Operation WANA lives on. We are (still) not assholes.

Post image for Operation WANA lives on. We are (still) not assholes.

What a whirlwind of awesome. The positivity is shooting out of my computer like unicorn rays (they are rainbow colored if you’re wondering). I never ever expected the amount of generosity and kindness to explode the way it has. When I wrote the original WANA post, I remember thinking I hope I hope a few people offer to help or we really are going to look like assholes. And then like everyone in the world offered to help everyone else in the world. And just like everyone else, I cried. I read through every.single.comment. And cried.

There are mothers without cribs for their babies, who now have them. There are pregnant women without clothes for their newborns who now have them. People are getting grocery store gift cards. People are going out to personally shop for other family’s children. Kids are getting lego tables, books, bikes, diapers…and it goes on and on. And these are kids who would have no Christmas otherwise. And some, nothing to eat and nowhere to sleep. It’s beyond heartbreaking. And I 100% believe that we all want to help, we just don’t know the best way how. And to me, this felt right.

Well before WANA, I’ve seen women coming together in the comments to help each other breastfeed their baby or offer support with pp depression or just tell another random commenter how funny they are. These are real human interactions based on a blog about poop and pee. And that’s why this works. It’s just people helping other people. But with the reward of the one on one interaction. And that IS a huge reward. It’s just nice to know exactly how you are helping a family with no middle man. Just you and the person who needs help, helping. Simple and awesome.

That’s the reason I don’t want to do a donate button or a paypal button. The beauty in this is the personal help. I think it makes us all happier. Yesterday I was dealing with bloody nipples and mall shoppers (i.e. the real crazies out there) and I could not be more smiley. Hopefully you guys feel the same way.

So now what? We obviously can’t just let this die. My amazing web designer Hibiscus Creative, donated her time to create a forum for us that is so much more user friendly. You have the ability to post a need and see how many people have responded, right away. This will exist on the MODG blog forever. And I won’t just let it sit there. We will check in and highlight needs and highlight special givers. See the icon in the sidebar to your right.

And we will also get back to business around here. My life has been turned upside down in a matter of 1 week and I’m dying to tell the internet about it. We’ll get there.

For now, check out the forum. The original post still exists here if you are working with someone on a need or vice versa. If your need hasn’t been answered, please post it to the forum.

You guys are really amazing. You did all of this. I just gave you the opportunity.

SUPER CHRISTMAS SPIRIT MODG.

(fyi she looks like this…)

**NOTE**

You should not need to register for the forum. You should just be able to plug in your email address and post.

POSTED IN: Awesome things,WANA

Amanda December 11, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to come together this way MODG!

mandie December 11, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Yay WANA, yay goodness, yay etc. Buuuuut …… I’m going to need more details on this “turned upside down life” business. STAT. (BFP? You knew we were going to go there.)

Anne December 11, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Obviously I thought the exact same thing, mandie. It’s like we are friends in real life or something….Spill it, MODG!!!

Elyse December 11, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Haha it was my first thought too! Then it could also be a book deal?
Or Andy Cohen wants her to be the next housewife.
Spill MODG!

Shelly December 11, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Can’t be ~ see post on 12/1 about the RETURN of the PERIOD!

But I too hate suspense ~ more details please, MODG!

rachel December 11, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I love this and I’m so glad it’s going to stay forever so when things are better for us I can help like I’m being helped now. Also I’m afraid some people with needs aren’t going back and checking. I’ve replied to a couple (couldnt email them because they didn’t leave an email) and haven’t heard back. Any suggestions on what to do there? And yes I’ve been more smiley and in fact chased down the man who checked out in front of me at the store when he left something behind. You’ve created something amazing here. Thank you

MB December 11, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I don’t think I can stand anymore, I have helped 4 already and I just keep going back to look for more. Target and Walmart will be exploding with gift cards tomorrow. I hope more people can get onto the blog and let us know what is needed, it makes me so much more happy to give to someone who needs it as apposed to my family because we have way too much.
I can’t imagine going to sleep at night and not knowing how to feed my child let alone no Christmas, every child should have a present on Christmas morning.
Thanks for the forum to spread Christmas cheer. MaryBeth

Michelle December 11, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I just posted on the “offering help” side and when I submitted it looked like everything went through (I clicked on it after submission to view it to make sure everything looked ok) but now it is not there. WANA ate my help :( Anyway, just an FYI unless I’m super special and am looking at something wrong (very possible… )

rachelkrull December 11, 2011 at 5:35 pm

michelle,
i just checked and didn’t see it so i think WANA did eat your help :(

rachelkrull December 11, 2011 at 5:47 pm

it’s there now! :)

Michelle December 11, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Where?? I only see MODG’s 1st post. I refreshed it and all… I don’t know. WANA is a selective wench… only letting certain people see things. Or maybe my computer is having issues. I’ll check back later.

Lauren December 11, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I cannot describe how excited I am to send these packages out in a few days! I can only help 2 this year, but I hope that it makes a difference! So wonderful to see others doing the same!

Jenn in Tenn December 11, 2011 at 6:04 pm

So excited to see this is not going to be a temporary thing! You rock MODG!

Alex P. December 11, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I’m still checking stuff, too… I’ve got a couple that haven’t been claimed that I’m going to be posting – oh crap I gotta start supper – in a few hours. So hopefully by the time I get back to the computer they will have helpers.

modgblogwana@gmail.com

Lego Momma December 11, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I’m one of those who has been helped, and I can’t begin to tell you how it has touched me that. I can’t wait to see my baby boy open his present on Christmas morning! The women who reached out to me is an angel, and I feel so blessed to have been connected to her. I also found a way to help another mother with lightly used warm coats for her kids. I know it’s not much, but it feels good, and I hope over the next year I can “pay it forward” using the WANA forum!! Thank you to MODG for taking a chance on that post, the amazing kindness of those who have helped, and the bravery and strength of those mothers who have inspired me. So many tell of their extremely difficult situations, yet at the root they are all the same, trying hard, loving their children, doing everything they can to take care of their families. Sending love and happy, warm wishes to all of you incredible, inspiring people.

Ms. Alias December 11, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I needed help this year, and I got it. Hope I will be able to help someone soon. This has turned me from a bitchy, slightly depressed, hating the holidays person into someone who yells about her heart filling with joy, and other sappy sayings. I have cried numerous times and said things I never thought I’d say, but it feels so damn good. My children, who have been through a lot this year and never complained, are now getting what they deserved, a happy Christmas. :D

~spoiled~ December 11, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I never thought I would ever need to ask for help, but this year has been a bunch of ups and downs! The year started out wonderful as we were expecting our first child in July. Everything went well with the pregnancy except my blood pressure. I had my son 3 weeks early on June 20th. Then on June 28th, my husband lost his job. We started using up what we had in savings to buy diapers, and pay bills. We have now used everything in savings and didnt know where to turn. Someone on my BBC board posted this blog. So I came on here not expecting much if any. I posted my story and within minutes I had emails coming in with people wanting to help. I sat in tears as I read each email. Ive paid it forward to others when we could and its now coming full circle. Thank you to whoever started this blog. Happy Holidays to all

MB December 11, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Is anybody else having problems with the WANA forum? I think I registered and I see my name but it constantly reloads so I don’t have a chance to get to the need or give posts.

WanaHelp December 11, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I am having trouble, too. I wanted to register (now that isn’t an option for me-only login or forget password) and the only posts showing are the 2 from MODG. I will try again later!

rachel December 11, 2011 at 9:30 pm

to register you need to click on the link at the right side of the page under where it says be my friend now. when you sign up to become a member of the blog you are also then signed up for the forum. it really confused me too. i think we’re going to need a post with instructions. :)

Lucy December 11, 2011 at 10:30 pm

I can’t figure out how to register either. I swear I don’ t see a ” be my friend now” link…. Of course I just finished a large glass of wine but still!

rachel December 12, 2011 at 12:00 am

there should be a bunch of pictures of people who are members and is just above boobs and where to buy stuff

DR December 11, 2011 at 11:52 pm

I can’t see how to register – ugh!

Maria G. December 11, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Im so happy this has been such a success. Ive read so many posts about peoples lives and I think its great what everyone is doing. I posted a NEEDS on the other forum but noone has replied able to help me with my major need.

Im a single mother working to help my mother pay her bills and we just moved into this new apt with absolutely no furniture. The reason being is because we have been homeless for the past year. The apt my mother was living in last year started getting to high for her to pay for (if anyone from Jersey knows its beginning to be very costly to live out here) so my mother and 12 year old brother/ 13 year old sister had to stay in my uncles 1 bedroom apt. My mother was unable to bring her stuff to my uncles because the apt is small so she put it in storage. To keep food around for my siblings my mother was unable to make all the payments for her storage room and everything we’ve ever owned was all auctioned off over the summer. We have nothing but our clothing that we are moving into this apt. If anyone would be able to send my now 13 year old brother/14 year old sister a bunk bed and possibly some kitchen utensils (pots, pans, spoons, forks) or donate a Walmart gift card to my family so I could purchase the bunk bed & kitchen supplies that would really make my families Christmas. I feel bad that my younger siblings dont even want to ask for games, or books for Christmas but to sleep in an actual bed since theyve been sleeping on the floor for the past year at my uncles. I dont mind sleeping on the floor and niether does my mother. Also if anyone has a stroller I could reaally use it. My back has never been the same since I had the epidural and had to start back working after I had my daughter and I carry her in a carrier to her babysitters almost a mile everyday so I can go to work. My back hurts so much when I get off of work but have no better options..

god bless you all & have a very merry christmas!

EMAIL : TALESHA142004@YAHOO.COM

Megan December 12, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I’d love to do a little to help you get some things you need from Walmart. It probably won’t be enough to buy the whole set and other things your family needs, but I hope my donation can help and that others provide some as well.

SpontaneousMom December 12, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Would love to help you. Sending you an email now. Thanks MODG for unicornrainbowbritneysprinkles and all- Happy Holidays!

Maria G. December 15, 2011 at 6:57 pm

thank you Soo much modg! Because this site and the very generous people who have responded to me most of my daughters needs have been met. She Officially will have a great Xmas. I was wondering if anyone would be able to meet my two teen siblings need for beds. I posted at the beginning of the week about us moving in with no furniture and them not having a bed to sleep on so theyre on the floor for now. I set up a paypal account on Monday because someone was able to send me money to get a crib for my Roycie but I wanted to see if anyone would be able to donate money so I could get my siblings a bed. I think getting just a bunk bed for them would be ok since it’s cheaper than buying 2 separate beds. If anyone has a bunk bed to donate that would he even better. Thank you Soo much to the families who were able to help me and my daughter out this Xmas! God bless

Email: talesha142004@yahoo.com

NJ December 11, 2011 at 7:36 pm

MODG,
Congrats to you for taking crappy comments and turning them into rainbows and sparkles. I’m so thrilled that you started Operation WANA and have created a forum to continue its special magic. What a beautiful way to bring people together!

Lara December 11, 2011 at 7:55 pm

First off, I would like to say thank you to the outstanding women who are helping me. I look forward to telling my children that Santa really does exist, because it’s the Christmas spirit living in these women that will make their Christmas morning a joyful one. That sounded sappy, but that’s how I feel. I would like to register to use the WANA forum, but there doesn’t seem to be a spot to register, only to sign in. Soon I will have clothes to hand down, and I would like to use the forum for this!

rachel December 11, 2011 at 9:31 pm

i posted above with directions on how to sign up. :)

kate December 11, 2011 at 8:51 pm

It’s been so great to be part of this. I’ve connected with several amazing women and their families… almost my entire paycheck from last week went towards WANA! I started emailing different people in need and couldn’t stop. But I could afford to do it and there’s nothing I could have bought myself with that money that would’ve felt as great as this has. I’ll be keeping an eye on the forum to see if there are other *needs* I can help with in the weeks to come. Thanks for putting this all together, MODG.

michelle December 11, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Kate ~ I totally agree with your comment about how material things could never make you feel as great as helping someone truly in need. Isn’t it amazing!? The person I helped has been so grateful and gracious, but I can’t explain to her enought how I feel greatful to her for letting me help. We’re “arguing” thank yous back and forth :) Such an awesome thing! Happy Holidays!!!

Danielle December 11, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Kate there was a post on the other blog about a few hours ago. I mom needs help with groceries for her gluten free child. They just got the news and it’s seems to be important. Wanted to pass along If your still willing to help. I am trying to hell her as well. Her email is danflyjeans@gmail.com thank you for your kind heart as well as all the other miracle workers on here

Lauren December 11, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I am so excited to send out 4 packages tomorrow. I want to sign up for the forum but didn’t see where I can register. I saw the login but since I don’t have a name yet, I’m not able to get in. Sorry I’m an idiot when it comes to this kind of stuff…

PatriciaCurry December 11, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Earlier this morning I posted a **need** comment on the Operation WANA post and now I don’t see any comments at all on it. It was quite a lengthy post. When I try to go to a new page with just the post to try and see the comments the page seems to be caught in a loop and just refreshes. I’m so sad. I was desperate and needed the help.

PatriciaCurry December 11, 2011 at 11:10 pm

And now when I click on “Forum” on the latest post it’s saying something about me needing to change my profile info because I haven’t posted yet. NOW I am about to cry….

KateP December 11, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Patricia, your comment IS on the original WANA post:

The comments have been broken up among several pages now… on my browser, your comment is on page 7. As you scroll through the comments, look at the top of the comments and you’ll see “previous comments” and “next comments”. It also helps to do a CTRL+F to search the page, and then type in “curry” to quickly scan the comments until you find where yours is. Someone offered you some test strips and a couple other things.

As far as the forum, on the main page of the BLOG, make sure you’ve signed up for the BLOG. On the right side of the page, under the drop down menu that says “I want to read about…” is a header called “Be my friend now”. There’s a way to join/log in from there. You have to sign up on the blog in order to be part of the forum. After that’s done, you can go to the forum and adjust your profile info so that your display name is PatriciaCurry instead of a strand of numbers.

PatriciaCurry December 11, 2011 at 11:53 pm

KateP, thank you. I did find it!I am a little confused though…I did join and logged in but I still got that when I tried to go to the forum. {{scratches head}}

PatriciaCurry December 12, 2011 at 12:10 am

I think I got the forum thing down now. Phew, what a confusing day. Thank you again.

AnneMage December 12, 2011 at 12:22 am

that beard is inspirational ^_^

Kathleen December 12, 2011 at 1:10 am

I’m in awe at the response I’ve gotten after I posted my need. I just can’t get over the kindness of strangers!! I look forward to sharing all about it. I’ll go check out the new forum.

Thanks again Amanda for making this possible. It’s… amazeballs. ;)

Bon December 12, 2011 at 9:45 am

This is the same thing that thebloggess.com did last year.
Still, glad to see it again!!!

Congrats on showing that there are people out there who actually take time out to help others!

jess December 12, 2011 at 11:15 am

I couldn’t agree more that the gifts I sent are the best I’ve given in a while. I just wanted to confirm that everyone on the original thread has been helped? And how many comments did the final total end up being? I could not stop looking at it.

Shelly December 12, 2011 at 11:26 am

MODG ~ Could you shoot me an email when you get the chance with your contact info? I received a response from a local news media outlet who would like your contact information to do a piece on this! :)

harryandshelly@gmail.com

Darbi December 12, 2011 at 11:35 am

Dude, this is so awesome! I feel all warm and fuzzy as I buy my gift cards online to send to folks. One of the moms that I have helped sent me pics of her cute baby girls and they are all I can think of. I have to go to Target today and I just might have to buy some presents to send to them. I’m putting my family on a Christmas budget so we can help more Modg families. They’ve go enough crap. I love it! :)

Morgan December 12, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Hi MODG, Is there an easy way to see if needs of a post have been met? And which posters are still in need? I’d love to help someone who still needs assistance this Christmas but I’m not sure how to differentiate them between someone who has received responses already.

Megan December 12, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Morgan, Please look at Maria G’s post just about 12 (new) posts above this one. From what I can tell, I am the only one to provide some support and it sounds like she’ll need some more.

Morgan December 12, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Ok, new quick question: are comments moderated? I posted a response but it didn’t immediately show up. I’m thinking it’s awaiting moderation or maybe it didn’t work.

Tricia December 12, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Please make that Holiday Spirit for Life, Bitches into a shirt. I need it. To wear to my grandma’s house on Christmas day.

Love, love, love that you have pulled off all of this Christmas magic. My friend, you are proof that Santa is real.

WhitneyTompkinsMyers December 12, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I have given you the Versatile Blogger Award – the details are in my latest post. Because this is awesome, and I am not an asshole either.

Whitney December 12, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I have given you the Versatile Blogger Award – the details are in my latest post. Because this is awesome and I am not an asshole either.

*My bad on the duplicate comments. Feel free to delete the previous.

Susan December 12, 2011 at 11:47 pm

MODG, this is for you to thank you for all your efforts to bring us together for goodness…

YOU WILL LOVE IT!

S

CourtneyJ December 13, 2011 at 7:28 am

I really can’t thank you enough for starting this awesome thing that spread like wildfire! Because of this, my son is going to have a wonderful Christmas and I have been able to acquire some things I still needed for baby #2 due in just a couple of weeks! My heart is so full of love! I’ve never felt more lucky, more grateful or more like I’ve seen the true meaning of Christmas (displayed on a blog of all places!).

BUT! I’m going crazy waiting for you to post again about whatever new things are happening!! Please hurry! :-)

melissa December 13, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Haha. I came on to say the same thing. I’ve really missed talking about poop.

kate December 13, 2011 at 9:29 am

I have followed this from the start. I’m in Canada and would love to have a subsection or something like that in order to help here. The cost of shipping to the states for clothes is quite costly. Maybe do a separate section for Canadians to Canadians help? Or something like that? I always donate my stuff (have 5 kids) to either a women’s shelter or home for teenage mom’s. Would like a more personal connection for my donations. Also, donating cash to an individual would make me happier than an organization.

Matthew Snope December 13, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Ashleigh helped me out….thanks so much Ashleigh!!! Also great to learn about this blog site and the WANA project :)

Tonya Watkins December 21, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I posted a need that as of yesterday had not been responded to. I get on here to check today and the page is gone. I can’t find my way to the forum and there isn’t a be my friend now on the right side of my page. Can anyone help me?

yusuf yarbrough December 21, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Hello Jen did you get my email?

{ 1 trackback }