Biting the hand that feeds you < biting the nipple that feeds you.

While we were all busy saving the world and being good people and shit, my life turned upside down. Now many of you were like OH YOU GOT A TV SHOW. Or OH YOU ARE GOING TO BE ON THE NEWS. or OH YOU FOUND A LOT OF GOLD THINGS AND REALLY ARE RICH.

See, despite my fancy internety ways, I’m really just a regular mom. I clean stuff. I cook things. I feed the baby. And I watch dvr. That’s my life. So when I say that my life is turned upside down, it’s more like, oops the dvr fell off of the shelf and less, taadaa you’re super famous now.

So cue G’s actual first birthday (December 8th). After the party we really did nothing to make note of the day itself. Apparently that was not ok with G and he showed his gratitude by biting my nipples. WITH TOP AND BOTTOM TEETH. At every, single, feeding. It was literally like he forgot how to nurse. Now I’ll be honest, this happened once before. But he was raging mad angry and didn’t realize what he was doing. He drew blood. We don’t talk about that.

But the fear lives inside my boobs. And the fear is real. Once you’ve been bit, you don’t forget.

So my now 1 year old boy would slowly approach the nipple and like in slow motion show his fangs and start to clamp down.

NO DO NOT BITE MOMMY. THAT HURTS. (and then we do the sign for hurts…like he has any idea…)

So we’d try again. ANOTHER BITE. NO I SAID NO BITING GAVIN. And then he loses it and screams and cries. Like how dare I not let him bite my nipples. And so he went to bed without nursing. And then I cried about it.

Next morning, Good morning G! I bet you’re thirsty, time to nurse. ****CHOMP*** Really? REALLY? We’re still doing this? More crying. No nursing.

Now I’m really freaking out. And here is why…Yes I wanted to wean at 1 year so I could take my medication and just be a better mom.  However nursing is a very special bond between me and G. I’ve done it at least 3 times a day for 365 days and early on it was like 10 times a day. I don’t even always pee 3 times a day every day. And it makes him happy and I know it’s good for him. And now I was faced with a choice.

I could push this. I could research ways to get him to stop biting. I could consider it a nursing strike and wait it out and try again. I could pump to keep my supply up so when he is ready, I’ll be there. I could deal with the biting and hope that he stops.

Or, I could wean.

For 24 full hours, I cried. Because I thought that I wanted to wean, but I felt like a terrible mother for not pushing through a big nursing problem. But here was the kicker: He could have given 2 shits. He wasn’t asking for boobs. He was sleeping well. And he was happy as a dairy free clam. It was ME that was a mess.

And I realized, this situation is so much better than if it were reversed. I wouldn’t want him to be like an addict coming off of a binge, begging for more. I’d so much rather him not care and move on. This was an opportunity and I needed to take it.

B did not understand.

Me: B do you think I’m doing the right thing?

B: Um, I guess.

Me: NO YOU NEED TO SAY YES YOU ARE DEFINITELY DOING THE RIGHT THING.

B: I do?

Me: YES! I AM TORMENTED INSIDE AND I DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO

B: Well I sort of thought the weaning process would just take a little longer

Me: SO YOU’RE SAYING I’M A SELFISH AWFUL MOTHER?

B: No.

Me: SOBSOBSOBSOB YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND.

And he really didn’t understand. But this is probably the first decision that I have made so far as a mother that benefited me directly and G indirectly. So G won’t be necessarily benefiting from abrupt weaning, but he will benefit from having a better, more sane mother with a happy vagina.

I want to say that this decision was not taken lightly. Long time readers know that I have been through thrush, elimination diets, then resulting in no dairy, soy or wheat for 6 full months. I later found out that I was dehydrated. And we made it through. And we still breastfed. It was the most important thing in the world to me, but now I have to put my health first.

So 1 week  has gone by and we are no longer breastfeeders. G hasn’t even given my boobs a second glance. It’s like flat chested 7th grade Amanda again with all the boys staring at the other boobs. But I’m cool with it and so is G.

I’m slowly pumping less and less to adjust to not feeding a baby anymore. I’m pumping once every 2 days now. And you know what? I’m happy. Because I can leave G with B and go to the mall. And stay there. And then I can go to my friend Box’s house and stay there. And I don’t have to stare at my watch waiting for it to be 2 and nurse G to sleep. For the first time, OTHER PEOPLE CAN DO STUFF. It’s liberating.

I would not change a single second of how I nursed G. Well, maybe I’d be sure that kid took a bottle at some point in his life. But besides that, I’m super happy and proud to have nursed him for 365 days exactly. It was a really tough road but totally worth it. And at his high school graduation, I’ll be sure that all of his friends know that he is so awesome because he breastfed. G will love it.

My baby is growing up. And now I can relax a bit. Except not about eating. BECAUSE I BETTER NOT GET FAT NOW.

And as we changed the world with WANA, my own little mom world changed and I now have a little independent man running around who don’t need no stupid boob.

IT’S TIME TO BRA SHOP.

Milkless MODG

__________________________________________________________

this boob update was brought to you by the fine folks at Shakeology. I have a giant bag of the chocolate shake on STANDBY for when the breastfeeding skinnies go away (like now). Also Pete (my dad) will be doing a Shakeology review for us. I can already tell you though, it’s awesome. They gave me this whole calendar with recipes for every day of the month to make different things with the shake. Um, can we say chocolate banana peanut butter? I HEART IT. I will be so skinny you won’t see me. CROSSIES.

POSTED IN: B,babies,breastfeeding

hannah December 13, 2011 at 3:22 pm

oh modg. i have a 3 year old and a 7 month old (who is also a drama baby like your g.) i realized not long ago that only moms really understand the guilt that comes with every.single.freaking stage in your child’s life. as great as dads are…(and they are fabulous), there is nothing like mom guilt. at.every.turn.

on the flip side…you sure look pretty in that black and white photo.

ps. please don’t get so skinny you fall through your own b.hole.

MODG December 13, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I’m trying to picture falling through your own b.hole. Sounds hard.

Kelsey December 13, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Well damn. I feel like the only one left in the world who is still stuck breastfeeding my 16 month old. Not only does she get in my face and pull down my shirt and scream BOOBIE in public, but I couldn’t stop if my life depended on it. She doesn’t need the boob but she sure as hell won’t forget about it and when I say no, she throws a huge boobie tantrum. Sigh. Well good luck with the not getting fat thing. I still supplement my weekly work outs with “Well i nursed a lot today, so that counts as going to the gym, right?”

Lisa December 13, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Nah, my 16-month-old is the same way. Doesn’t say “boobie” but will fling himself at my chest and cry, or lift up my shirt and freak out when there’s a bra in the way. Sigh.

melissa December 13, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Yikes, I don’t think I’d want to breastfeed that bully. I, of course, have no kiddies yet, so I don’t understand. :)

kate December 13, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Haha, ditto! :)

Cat December 13, 2011 at 3:55 pm

You’re not. Mine’s bfing every 15 minutes this week it seems like. She signs milk, though. I’ve tried sooo hard not to say “boob” to her. I try to pretend I don’t know why she is pulling down my shirt so she eventually gets frustrated and signs milk. She is signing more and more.

Sara | Stinkerpants December 13, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Ditto. She doesn’t throw tantrums or pull at my shirt, but she asks for milk by signing it and DEFINITELY wouldn’t forget about it if I tried to wean her.

Brandi March 12, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I’m “trying” to wean my 14 month old. I’m going on a big girls trip to see Wilco in two months. I tried to not give him the boob Sat. and he threw the biggest tantrum ever! Even sleeping beauty, aka Dad, got up to see what the problem was. Any tips are appreciated.

Ashley December 13, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Congratulations on breastfeeding for so long! My goal is to make it to a year and its nice to read up on someone who has gone through real life trial and error. Hope your boobies didn’t suffer too much damage from the bites. I can’t even imagine what that felt like!
P.S–the picture of your family is beautiful! And happy belated birthday G!

Cheryl December 13, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Agreed! Congrats. You did it. And you’re totally okay for being sad. I think many women go through that. I cried a lot when my Kiddo was finally weaned. Enjoy the bra shopping!

Alison December 13, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Chocolate banana peanut butter shakeology? The bomb-diggity. Whenever I feel all sassy and try a new recipe, I feel guilty like I cheated on my partner.

katy December 13, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Not long after my lil boy got his two bottom teeth, he would do this thing where he’d pull off the boob, look me in the eye, and without breaking eye contact slowly bite down on my nipple. When I’d flinch, he’d look surprised, then do it again exactly the same. Third strike and he was out for that feeding. He’d only do it sometimes, and it seems to have stopped, but right now he’s got what looks like 4-6 upper teeth coming in AT THE SAME TIME. Methinks the little nibbler’s boob days are numbered.

Desiree December 13, 2011 at 7:11 pm

My little girl would do the same thing! Thankfully she hasn’t in a month or more but for a while there it was NOT fun. Good luck with the 4-6 upper teeth. Little lady is getting 2 upper teeth right now.

Miss Andi December 13, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Me, too!!! It’s really infuriating…and painful.

Melissa O. December 13, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Ok, I’m sorry about your torment and all but I’m super jealous. My 18 month old is going to need to breastfeed straight through to college because he can not live without “boobie” for more than a few hours. He is codependent on the boob and I have no idea how I will wean him without him freaking out and shooting up a preschool. I am so ready for this to be over and I totally understand that guilt feeling because even when I think I can be tough and just refuse him I get all depressed about it looking at his sad little face because it is selfish of me. So onward I will breastfeed until the day he decides he has had enough or he gets teased from his cool high school friends who frown upon super extended breastfeeding.

Domesticated Gal December 13, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I’m hoarding VS gift cards for that magical day when my boobs are all mine again….

Jenni December 13, 2011 at 3:32 pm

This happened to us at 7.5 months and I was freaking OUT crying like a crazy person because we (I) were not ready to wean yet. She was teething and bit me all day and I just knew we were done. I had to put her to sleep without nursing and she freaked out and finally fell asleep. The next day she quit biting and has only done it a few times which I don’t think were intentional
I’m so thankful because I knew that it wasnt time. Hopefully when it is it will end like your scenario and not the opposite where my heart breaks even more.

Lindsay December 13, 2011 at 3:33 pm

My baby boy will be a year old on Christmas and weaning is nowhere in sight (thank the booby milk gods because I am NOT looking forward to weaning). But even so, each time I read this poem I BAWL LIKE AN EFFING DRAMABABY.

Wean Me Gently
by Cathy Cardall

I know I look so big to you,
Maybe I seem too big for the needs I have.
But no matter how big we get,
We still have needs that are important to us.
I know that our relationship is growing and changing,
But I still need you. I need your warmth and closeness,
Especially at the end of the day
When we snuggle up in bed.
Please don’t get too busy for us to nurse.
I know you think I can be patient,
Or find something to take the place of a nursing;
A book, a glass of something,
But nothing can take your place when I need you.
Sometimes just cuddling with you,
Having you near me is enough.
I guess I am growing and becoming independent,
But please be there.
This bond we have is so strong and so important to me,
Please don’t break it abruptly.
Wean me gently,
Because I am your mother,
And my heart is tender.

MODG December 13, 2011 at 3:36 pm

um, yeah. I just died completely inside and outside.

Elisa December 13, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I loooove that poem! Always makes me cry too.

Shannon December 13, 2011 at 4:21 pm

bwahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! crying in cubicle.

Krista December 13, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Crying into my lunch.

Jenni December 13, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I’m laying in my bed nursing my sleeping baby and crying. Augh. That got me.

Cathy C-Dub December 13, 2011 at 4:52 pm

super duper sad face! I want to bf for a year and my family is doubtful we’ll last that long….

Lindsay December 13, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Make small goals, and you can make it to a year! I started with 6 weeks, then 3 months, then 6 months, then 9 months, and now we’ll be at a year on Christmas.

Sara | Stinkerpants December 13, 2011 at 6:50 pm

WAAAAHHHHH!!!!

Miss Andi December 13, 2011 at 10:13 pm

First WANA, now The Poem. I need to remember tissues when I read the blog now. :) So sweet.

Tamara December 14, 2011 at 9:46 am

I was unable to nurse my twins for very long at all. So, yeah, thanks for making me want to hang myself with a crib sheet.
Damn.

Lindsay December 14, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Well now I think I should hang myself with a crib sheet. Totally didn’t mean to depress you.

Jill December 13, 2011 at 3:33 pm

It is good to know mom can get through this. I have a 26 month old who is the nursing addict you didn’t want G to become. And his whole life, I never said no to nursing. Until now…. I am really ready to be done. I am almost 12 weeks preggo and my nipples feel like he is nursing on cut glass. And I want to be able to go to the mall and stay there. I made it through yesterday and today saying no to any of the “non-important” nursings (aka anything other than morning, nap & bedtime). He is fine, a little feisty at times…. but I have to be a way more excited about Legos, trucks, blocks, coloring, play doh mom now in order to distract him from the boobs. That is hard. Because sometimes I want to snuggle up with him and do important stuff for myself, like Pinterest or catching up on my DVR, or playing words with friends…. And they say nursing is unselfish.

Congrats to you on making it as far as you did and I am super envious that your boobs are all yours again. And if you start to get fat, please let me know so I can quickly make sure to keep nursing forever. I have not gained any weight so far this pregnancy and my first time around I had already gained about 7 lbs! I do not want to be chubby!!! You rock MODG. xo

melissa December 13, 2011 at 3:34 pm

G is a little sadist, probably because he’ s a little punk rock baby. I mean that in the nicest, cutest possible way, of course.

Stina December 13, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Totally feel you. We just had a brief nursing strike but even in that short time I thought I needed to be committed. Let’s heap another pile of guilt (with the thought of weaning) on an already guilt riddled chick (thanks Mom)! We’re not there yet, but I gotta say in between my pangs were glimpses of selfish joy at the thought of that freedom. Hm.

psmama December 13, 2011 at 3:39 pm

this happened to me, too. except I actually hit my child, swatted him right upside the head. I couldn’t help it, he bit me so hard it was instinct. Thats when I knew, this pain train was over. I am soooo much happier now (not living in fear/having my own time) but the saggy boobs are no fun. No amt of bio oil is gonna make these suckers shrink back up.

Carrie December 13, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I totally get you on the guilt thing. I didn’t even end up breastfeeding my daughter very long, because she never latched right and it was bloody nipples for 2 months straight. Eventually one day I just started pumping, my boobs thanked me for it, and I pumped (up to 6x a day) for 13 months after that. The month after Lucy turned 1, I just stopped making that much milk, so I was only pumping once a day. I still felt HORRIBLE for weaning, even though she wasn’t breastfeeding. I think I was just reluctant to admit I had a toddler and not a baby anymore.

And I hate to tell you, but I have put weight back on. I went about 15 lbs below my pregnancy weight, probably b/c I cut out my wine consumption combined with super lactation, and am slowly putting it back on. It’s a bummer. I’m hoping to get through the holidays without too much damage, then make a new year’s resolution that will last a month or two, but will hopefully allow me to lose a half dozen lbs or so.

Julie December 13, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Carrie – you pumped for 13 months? Now THAT is dedication. How amazing!

Beck December 13, 2011 at 3:42 pm

We are getting in all four top teeth at once. No one ever told me that baby teeth are like sharp little puppy teeth. I made it seven months, threw myself a champagne fueled chocolate party, and slept in for the first time in a long time. PS, it’s been 6 weeks and I put on 7 lbs. Ugh. Still below pre preg weight, but I want to feel bitter about it.

KMW December 13, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I’m a little over 2 months into breastfeeding and it seems like such a long road. I don’t have a particularly good nurser here – she’s difficult at the best of times but gets enough and is growing like a weed and gaining weight perfectly so we push on because I know it’s best for her, as difficult and frustrating as it is for me.

I do miss going ANYWHERE without constantly calculating how long I can be gone… BUT the thing that is amazeballs about BF is that I ate half a cake. HALF. A. CAKE. And LOST 2lbs. Mother Nature got this one right.

Beck December 13, 2011 at 3:52 pm

For me life got SO much better around 12 weeks. My daughter just kind of consolidated her feedings so they were regular and decided she would take a bottle some of the time. It was like magic land. You can do it! Just do your best. And never quit on a bad day. My original goal was 6 month and through latch problems and flat nipples and mastitis and pumping, etc I made it to seven. So that made it easier to move on when the biting started. I’m sure you are doing a great job!

Jen December 13, 2011 at 3:47 pm

I FEEL YOUR PAIN. No. I mean I literally.feel.your.pain.

This is my 3rd kid. first boy. first time being a SAHM for the baby stage. therefore, its my longest time nursing. I cried and was sad that he didn’t nurse well and then REFUSED to nurse the first 4 months of his life. Then he magically started to nurse and was good at it – I rejoiced at that and was happy for the next 4 months. THEN the biting with teeth began. We worked at it and I made sure that all the planets were aligned properly for the nursing to happen without biting.

Then. Oh man, then I started to wake up with blood stains on my shirt after nursing at night. Then one Sunday he bit so hard that I bled and we cried. He had done this before and I pumped later and it was no big thang. But this particular bit was horrific. I pumped 4 hours later and I got PINK MILK. Pink, blood filled, vampire baby milk. That was the end of that.

For the next month I had sore boobs and he couldn’t have cared less about it. I was in pain with every move and touch again and he was happy to pound on my chest like a mother effing gorilla or something.

anyway, it’s 6 weeks since the ugly bite and we are happy formula feeders. Most of the time I’m ok with that. Much of the time though I think I should have pumped for those last 3 months. But with 3 kids and carpool and dance classes, church meetings and not wanting to be hooked up to that effing milker all the time. I called it quits.

I still have the sads though, cuz it’s more than likely the last baby I’ll ever nurse. ever in my life.

Cat December 13, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I wish you hadn’t posted this. A lot of women read this blog and you are encouraging 1.) early weaning and 2.) fear. Lots of new moms are already scared about baby getting teeth and biting.

I’m proud to say I got through that. It is just a phase and you have to make sure the baby really WANTS to nurse at the time. If you try to nurse a toddler when they don’t really want it, they may bite down.

It is very cool that you nursed to a year… but babies still need breast milk far beyond a year… 2 years plus, actually. I know you know this and you already know what you had on your hands was more of a brief nursing strike. It is incredibly rare for a one year old to wean spontaneously like that.

I’m glad you are happy, though…. A mom shouldn’t be miserable nursing…

:O December 13, 2011 at 4:07 pm

I was debating whether to comment on this Cat, but let’s not get into a debate about who’s the best breastfeeder. Plenty of moms managed to share that they nursed longer than a year without sounding superior about it. Extended breastfeeding certainly has it’s benefits, but nursing to 1 year these days is super, considering many moms don’t do it at all, and I’m sure G will be fine without it. Also, it sounds like that was an extreme case of biting, not the usual nip or two most moms “make it through”. Let’s try to remember we moms need to support each other no matter what, and your patronizing tone doesn’t help anyone. Rant over.

melissa December 13, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I was hoping someone would say something in a mature fashion before I chimed in and regretted it. I’ve got a number of bitchy opinions, but they’re probably not helpful.

Cat December 13, 2011 at 4:17 pm

The only moms nursing toddlers who chimed in downplayed their own commitment to breastfeeding by saying M was “lucky”… acting like they are miserable breastfeeding past 1. They essentially had to act miserable in order to make sure they didn’t come across as superior about it. ;-\

Christina December 13, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Perhaps you missed the part in the post where Amanda mentioned how G doesn’t care to not be nursing? He has had no meltdowns, so essentially he is weaning MODG by way of biting.
Perhaps you also have failed to read and research that while babies can certainly benefit from extended breastfeeding, that they do not NEED breastmilk. It is a wonderful life source, however it is often not possible to breastfeed for as long as MODG did, let alone at all.
In no way was she encouraging early weaning or fear. In no way did she say, ‘Moms, 365 is the end. Do no more or your baby will bite too. And biting is so bad and so evil that you will not be able to sleep at night and be in such pain you will go off the deep end.”
To be honest, your post reeks of jedgment and competition between moms which is what MODG has posted time and time again that she is against. As a mom, stop one upping others and share in their joy and be there for their saddness.
Ugh, and I just read your last comment. they “acted” miserable to avoid sounding superior? Seriously, THAT is what you got out of their posts? I hope when you do wean your child, that it is an easier process for you than most.

Cat December 13, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Ok, I agree that maybe I came off sounding too judgmental.

I guess I am just disappointed. I have a blog with a following, too, and I try to think about the implications of the stuff I post. I guarantee you new moms look up to her.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on the “need” thing. I *have* done my research and just about every major health organization agrees now that we should be breastfeeding for at least 2 years. Not one year. In fact, babies at 1 year should still be getting most of their daily nutrition from breast milk.

It isn’t just a benefit past one year… the stuff in breast milk is absolutely essential for optimal health. (Note – optimal. You can still have a wonderful, smart healthy kid… but breast milk + excellent nutrition in the early years leads to optimal health.)

Trish December 14, 2011 at 1:23 pm

^What she said. Word for word.

demi December 14, 2011 at 9:23 am

Man. It seems like no matter what we do as a mother-we can never do “enough” because there is always someone out there to bring you down. It makes me sad :( …You did/are doing wonderfully MODG, and I feel wierd even having to say that to you. Because 1 year is an AMAZEBALLS committment, and you have went through hell and back-and still stuck it through. Bravo! G is super happy, healthy, and cute as a button, and I know he will grow up into a strong healthy boy. :)

Clarissa December 13, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I hope this isn’t the opening volley of MILK WARS round 3,487,273.

Cat December 13, 2011 at 4:27 pm

It isn’t.

Christina December 13, 2011 at 4:55 pm

I understand your response much better. Thank you.
I do however think she feels it is her responsibility to be honest with her readers first and foremost, which is very much appreciated from her readers even though, in all honesty, she doesn’t owe us a damn thing.

Virginia December 13, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Cat, you say you are aware of the implications of what you write and yet you are unable to see how your your own comment makes other moms feel. As some one who has to exclusively pump because my daughter was tongue tied and couldn’t latch, your comment was extremely hurtful. I have sacrificed many, many things (more than the typical bfing mom) in order to be able to give my daughter BM for as long as I can (8 months and counting). And I would be lying if I said that guilt wasn’t part of my motivation to keep going.

Your response was judgmental and inconsiderate especially since you clearly read how heartbroken MODG is. Reading her blog for the past year, you can see how much she endured to give G breast milk. I would think most readers would see her as a role model
and an inspiration to keep going and not as a quitter as you implied. It’s judgmental comments like yours, not MODG’s, that put fear into new mothers.

Heather Rose December 13, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I’m not a mom yet, and I’m super-glad MODG tells it like it is. Yeah, I’m a little bit terrified of spawning a vampire-fanged baby that will severely masticate, mutilate and otherwise destroy my obviously-underappreciated nipples, but I’d be even more pissed to only hear ‘Yay! Rainbows and sparkles and breastfeeding!’ and then get there and have a very rude awakening.

I didnt read anything in the post that encouraged moms to stop breastfeeding early – in fact, I sensed a major reluctance on her part to do so.

Expressing opinions is cool – judging, not so much. <3

Clarissa December 13, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Yeah. I’m many years off from being a mom, but I am honestly way more afraid of dealing with 24/7 mom-on-mom judgment than I am of a baby with boobie fangs.

Heather Rose December 13, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Can I like this? It totally made me picture a one-handed mom slap fight taking place, while fanged babies hiss at each other from mom’s other arm…

melissa December 13, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Clarissa, 100% yes. I’m only like a year or two away and I’m probably going to get into some slap fights at the little gym. That snide [fill in the blank] just said what to me?

Clarissa December 13, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Just remember: PROTECT THE BOOBIES AT ALL COSTS.

Clarissa December 14, 2011 at 12:39 am

Just remember, Melissa: PROTECT THE BOOBIES AT ALL COSTS

Emily December 13, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Really? No… really? You just can’t win with some people.
But you’re totally right Cat. You win the internet. Modg totally sucks for breastfeeding longer than 85% of the country. This blog has been SOOOOOMG anti-breastfeeding!

Brittany December 13, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I don’t feel like MODG is encouraging early weaning-she made it to a whole year! And she’s hardly fear mongering-just speaking the truth-baby G bit her. Truth hurts, literally. I see nothing wrong with being informed about what can happen when babies get teeth.

MODG has always been a huge proponent of breastfeeding. The WHO does recommend breastfeeding for 2+ years, but as MODG said, G was done when he was done. It wasn’t like he was crying and begging for the breast and she denied him.

I just think we need to continue to support each other and not try to tear down one mom’s choice over anothers.

Nikki December 14, 2011 at 12:12 am

And, it’s important to remember that the WHO’s guidelines are issued to account for the poverty in many developing countries–part of the reason they recommend 2 years is because when women in developing countries use formula, they tend to dilute it so severely (to save money and due to a lack of education about proper use) that the babies hardly receive any nutritional benefits. Additionally, breastfeeding for a longer period of time delays the return of menses, which means women are not getting pregnant as frequently, since birth control is not as readily available.

Therefore, although there is absolutely no doubt that breastfeeding is beneficial, the 2 year guideline promulgated by the WHO is driven in large part by the fact that their policymaking process takes into account the socioeconomic factors of developing countries and therefore pushes their recommendation up. Of course they’ll say it’s for the health of the baby (and it is), but the reality is that there are other factors that weigh more heavily in their recommendation.

All I can say is cheers to MODG for making it to a year…after I returned to work 4 months out with 60-80 hour work weeks, I had to switch to pumping exclusively and only made it to 8 months. We’re “weaning” right now, and it’s a painful (emotionally and physical) process. As anyone who has ever attended a board meeting with cabbage leaves stuffed in their bra can likely attest….

MODG December 13, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Cat,
My whole blog is all about honesty. I also don’t think that 12 months is early weaning. I also made it very clear that weaning G was very heartbreaking. I have to wean to take medication which I stated in another post. It was a VERY difficult decision. I hope you can understand that and please not make it any harder by posting comments like this. I would have loved to BF for 2 years plus if it was possible for me. But it’s not for everyone and that is ok. And I wasn’t miserable nursing, it was the best thing I’ve ever done.

Cat December 13, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Sorry. I don’t want you to feel bad about it. :-\
The flip side of the feeling judged if you don’t breastfeed coin is that I feel like if you DO breastfeed you need to stay strong and show how you get through tough times. Breastfeeding isn’t easy. If it was a lot more women would get through the hard parts and stick with with it. So if a bunch of women listen to what I say, I feel like I need to stay strong and show that it can be done. If / when I need to stop, I guess I’d explain why, as you did.
I get why you stopped, though…and a year is inspiring to a lot of moms, I’d say.

I went back and read your last post on bfing. I don’t know what issue you have but I had minor prolapse related issues (similar? I duno) and I’ve been told they might get better once I wean. Luckily they aren’t too terrible, though. I hope the meds help you…

MODG December 13, 2011 at 5:43 pm

You do know that I didn’t eat dairy, wheat or soy for SIX months? And I exclusively breastfed without giving a bottle the entire year? I feel like I fought through the hardest times of my life and I breastfed when I could have quit. Your comment hurt me because I feel like I am a very strong breastfeeding advocate. I think I did the best I could.

Cat December 13, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I didn’t know that… and ironically… me, too, on the food allergies and no bottles! I feel like I just survived one of the hardest years of my life. Seriously.

I’m sorry I made you feel judged. All that matters is you tried your best… I’m sure lots of moms can look up to you when they want to quit in frustration because of food allergies and such.

Krista December 13, 2011 at 10:35 pm

I read through all of your posts about what you went through breastfeeding and I could not believe you stuck with it. I am still so impressed. I could hardly give up dairy for a week to see if it would help my fussy son. After breastfeeding my daughter for a year, I had a lot of struggles with my son after six months. If he had been my first I might have tried more things to keep it going, but I didn’t. It was hard to switch to formula, but I don’t feel like I failed him. I should mention that my daughter weaned herself just after a year. We were down to nursing once a day and I never refused her. I would have happily nursed her for two+ years but she didn’t want to. Modg, you did more than try your best. You breastfed your son for a year, he gets plenty of nutrition from solid food, and he’s happy!

Leslie December 13, 2011 at 11:43 pm

You know, I really think honesty about the good AND the bad is essential to being a strong breastfeeding advocate. Acting like everything is great when you nurse and real moms power through the tough times… just makes it seem like breastfeeding women are judgey jerks, and that it’s love it all the time or don’t bother.

Allison Zapata December 13, 2011 at 7:05 pm

And interesting enough, my second was born WITH A TOOTH. I didn’t BF, and my nipples let out a big sigh of relief.

Anna December 13, 2011 at 7:21 pm

What I think is sad is that the first thing I thought when I read this post was, “someone is going to make an obnoxious comment.” Sometimes being right isn’t as important as being nice. Is this really the time to make a comment to someone who has made a hard decision to stop breastfeeding about the need to breastfeed for 2 years? For god sakes we are all reading a blog so I am sure all the moms on here read all the things on the internet made to have us cower in guilt and we all know what we are “supposed” to do. I try to think of what my favorite yoga teacher says, “there are no shoulds.” Go enjoy your boobs MODG and some pretty bras.

MODG December 14, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Let’s leave this alone now. Cat’s not hostile and neither should we be. I will delete any bitch ass comments moving forward.

mrd December 15, 2011 at 9:01 am

MODG: Amazballs on the BF’ing. I want to give you credit for making me as excited about BF’ing my daughter. Well as excited about giving up your boobs and toting a pump everywhere I go, when she’s not with me, as one could get! haha, really though, reading about your BF’ing adventures has encouraged me to keep going for 7 months now and I was just sure that we’d never make that milestone, but I’m so glad we have :)

Julie December 13, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Cat, I wish you hadn’t posted this comment. A lot of women read this blog and you are encouraging 1.) an I’m-better-than you attitude and 2.) unnecessary negativity.

Allison Zapata December 13, 2011 at 7:01 pm

G sounds pretty happy, too. Plus, they are babies, not statistics. One year is more than enough. Way more than mine got…and they are healthy and happy as a dairy-full clam.

lbterp December 14, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I would worry that it may be much more dangerous to the health and happiness of a child to raise them in a negative, judgmental household that isn’t accepting/supportive of the choices of others than it would be to wean them, at any age.

Elisa December 13, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Great job on making it to a year! You’re right, it’s easier on G to wean that way, than to try and force him to stop if he didn’t want to, though it may not be as easy on you. I gain weight every time I quit nursing, but the independence makes up for it some.

Mer December 13, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I know this girl that got so skinny when she was nursing, and stayed skinny through weaning, and she started dressing all cute again, and wearing normal-girl undergarments. She even ordered a size 2 summer dress at Christmas. And then she got all knocked up again. Defense.

Jillian December 13, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Bah. All I can say is you are. SO. lucky. I am still nursing #1 who is going to be 2 in February, and #2 will be arriving end of March/early April. I wish weaning could be so easy for us! He cries for his nighnigh boo and it sucks :/ Don’t feel guilty. Feel lucky.

Pickle December 13, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I am in your exact same shoes, girlfriend. My daughter will be 2 mid-March, and I’m due March 27. I did manage to nightwean towards the beginning of my pregnancy, but I really wish she’d give me a break before the next one arrives.

On the positive, I’ve heard a nursing toddler REALLY helps when you’re engorged postpartum.

Mo December 13, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I was heartbroken after my oldest had weaned. He didn’t give a shit but I missed our nursing cuddles. Eventually I realized what it was like to wear a nice underwire pushup bra again and things got better. Boy did I need a good pushup after all my milk was gone, hello loose boob skin. Congrats on being able to nurse for a full year!

Hallie12409 December 13, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I was totally one of those babies that weaned herself. I gave my mom three months of nursing glory and then one day refused to even look at her boobs. My mom STILL gives me crap for that.

Krystyn December 13, 2011 at 4:05 pm

It’s such a hard thing when they “decide” they are done…like even as the mommy we need to be in control of that decision. And, even though it’s at the time we want it to happen.

I don’t know a single mom that has stopped nursing (for whatever reason) and didn’t cry.

But, three cheers for a happy vagina, a happy mom, and new bras that don’t have a flap on the front.

Leah December 13, 2011 at 4:09 pm

My little guy breastfed until about 16 months and for the last month or so it was just once a day, in the mornings when he was still half asleep. Wide awake, he had absolutely no interest in it. I’d whip out the boob and he would totally ignore me and try to climb off my lap. I was so, so sad. So when the day came that I decided we were done, he was all, “Eh, no biggie,” and I was a sobbing mess.

Oh, and he once bit me soooo hard at about 10 months that I bled like crazy. And because we were still in the midst of needing to BF every few hours, I had to go pump afterwards. It was bright red milk. Not pink, RED. It was so disgusting.

Lindsay December 13, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I know this post was mainly about breastfeeding, but I was most excited about the mention of BOX!!! I was going to “Ask MODG” whatever happened to Box? Did she ever have a baby too? The number one thing I fear about having children is not ever having a real life again and I always wanted to know what happened to MODG’s friends that used to make frequent appearances here.

Cathy C-Dub December 13, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I was thinking the SAME THING! Didn’t Box want to get preggo on the same day, lol?

MODG December 13, 2011 at 5:12 pm

SHE IS PREG.

Lindsay December 22, 2011 at 10:00 am

Hooray for Box! I’m picturing Tina Fey/Amy Poehler/Baby Mama scenario between the two of you. Please get a reality show and be on TV together. Adventures of MODG, Box & Babies. I could totally see it on Bravo.

Shannon December 13, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I relate. So torn.

My daughter Sloane (a week younger than G) is only nursing a couple of minutes in the morning and then signing “finished”. Cue my heart breaking into a million pieces. She then signs “play” until I let her wriggle out of my grasp me saying “are you sure?’ “do you need more milk?”

Bittersweet.

On another note, yeah for wearing underwire again!

YazJ42 December 13, 2011 at 4:20 pm

My baby is almost one and I am DYING to wean him. He is also being a vampire and biting me all the. Unfortunately, he won’t take a bottle or sippy cup. What is your baby drinking from now? Are you giving him cows milk? How did you wean him? HELPPPPP I’m desperate and in pain.

Yazj42 December 13, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I don’t know if my previous comment posted, but basically its a cry for help. I want to wean my almost one year old, but he won’t take a bottle or sippy cup. What did you do with your baby? what is he drinking out of and is he drinking cows milk?

Julie December 13, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Yazj42 – My daughter wouldn’t drink cow’s milk or use a sippy cup when she was weaning either, and she self-weaned at around 14-15 months. She did eat plenty of yogurt and cheese and got all of her dairy there. She started taking a sippy cup within a couple of months but we literally tried dozens of different cups before she found one she liked.

Holly December 13, 2011 at 7:35 pm

My baby is only 4 months so I don’t have the cup/bottle issues YET, but BLW says skip the sippy cup and go straight to a grown up cup…

AmyIrenie December 13, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I have yet to experience the highs and lows of breastfeeding, but I will never forgot my mother saying “I knew it was time to wean you off the boob when I started having dreams that you and your tiny teeth morphed in an alligator with giant teeth.” Apparently I was a chomper like G.

I just ordered some Shakeology. I’ve been looking for something other than Slim-Fast. Thanks!

demi December 13, 2011 at 4:35 pm

ahh girl I understand the biting!!! it’s hell and NOT FUN. i totally get the cries aspect of it though. When isabel found a bottle she liked-she REJECTED ME. I wasn’t even ready! But I had to get over it. ugh. She was happy as a clam though! I hope you enjoy what shakeology does for you. it helped me lose 50 lb’s of baby weight and I’ve kept if off now for 3 years. Try replacing your breakfest with it. When I was a coffee-holic-I would mix it in with dry instant coffee-or cold coffee (hot coffee would kill the nutrients) and BAM the healthiest frappachino-EVER. WINNING.

Sara *Idon'tknowwhatI'mdoingbutIpretend* Jo December 13, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Kudos to ANY breastfeeding mamma out there. Whether it’s a month or a year. For some people it’s not as easy as it seems. And for some it’s super easy. My friend had no problems with her supply and was able to stop at 10 months and have enough breast milk in the freezer for her little one for another 2 months. That is not the same for me. I pump 7-8x a day and still have to use a little formula. I had thrush once and mastitis about a month ago. I honestly am counting down the weeks until J is a year old (he is almost 9 months now) and I am done! but also at the same time it’s been wonderful. I love knowing that I am the one that is feeding J with my very own body. It’s empowering and it’s awesome.

Pickle December 13, 2011 at 4:42 pm

I’m glad weaning went so smoothly for you and G. My LO is 21 months tomorrow and shows no signs of wanting to stop, even though I’m 6 months pregnant. Sigh…I could really use the break too.

Tara December 13, 2011 at 4:47 pm

My first child, Ian, also started biting me about 10 months. He did it for one full day. I went to the store and bought a can of formula and cried over it, but it only lasted one day, but my boobs were very scared from there on out. We did make it to 11 months but it was a hard last month!! GOOD FOR YOU for BF, no matter how long!!

Cathy C-Dub December 13, 2011 at 5:02 pm

MODG-
What’s this “sign for hurting” that you mention?? Also, how’s the goat milk thing going with G? Did he ever notice a difference and are you using a sippy cup (the playtex one from your favorite things)?

Cat

apankratz December 13, 2011 at 5:16 pm

All of mine self weaned, too…

Most pediatricians want kids to transition to a sippy at age one…

elle December 13, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Ha. I am reading this post while at work, strapped up to my pump inside the nasty ” lactation station” at work. While I love love love nursing my baby I loathe this stupid machine. I wish I could just be home with him!
Congrats on this milestone…and gorgeous pic!

Domo December 13, 2011 at 5:21 pm

As long as the days can be and as quick as this year passed us by, you have come a long way amanda! Bravo!

caroline December 13, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Woop woop!!! Way to go momma!! I did just over a year also and I didn’t feel quilty for weaning. Totally shocking as I feel quilty for taking the time to shower each day. I’m catholic.

I will give you this PSA!!!!!!!!!!!
I got crazy mad CRAZY when I weaned. I think I was addicted to the nursing hormones. I needed my fix and there was no way to get it. I turned into a husband hating sad person. Apparently this is normal. BEWARE!

ps – I also gained about 10 lbs. =(

Elisa December 13, 2011 at 6:17 pm

@Caroline, that totally happened to me too. It came on slowly, but I went from being calm and placid to getting angry over pretty much everything my husband did for awhile. I think it was those great nursing hormones too. It gradually went away, but was so addicting I decided to go ahead and have another baby (not just for the hormones). Yay oxytocin!

CarliB December 13, 2011 at 5:26 pm

MODG you should take a pregnancy test lol.

MODG December 13, 2011 at 6:36 pm

sadly my vagina is too sick to be preg. That’s what the meds are for.
actually not sadly. I do NOT want to be preg now.

Christie December 13, 2011 at 5:51 pm

My son NEVER latched so I pumped for 10 months, I was very lucky and made in excess, so he was getting breastmilk until about 11 months. I felt NO shame in retiring my Medela and am elated to not have to watch the clock or have more then 1 glass of wine with dinner.
That being said, I am so proud of myself for doing it as long as I did and sticking with it through all the ups and downs and one infection to boot.

Be proud of what you accomplished. I’m proud of you.

Karena December 13, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Same EXACT thing happened to me and my baby (ok, he’s 6 now, but he’s still MY baby) at 12 1/2 months. He started biting. So I gave him a cup of regular milk. And he didn’t care. At all. Never looked at my boobs again. G reminds me a LOT of my son. He was a HUGE dramababy. And I wish I could tell you it got easier, but it didn’t. Well he’s super awesome, but still lots of drama.

katyandzucchini December 13, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I had a biter too. For me, the biting hurt like hell…but then the nursing on an open wound? holyshit, never been in so much pain….and I had no pain meds when I had her!! I don’t know why, but I kept nursing…she didn’t bite regularly…which I think made it worse because I was afraid of her all the time. :) I am now nursing with #2 (who doesnt’ have teeth yet, and frankly I woudln’t mind if he didn’t get them until he was 2 years old) who has milk and soy allergies too.

The milk soy thing?! I have never had to think so much about food in my life. My husband doesn’t understand why I don’t want to go out to dinner…but I am so nervous that they will cook my eats in butter, or something stupid which will make my baby MISERABLE FOR DAYS and I won’t sleep. Not worth it.

I feel your pain, I understand your choice, and I look forward to hearing more about your adventures as a mom!!

Susan December 13, 2011 at 6:17 pm

MODG, I cried when I stopped nursing both of my babies. And….they are now grown women…27 and 31. Breastfeeding is a beautiful bond that only mother and child have. But….there will be other bonds. I promise.

Shannon December 14, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Thanks for that comment Susan. I am feeling the same, the “bond is broken, or over” feeling. Thank you for your sweet words to MODG as I am going to selfishly apply them to myself. ;)

Trisha Benish December 13, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Way to go! I admire your persistence even when times were tough with food and such. *Mini wave for you.*

Leah B December 13, 2011 at 6:57 pm

well I don’t have anything to add.. I only breast fed 3 months. Because I’m lame and I wanted my boobs back :p
But I just wanted to say, you should have seen the look on my husband’s face when he walked in and saw your paint workshop art.

alemunshi December 13, 2011 at 7:02 pm

rock on, Modg. rock on.

B-Dub December 13, 2011 at 7:12 pm

That image of the biting of nipples hurts me.

I’m not a mom, but my mom was never able to breastfeed me or my little brother. She basically almost starved me by her incessant trying before she finally had to give up. She just couldn’t produce the milk. I’m afraid that may be the case when I have kids some day, but I hope if it is, I have understanding people around me like MODG. I hope I am able to breastfeed, but you never know! No one should be judged by their breastfeeding or weaning choices. Especially by anyone who doesn’t have all the info.

Thanks for being real with us always, MODG.

(P.S. – I wasn’t breastfed and I turned out JUST FINE. So I think G will be exceptionally fine since he had the privilege of your boobs for a whole year.)

Amy F. December 13, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Oh man, I can so relate! I’m actually really glad that my son decided to wean himself because I think it would have been harder if I’d had to make the decision. It started with the biting. And then the almost ripping my nipple half off while he sucked and turned his head to look at something shiny on the other side of the room at the same time…

11 months–and I was a working Mom! I feel proud that I was able to nurse/pump as long as I did. My 2.5 year old is now a 3 ft. 40 lb. beast (and I attribute it all to breastfeeding…well, and good genes.)

OurGrowingGarden December 13, 2011 at 7:22 pm

NAY. Do not wean over bitten nipples! I have a LLL leader manual and I totally wrote a post on nipple biting! You should check it out for tricks on how to protect your nipples :)

Biting at the Breast: http://www.ourgrowinggarden.com/2011/07/dont-bite-my-nipples.html

OurGrowingGarden December 13, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Okay, I just *actually* read the post in its entirety. You rocked. You rocked your boobs off and if you feel like it’s time then it is and you did an AWESOME JOB. I just don’t want you to stop if you don’t *really* want to bc you can remedy the biting situation. *hugs* You rock mama. I am slowly weaning right now at 16 mo bc I’m pregnant and I shed alot of tears over it too.

Holly December 13, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I just want to say THANK YOU! Before having my son I figured I would bfeed till he was say 6 months and def supplement. Then you encouraged me to solely bfeed… then my drama baby decided I couldn’t have dairy, again, YOU ENCOURAGED me with your crazy stories of marrow soup. So please ignore the crazy comments that have side-eye written all over them.

Furthermore, some mothers have to work, making bfeeding extremely difficult… I have to go back to work in 3 weeks and I am TERRIFIED bc my boobs HATE my ridiculously expensive pump.

So take your meds, drink some starbucks, and be thankful G weaned himself naturally.

Jessica December 14, 2011 at 10:36 am

I was so worried about keeping it up after going to work too! Just start pumping once a day before you go back to build up your stash and it will get your body adjusted to the pump. (I also had better success once I changed the size of the shields.) I’ve been back for 2 months now and it’s finally going great. I look forward to it as a break in my day. Your work day will go by as fast as your day does now since you’re having to stop everything to “nurse”. I did get to a point that I wasn’t producing enough, so I added in another pumping session in the morning before work and took Fenugreek. Problem solved. Good luck lady! You can do it!

chelsey December 13, 2011 at 8:18 pm

What sippy cup does g baby like? Bc if I don’t find one that my rylie likes ill be bfing till she’s likes 5, I can’t handle that. Haha

Emily December 14, 2011 at 10:50 am

My daughter really liked cups with straws over traditional sippy cups.

lauren December 13, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Thanks for posting. I am going to be so sad when I am done breastfeeding, but it will also feel good to go somewhere other than the dentist without the babe. I am back at work now, and am pumping like a freaking cow, then when I get home I nurse as much as I can because I don’t want to be a bf’ing failure. It is all so stressful, but I secretly love it.

Kathleen December 13, 2011 at 8:54 pm

You are a BF’ing rockstar and you did an awesome job. Seriously, you should be super proud. BF’ing has sooooooooo many challenges and potential challenges. As a mom of 4 I’ve seen a lot of them. And with youngest at one month old, for me right now it’s BOOBSAROUNDTHE CLOCK.

Anyway… thanks for the amazeballs entertainment that is your blog. :)

KT December 13, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Thanks for posting your story; I didn’t have the biting, but decided to wean my G man around his birthday last week as well. It was much harder on me, and he’s happy as a clam. I never realized how ambivalent I would feel about it, but the freedom to wake up a few minutes later and actually be able to work out more frequently without pumping feels great! Thanks to you, I’ll be going over to the folks at Shakeology and ordering, just to keep up some sort of skinnies after BF.

Miss Andi December 13, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Congratulations!!!

I’m going to start weaning soon, too for many of the same reasons you are…and, yeah… I am slightly heartbroken, but hope Little Man does it himself. I may read him your blog tomorrow just so he knows that G was cool with it, so he can be, too. Seriously, I read parts of your blog to him in the hopes he’ll be cool with things.

Carla December 13, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Congrats! Please don’t cry, you totally rocked the breastfeeding and majorly brightened a whole ton of Christmases. Now go drink a little too much to celebrate!

Sasha December 14, 2011 at 12:04 am

I am hyperventilating over weaning because I nurse my 10mo back to sleep at night every time he wakes up, which is about 3 times. I don’t know how to make him sleep without boob magic…HELP, I mean seriously what do I do?

MODG December 14, 2011 at 9:55 am

I did this too. It will slowly go away, I promise. Eventually though if his cries weren’t the urgent kind, he fell back alseep after about 2 minutes. But don’t worry, it will stop on it’s own. I promise

Jenni December 25, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Yes. This freaks me out. My child knows no other than to be nursed to sleep and nursed back to sleep. She won’t take a paci, either. I’ve tried them all. I feel like I will be nursing until she’s ten.

Brianna December 14, 2011 at 12:33 am

Please tell me that Pete made Shakeology cocktails with like, chocolate liquor or Baileys or Kahlua. Please please please.

laura December 14, 2011 at 7:29 am

congrats on nursing for a full year! that is a wonderful accomplishment. i also stopped nursing my little guy around 12-13 months because he would not stop biting. my daughter? she caught on when i told her to stop biting. the little guy? not so much. but life goes on… and freedom is good!

Tamara December 14, 2011 at 9:42 am

OMGMODG, what a beautiful photo. Mazel on weaning your wee man and good luck with your boobs. Mine now look like deflated little sock monkeys. Go me.

Megan December 14, 2011 at 9:48 am

I had this same problem. With the baby and the husband. HaHa. My husband was absolutely no help in making dicisions about breastfeeding. I mainly just wanted to hear I was doing the right thing just like you but he says “I dunno what ever you want to do I guess.” And like you too, I never forced the bottle issue early on so my son never took a bottle. I really cried alot and struggled with having to stop nursing but the time was right for my little boy so I had to. After a couple of weeks it really is lovely when you are not on that schedule and everything going into your body is going to baby. I hope you enjoy this phase. My husband wants another one now and I haven’t been done nursing for a whole year yet. I think I will be waiting a little bit. Also, when I called lactation they told me to take real sudafed because I was so engorged and the meds dried my years worth of working for milk up in just about 3 days.

Jana December 14, 2011 at 10:09 am

Have you replaced your pre-bed & pre-nap nursing sessions with anything? Sippy of milk, just cuddling & rocking, etc? I’m planning to wean my 1 year-old soon and while I don’t nurse him to sleep, I do nurse him as the last step of our pre-sleep routine. Not sure how to replace that … Thanks for any tips!!

MODG December 14, 2011 at 10:10 am

I tried a cup of milk and he wasn’t interested. We just do a book with his favorite little doll, lights down cuddled in our nursing chair with pacifier. He’s more than happy with that.

Kaelaqlc December 14, 2011 at 10:18 am

MODG, don’t you dare EVER doubt if you are a good mother or not. I am one of those long-time readers who has been with you through the elimination diet and even as a complete stranger who has never met you I can say with full confidence that you are a wonderful mother who would do ANYthing for your dramababy. Now enjoy some MARTINIS after this year of diaper genies :) Not that you’re done with diapers, I just said that ‘cuz of your blog name duh.

CONGRATULATIONS on meeting your one-year goal. You made it a lot farther than some mothers do, and your dedication is truly inspiring!

RosieG December 14, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Nice to see B without a bandana.

Kass December 14, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I nursed all 4 of my kids for at least a year, so you get to be in my club. When they would bite, I would push their little faces firmly into my bazoom and they would have to let go to breathe. They didn’t do it again. Someone else has probably offered that, but I didn’t take time to read all the comments.

Veralynn December 14, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Three things.

First, I am about to (fingers crossed, my due date is Friday) pop my first little biscuit out of the oven and I have been wide-eyed at all the crap you have gone through to give G the boob. I don’t know if I could continue if I faced that many hurdles- I’m actually pretty darn sure I would’ve been on Amazon buying Subscribe & Save formula. Moral of the story: you rock. B knows it, G knows it, and we all know it. As Nene would say, own it!

Second, I am going to have to start paying closer attention to your strategies on how not to let the husband in on just how many shipments we are receiving from UPS. Right now my excuse is “Holiday shopping and I’m about to pop out your firstborn son! Don’t give me the side eye!” and thankfully it’s working. For now.

Third, I hope your dad experimented with Shakeology and alcohol and I hope there are recipes. If it is possible to mix these two of my favorite things and still lose weight…I’m really going to have to work on my UPS excuses because it has been a long, dry nine months (take that how you will).

DEMI December 15, 2011 at 9:58 pm

So it totes can mix with alcohol. ((Hidden secret)) u have to be careful with how you experiment with the shake to alcohol ratio though. Plus..shakeology equals the best hangover remedy and prevention if draaaank before nightime! Word.

AwesomeMom December 14, 2011 at 3:03 pm

That is my exact situation right now, and my son is 11 1/2 months.

Kindred Spirits December 15, 2011 at 8:03 pm

You have one BIG heart! It’s so inspiring to see someone living their purpose. Amongst the dishes, nappy changes and getting dinner on the table, you are making a difference. I am am so happy to have found youx

Trish December 16, 2011 at 11:33 am

Have you heard?! Britney Spears got engaged last night! I was expecting to see a post on it :)

I'llSleepWhenThey'reGrown December 17, 2011 at 12:19 am

Ooh, girl. My EB bit me at 13 mo and I took it as a clear sign she was donezo. It’s so much better than telling them sorries, but the boobs are closed for business. He made the choice and that’s awesome. How many times do we need our nips chomped to hear that they’re over it? Too many, apparently. But we do that because we care.

Kelly @ Dare to be Domestic December 17, 2011 at 5:41 pm

thank you for putting all the things I fear about motherhood into a context that is not only entertaining but easy to understand!!! And please, be sure to share your favorite Shakeology recipes. After the holidays I want to try to get back into eating better and working out and that’s the first thing I want to try for sure. I’ve had a sample and LOVED it!

Krissy December 17, 2011 at 9:41 pm

you totally jinxed me! Ive been bf’ing little man for 13 months now (I did 15 mo with my daughter) and once I read this post.. I have been bitten 3x!! Damn you! Oh well.. I made it the year that I commited to..I’ll take it as a sign that he’s done. But yeah, totally normal to be sad about it. I loved breastfeeding, but still feeling bad that its over..but happy that my boobs are once again to be my own! yay!

Pam December 18, 2011 at 9:24 pm

be sure to try the butterfinger recipe once you start shakeology, its awesome! love your blog :)

Lauren December 19, 2011 at 9:18 am

Yay- you did it! The breastfeeding and the weaning…and lived to talk about it :) Weaning is so totally all about the Mommy- my G could have also cared less about the boob after 1 year but it was me who had withdrawals!
Go ‘head on with your 7th grade no boob self and get some new bras! My G is now almost two and I have yet to go get new bras—should probably get on top of that.