 little boys all over the freakin place, that’s when I knew what was coming. I like to think I was given a blatant warning so I didn’t actually cry, but I did ask her to confirm it 3 times. Hoping its a girl for you guys, can’t wait to hear.

Jenna June 19, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I hear ya, Modg! When I was pregnant, I wanted a girl and my mother-in-law told me, “Oh, you’re definitely having a boy.” It made me so mad. I wanted a girl even more after that, just to prove her wrong. And I DID have a girl! So there!

I totally want my next child to be a boy. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with preferring one over the other. If your next is a boy, you’ll have a meltdown at first, then get over it. And by the time he arrives, you’ll love him every bit as much as you would have loved a girl. But hey! Let’s hope for a girl this time! :)

I laughed about your conversation with your husband over names. I had such a hard time getting serious name suggestions out of my husband. Every time we tried to talk about it, he just kept making jokes. So annoying!! Maybe I’ll try your approach next time…. “Does this look like a joke?!?!?!”

Laura June 19, 2012 at 1:12 pm

You are awesome. I can’t begin to tell you how much I love this post (oh wait I guess I’m trying..). I’m 8 months pregnant with our first, a girl. Cause like you I really wanted a girl. I KNOW girls. Except like you described the whole sit down and talk about nicey nice with them. Things like that make me laugh which makes my big ol’ pregnant belly shake cause I would totally do the same thing. From day one I just knew it was a girl. I KNEW it. At least I hoped my gut wasn’t leading me astray cause that would kinda suck to not be able to trust yourself, you know? Sending you happy girl baby vibes!

Rach June 19, 2012 at 1:12 pm

“And I just want to buy dresses and brush hair, and paint nails, and have tea parties and dress up like princesses…” I say, do that anyway. Hell, get G a baby manicure for the practice. He’ll dig it!

But yeah: I totally feel ya. One side of my family is all girls… there are six granddaughters… two of whom now have three babies between ‘em… three GIRL babies.

So my ambivalence over totin’ around a bump for the better part of a year and smooshing it out through a teeny tiny space is compounded by the OMG WHAT IF IT IS A BOY factor?!

Plus J’s family is the opposite… primarily boys… and I cannot let him win things. Ever.

This post has been like group therapy. Thanks, ladies!!

lillie June 19, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Don’t worry, my brothers girlfriend is currently preg and they both just KNEW it was a boy. Come time, they find out its a girl and my brother wouldn’t talk to anyone for a few days after that. I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone so disappointed. You are not alone!

Good luck, sending girl vibes your way!

april June 19, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I really do hope you get your girl, because I totally know how you feel! Of course everyone wants a healthy baby and there isn’t anything wrong with wanting what you want. I just found out I was preggos like 5 days ago and I am secretly wishing for a girl :) Although I really would love a brother for my son, I think having a girl would be awesome. And all that crap about how you carry and if you get fat all over is just ridiculous. Women have all types of pregnancies and each one is different. But if you know in your heart it’s a girl, you are probably right. And if it’s a boy, just think about how he’ll be as wonderful as G :)

Brooke June 19, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Boy… do I know know those feelings! My lil baby boy is almost 8 months old and I can’t even remember life before he made us a party of 4, but I cried a little when we found out we would be expecting our 2nd boy. This baby is pure love and you won’t hear any complaints from these lips. Our big guy is 3 and those two birds are already BFFs and will always be, they light each other up and they get all the same jokes. Its already them vs. us. A part of me still longs for the hair brushing and nail polishing a little girl brings into your world. So in 3 years when I even consider going for 3, I’m getting a little girl puppy and I will paint her toes and buy her pink ribbon collars!

Nicole June 19, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I’m carrying EXACTLY the same with my GIRL
as I did with my boy. I have a basketball tummy. I had a gut feeling I was having a girl this time, but I did psyche myself up for my son to have a a little bro just incase. I’m looking forward to having a feminist princess! I’m sure you’re having a girl!

Stacy June 19, 2012 at 1:19 pm

First, my friend is carrying exactly the same with her second (insert at 24 weeks a little freakishly does not even look pregnant) and her first was a girl and a boy this time.

I basically “faked” my ultra sound Sex and The City style when they said it’s a girl. I thought it was a boy. My mother and mother in law where there too…..everyone sounded super excited and all I could say was, oh. It was my birthday. The ob told me I gained 10 pounds and needed to lay off the pastries. I felt like they forgot my last visit was 7 weeks prior and not the normal four. Then I got in the car and cried all the way back to work.

Last week one twin was all legs crossed and nothing to do with gender identification so four week wait for me. Even though my prior experience almost made me not find out at all this time. You could have them seal it in a card and just rip into it when you get in the car?

Elissa June 19, 2012 at 1:20 pm

It’s okay to want one or the other…everyone has a preference, whether they say it or not. I wanted a boy first, and I got him. So of course next I want a girl. I really want a girl. That doesn’t mean another boy would be any less loved or wanted. No one thinks that when you say it, and if they do, eff them and their lyin judgmental selves! I know someone who all her life wanted a little girl–she cried when she had her first and it was a boy. 5 boys later, she’s done and totally okay with it. I hope you are having a girl, and if not, you are right to think of how awesome it will be watching G bond with his little brother!

jp June 19, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Girl moms who say they didn’t get fat all over are in complete denial.
All you b’s got fat faces. Sorries, but you did. And it’s fine! You were knocked up. We can’t all have basketball bellies. Some of us are just a little more Jessica Simpson. You were still pretty, but your face swelled up. Your friends didn’t tell you because it would have made you sad.
Here’s to hoping for fat Modg face and a contract with Jenny Craig to help out with it!

Igor June 19, 2012 at 1:22 pm

My wife is due almost same time as you are, and we feel 100% the same when people ask, only we want a boy… so come to our hospital around “due” time and we will trade if you are having a boy, and we get a girl… no one will ever know! :) lol

VTWD-40 June 19, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I was all belly with my little girl. And…I KNEW it was a girl, even though my preference would have been boy at the time. I feel girl for you.

Chelsea June 19, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Well the good news is, you know you can count on having an extremely good lookin’ baby because uh…
G is to die for! This picture is great! I’m sure he will be an awesome big brother no matter what.
But I am sending baby girl vibes your way just to be sure :)

babyrocks June 19, 2012 at 1:29 pm

what does the chinese lunar calendar say? it’s supposedly over 95% accurate!… (was for my boy [one month behind G] and GIRL [one month ahead of yoshi]!…. and so far all my friends and family have tried it and i havent met anyone who’s been wrong against it. it’s pretty much just nutso science i think, but fun. so, right up your alley! ;)

ps – i’ll beat you to the punch in case you happen to visit my blog and see our announcement video… i pretty much copied it from yours. my creative pieces in my head are currently mush along with a lot of the rest of it, so at 1 AM, it was the easiest way to go. be flattered.

MODG June 19, 2012 at 2:02 pm

The chinese say yosh is a girl and they said G was a boy

amanda ryan June 19, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I was totally going to say the gender predictor thing too… those Chinese know their shit. It was correct for both my kids. AND the gut feeling counts for something too.

SHE is going to be beautiful MODG!

Shannon June 19, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Not to be a downer but according to this chart I should have had a girl and based on the penis my child has I have to say it was wrong for me.

Shana June 19, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Same goes for me — with my first, the chart pegged it as a girl. The ultrasound (and then the birth, of course) said nay! I was a bit disappointed at the ultrasound. Not TERRIBLY, but there was that small part of me that really, really wanted a girl, and I figured it would be since I wasn’t carrying cute AT ALL. I think my ass grew more than my belly throughout the entire pregnancy. Luckily that feeling passed before boychild arrived, heh.This time around the chart also says girl… so we’ll see. If it’s as accurate as people say, there’s a good chance that it might be right this time around!

MODG June 19, 2012 at 2:25 pm

wow this is exactly our video.

Megan June 21, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Holy shit, it really is! Here I was feeling stalkerish and tracking them both down, but not so much any more!

LadyHAHA June 19, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I’ve done the Chinese calendar thing too and it has been dead on with both girls. I agree with Amanda – the Chinese do indeed know their shit. So there you go, the mighty Chinese are on your side!

Kate June 20, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Also don’t want to be a downer but it said my Oliver was an Olivia. I was so sure!

Jesica June 19, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I just have to throw this out there because apparently no one else will. The reason some of us say “as long as it’s healthy” is because we’ve lost babies and the part of us that used to have thoughts like you’ve written in this post died right alongside our unborn babes. I used to care A LOT about having girls, wanted only girls and probably would have been disappointed with a boy if pregnancy had come easily. Unfortunately life had other plans for me and after a year of infertility and a miscarriage I can wholeheartedly say I don’t care what this baby I’m carrying is. Boy or girl will not squeeze out even a drop of disappointment because it was so hard to get here. I’m not poo pooing your desire for a girl, like I said, I used to be there, but I just wanted to say it’s not always a lame ass excuse to say “as long as it’s healthy” because after you lose one, or more, that really is all your hoping for.

Andrea June 19, 2012 at 1:33 pm

So sorry for your loss and struggles.

MODG June 19, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I feel like I need to say this again.

I am also sorry for your loss. But of COURSE that is our priority.

H June 19, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I don’t think Jesica was accusing you of NOT prioritizing health. I think she was just defending the reason some other people DO give that answer. Miscarriage is quite common (one in four), but a lot of women don’t talk about it. So someone may give you that answer because they’ve been silently suffering, and all they can do is beg/plead/pray that they get to keep this one.

Being pregnant again after a loss is the worst mindfuck in the world, because it’s hard to get excited and enjoy it. Deep down you’re waiting for the other shoe to drop, and are afraid of falling so deeply in love with something to just have it snatched away from you again.

At least, that’s what I think Jesica was getting at. J, I’m sorry for your loss. I’ve been there too.

Jesica June 19, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Thank you H, YES that is exactly what I’m saying. I believe everyone’s number one priority is to have a healthy baby, but I CANNOT in good conscious say that I prefer one sex over the other or feel disappointment with whatever we get and thus saying “as long as it’s healthy” really is the only answer to give when someone asks you if you prefer one over the other. It’s not always a lame answer, sometimes it’s the most honest one.

Morgan June 19, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I am literally going through a miscarriage as we speak. This post was awesome, truthful and funny!
Wish for your girl. Heavens knows if I am lucky enough to become pregnant again and carry a pregancy through I will be wishing like hell for my little boy, because “healthy” is a given.

DR June 24, 2012 at 10:54 pm

This is going to sound insensitive, but she stressed to the nth degree that of course, a healthy baby is obvious. It’s sarcasm. You’re projecting your own stuff onto her and while I know you’ve had a rough time, please stop doing that.

Andrea June 19, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Everyone (including myself) thought I was having a boy. I was soooo convinced that I told the ultrasound tech to shut up when she said, GIRL. I was seriously so surprised because I felt it was a boy up until that point, and was secretly hoping for one. And I agree, the whole, “I just hope for a healthy baby blah blah blah”, is so annoying. It’s like people expect you to say it or else your not in some secret club.

Jenn June 19, 2012 at 1:31 pm

My gyno said part of how you carry is based on where/when in the “science” of things baby attached/implanted. (But he could’ve been blowing smoke up my ass too – he told me he wasn’t going to be on vacation when I delivered kid #2. Good thing kid #2 came 1.5 weeks early ’cause he left for Mexico the next morning!)

Kid #1 made me wide, fat and big all over. Kid #2 was a beach ball. They’re both girls.

My hope for you: beach ball w/girl parts! ;)

Trbobitch June 19, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I, too, was hoping for a girl. Hoping with all hope to add a little girl whose finger nails I could paint to my existing 2 boys so their dad would stop bitching at me when they had blue or green fingernails. I, too, did not even consider boy’s names. We got the us in April and the tech finally said “well, I’m really going to be mad at mama if she keeps calling me she!!” and pointed to what was, apparently, boy bits on the screen (I still can’t make out the stuff on those ultrasounds). Man, was I ever disappointed. Yes, I admit that I wanted to cry. Not because I am a selfish pig, but because this is my last baby and dammit, I had already bought the cutest pink plaid airwalks for her!!! Anyway, I got over it eventually and am of course happy to be having another little boy, but I can totally relate, so don’t feel guilty if you are disappointed if it’s a boy (and I really do hope you get your girl!).

Kris June 19, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I hear you loud and clear. I’m pregnant too and wanted a little girl so badly, I DID cry when I found out this is a boy. Again. Hope you have better luck!

Jen June 19, 2012 at 1:39 pm

All the old wives tales about predicting gender are just that. Worthless crap that can be fun and kill some time waiting for the big ultrasound, but crap just the same. Yes, of course there is a chance Yoshi can be a boy. You will probably feel disappointed, but will get over it and love your new little boy and love seeing your boys together. However, I am a big believer in trusting your gut. With all three of my kids I was SURE before the stick even turned blue what I was having. I tried to keep an open mind because I didn’t want to get stuck on one gender so much that I was disappointed if it was the other, but I couldn’t even bring myself to even think of boy or girl names – I just knew it wasn’t necessary. Did you have a feeling G was a boy? Do you have that same feeling about Yoshi being a girl? If so, my money is on girl.

Shannon June 19, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I don’t believe in any of those old wives tales since all of them said I was having a girl and all of them were wrong! But I love my little boy with all my heart. With that said, I’ve already told my husband that I don’t care who he needs to talk to ‘down there’ but the next one better be a girl. Hope you get your mini MODG!

kristen June 19, 2012 at 1:43 pm

So glad nobody has given you crap about this post so far. When we are ready for #2, I know I will feel exactly the same way. Although I do say that a second boy would at least be an excuse to have 3 kids, b/c my husband only wants 2 and I’ve always seen myself with 3, maybe because I’m one of 3 and can’t imagine myself without both of my siblings. Speaking of which, do you have any siblings? I feel like you’ve never mentioned any on here, just B’s brother(s).

Anywho, can’t wait to hear what Yoshi is, and I know you’ll love her/him hardcore no matter what! :)

MV June 19, 2012 at 1:44 pm

You know, unhealthy babies are pretty awesome too. Just sayin’.

MODG June 19, 2012 at 2:05 pm

touche. you are totally right.

linka72 June 19, 2012 at 1:45 pm

All I have to say is YAY YOU for actually finding out what lil Yoshi will be..it secretly irks the shit out of me when people want it to “be a suuuurrrrprise”..oh,shut the fuck up, surprises suck…that is all

Ann June 19, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I so agree! There are enough surprises in childbirth!

Shana June 19, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Haha, it makes me scratch my head in confusion. I think it’s a surprise either way — one is just sooner! :D

kristen June 19, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Also, have you had any dreams about Yoshi’s sex? Because every single person I know who had a dream about the baby being either a boy or a girl was right. Including me. Before our 20-week ultrasound, I dreamed the baby was a boy and he was.

Christine June 19, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I had a girl and carried it all in the front and low. I know about all the old wives tales…but your body is going to carry the baby depending on how it is set up (short torso, long torso), has nothing to do with it being a girl or a boy. Sending girl vibes your way!!!

Allissa June 19, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Im a birth doula, I’ve worked with a lot of pregnant mamas, you’re totally having a girl. I have a theory. Girls make you really sick (which I knew you were), and you crave sweets. Boys, if you get
sick, it’s not as intense and it’s later than with a girl, and you crave healthier foods and sour things. Take it for what it is, you’re having a girl!

Ann June 19, 2012 at 1:52 pm

TOTALLY!!! I forgot to leave that in my comment – girls TOTALLY make you sicker!!! I lost 18 pounds my first 16 weeks – girl.

Skooks June 19, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Interesting theory. I got sick with my first and craved sweets (soft serve ice cream . . . as much as possible) and tacos. I had a girl. With my second I didn’t have any sickness (or taco cravings . . . probably because I overdid it with #1), but I still craved sweets. I had a boy. With my third I didn’t have any sickness (but I was ok with tacos here and there . . . lol), still craved sweets like it was the first time. I had another girl.

My theory is, I constantly crave sweets, tacos are hit or miss, and neither have anything to do with what you’re having! ;)

Shana June 19, 2012 at 3:54 pm

With my first, I was face first in the toilet because I was so sick (yet my appetite never diminished), and I craved sweets like nobody’s business. I could have been Augustus Gloop, haha. Strangely enough, baby was a boy.
This time around, though I feel gross, I haven’t had any meals coming up for an encore presentation, and I crave both sweet and salty, healthy and terrible — just whatever sounds good that day (or minute). I get to find out in August what I’m having. :D

Vanessa June 19, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Oh I have to disagree here :) I puked everyday of my pregnancy and he’s all boy.

This whole post is exactly my thoughts on the subject…im also hoping when we decide on another baby it will be a girl because im not sure I can go for three babies

Vanessa June 19, 2012 at 5:39 pm

also I was CONVINCED I was having a girl. Until the US tech said boy.

Lindsay June 19, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I was all belly when I was preggo with my little girl! Looked like I swallowed a basketball, and also felt like I straight up poo’d that mug out during birth…but it was just a fat ol’ baby! No shame in my game, I wanted a girl so bad, and even told myself it was a boy so when they said “those 3 words” during the u/s I wouldn’t be upset! Fingers crossed, toes crossed, and saying my prayers that you poop out a DramaPrincess!

Ann June 19, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I KNEW I was having a girl too – and I was right – and I would have cried hysterically and asked for 50 second opinions if they had said it was a B-word. If you know, then you know.

Kristin June 19, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I was so sure I was having a boy. Nope…girl all the way.

BUT….I did not get the “having-a-girl-and-now-I-have-fat-face.” I actually gained very little and it was all in the belly.

Hope you get your healthy baby GIRL!

Carly June 19, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I’m totally with you on wanting a specific gender having nothing to do with the health of the baby. I thought this video was hilarious when I was pregnant…especially the lines about wanting a certain gender!

By the way, if it is another boy, just think you’ll always be the queen of the castle:) I’d love a house full of boys!!

Katie June 19, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I hope it’s a girl. I also hope she cooperates next week. It took my girl 4 ultrasounds and several weeks to show us her goods. Torture.

Mari Bury June 19, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I had 2 girls and a boy and all 3 of my bellies looked exactly the same, I carried very small (and somehow all kids were around 10lbs at. Birth!) and high bellies so don’t believe your neighbor, believe what your mom instinct is telling you and of course what the hippie said!

Becky June 19, 2012 at 2:02 pm

“How you carry” is total BS. I had a girl and was all belly and all out in front. Most of my friends who were preg with boys gained 40 – 60 lbs and were big everywhere. Go with your gut.

Kristen Waby June 19, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I had a girl and was all belly, I didn’t gain weight anywhere else…except the boobs and face of course ;) p.s. little girls rock so I really do hope you get your wish.

Janet June 19, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Thanks for being honest–you’re awesome, as always. I didn’t get fat and my baby was a girl. I don’t think the whole “the way you’re carrying” thing has ANYTHING to do with the baby’s gender. I had a couple people tell me I was carrying a boy when I already KNEW she was a girl. I’m sending sparkly girl vibes your way…

Annalisa June 19, 2012 at 2:05 pm

We’re expecting Baby #2 and we’re keeping it a surprise like we did the first time. However, I JUST had the thought the other day that my new baby could also be a boy (we have a girl now). I had to sort of accept that as I just assumed we were having another girl. It was sort of a sad and scary thought.

Anyway, I wanted to say that husbands are awful with name choices. I think my husband would do better naming an animal than a child. When it comes to vetoing the names I really like, he’s super awesome at that. Thankfully I have +/- 20 weeks to find something to name this baby. Good luck!

GGV June 19, 2012 at 2:13 pm

When I was preg we decided not to find out the gender (stupid). I was sick as a dog for the first 16 weeks, had amazing skin, greasy hair, skinny arms and a basketball belly up in my ribs. From the front I was 9 months pregnant, but from the back I still had a waistline. I craved salty chips and washed them down with the sweetest juice I could find. I had dreams of the same baby boy every single night, but according to gender myths you dream of the opposite sex of your baby. My Chinese gender chart said girl, my gut said boy and the general public was filled with mixed reviews. I was literally a salad of myths. On the day of my kid’s birth, it was so traumatic, high risk and dangerous for the both of us that when the baby was born doctors whisked “it” away before revealing that the little body invader was in fact a girl. Go figure. Moral to the story, screw gender myths, screw theories and always listen to the Chinese. They know their shit.

Alex @ Before The Baby Wakes June 19, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I felt the same way. I felt like I just knew that this baby I’m carrying now was a girl. All I had was girl names all I could see was girl name. It was what it was. I was carrying a tiny vagina.

Until the tech said “Nope its a boy” and honestly my heart kind of sank for a moment. I already had a boy. I don’t know what to do with boys still, but yet it was still a rodeo I had been to before. It took a good day to sink in but now we’re 9 weeks out and another little boy who I’m sure will be super obsessed with his penis will be making his debut & it what it is & I’m ok with that. Even a little excited especially when I spend time with my 3 teenage sisters & Mom & hear them have meltdowns over curly hair & headbands.

Katie@Pop Culture Cuisine June 19, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Don’t listen to your neighbor, people just like to act like they know exactly what’s a “girl” and “boy” pregnancy type and to be honest, every person carries different, gains weight different, and has different symptoms during pregnancy. I had my first baby last September, a girl, and I only gained all my weight right out in front, never got swollen ankles, never fat in the face, and could wear my rings the whole time, so just keep telling yourself it’s a girl until you know for sure different :)!

Megan Hebel June 19, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Just saying, but I had a girl and I only carried in the belly. I didn’t gain weight anywhere else. EVERYONE said boy to me, but she was definitely all girl in there! ;) (but don’t listen to what others say because I believed them and then almost didn’t believe the ultrasound lady when she was like “GIRL!” so…lol. Believe the doctors haha ;))

KMW June 19, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I didn’t get “fat all over” and I had a girl – so there is hope. Other than a basketball under my shirt (oh and the obvious preggo boobs) I looked totally normal. Everyone told me I was having a boy too and voila – we had a bun, not a hot dog.

Abby June 19, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I had a girl and the ONLY thing that got big on me was my belly. I gained 28 lbs but was back to pre-preggers weight and into all my regular clothes by 2 weeks after birth and actually weigh less now than I did pre-pregnancy. So, how you gain weight and where you carry aren’t necessarily accurate. I hate it when people make guesses off of that…they have NO idea!

Miranda June 19, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Dude, I had a girl. I was ALL belly. My face didn’t look like I ate my weight in Oreos until a month before I had her. Tell that neighb of yours to shut her fucking face.

Katie E. June 19, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I guarantee it will be a baby. A baby shaped baby.

C June 20, 2012 at 5:10 pm

HAHAHA, this cracked me up. Ten points for Katie.

Anna June 23, 2012 at 9:48 am

Funny you should say that, I was in a lot of denial about my pregnancy and becoming a mother. My first thought (honest to god) was “oh, it’s a baby – not a kitten” when I first saw my daughter. Somewhere along the line I’d decided I was having a kitten rather than a baby. Gas will do that for you.

MODG, I cried for two weeks when the the grumpy biatch didn’t confirm the sex of my baby. I NEEDED to know what sex of baby I was having and would have been devastated if it had been a boy. I don’t know why it was so important to me, it just was. First world problem I guess!

Shauntel June 19, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I’ve had two girls (and zero boys). And I’ve had two beach ball pregnancies, low and in the front and not pregnant anywhere else. Except my ankles week 35 on the first pregnancy. They also each contained a beach ball right about then.

I totally understand the unabashed wanting a girl business. Totally hear you. I don’t even find out what I’m having because I’m too nervous to hear that it’s a boy at 20 weeks.

But you know you’ll love whatever comes out. Man parts or vag parts. All the same cute, squishy, ball of new baby-smelling goodness. :)

kpa June 19, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I knew in my gut that my #2 was a girl… Had to return the pink curtains I’d bought and was really disappointed. Now he is the perfect fit for our family, and so different from his big brother!

sheri June 19, 2012 at 2:40 pm

When I got pg I KNEW it was a girl, and it was! this was back in the 80′s when lots of people elected to not know the sex, which is what we did but I went ahead and named her, bought pink etc…and yes I was fat all over. 4 years later I had a boy, I KNEW it was a boy and once again elected to not find out because I knew and didn’t need them to tell me so…so hang in there, if you feel you’re having a girl you just might be right

Christa June 19, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Oh hey MODG,

Just to offer a bit of encouragement as you endure the next week – I am 34 weeks preg with a girl and I am carrying EXACTLY as I did with my first, which was a boy. Just like you, I carried numero un tight and low, had a breezy pregnancy and only gained weight in my belly. This little lady has been exactly the same, with the exception that the first trimester came at a price – I was sick most of a lot of the time, and it sucked donkey balls.

And as for the names, at least B hasn’t decided you will be naming your girl as unattractively as possible to ensure she is not approached by the opposite sex…so far the name suggestions I have been relegated to deciding between are Madge, Bertha and Brunhilda. And apparently he is also determined to train her as a competitive eater to, once again, make sure any milkshakes she has aren’t the kind that bring boys to the yard.

Good luck with the waiting, and the naming dear MODG!
Christa

Kristin June 19, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I have a little boy about G’s age. With the next one, I am honestly thinking I will wait until the baby is born to know the gender.. because I know I will be extremely disappointed if it is a boy again. So.. I figure.. if I wait until its born I will just be so excited, relieved, full of love, etc, etc.. the disappointment wont be as potent. Who knows.

I read somewhere that it is OK to grieve the child you never had.. even if it is simply because you had all of one gender and not the other. No.. its obviously not the same as losing a child. But.. its a loss none the same. And it is OK to grieve. You move on. You love the life you are given. And you OBVIOUSLY love your children to pieces and could never imagine a world without them. But you still grieve for what could have been. It is OK.

Jamie June 19, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I understand….sorta! I had two boys and when I was pregnant with my third child I was determined to NEVER have a girl. I am not at all girly…I don’t understand girls….I loved having boys and three boys would have been the awesome! Except I went to my ultra sound and they said, “Well we can’t tell gender because it’s legs are crossed.” I was all, “No that’s not possible, my boys pose for these photos spread eagle, they are shameless.” and she responded with, “Well this one isn’t like that we will try again in a couple weeks.” So we tried ultra sounds pretty much monthly until I was like forever pregnant (around 8 months), but I knew after that first ultrasound and had cried. I carried the baby different (all over fats! yuck), the crossed leg photos, bleh it was a dang girl! My daughter is 7 now and of course I adore her, even though she is way girly and loves makeup and dress-up and shoes and drama and all those things I do not understand. She is aware that I never wanted a girl (she likes to ask for stories about when I was pregnant and see her ultrasound pictures) and it makes her a bit full of herself to think that she was capable of changing my mind about the whole having a daughter thing. I love my kids no matter what and in the end am happy with what I got, but that doesn’t change what you want in the beginning. Good luck on having a daughter!

Jenni June 19, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I had a girl….gained 21 pounds…ALL BELLY! Don’t beleive the haters.

chass June 19, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Sending tons of girl ju-ju your way!!!

I was so convinced I was having a boy (I think I convinced myself because I wanted one so bad when hubby already had 2 girls) and it took everything in me not to cry when they said she was a girl and showed me the vag. Now I wouldn’t change her for anything lol. But here,s to hoping I have a boy… in 3 yrs… if & when we try again!!!

Cat June 19, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I felt the same way! I almost cried when I found out #2 was another boy. And I really really cried when I found out #3 was a girl. And my first (boy) was a super-drama-baby but my girl is, by nature of being the third baby in 3 years, really really laid back and easy. Which was all supposed to be encouraging, but I might have failed. Anyway, thinking of you!

amy June 19, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I say be careful what you wish for :)

jodes June 19, 2012 at 3:16 pm
Erin June 19, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Don’t worry about what your neighbor said. I had a boy and a girl and carried the same with both of them. Also, I always heard you look uglier when carrying a girl because “she steals your beauty” or some shit. But I definitely think I looked uglier and fatter when pregnant with my son. Also, I did not get very sick when pregnant with the boy, but I was very sick (not as much as you) with the girl so…CHEERS!

PS I cried when I found out my first was a boy and I felt like a huge asshole, but I don’t anymore because I love him more than anything in the world :)

Rebecca June 19, 2012 at 3:35 pm

TOTALLY get it, I’d be thinking the same thing in your situation. Sending all my girly vibes your way!

CA June 19, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Thank you for being honest about shit like this. Great post. I hope you get your girl. I have an almost 3-year-old daughter and it is awesome. Due with #2 September 5. We’ll see who he/she is…

Allison June 19, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I won’t pretend to know what you’re having, but I do hope it’s a girl! I have a 20 mo old boy, and he is the sweetest and so fun, but I don’t know that we’ll have another and it’s sad to think that a daughter won’t be in my future. Even if we did have another I’m sure it would be a boy. So anyway, I know how you feel and either way it will be totally fine.

Izzy June 19, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Even with your preface that health is most important, this is a dumb and ignorant post. I hate how some women think the point of a 20 week anatomy scan is too find out the gender. It’s to check for abnormalities. As someone whose baby was diagnosed with a fatal defect at my anatomy scan, I can honestly say all I want is a healthy baby. It’s not trite, or a cop out.

Shana June 19, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I’m sorry about what you’ve had to go through.

I will say, however, that it doesn’t mention in this post that that is the point of the 20 week scan, but it IS a perk that may accompany one.
Also, it’s a blog written by someone about her thoughts, and we sometimes have these sorts of thoughts as humans.
Yes, there was the mention of “lame-ass answer,” but for some people with no history of things going awry, that can be a lame-ass answer. For those who do, it’s perfectly understandable. It’s a matter of your opinions and life experiences that make for whether or not something is an honest reply. I don’t think the goal of this post was to offend, but to give *her* views on *her* pregnancy, not the pregnancy and expectations of anyone else. :/

MODG June 19, 2012 at 8:18 pm

When did I ever say the “point” of the scan was to find out the gender? We had a preliminary high risk scan to check for abnormalities and also blood work to go with it and all was healthy. We again are hoping that this scan is healthy as well. I will say this again…all ANYONE wants is a healthy baby. But I really don’t think saying you’re hoping for a girl or a boy has anything to do with health. It’s like saying to someone “do you want a girl or a boy” and saying “oh well I just hope they have red hair”. It isn’t the answer to the question.

erinisabel June 19, 2012 at 3:46 pm

The night before my ultrasound I called my mom sobbing because I was afraid I would find out that my baby was a boy. I wanted a girl so badly, and I felt like it was a girl. I had six dreams, SIX, telling me that my baby was a girl, so it had to be true right? Well, my baby was a boy and at the ultrasound where I thought’d I’d be sad and disappointed, I wasn’t. I was unexpectedly elated, and now he’s the greatest 15 month old ever in the world. I totally get your what you’re feeling, and I’ll cross my fingers for you!

Mindy June 19, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Fingers crossed that Yoshi is a girl!

megan u. June 19, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Pfffft neighbor lady is crazy!! No one can tell just by looking at you >:-/ I didnt get fat all over, just a basketball under my shirt and i had a girl!! Good pink sparkly vibes headed you way!

katelyn June 19, 2012 at 4:10 pm

i don’t even have kids {i’m old-school modg} and i still am dead set on what kind i want in the future. so, i can only imagine how you feel. i totally also support deleting this blog if yosh is a boy. my mom always joke how my dad never did get that son he wanted and it’s pretty awkward thanksgiving convo for my sister and i :)

fingers crossed for you!

Erica June 19, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I have a son who is 19 months old… I gained 65 pounds during his pregnancy. I was huge!!! I am now 31 weeks along with my second pregnancy. So far I’ve gained 20 pounds. And guess what? It’s a GIRL!!!! So don’t listen to anyone about how you should be/are carrying this one. And I did cry when I found out my son was a boy… I also had never considered the possibility. And I would have probably cried even more if I was having another boy. It doesn’t make you a bad person to want a daughter to share in your life. Keeping my fingers crossed for a healthy baby GIRL for you:)

Margo June 19, 2012 at 4:18 pm

EEEEEE!!!!!! I am so excited for you. We have two girls in their teens, and a one-year-old boy. I had no shame in telling my mother in law, and my fiance, that if this new baby was a girl – we would be promptly farming her out to relatives at the age of twelve, and we would see her after her eighteenth birthday. Well, we are having another boy – sweet relief!

I do know how special it is to have that little girl though, and I wish that for you – regardless you are going to fall in love all over again with that little life inside you, once you find out the gender. :-)

Sara June 19, 2012 at 4:27 pm

My family is all chicks, my husband comes from a sea of a million dudes. He was the third boy in a row for his parents. After him, they bought an asian bc his mom was not putting that shit in fate’s hands anymore.

So, we’ve got the same deal. Four is our max number for kids. Although I’m already thinking maybe three, and the first one isn’t even cooked yet. But if I end up popping out all dudes, I’m buying a girl baby. Fate can lick my balls.

Ashley C June 19, 2012 at 4:28 pm

We have boys the same age and I’m pregnant with baby #2 who happens to be a girl. I am carrying them both the exact same way…I have a month to go and I doubt I’ll get fat all over. I knew I was having a girl before going to the ultrasound but the day before I had that panic that we were having a boy and I started to prepare myself to hear that word too! I’m sending pink and purple hippie princess thoughts your way!

Kristy June 19, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I’m 30 weeks prego and we are waiting to find out the gender…but I did kinda like the name Adam. Kidding, I dated an Adam in HS so it’s out the door for sure! Just play it cool sista whether you have a boy or a girl.

Jill June 19, 2012 at 5:01 pm

My son is 2 1/2…. I carried “all over” with him. Probably more due to my obsession with cheese and ice cream than the sex of the baby. I’m due any second with a GIRL and have gained half of what I gained with my son – probably due to the fact that I was sick this time around and because I’m too busy chasing after my monster tot to eat much of anything. But everywhere I go, people are like “oh, I can tell you are having a girl” and I’m thinking no you can’t. And besides, i thought girl pregnancies were supposed to be “all over” too?? Point is, NO ONE can tell because every pregnancy is different. And, I too, wanted a girl desperately. I even threatened my husband with NOT finding out because I would have cried in the US room is she said boy. So I’m super hoping you get to hear the same awesome words “it’s a girl”. And PS, thank you for the yummy treats from bad kitty bakery. I had to freeze them so I wouldn’t cram them all in my face.

Erin June 19, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I thought my first baby was a girl, but didn’t have a preference. I was SHOCKED when we were told he was a boy. And then I was mad because mother’s are supposed to have that instinct where they just KNOW things like that and evidently my mama transmitter was broken.

I’m 18 weeks (and some days) pregnant now with baby #2 and I’ve said ever since I saw the positive line show up on the pregnancy test that this is another boy. I just KNEW. I told my dr that yes, we did want to find out the sex, but it didn’t really matter because I already know it’s going to be another boy. We found out yesterday that we are indeed having another boy! I think last time it was just too soon for my mama superpowers to have kicked in and maybe you just have to have a kid first before it functions at 100%. Or maybe I did. Either way, you could be on to something! :)

Sara June 19, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I carried high and all up front with my daughter. I didn’t gain anywhere else….so ignore the girl hater :) Good luck!!! I have to say girls are so much fun, and way cuter to dress up.

Kelly @ Turned Up To Eleven {formerly D2BD} June 19, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I have a dear friend that never wants to have children. She said if she did have one she’d have to have a way to make sure that it was a girl. She can’t handle boys. They don’t wear cute shoes (mary janes) or dresses and she just can’t handle that. I think if it came down to it her son would be a cross dresser by day one it would be that serious.

In other news Sergeant Math made me laugh my ass off.

In all seriousness – it will be a shock if they don’t say girl, but I know you will rock it out regardless of the sex. I will send my “girl” vibes your way !!!!

amandarunz June 19, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I’m happy there is someone else out there who is just going to say it. Who doesn’t want a healthy baby? I mean really. COME ON. I was SO scared I was going to have a girl with my own Gavin, that I convinced myself and my husband it was a girl. I don’t think I’ve ever smiled so big when they said “boy”. And the second one? I just knew. “healthy baby, blah blah blah. As long as it has a penis. And it will.”

And in my experience, second babies are total opposites of first babies. My second baby was just like G. And I wanted to drown myself in the bathtub. My first was THE BEST, calmest, quietest, easiest to entertain baby EVER.

But here’s to you and your quest to even the vagina playing field in your house!

brittany June 19, 2012 at 6:17 pm

oooh i love this whole thing a lot. i felt like i was having a girl before we found out but i was so terrified of being wrong i didn’t want to admit it to people. but i should’ve because whenever people asked what i wanted or thought it was i felt so awk! because i wanted a girl. and i was right, she’s totally a girl. but the other day this iranian woman asked me if i was having a boy and it kind of freaked me out. i thought maybe iranian women knew secret things that i don’t know. but! i’m not fat all over so maybe that’s why she said that! anyway, i think the mama’s gut is usually right :)

Clarissa Ramirez June 19, 2012 at 6:28 pm

The name Yoshi SCREAMS girl…..just like Plankton was truly a boy….I KNEW without a single doubt that my last one was a boy…everyone was agreeing that he was…I already had his name, then one douche of a woman said “Oh, you are totally having a girl” if my eyes could shoot poison darts she would have died on the spot….I had a boy thankyouverymuch….don’t doubt your gut instinct….I am throwing GIRL POWER your way!!!!

colleen June 19, 2012 at 6:37 pm

if we’re gonna get sciencey, then what your neighbor said was horseshit. case and point: jessica simpson.

KB June 19, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Jennifer Jenkins June 19, 2012 at 6:50 pm

I won’t lie when the tech told me I was having a boy she eventually said “aren’t you excited” and I had to be all like “well give me a minute would ya?” and now five years later and having a sister follow two years later the boy ROCKS. He is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more laid back and fun than his sister…since we are being honest here. A boy tugs at a mama’s heart like I don’t know what.

Can’t wait to see what you are having!

Jess June 19, 2012 at 8:56 pm

This post made me cry, it resonated with me so much. This is a hard thing to talk about because I feel people can be very judgy wudgy about it. I already have one amazing daughter, and we decided after this pregnancy we’re (probably) done having kids. I was recently told I’m having *another* girl. I smiled at the ultrasound tech, smiled at my husband, then bawled my eyes out to my midwife. And cried every day for a few days after that. I’m still in a weird space and feel SO GUILTY. I have this healthy awesome baby who is going to kick the world’s ass and my initial reaction was disappointment. It’s all good, though. I’m going to love her so much and my daughter will have a sister. And G would be lucky to have a brother, just as B does.
Besides, there’s always number 3 :)

Kate June 19, 2012 at 9:26 pm

“So here’s the thing. I’m going to tell you all and we’re going to be happy no matter what. And I’ll also tell you this: If it is a boy, this post will be deleted by the time Yosh can internet. So like 3 months. I will never ever want my child to think that he wasn’t wanted. He or she will be a perfect fit for us because science says so.”

This made me cry. I’m looking forward to reading just how your family will change-but one thing will stay the same-you’ll be the best mom

Ashley L. June 19, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I had a girl and I wasn’t fat all over. To be fair though I didn’t carry as low as I did with my son.

If you are an asshole and cry at the ultrasound results, you’re not alone. I imagined our daughter would be a boy and had a name picked out and plans for our boys to share a room and coordinating bedding and dreams of having two sons when we got the news that our boy was a girl. We love our daughter and wouldn’t trade her for the world but I think that gender disappointment is normal.

KB June 19, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Poor Bethenny, she was not a pretty pregnant girl. Ouch.

HottMamma June 19, 2012 at 10:54 pm

What? No inteligender this round?? Use them Amazon skillz.
On the edge of my seat,
MamaBear

Christy June 19, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I had two girls, 18 months apart, totally different with each. All babies are different, boy or girl. I was just like you, with my first daughter (now two years old) i knew in my soul she was a girl (just like you, now) so much it didn’t even cross my mind that she could be a boy until the day i went for the ultrasound (then i went through a weird feeling that if it was a boy, that my body and mind somehow betrayed me)(and for some reason i have some kind of weird freakish feeling about the thought of a penis growing inside me), the second one (now 10 months old) i had no clue or no feelings about what the sex would be (but, still scared of growing penis’ lol). I think sometimes you just know!

Katie June 19, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Oh two years ago I was CONVINCED I was having a boy. We already had a girl and I was just so convinced it was a boy, my husband wanted a boy, etc. Well during the ultrasound the tech said “it’s a girl!” and I burst out into tears. The ugly cry. I was crying because I was sad it wasn’t a boy, but then I was crying because I was happy my first born would have a sister, etc. I was a hot mess. The tech just looked at me like I was nuts while I blew snot into my tissues. It happens.

Courtney June 20, 2012 at 12:22 am

I hope you have a girl. Girls kill me, they’re so fun. I have a 10 mo. old girl and I know I should want a boy for baby #2, but not gonna lie; I’d love another girl! About the whole how you’re carrying thing — everyone carries differently. I got so annoyed when people tried to predict what I was having based on that. I have heard that girls take their mamas beauty away during pregnancy and aint that the truth! I broke out like a mofo — bacne, chestne included. YUCK. And my nose totally spread like J.LO’s in pregnancy. Is your nose getting big? Are you getting uglier? If so, this is great news!!

Wendy June 20, 2012 at 1:08 am

Whatever. Everybody and their mother and their cousin told me I was having a boy. Even the hippies. Our baby has girl parts all the way. Every woman carries differently. It has as much and way more to do with your shape as the baby sex parts.

Katie June 20, 2012 at 1:20 am

At my daughter’s 20 week ultrasound they told me she definitely a boy, I still have the “penis ultrasound” picture. I was measuring big so I had another ultrasound at 26 weeks and they told me she was definitely a girl. Both ultrasounds were done by the same technician with the same equipment, and both times my daughter was cooperating… I brought a girl outfit and a boy outfit to the hospital (but I had the nursery decked out in girl stuff ;))

Kelly June 20, 2012 at 6:15 am

My first is a boy. My second pregnancy was totally different, so I thought for sure a girl. Took our son (then 4) to the ultrasound and HE had a crying meltdown tantrum when they said “it’s a boy” because he wanted to have a sister so bad and we just knew it would be a girl. Then my third pregnancy was different than the first two, and I couldn’t get enough Britney Spears, so I thought “this time it MUST be a girl”. Nope, another boy. And not so secretly, I was very happy to hear “it’s a boy” with #3. I already know bikes and snowboards and superheroes and race cars and stuff, I don’t know (and now never have to know) barbies and Disney princesses and stuff.

Jessica June 20, 2012 at 8:22 am

the way you carry has nothing to do with anything. everybody is different and every pregnancy is different. everyone told me i was having a boy too because i have gained only like, 7 pounds and i am 31 weeks. but i knew it was a girl. i told everyone. i even started thinking of the baby as “she” and “her” and i secretly already named her. then i went to the doctor and they said, GIRL! and i was like, see? i knew it! the momma knows. it doesn’t matter what other people say or think. the baby is growing inside you and you are the only one with a connection right now. so if anyone should know, it’s you. it’s easy to doubt and freak out about, but just hold on a few more days and then you’ll know for sure!

Marjorie June 20, 2012 at 8:57 am

I’ve carried super low and out front with all three of my pregnancies and the middle one was a girl. I was totally convinced this one was too, right up until we saw the tiny penis on the screen.

And if it makes you feel any better, I cried a little when I found out that my first was a boy.

If Yoshi doesn’t have a vag, you can borrow my daughter any time. She’s a total drama queen bitch princess, so you’ll get along just fine. :)

mommylisa June 20, 2012 at 9:33 am

Me and my SIL totally thought I was having a boy, because I didn’t get fat all over – but I WAS craving ice cream and cake like a fat girl – and I totally had a girl. My hubby thinks that is the way to tell. What you eat. Is it sweet? Girl. Salty? Boy.

mommylisa June 20, 2012 at 9:37 am

Oh and if you think YOU are crazy in this post – remember I don’t tell ANYONE my daughters name on the internets so they don’t steal it. I even wrote a post about being on the radio and not telling them my daughter’s name. So there!

Darcy June 20, 2012 at 10:06 am

Here’s the thing. You may have a girl. And she may reject all makeup and glitter and dresses. She may want to play sports all day or read books all day or whatever. Just having a girl doesn’t mean you will also get the experience you want. Just like with G, where you thought being a mother would be a certain kind of way, but he has been completely different from your expectations all along. I mean this in a nice way, but it may make like a lot easier to stop expecting everything to conform to how you think it should be, and instead just enjoy what happens naturally. Having a preference for a boy or girl is one thing, but putting that girl in a box where she is expected to behave a certain way is what’s really hard on a kid. So for me, this post was hard to read not because you want a girl, but because you want that girl to be exactly a certain type of person you can have a certain type of experience with; the idea that people have a specific archetype they need to fit into so that you enjoy the experience.

DR June 24, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Man, I could never take the preachy nature of these comments. It makes it so hard to read this blog which was intended to be fun and light-hearted. I wish you people would just chill out!

Katie June 20, 2012 at 10:11 am

Dude, I have a very important question. Is your neighbor Asian? When I was preggs, several, like 7 or so, random people on the street, at the store, at the park, etc., all said, “you’re definitely having a boy.” The thing is that all these random people were elderly Asian women. And they were all correct. I have been meaning to ask my Asian friends if this is something Asian mothers teach their daughters; I picture them reviewing photos of bellies and field study out at the grocery store, checking out random preggo women out shopping. I hope your neighbor is not Asian. And I hope you find out you’re having a healthy little sister for G! :)

Tracy June 20, 2012 at 10:55 am

MODG — if it makes you feel any better, I’ve got a boy and a girl. When I was pregnant with my boy, I looked like someone had pumped me full of whipped cream and cottage cheese. Even my eyelids gained weight. Seriously, gross. Not the pretty, glowing pregnancy image in your head when you imagine yourself pregnant for the first time. With my girl, I didn’t gain much weight, carried her only in my belly, and looked much closer to that cute, pregnant girl image I had in my head. Anywho, my kids are just about two years apart and they are each other’s best friend. So whatever you find out, it will be okay. Good luck and girl vibes to you!

Shan June 20, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I think you might be taking it all a little too seriously.

She says…

“And I just want to buy dresses and brush hair, and paint nails, and have tea parties and dress up like princesses and totally be princess feminists who recycle and have careers with my little girl.”

I am pretty sure she’s kidding. Turn on your humor detector cyborg.

Sabrina June 20, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I really, really, REALLY wanted my son to have my husband’s blue eyes and not my caca colored eyes. I let everyone know and said I would be disappointed if he didn’t have blue eyes.

Guess what? His eyes are caca colored! I was disappointed but thankfully I got over it and just hope another one of our babies will have blue eyes one day. And luckily he is gorgeous as are his black eyes.

Sabrina June 20, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Anyway, good luck next week and I hope you get your girl!

Shan June 20, 2012 at 12:29 pm

You are a great mom.

And I LOVE how you are actually answering the question about wanting to have a daughter. There is nothing wrong with saying you want a daughter it doesn’t mean that you will reject a son. I hope all goes well at your ultrasound– meaning (1) baby is perfect (duh), (2) baby shows it’s stuff (3) baby is a girl.

Julialifeisart June 20, 2012 at 1:05 pm

My husband wants to name our next baby “Sergeant Math” now. Thanks for that.

Jenny G. June 20, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I’m not gonna lie, it still makes me feel kinda queasy when people say they’re really hoping for one sex over the other. I was one of those people that would KILL for one or the other either way, if only I could just please have a baby, any baby. The scars of infertility don’t really heal, even after you have one.

BUT

I appreciate your honesty, also. Because the people that say they don’t really have a preference are probably lying. And I definitely was hoping for a girl when I found out I was pregnant, I just didn’t say it out loud. =)

Also, I DID have a girl, and I totally was all belly and carried very low. So don’t worry, there could definitely be a she in there. I look forward to hearing what it is!

Ariadna June 20, 2012 at 1:35 pm

OMG. This post couldn’t have come at a better time. We too find out the sex next tuesday and even though obviously we’re hoping for a healthy baby, we have a preference. I’m so superstitious that I can’t say it, or type it. I haven’t done any of the fun gender prediction tests for fear of jinxing it. Somedays I feel as if I “know” what I’m having and other days I just THINK I know because I want that specific gender. I’m crazy, I know. I keep looking at nursery ideas and I keep coming back to one gender over the other. My husband already told me to stop showing him pictures because he doesn’t want to be disappointed. I think it’s perfectly ok if you do, I know we probably will if we don’t get what we want. I just keep reminding myself that no matter what, we are meant to have what we get, whether it’s a boy or girl you and every mom out there is meant to have what they get. Healthy or otherwise. I wanted to post a question on a baby board about if given the choice would they (for example) pick a healthy baby of the opposite sex that they wanted or an unhealthy one with the chosen sex? It might be too over the top but I keep reminding myself that on the grand scheme of things a healthy baby is the most important. That isn’t to say that you shouldn’t want one over the other, it’s perfectly natural and I sincerely thank you for your honesty. I’ll check back next week and see if either one of us is crying of disappointment. Baby girl thoughts are being sent your way!

Sam June 20, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I cried when I found out my first child was a boy (and there is definitely some residual guilt!) … don’t worry, they’ll just think you’re super happy.

Camille June 20, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Hey, there’s nothing wrong with hoping for a girl. I’m sure if it’s a boy, you’ll get excited about having another boy. The kid is not going to care if you wished it to be another gender… Mostly likely they’ll think it’s a funny story later on! Besides, I cry at ultrasounds because I hate doctors, I have white-coat phobia… They chalk it up to happiness LOL.

Erin June 20, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Amanda. I so totally feel you. I had a girl first and wanted another girl for our second. I wanted sisters. Friends. Soul mates. All the stuff I never had as an only. I told everyone I wanted another girl an DID NOT want a boy. Well it was a boy. And I cried and I cried and I cried. I cried so much and so long I had to move out of the ultrasound room to another room to calm down. The whole time my daughter and husband were lookin at me like I lost my mind. But it worked out. I love my little dude and he and his sissy are already buddies.

SvitaR June 20, 2012 at 8:16 pm

With my first, my gut told me it was a girl. I was 100% sure that I almost went out and bought girl stuff if it wasn’t for my rational husband. Turned out I was having a boy ( He’s a month younger then your baby.) With this one, my gut told me 100% its a boy, and it turned out it was a girl. I’m due next month. So don’t listen to your gut. Honestly, a boy would be great for your son since they would grow up together and be bffs.

Brittney June 20, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Your ultrasound is VERY girly… the nub is definitely pointed down… you should ask the experts over at in-gender.com because they are very accurate at reading gender on those super early ultrasounds. My daughter’s nub looked just like your image so I think you’ll be an extreme-o happy lady next week! Good luck :)

Stacey June 20, 2012 at 10:10 pm

here’s to hoping you see a hamburger and not a hot dog!

Britt June 21, 2012 at 7:17 am

My whole life I always knew I was going to have a girl. And I did. I think you just know.

But anyway, to entertain us during the next week, will you do the cabbage pee test? Also test B and G’s pee to see if they are pregnant and what sex. Thanks.

Alison June 21, 2012 at 10:33 am

Yes do that!
Also, have a camera ready when you ask B for his pee that look should be perfect.

Chante June 21, 2012 at 11:14 am

I was 100% sure my daughter was a boy. EVERYONE told me boy. I never once hears anyone say they thought I was having a girl. Unless you looked right at my belly, you couldn’t tell i was pregnant. Some lady down the street from my midwives told me i was having a boy and told me that it would be the first time she was ever wrong if I had a girl. When we went to the ultrasound and they said “girl” me, my husband and sister went silent and no one said anything, I felt like crying (because I was convinced it was a boy). It was super awkward, and the ultrasound tech looked really confused. Then I got over it nd realized a girl would be awesome too, but I’ll let you know how awesome it feels when she’s 13.

Susie June 21, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Don’t worry, if it’s another boy, you can just keep popping them out. That’s how i do.

Kiera June 21, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I am right there with you. Exactly in the same spot. I had an OB appointment last night, and the doc did his HB doppler thing, and I say, “THERE SHE IS!!!” and he laughed at me. He thinks I’m trying to will this child to be a girl.

Will I lay down and die if it’s a boy? No, my son with have a brother and it will be awesome. But the mommy inside me is begging for a little girl to do fun girly things with too!!

I feel your pain. I have about 7 weeks to think about it still…

Ty June 21, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I hope with everything in me that you are having a girl! I have 2 boys (one bio and one stepson) and I was praying with everything in me for a girl! I just KNEW it was a girl. I was calling it a she from day one! When we had that ultrasound and the tech said “It’s a boy” I just about died I tell ya. Died. Lol. You would have thought I was a kid that was just told Santa Claus isn’t real. That was a week ago. I’m cool with it. Am I over it? NO! I lost my shit in Target when I tried to go shopping for the little guy. Why in the world is everything pink!?! None of the boys clothes were cute enough for me. I left empty handed. I’ve decided I’m done with science. It doesn’t like me. We’ll adopt in a few years :) Good luck!!!

Veralynn @ Joie de V June 22, 2012 at 12:23 am

Target has *nothing* for baby boys! My favorites are Carter’s, Pearls and Popcorn, and the Gap. Every single time I’ve attempted to buy something from Target is a big fat fail. OH! And if you ever shop at Ross or TJ Maxx they tend to have lots of cute Carter’s things for less than even the Carter’s outlet. Good luck!

Terresa June 21, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I totally cried at both my ultrasounds when I was told I was having a boy. I freely admit it even in the presence of said boys who are now 17 and 7 years old. They still know that I love them to pieces and wouldn’t trade them for anything in the world – even a cute little blond haired blue eyed girl that I can have tea parties and fingernail painting parties with. Do not feel bad if Yoshi is in fact a boy and you do in fact cry. Just because you don’t get what you want doesn’t mean you don’t want what you have.

Veralynn @ Joie de V June 21, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it’s a lady baby! Either way, Yoshi is lucky to have you. And you are totally allowed to have one meltdown if the ultrasound doesn’t show any girl bits.

Meghann June 21, 2012 at 9:35 pm

When I ask my mama friends who have managed to get knocked up with girls, how they did it – they all tell me that telling everyone you really want a girl and hope it’s a girl, is a good way! Sure, it’s not ‘sciencey’, but that’s all I’ve got!
I’m going to be the same way with my 2nd though! That’s one reason I don’t want to find out what I’m having.
Fingers crossed mama!

Stacy B June 21, 2012 at 11:59 pm

I carried all three of my kids the same way: round basketball belly out front and quite low. I have two girls and a boy so don’t listen to all the old wives’ tales. I never found out what we were having, I liked the element of surprise. I have to say it’s nice to have one of each so I hope your wish comes true! If it’s another boy, just have a third…

Ashley @ House on Pender June 22, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I had a girl. I had a feeling it was a girl right from the start. I didn’t get fat all over. My poor flat arse stayed FLAT! Sending pink thoughts your way!

Genevieve June 22, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Let me just say — I carried like that EXACTLY — everyone thought I was having a boy (we wanted a surprise so we didn’t find out) and I got a girl! So, crossing my fingers for you!!

Melissa June 22, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Is it just me or did G turn blond?

Julie the Wife June 22, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I SO wanted a boy, and told everyone how I’m having boys boys boys and out popped this girl, and honestly, I asked if she had a strawberry birthmark or missing any digits and then allowed myself to have one little moment of pissy sadness for the boy I didn’t have. Of course I love her. Of course it turned out great. She’s 15 now and is a total rock star. BUT. It’s okay to want one or the other, and it’s okay to be a little disappointed. You’re still a kick ass person and a great mom regardless.

Kelly June 22, 2012 at 10:22 pm

We had our ultrasound this week for our second. And I really, REALLY wanted a girl for our second–because our first was a boy, and kind of wanted a mini-me. I had a feeling going in that it was a boy. But still, when I saw the image and the tech confirmed we were having a boy, I cried. It did not help that my little man kept asking for a baby sister, the WHOLE appointment. Obviously, I’m super excited to have another healthy, wonderful little man. And I will love him to death. I actually look forward to having two boys to play together and cause more havoc than I think I can handle. But that doesn’t mean that I need to feel bad about being disappointed that I am not bringing a little girl into this world. I just wanted my little girl. Nothing wrong with that. I wasn’t the first to cry at the gender news, and I know I will not be the last. Good luck next week!

Christa June 22, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I was for sure positive that I was having another boy. I carried exactly like I did with my son, felt exactly the same way, had the same cravings. I didn’t find out the gender until I had the baby. They put said baby on my belly and I said, “oh, it’s another boy, it looks just like Peter (my little guy).” The nurse said that we should probably check that just to make sure. Much to my surprise, it was a girl!! None of those wives tales are true. Either way, you’ll be psyched in the long run. Your little one will be super cool. Don’t worry. :)

Morgan June 23, 2012 at 12:48 am

I need a long striped maxi skirt! Where did you find that blue amazingness?

lindsey b June 24, 2012 at 9:56 pm

i was crazy sick with my daughter. my body stayed the same besides the big old basketball in the front. it’s not true that girls make you fat. eating too much/not the right things makes you fat. truth. so anyways, i say girl based on being down with the sickness and that it was totally different than with G.

Kalpal June 25, 2012 at 2:11 am

I had a boy, then a girl, carried mine the same, and told ppl straight up that I was hoping for a ladybaby the second go-round. If I had to do it over again I would have my ob put the answer in a sealed envelope and then do one of those ‘reveal the sex’ surprisey parties with colored frosting inside the cake because then even if it had been a boy I’d be surrounded by love and party and cake and sympathy and not all sad and half nude in a doc’s office. Something to consider! I think the universe gives us what we need, so don’t fret no matter what, but i’m crossing my fingers for Yoshi vag!

Jen @ Bible Belt to Boulder June 26, 2012 at 12:13 pm

From day one, I was convinced my baby was a girl (which she was) and then I constantly told God I could handle anything but stupid. Now I have an exceedingly intelligent and difficult 11 year old. After various battles, my partner looks at me and says, “You did this. You just HAD to have an intelligent child.”

It will serve her well in her 20s and beyond – we just have to all make it there. :)

Amanda Tryhorn July 6, 2012 at 9:02 am

Ohhhh Maaaaa GOD! You took the words right out of my mouth. I mean this is the exact feeling I had at the beginning of my preg, except, I wanted a BOY. And guess what, it’s a girl and guess what I did for two days after my ultrasound?!?! Yup, you guessed it, bawled my freakin’ eyes out!!! Yes, yes, I want a healthy baby, but the thought of a GIRL, I just couldn’t handle that!! It WAS a boy, no doubt not even a chance in my head that it could have been a girl! Surprise, I was wrong!!!! Took me a few months, but i got over it! Still to this day (8months preggo) people tell me it’s a boy because like you, it’s all in the front! I’m telling you, if ‘she’ comes out a ‘he’ the whole hospital will be awoken!! :) In the mean time, she is healthy, all is good with me and we are very excited as this is our first child!! Now if I can just get through the labour part!!!! Yikes!!!

Jessica July 23, 2012 at 10:13 am

This post totes made me think of a video my BIL recently shared with me…enjoy!