My biggest fashion secret of 2011. 2 words: free and awesome.

311 of you voted on facebook to decide what I should wear to a baby shower today. THREE HUNDRED AND ELEVEN. People like to tell other people what to do. Fact. It’s ok because I need the help.

And after a landslide, you all decided on option B. Good choice.

So because the internet told me to, I wore option B. Option A was a little too power slut. You were right. Also, my Spanx are working overtime here.

And now I’m going to tell you my secret about these dresses. And I don’t wanna tell you. But I’m gonna tell you. Right after I never say wanna or gonna again. Slap to my own face.

My secret is where I acquired these dresses. And how I acquired them on like no money. And also why I am determined to pretend that it’s still 1956 (wardrobe style… minus racism and tv dinners).

Loyal readers may remember that when I was pregnant I had a wedding to go to and had to get a dress that fit the bump, that I’d probably never wear ever again. Well my experience with Rent the Runway was SO good that I kept using them. Over and Over and OVER. So yes, these dresses are rented and they are the best thing on earth.

In the past year, for every shower, party or anything that didn’t involve baby puke, I rented a dress. And it wasn’t really because I had to, it was because I never ever got to dress up anymore and let’s be honest, I didn’t have the money to buy new dresses. So I got just as much satisfaction from renting dresses.

For those of you not in the know, Rent the Runway is maybe the best internet invention since britney dance videos on you tube. I can’t tell you how many dresses I’ve bought for events that I wore once. Super dumb. With RTR, you pick a dress, pay usually about 50 bucks and get 2 sizes in the dress. If you want to go wild, get a 2nd option for 25 dollars more. You get the dresses for 4 days. They send you prepaid shipping envelopes to send them back. You drop it in a mailbox and you are on your way. And just like magic, everyone things you are a super fancy dress star. And the dresses are awesome. Like really nice things that I could never afford in real life.

So yes, both of these dresses showed up to my house on Saturday morning and I was just as excited as if I bought them myself. I did a mini toilet photoshoot, shared the pics with 4,000 of you on facebook and I’m ready to go. And guess what? Even the necklace is rented. I know I’m so damn lazy. I wish I could take credit for all of that. But I can’t.

See here

And now here is the 2nd part of this secret. I didn’t even pay the rental fee. *You* did. It’s ok, stop cancelling your credit cards. So many of you signed up and gave me referral credit the first time around, which allowed me to wear cute dresses this year. So thank you for that. It’s times like this when I’m happy to be a blogger. Also the WANA stuff. But also the free dress stuff.

So, if you’ve enjoyed my toilet dresses and you’ve enjoyed my honesty and you enjoy helping out internet friends, I encourage you to sign up for Rent the Runway and help me to continue to spread the word about things like cloth diapers, butt nuts and cheap dresses. B thanks you and so does our bank account.

Happy baby shower Box.

Your smartest most stylish box friend,

I LOVE RENT THE RUNWAY.

What do you think…did I make the right choice? Did you vote? Some of you voted for A. Do you like power sluts? (me too)

POSTED IN: Awesome things,Stuff I like,Stuff on a toilet,Style

Megan C February 19, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I have to say that you look much more fabulous in those dresses than the drab models… Just sayin’.
And what a fabulous idea it is… rent dresses.. I may have to look into that one!

Heather February 19, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Good choice on the dress – I like green better.

Did you stand with your feet crossed most of the day line the models? That would make the dresses look even better!

Julie February 19, 2012 at 5:22 pm

You look fantastic in BOTH dresses. You should have had a costume change half way through the shower!

Carrie {Living It Up in U.P.} February 19, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I signed up the first time around you posted about it and rented a dress for my friend’s wedding. I’m so glad you brought this to my attention – it’s such a great site!

Cosby's Gal February 19, 2012 at 6:14 pm

You made the right choice.. perfect for a baby shower. But now the question is, how do I get dozens of people to refer me on RTR for some free rentals?

Elisa February 19, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I like the one you picked, and I will sign up for the service so you can continue to wear nice dresses and post on Facebook to entertain me.

Suburban Snapshots February 19, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I love both dresses, but damn, you make that pink one look better than the PAID MODEL. That shizz is the hotness. I had the same dress debate for a baby shower I attended today, men unanimously chose one, women the other. My scientific research was done via text.

Colleen February 19, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Modg!

This post brings back memories! That original rent the runway post was the first one I ever read of yours. One of the blogs I read linked it in her Friday links section and I took a look and have been hooked on you ever since! Love the dress you ended up with. Very Mad Men! You look gorg. And tiny.

Jamie @ See You There! February 19, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Oooo I had not heard about Rent the Runway, wish I had known about this years ago! I didn’t start following you until after G was born so I missed that post. What a great idea! Will so be using that service in the future. And you look amazing in both dresses, the green one was a good choice. I voted for A, and yes I do like power sluts :)

Boomskilpaadjie February 19, 2012 at 7:54 pm

The green was definitely the right choice and oh em gee how much better do you look in both of them than the models?!

ashlie February 19, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Love this idea, but hate that I need a zip code to sign up! Canadian discrimination!!!!

Lara @ It's A Girl Thing! February 19, 2012 at 9:19 pm

That is such an awesome idea! I didn’t even know such things existed. You look sexy in both dresses, but less slutty in the one you chose. Wear the other one out with your man.

Rebecca February 19, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Modg, you look smokin! Good choice on the green one.

TheReset February 20, 2012 at 12:01 am

I picked B so good choice. Also, you look way better than those models!

Jell Jell @ I'll Sleep When They're Grown February 20, 2012 at 12:35 am

Box is preggo! That’s so fun! I was wondering what happened to her.

lauren February 20, 2012 at 8:50 am

I haven’t bought a dress in 2 years. I love Rent the Runway. The only issue is I can’t control the need to tell everyone that my dresses are rented when they ask about them. I should just act like I’m fancy and tell them the designers name, but my need to brag about bargains always wins out. People are usually judgy about it but whatever, I usually look better than them rental or not ;)

Lindsay February 20, 2012 at 9:54 am

YAY! Box is having a baby! I’m so excited for her!

Katie @ Strawbridge Stuff February 20, 2012 at 10:58 am

I can’t even describe how much I love RTR. Now I just need to find a way to get it for free – you’re a genius. I pride myself on being a power slut (um HELLO I’m a lawyer…) but I think the green one was the way to go. Hope you found an occasion to wear the pink one though…I always feel bad for the extra dress and end up wearing it somewhere random and looking inappropriately fancy (Target, the grocery store, etc).

Shannon February 20, 2012 at 11:15 am

I have 4 weddings to go to this year, so far. I WILL be using this tip. Look for more referral points in the summer. :)

Jen @ Caved In February 20, 2012 at 11:55 am

Holy crap, I love RTR! I don’t even own any fancy dresses anymore. If it can’t be machine washed and does NOT need to be ironed, I won’t buy it. I thank my toddler for that. Awesome dress!

Alyze February 20, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I love Power Sluts. Aunt Becky totally wore the Power Slut pants in that relationship and we all know Aunt Becky does no wrong. Actually I should probably start wearing a power suit at work (my house) to remind my staff (husband, baby, pug) who is boss.

Also frantically scrambling to rent the runway to look at expensive dresses I am banned from buying so I can look better than somebody really annoying at a wedding. Is there anything you don’t know stuff about??

Ruth February 20, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I woulda voted for the power slut dress because you looked way hotter in it than the website model and that is always a win in my book. Who cares how powerfully slutty you are when you look hotter than a model???
But option B was good too.

NikkiV February 20, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Loved both dresses! Glad you chose B though, once you said your spanx were killing you it made my choice easy. You should be able to look hot without feeling like you are being strangled. Hope the shower was fun. And Yay for free dresses!

Zabet February 20, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Do you know if there is a similar service for Canada. According to their FAQ, they don’t ship here.

Hannah February 21, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I think this one is a Canadian version: http://rentfrockrepeat.com/

leslie February 21, 2012 at 1:43 pm

well, I’m more of a pick-up-something-cute-from-gap-a-few-years-back-for-5-dollars-at-goodwill kinda girl myself. you look absolutely fabulous though. :)

Kelly February 21, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Love both dresses. Power slut is a term I plan to borrow and use frequently! Best line I have heard in a while!

Tamara February 22, 2012 at 9:19 am

After seeing you in the pink dress, regardless of your Spanx status, I will have to cyber bitch slap you the next time you complain about your weight because, damn Mrs. Sexetary.

Kristin February 22, 2012 at 1:26 pm

How the heck are ya! I caught you on Pinterest and realized it had been forever. You look amazing btw!

Butzy February 23, 2012 at 9:47 am

can’t remember how long I’ve been lurking, could be I linked over from younghouselove a while back… ( research indicates that “lurkers make up over 90% of online groups”– looked that junk up) also can’t remember if I’ve ever commented before- but it’s about time to profess my love for modg and sparkles and cereal marshmallows. Just finished the archives( all of them I think, crazy town) and now feel like i can freely comment and not look like I’m new here- but it’s kind of like cramming for a test when you speed read these posts years later, I hope I don’t just forget everything in a few days- major sads if that happened. I hope this isn’t like the new girl walking up to the cool kids table, laughing at all the inside jokes and pretending to get everything. that would be heartbreaking. So now, my love has been declared. Fb and pinterest following so I can be a part of all the fun. Oh and I was all about dress B…like it matters now.

Unapologetically Mundane February 23, 2012 at 11:17 am

One of the models on the front page of that site is from “America’s Next Top Model”. I don’t know why i feel the need to share that I know that, as if I’m not embarrassed that I know it, but I do.

Jenny February 24, 2012 at 12:40 am

I just have to tell you…my 9 year old son was just peeking over my shoulder while I was reading your blog. I asked him which dress you should have worn to this BABY SHOWER…he said the purple one, because the other one might be too short if you had to run and someone might see your panties! I have no words LOL

Sara JR February 24, 2012 at 8:11 am

Is it just me or is this service kind of expensive? I don’t mind if things aren’t designer. I own lots of coach purses (knock-offs of course) and shops at Kohls and Maurices. I can usually find a pretty awesome dress for under $50 and I will wear it more than once and pass it to a friend or family member. I did see that some of the dresses are pretty awesome! but too expensive to me to rent or buy! I’m Wisconsin cheap. Plus I would never look as awesome as MODG does in them!

Hannah February 24, 2012 at 11:20 am

I really want to wear a silver sparkly dress to work for the 4 days I have it. I’m a nurse……. I think the patients would approve! Thanks for the awesome idea! I will be using this service in the very near future (maybe for something more appropriate and fun than work!)