Post image for Stuff G wants. Toys and crap for the 1-2 year old. And the slave labor that mom wants.

I would like to begin this post by praying to the gods of plastic and lights, that G does not receive all of these toys. My house is busting out like Jessica Simpson’s shirt in church. Also the ghost in our house sets off the especially creepy toys when I’m home alone in the other room just to F with me. I don’t need that ghost. I’m all set on creepy children laughs, thanks.

Now, the dilemma we face is that we have G’s birthday next week followed directly by Christmas. So I feel like we get one shot to supply the majority of entertainment for this child until he is 2. That is some damn baby pressure if you ask me. I don’t know jack wad about 2 year olds. So I did some research, I spoke with some hippies and I’m going to ask you as well. But here is our list. It’s long and in charge. That’s what she said.

G is just about to walk. He’s like so active it’s crazy. He just wants to move everywhere and fast. I’m so lucky that he’s going to be at his peak active RIGHT when it’s about to blizzard our faces off.  And by lucky, I mean black plague type of lucky. So I’m highly interested in things that will allow him to turn our own into his own speedway. This is not ugly. It comes in pink (pleasegetpinkpleasegetpink) and other great colors. Yes please to Santa.

PlaSmart PlasmaCar

So you know how the hot list for kids every year is like some elmo shit or something? This is on the hippie hot list. My hippie friends informed me that this is a must have for the kiddos as they get to be a bit bigger. It’s basically scaffolding for the kids. So you can be like, hey kid, change that lightbulb stat! Or, hey kid, those windows aren’t going to wash themselves. Ok, no. They are for your kid to “help”. You know the kind of  help that is like, throw the bowl of chopped onions on your head and dump the bowl of flour down your pants kind of help. But really, it’s safe and hippie kids love it.

Little Partners – Learning Tower

As I mentioned, it’s freeze your face season. We need as MANY ways to get out of the house and burn on nap points as possible. Lots of nap points means long naps. So we want gift certificates to gymboree so we can go all the freaking time and roll around and dance and play and bop and whatever else it is kids with the energy of 50 Red Bulls do.

I asked a friend what to ask for as he got a little older and she said DEF table and chairs. Duh, for baby dinner parties, obv. Apparently kids need mini furniture to live their lives. Who knew? But isn’t this one ADOR? I LOVE it and want it so million bad. I mean G wants it. He totally does.

Child’s Round Table and 4 Stools Set

Ok fair warning: we’re BIG Melissa and Doug fans. For those of you who don’t know this awesome brand, they are all toys that are wooden without lights and sound. Before you go eye rolling on me again, imagine a world without your house screaming THE WHEELS ON THE BUS GO BLAHBLAHBLAH BEEP BEEP BOING BOING LET’S DANCE AND SING BZZZZ. Yeah, exactly. You’ll be a hippie too. This is another toy that was recommended to me for the closer to 2 year old. And let’s face it, G will be facing the eastern window in his beret and smock painting the sunrise for 4,000 dollars. These Learning Mat Crayons are also on his list to create his works of genius.

Melissa & Doug Deluxe Standing Easel

This is an etsy shop of kids clothes that I die for. I mean it’s more than I ever feel like spending on kids clothes, but for something special, like a military raid, I’d be down.

This is our big ticket Christmas item that actually isn’t all that expensive, but the thing we’re really hoping that G gets. The boy is obsessed with all things kitchen. He just wants to sit in the kitchen all damn day, even when no one is there. He drags around his spatula and tupperware and makes a whole thing of it. I was told that this kitchen is the one to get because the knobs turn and that is where it’s at for babies.

Melissa & Doug Cook’s Corner Wooden Kitchen

Mellissa and Doug also sell a ton of different food packs for the kitchen. Did I mention that they also support asians.

Melissa & Doug Playtime Veggies

And then you obviously need the pots and pans to cook everything. Mom needs a break. I’m expecting souffle.

Melissa & Doug Deluxe Wooden Kitchen Accessory Set

One of you badasses recommended this bad boy to me. It’s Euro which means super weird! Go to the website and check it out. The kids go ape shit on this thing.

Ok I’ll be honest, I’m on the fence about this one. I had a puppet show when I was little and it was like THE best toy of my life. I put on 3000 shows there for anyone who would watch me for 3 seconds. There was the Amanda show, the Magic Amanda show, The Super Song and Dance Amanda show. Actually, there were rarely puppets. But G has a flare for the dramatic and he needs and outlet. They also make a billion ador puppets too. Melissa & Doug Pirate Puppet

Melissa & Doug Deluxe Puppet Theater

Ok you guys recommended this one to me and I am also on the fence about it. But like a million of you said how awesome it is. It’s sort of expensive though and I don’t really get it. But we’ll give it a shot. I think it teaches kids how to break into houses.

Fisher Price Learning Home

Our FAVORITE clothing store for G is 77kids. It’s American Eagle but for punk ass kids. If you want your baby to be a total wannabe hipster like G. You need this store in your life. He MAY have red plaid zipper leggings from the girl’s department. GIFT CARDS.

Another must have from the hippie community. This is a great stroller alternative at the farmer’s market. Also good on halloween. Also good when you’re teaching them how to outrun the cops. You throw them in with your sack of apples and you’re on your freaking way.

Radio Flyer Pathfinder Wagon Red

I have it on good authority that these boots are where it’s at for snow. I’m so overwhelmed with the snow purchases. The suit, the gloves, the hats, the boots. And they have to be different from the regular gloves, coat, hat and boots because they have to be snow proof and water proof and demon proof. So yeah, I’m starting here.

Another reader recommendation. See I do read your comments. Most of them. Whatever. I do. B keeps the house 33 degrees (NOT freezing). So I feel like I need this for my bundle of skin in the crib so he doesn’t freeze out of his diaper. It’s a little pricey but if B can go on saving his 3 dollars and 64 cents every month on heat, IT WILL BE WORTH IT.

Baby Deedee Sleep Nest

Have I told you how OVER high chairs I am? OVER THEM. They are foul foul disgusting pieces of food crust. This bad boy just hooks onto the table. We’re big on all eating together at the same time with G, so this will make him feel like more part of the dinner. It travels well too.

Inglesina 2010 Fast Table Chair, Marina

B is in charge of bath time. G told me that B’s routine is getting stale and he needs to jazz it up a bit. Amazon says kids love this. And look at it…obviously asian made. Ok. Deal.

Yookidoo Flow ‘N’ Fill Spout

When I clean the house every Tuesday (YES EVERY TUESDAY) G just wants to help. He carries his little spray bottle and rag around with me and sweeping is his favorite part. Well, he also really loves the vacuum. But he’s getting this. I could use the help.

Push Broom

And there you have it. My toy list and recommendations for 1-2 year olds. Although what the hell do I know? I really do these post to get YOUR recommendations. So give it to me, what else do I need for my little monster?

And this concludes the holiday edition of STUFF WE WANT.

Go materialism,

POSTED IN: babies,Stuff I like

Krista November 30, 2011 at 10:44 am

You pretty much have it covered. Easels are great, but you can get a good one at Ikea for $15. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=easel. I definitely recommend the wagon. My husband uses ours to tote the two kids around any chance he gets. He is anti-stroller. The puppet theater looks like it will get destroyed by a two year old. Probably better to put that on your 3-4 year old list. Kitchens are great around this age. I researched the sh*t out of them last year and ended up with the Step 2 Lifestyle Deluxe. http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=step+2+deluxe+kitchen&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3189440732164202168&sa=X&ei=2E7WTsaeKsipiALUnq2dDA&ved=0CIwBEPMCMAE#ps-sellers. I really wanted to avoid the big plastic ones, but I read a lot of reviews mentioning the “wood” ones breaking. Who knows. I have never wanted a designated playroom more than when we got this thing, but my kids love it. Things turn, make noise, light up. They love that crap.

Meredith November 30, 2011 at 10:45 am

Get the kitchen, firreal. It’s amazing waste of time. In a brilliant baby way.
The fisher-price house thing – bleh. Ya, she likes it alright, but we got ours as a hand-me-down and I wouldnt have it any other way. These things are a dime a dozen at garage sales for $20. Or Craigslist.
The bathtub thing looks awesome too. As does the learning tower, but our cheapasses will stick with our dining room chairs. What? They have sidearms.

Skooks November 30, 2011 at 4:57 pm

We have a wooden play kitchen that was made by *I think* Kidcraft. Anyway . . . it’s hands down the number one most played with toy for both of my kids (now 2 and 4), and it’s been around for several years already. Definitely a solid investment.

Meredith December 6, 2011 at 6:54 pm

us too. kidkraft kitchen. I scoured CL for months to score that bad boy. but if I hadn’t found it, i was about to blow the $150-200. It’s worth it AND it retains it’s value (read: resell on CL for 60% the cost.)

Abby November 30, 2011 at 10:47 am

MODG, I must know where you purchased your Christmas tree skirt. I have been searching high and low for one that matches my ornaments and shizz.

Pickle November 30, 2011 at 10:47 am

The Melissa and Doug shopping cart is AWESOME. My kiddo loves it, although it may get more use once G starts walking. I love their stuff. The stacking/nesting blocks are nice too.

meg November 30, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I 2nd the M&D shopping cart. My son loves the gator clacked push toy, still, & he’s 2 & has been walking for a year+.

Andrea November 30, 2011 at 10:51 am

That Learning Home How to Do A Break-In Real Quick thing you posted is for real. Kids go gaga over it. My kids never had it, but I’ve seen kids of all ages who can fit through the dorway play with this thing like it’s 1999. Get it.

Marissa November 30, 2011 at 3:37 pm

We have played with this before at a friends house too and my daughter loved it when she was like 7 months old! I tried looking at consignment sales for it (kept my eye out) and will continue. Warning: it is big, and bulky. That’s all. I want it for my B also but where would we put all this crap?!

Betsy November 30, 2011 at 10:52 am

We bought my son the plasma car for his 2nd bday and he LOVES it! The really cool thing is that it holds up to like 250 lbs so you can go on it with him and its actually really fun if you go down a hill. I would suggest a helmet as my kid (now 3 yrs old) falls off of it all the time.

Michelle November 30, 2011 at 10:55 am

Tools like look like daddy’s but are for baby……there is a whole Home Depot section in ToysRUs…..get them…..your son will love you….my guy just turned 2 this month and he likes to go around and “fix” things with them….I mean my son who goes nonstop will sit at his table and “fix” his Thomas Trains with a plastic wrench for like 30 minutes……We got all ours at a garage sale…..they def don’t have to be new, just de-contaminated (aka bleach water)

amanda November 30, 2011 at 1:28 pm

we have the huge ass home depot work area thing. my 2 year old LOVES it, but he loves the hammer a little too much. he beats the dog, walls, tables, etc. he put 12 million dents in the drywall by the bench that my husband had to fix it. good looking out, home depot.

meg November 30, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Tool boxes are another! We have 2: theM&D & the Green Toys ones. The Green toys 1 is way better!

Theresa November 30, 2011 at 10:59 am

I like the other bathtub toy by the same company – it has stacking boats and it sprays a million different ways. It’s a great way to get some water in the kid’s face when he hits the point that he doesn’t like water dumped on his head anymore.

I say “meh” to the bouncy pony. Every time we go to a play date, none of the kids want to play with it, but the mom’s just keep putting their kid on it in hopes that they’ll get that cute photo of them bouncing around.

The Learning Tower seems a little over the top and takes up SO much room. Just wait until your kid’s old enough and set him on a dining room chair. It’s not like he’s unsupervised in the tower.

Another recommendation – yeah, all that stuff seems great, but once it’s in your house, your kid will love it for a month and then never touch it again. We have so many big things taking up space right now that he’s already bored with a year later (a slide, a kitchen, basketball goal, etc). If you don’t have a lot of space, chose wisely b/c it won’t be their favorite toy for long.

I can’t stress this enough for an almost 2 year old – magnetic train set. It’s like toddler crack! The Thomas stories seriously suck (everyone’s mean and cranky), and the set is expensive, but Toys R Us sells the same basic thing (without the train faces) for less.

I also recommend a water/sand table for the summer. It’s fun to put out on the back deck and let them play for hours while I supervise (ie: read a magazine).

Kim November 30, 2011 at 11:06 am

Radio Flyer Scoot ‘N Zoom. Bought it for my daughter’s first birthday and she has played with it everyday since (she’s about to be two). Best $25 bucks ever spent on a toy.

Carla November 30, 2011 at 11:09 am

Okay, I have a few things to say. Number one the picture of G on the sidewalk is officially the cutest thing I’ve seen in a while. Number two, I feel you hard core on the Xmas birthday mashup, my son will turn two, two days after Jesus’s big day! Lastly, this is a great list but I wanted to warn you that I bought that yookiddo water thing and it totally broke after about two weeks :(

Lisa November 30, 2011 at 11:16 am

They also make an umbrella for the wagon, it clips on and is bendable and all that jazz. Just FYI.

Claire November 30, 2011 at 11:39 am

Thanks for the list! My baby boy turns 1 on Christmas Day so I have been struggling to come up with twice the number of gifts. One thing that our little one loves is BOOKS! There will be a lot of new board books and interactive book toys under the tree :)

MODG November 30, 2011 at 3:35 pm

yes definitely books. I always forget those damn things. I remember the broom, but not the books.

Stef November 30, 2011 at 11:49 am

The other thing I LOVE from Melissa & Doug are their puzzles. My son (who is almost a year and half) loves them – absolutely cannot get enough. Plus their cheap – he’s getting 4 more for christmas. I got a ton of stuff for him to burn off energy since it is also very cold where we live but another positive, he gets tired trying to figure out how to put them back together. And as you noted already they are fabulous because mommy can drink a glass of wine and watch the VS fashion show without hearing “BATTER UP, WOW YOU GOT A HOMERUN,LALALALALALLAALAL”

Here’s the link – just in case.

caroline November 30, 2011 at 11:54 am

Hours of fun. And my kid still plays with it sometimes and he is 2 1/2. Obvioulsy he is gifted.
cg

shelby November 30, 2011 at 11:55 am

You HAVE to get the PlasmaCar! I got one for my daughter when she was 3 and she still plays on it at 9! My son is just a month older than G and he’s already trying to get in on the PlasmaCar fun! The deal sealer on this awesome toy: Check out the weight limit, YOU CAN RIDE IT TOO! So freakin’ fun!

Sara November 30, 2011 at 11:59 am

I would wait until next year for the Rody. We have one with the base for my 18 mo. old and it is okay. The problem is that there really isn’t anything for him to hold to while he is bouncing or rocking on it. I am sure he will love it eventually, but for right now, he prefers his plain, old rocking horse.

Love the kitchen, love this one even more, but is way more expensive. http://www.rosenberryrooms.com/154-all-in-one-play-kitchen.html

I really want a table and chairs for my son, but have no idea where to put it… Don’t we want backs on our chairs though?

This is a really fun toy too. http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2053&e=product&pid=33051 Totally buy it on the fisher price website though. Amazon is way more expensive for the exact same product.

I am not sure about the sleep nest thingy. Maybe for a kid that can’t stand or walk. Isn’t G going to be falling all over the place in his crib when he tries to stand up and stuff?

I would get a small water table, but stay away from the sand table. It is such a pain in the ass.

Lastly, I don’t get the boot things. Do they go over regular shoes? I have never seen those before. They really work??

Colleen November 30, 2011 at 12:07 pm

we LOVE the Rody horse at our house! Liam falls off of it 10 times a day, but he doesn’t seem to mind cause he’s having so much fun. He also just got a tool set with a drill that actually drills and he pretty much loves his life.

Debbie November 30, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Hey, guess what – I just got this Groupon in my inbox today for one of those bouncy horse/creature/shapes. See? http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-jumping-balls

But they aren’t the same brand as the Rody horse. I think they might be cooler because A) There’s a DINOSAUR option with really tiny arms, and B) There is also a Hot Dog option.

Totally do not get that hot dog.

rae November 30, 2011 at 12:42 pm

most importantly, what did B and G get YOU for YOUR BIRTHDAY!?!

MODG November 30, 2011 at 3:38 pm

i got the JCREW WATCH BITCHES. i’m so rad.

melissa November 30, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Baby Dinner Parties????!!!!! OMG, my ovaries just screamed. I don’t have any babies, but I want baby dinner parties!!!

Danielle November 30, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I just got that Inglesina chair for my 7.5 month old. Even at almost 24# she’s too small/flimsy for regular high chairs at restaurants, and I wanted this to make holiday meals at the grandparents easy. It works great and is super easy to put up/take down. Love it.

Lindsey November 30, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I recommend this wagon over the radio flyer. We have it, and yes it’s bigger, but it fits two so a friend or a sibling. Has seatbelts, detachable umbrella, and, AND a cooler!!!!!!! Stroll around the block with your beer on board??? YES PLEASE!!! Also has like 4 cup holders, you know, for the more sophisticated people that drink wine from a solo cup. The side also lets down so babies can tailgate. (I guess you could use the cooler for food to take your baby on a picnic.)

Jilly-J's Mom November 30, 2011 at 2:19 pm

K that thing looks freakin awesome, but I LOLed imagining myself pulling that down the street, cars driving by… It’s like pulling a damn pavilion :)

Lindsey November 30, 2011 at 3:26 pm

HAHAHAHA!!! It does kinda look like that in the picture, but I swear it’s not that bad. And we never use the umbrella anyway. And you won’t care what you look like after your 3rd or 4th beer from THE COOLER!!!!!!!

Marissa November 30, 2011 at 3:34 pm

This wagon does look seriously awesome! We already have the Radio Flyer one but with the little attachment on the back for the extra $10. We are happy with the Radio Flyer one, but, had I seen this other Little Tykes one, I may have re-considered….

Alex November 30, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Oh so many things I could say about this post.

My daughter turned one in October and can freaking walk up and down the stairs by herself so when I say I know an active kid, trust me.

My mom bought her a play kitchen for her birthday and she basically forgot that she owns any other toys, it’s all she plays with. Which is fine considering I have my spatulas and baking pans back. She pretends to stir food in the pots and pans that came with it, and then give everyone a bite of her imaginary meals. I highly suggest G gets a kitchen.

Also, Sydney loves my swiffer. Guess who cleans mommy’s kitchen floor now! She uses the real one because I’m not made of money, however they do make mini versions that really work, so I also suggest G gets that broom on your list.

And finally, I work at American Eagle on the side for some extra cash which means 40% off there AND 77 kids. So you just let me know when you need a free hookup :)

MODG November 30, 2011 at 3:41 pm

a;ksdjf;alksdjf

YES FREE HOOKUP THANK YOU AND LOVE YOU

Leyna November 30, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Radio Flyer Classic Walker Wagon, $85. http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-Classic-Walker-Wagon/dp/B00005AWB5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322676474&sr=8-1

We got it for my son right before he turned one. He loved it as a sturdy walker toy (much better than the plastic collapsing death-trap someone had gifted us). His then 3-year-old sister loved to push him around in it. Since my little guy was a “high-needs” baby/toddler, I welcomed any chance to cook dinner without him strapped to my back in the Moby (used it until he was 18 months, yo), in the hiking pack, or screaming in the Fisher Price Jumperoo. I know you don’t have this perk, but I totally believe in bribing a 3-year-old with candy before dinner so she’ll keep doing laps around the house with baby brother in the wagon.

Fast forward to 2 years later (no more baby… *sniff sniff*)–it’s still in my living room, and I’m okay with that because it doesn’t do damage to my eyeballs like 75% of the other neon-colored obnoxious kid toys. Now that he’s almost 3 and she’s in kindergarten, they can take turns pushing each other. It has doubled as a doll stroller, laundry cart (chores start young around here), grocery cart (would go awesome with the wooden kitchen), surfboard (on carpet only! The sides are removable, and banging the rails together is also fun for baby), and as a “wheelbarrow” when they help me cut basil for dinner from the herb garden outside. I know their imaginations have turned it into so many other things, but those are just the first few I thought of.

There you have it. It’s kind of pricey but it’s well-made, safe, decent to look at and relatively quiet, functional, fun (wheels! Wheels are everything), leaves room for imagination, and it has staying power–which is EVERYTHING with kids. You think your house is busting out now, but it only gets worse. It always gets worse.

Also–the people are right about the Plasma Car. We’ve had one for 3 years and it’s still going strong and getting regular use by both kids and visiting kids. Pour me a glass (bottle) of wine, and I’ve been known to scoot around on our tile floors, too.

Also–the Fisher Price Learning Home. Mine DID love it…too much. After a while, the noises made me want to blow my brains out. The Learning Home is no longer with us.

Jen November 30, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Thanks for creating the Santa list for my child! Some of that stuff looks really cool, some of that stuff we have, and that blue horse things looks weird… but cool at the same time. Have you thought about a play tunnel thing? We don’t have a lot of room at the house but we might also be looking into something like this:

MODG November 30, 2011 at 3:42 pm

we have one from ikea. It now blocks the fireplace.

Jenny November 30, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I am still trying to convince my husband that our son needs a play kitchen. He keeps telling me he is not convinced it would be for our son and that it would be more for me. Whatever. Just because I have the strict requirement that it be red doesn’t mean it’s not for him :)

Have you seen the Molehill version of the Stonz booties? They are half the price and just as good. http://www.tinysoles.com/molehill-sno-moc-celestial-blue.html

Laura D November 30, 2011 at 1:56 pm

i was in love with the yookidoo bath toy last year. got that puppy and 3 baths later…kaput. my handy hubs took that sucker apart and soldered some metal wire back on(legits). it worked one last time. hubs refused a second repair. the problem is if the suction cups slip(duh! wet tub) then that thing gets dunked. or in our case, the suction cups fail during non-bath time…toy crashes down into empty tub making crazy scary noise at 2am on night that husband is out of town. i still love it. if only it had some kind of tub hook. maybe i’ll design that in my “spare” time. love me some MODG!

anne December 2, 2011 at 3:03 pm

The Yorkidoo fountain is a.maz.ing!!!! To the people who had them break, call the company (my friend did and got a new one for free) We played with it for 9+months before it stopped working — I need to see if a change of batteries will do the trick. If you read the reviews on amazon, people admit to buying 2-3 of these because they are SO much fun. If the battery change doesn’t work, I will totally buy another, best bath toy ever!

anne December 2, 2011 at 3:05 pm

P.S. You do have to be really careful to make sure that you set it at the right water level where the directions say, or it will not work for long!

Meredith November 30, 2011 at 2:00 pm
Jilly-J's Mom November 30, 2011 at 2:26 pm

K, that’s funny!

Katie E. December 1, 2011 at 10:17 pm

The only thing not in my living room from that list is dirt, but we play with that outside all the time. Love it!

Lluvia November 30, 2011 at 2:06 pm

The kitchen is a hit! We got our daughter who is 2, a big play kitchen and playfood and all the other toys are forgotten. Her kitchen the burners turn red and make cooking sounds when you put a pot in top. She loves it!

Jess November 30, 2011 at 2:23 pm

We never had the bouncy Rody horse-donkey, but I just got this in my email – isn’t it the same? and only $29! http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-jumping-balls?utm_medium=email&utm_source=channel-goods_deals&sid=11033441&user=75320dc4dae338bccafdb7622360bbdab37cc542a835d6b832d7ece671d1d876&utm_campaign=11033441&s=body&d=gg-jumping-balls&p=11&c=deal_product-name

Also, I interviewed at M&D a few years ago – they are crazy. Like batshit crazy. Has nothing to do with the toys and the fact that kids love them, but interesting that the company is cult like. I didn’t drink the cool aid – opted to leave mid interview process in shock.

Casey November 30, 2011 at 2:38 pm

OK… so Eli is 6 months older than G. For his birthday, we got him a broom… LOVES IT. He’s getting a wagon for X-mas. Also… we have one of those high chair thingies. Someone handed it down and I thought I would never use it. Wrong. It’s amazeballs. I pretty much just left it in my car all summer and every time we were at the pool/beach/park/wherever I’d clip it to a picnic table and we’d eat lunch/snack/whatever. I also thought about ditching the real high chair and clipping that to the table.

I don’t know if anyone’s mentioned this yet and it’s probably totes obvi, BUT. After he opened gifts at b-day & x-mas, we put like half of them in our closet. I’d give him a new toy like every month and it kept stuff fresh. I’m not with it enough to rotate toys, so this works for us :)

Tiantian November 30, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Look at the asians on the horsies!

Stacey November 30, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Not sure how much the pack of veggies cost, but I’ve seen tons of felt veggies/fruits/kitchen gear on etsy, in case you’re looking for something a little more home-made?

Erin B. November 30, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I do not understand those boots. They look like they only work if you have a pegleg or something!

ashlie November 30, 2011 at 8:33 pm

The drawstrings tighten to provide more of a customized fit. They’re pretty awesome!

Elizabeth November 30, 2011 at 3:45 pm

The list for my 14 month old is similar. Is B handy? Here are building plans to build the Little Helper Tower if he is. The benefit of this one is that it folds flat. The other one does not. http://ana-white.com/2010/12/helping-tower.html

You need some chunky puzzles on that list too. We have the M&D one: http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-First-Shapes-Jumbo/dp/B000EK59H0/ref=pd_sim_t_51

Also check into water tables. Come summer you can sit him out on the back deck and let him go to town splashing away.

Marissa November 30, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Since we have the same issue as you w/the Bday/Xmas situation, I also have been trying to figure out things to suit us for the next YEAR (omg). I setup a list on myregistry.com (amazon also has wish lists, so does wishpot.com) but so far I like myregistry.com the best, so far.
As well as books, I tried to forecast to summer/nice weather time too:
Melissa & Doug puzzles with those big knob things
Water table (water table only for next spring/summer – I keep hearing that a sand/water table mix is really REALLY messy)
Picnic table for outside on the deck when it is nice (http://www.littletikes.com/kids-toys/endless-adventures-easy-store-jr-play-table-with-umbrella)
Bath toys (was hoping you’d have something I could steal from your list!) – just 1 thing so far
Membership to Longwood gardens (their water area is fun – B loved it when she wasn’t quite walking yet)

Just my 2 cents. I shared the list when people ask….

PS. We have an older kitchen set that someone gave us, and B already loves it. She just pushes the pieces around though. Was thinking of waiting til next year to get her a bigger/nicer kitchen set when she turns 2. Decisions, decisions….looking forward to hearing how you like this one, assuming you get it.

Also heard that those ball pits kids LOVE. I just am not sure I am ready to deal with 100 small balls all over my house….(ha ha ha). Get one of your friends to get one then you can just visit and use theirs and not have to worry about all of the ball mess ;)

Marissa November 30, 2011 at 4:07 pm

I wrote something and now the page won’t reload. wtf? anyways. I’ll summarize. Please delete the other post if it comes through.
Since we are in the same boat… wanted to share a few things. I signed up for myregistry.com (also amazon and wishpot have lists too but this one you can add stuff from all over and use a nice button on your browser to add things = easy). People ask what she wants/needs and I send them the link. Even have a password on it. Neato.

Some random things we added:
1. water table (not sand/water table since I hear those were super ridiculous. Will get separate sandbox when she doesn’t eat sand… one day?)
2. Melissa & doug puzzle knob things
3. books, books.
4. picnic table for outside. Little Tykes one with an umbrella.
5. membership to longwood gardens – their water area / kids area is fun – B enjoyed it when she wasn’t quite walking on her own yet about 1.5 months back
6.Some bath toys (was hoping you’d have some bath stuff on this list so I could steal the idea!)
7.that cozy Coupe red car. I keep hearing how much kids like them. No idea where we’re gonna put all this stuff….

We didnt add but I hear are great:
1. those ball pits — can’t imagine dealing with 100 loose balls in my house right now. Get a friend to buy one and go play at their house = no mess @ your house ;)
2. (bigger) kitchen set — someone gave us an older pieced kitchen which B now pushes around b/c she doesn’t quite get it. am debating when to get a bigger/nicer one but was thinking to save it when she turned 2 next year instead. am curious to hear how G likes his… and how you like the one you MAY or may not get!

thx for sharing G’s list ;)

Marissa November 30, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Sorry addendum: IMO: waiting on the easel til next Bday/Xmas. Just b/c its big and bulky (and like you said, closer to age 2). And am waiting on the table/chair set also til next year. In the meantime, am getting her one of those big cushy chairs that everyone loves (like Pottery Barn or other spot) or bean bag. :)

meg November 30, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Totally agree about the easel! Your house will thank you for it, b/c there’s no way in hell a 1yo will understand that the crayons, etc only stay on the easel. I’ve learned the hard way that any art requires my son to be strapped down!

Jamie November 30, 2011 at 11:39 pm

i bought balls and dumped them in the playpen. no ball spillage! :)

Kelly November 30, 2011 at 4:08 pm

My oldest daughter turns 2 in January and has a table and chairs. We do everything at it… Color, puzzles, snacks, etc… the one you picked out is so cute but I would go with one with backs on the chairs… My daughter likes to put her legs under her and do all kinds of crazy stuff while coloring and I could see her totally falling off if it didn’t have a back rest!! Just a thought!!

Skooks November 30, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Amen . . . the mini table and chairs is always a hit with the little people. My kids do everything at that table too. Ours have backs too.

Devon @ Green House, Good Life November 30, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Ohmigosh, my husband and I have given our nephews the first two. (Our goal is to give them really quality hippie gifts that they’ll love and then maybe feel conflicted about since they’re so NOT hippies.) I think our favorite has been the Green Toys recycling truck (made of recycled milk jugs). Everything from Green Toys is awesome.

meg November 30, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Love love love Green Toys! My son loves his recycling truck too!

Laura November 30, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Dude, Ikea has an easel for $15. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50021076/

Megan M. November 30, 2011 at 4:33 pm

So, I’m kind of an expert on toddlers. No really, people actually pay me to know stuff about toddlers. I’m a pediatric developmental therapist (which is a fancy title that means “someone who teaches babies with special needs to play with toys and often gets her hair pulled by screaming toddlers). Here is the list of toys that I recommend for 18-24 months since you seem to have 12-18 covered.

The Little People Toys. I especially like the farm because you can use it to help learn animal in addition to endless ways to play pretend. It does make noise, but I never put batteries in ours, so my daughter is none the wiser.

Puzzles- Here are a few that I like:

pegboard and pegs (I have only ever met one baby who didn’t like this toy and I meet A LOT of babies.)

wooden nesting cubes (M&D offer an awesome set).

Monster Bowling (another M&D)-

Velcro fishing game-

Lift the Flap books are great for this age. I really like Toes, Ears and Nose and Where’s Spot. Please, Baby, Please is a really fun book that has lots of action pictures (sleep, slide, cry, eat) and I’ve never met a kid who didn’t like it! Also, Spike Lee wrote it so that makes it cool.

Maggie November 30, 2011 at 5:13 pm
Maya November 30, 2011 at 5:22 pm

My kids (1 & 4) LOVE their play kitchen – it’s been a steady hit for several years now. Also, a kids table and chair set is awesome bc they can eat & do artsy stuff there. Now that my older son is learning to write, he sits at the table practicing all the time. It’s very sweet.

Karen November 30, 2011 at 5:31 pm

We had the plasma car, the wagon and the high chair replacer ( If orgot what it was called, this works) and they are so badass. Especially the plasma car. My daughter is 8 and still rides it. Us adults do to. After a few martinis. Again, badass. (And hers is pink!)

my favorite and my best- MFAMB to you November 30, 2011 at 7:36 pm

fiona had 87% of that shit. that house thing..yes. double yes.
ikea has more affordable kids kitchen sets. do that instead. they are cuter too. none of that primary red and blue bullshit.

MODG November 30, 2011 at 8:15 pm

ikea’s knobs don’t turn. BUDGET.

julie November 30, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I THINK you mean you can’t link to ikea like you can to Amazon to get referral $$. I kind of feel like you should tell people you get credit/$ when they click on those links and purchase things. Sorta like when bloggeers have to tell when they get something for free and are doing a review on it. I feel like so many bloggers’ “holiday wish list” posts are a total sham this year because they are only linking to things they can find on amazon. I get wanting to make money off of your blog, but I think you should be more honest with your readers.

MODG November 30, 2011 at 8:49 pm

someone isn’t a very loyal reader are they?
in case you’re too lazy to click on that too, I’ll quote it for you: “It’s that time again. Time for me to make some dollaz. If you didn’t know things like the sky is blue, I make commission from these posts. But I want you to know that I actually do order this much shit from amazon for one reason: Amazon Mom. ”

And just to be clear, I don’t make money from 77kids, gymboree, etsy or the MANY other sites I list.
But thanks. Thanks for your time.

MODG November 30, 2011 at 8:56 pm

AND ALSO
I fully research all of these items and I take offense that you think I wouldn’t. We went to damn ikea to test the damn kitchen and G was like wtf? I can’t turn the knobs. And he broke one off. So THAT is why it’s not on my list.
And also, bad day to F with me. I just got my first period in almost 2 years and I’m ready to tear someone up. Congratulations on that.

Sheri November 30, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Modg win.

julie December 1, 2011 at 10:15 am

I’m sorry, I guess I hadn’t read that part and I am wrong for that. My sincere apologies.

But, if you’re looking for feedback (and you don’t seem like the kind of person who is, but I will give it to you anyhow), I used to be an extremely loyal reader. I used to get so excited whenever I’d see your posts in my reader because they were witty and original. Lately, your tone has changed drastically. You actually seem rude to your readers and completely unappreciative of the fact that people give up their time to read your blog. Your posts have become generic and carry a condescending tone. The one exception to this lately was the “we are sad” post about Penn State. It was beautiful, truthful, honest, and didn’t include you calling your readers idiots, morons, bitches or refusing to tell them where you bought something for fear it might sell out (when you already have one). It’s not that you’re crude, because even Maxie from “I hate so much”, who was one of the crudest bloggers I ever read (and loved), was always incredible to her readers. From other former readers I’ve talked to, you have alienated a lot of people. Of course you will always have the commenters who will tell you you’re wonderful no matter what (and overuse the words glitter and sparkles simply because you do and they want to seem cool too), but I am trying to give you honest feedback. If your blog could get the vibe it back that it used to have, I would again really enjoy reading it and I think a lot of others would as well. You are a great writer with great stories to tell and I’d enjoy hearing them again.

MODG December 1, 2011 at 10:37 am

Julie,
I would normally take your advice into consideration. However when it takes a nasty comment from you before you getting to really why you’re pissed off, you lose your credibility with me. I got news for you, I’ve always been rude to readers. It’s my style. I’m also rude to a lot of other people. And no one in this whole wild world of internet has to read my blog. That’s the beauty of blogs. THEY ARE FREE FOR YOU. But they are not free for me. I have a baby now and as much as I’d love to hash this out with you for 7tybillion more comments, it’s not worth it. Because there are people who like me and people who don’t. And I expect the people who don’t to move along. And I’m ok with that. But the people who stomp their feet and say YOU CHANGED YOU CHANGED. Damn straight I changed. I have a baby and life if very different from the witty girl who had time to discuss the importance of pants. I love that girl too but people change. And believe it or not, behind these computer screens is a real life person who writes all of this, every week, without fail for 3 years.
But I’m sorry I’m unappreciative of you.

H's Mom December 1, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I just had to comment on Julie’s comment. “From other former readers I’ve talked to, you have alienated a lot of people.” made me laugh out loud! I think you have a hater’s club out there somewhere, which is sort of awesome/funny.

I love both the people that think you care they don’t like you, AND the people that want you to like them so bad they blow glitter and sparkles up your ass (yay! some random sarcastic girl in Amish country likes me! I can live another day)

Geez, woman, don’t you know we are paying a lot to subscribe to this very exclusive internet blog, and demand that you cater to all of us with exactly the kind of writing we expect?

I don’t even have PMS – I am this bitchy all the time.

Katie E. December 1, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Julie,

As a SAHM, I am not giving up time to read this blog. I choose to take my precious free time to read this blog. I enjoy it. Amanda takes time to put together two well written, illustrated blogs per week. I appreciate the effort and time it takes to do that, all to entertain some strangers. I also appreciate knowing that there are other women who feel the same way I do about a lot of things (amber teething necklaces being the exception). I appreciate reading what the other moms have to say in the comments. I rarely use the word sparkles unless I am talking about vampires or the glitter my baby just ate. This is a happy fun place. If you want to wear your mean girl panties, why don’t you put them on and strut around in the real world in them? Why bother to get nasty on a light, fun blog? Aren’t there better things to do with your time? Are you offended by Amanda getting commission for reviewing products? Why? Doing that is work and it helps to keep her at home with her baby. And sweetheart, when it comes to this woman’s income, or any blogger’s income, you don’t really have a dog in the hunt now do you? Why don’t you just relax, unknot your underoos, and have some cocoa? It’s the Christmas season!

Meghan November 30, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Good news. I hate crap in my house too. We just ordered the apple green learning tower…with the easel attachment…and the playhouse kit attachment. Boom. 3 in 1. No extra easel or puppet show.

Oh and my daughter turns 2 two weeks after Christmas. And I’m due in Jan. Oh and my husband was born Dec 18. F me for birthday/christmas all at once. I know how to plan presents for the whole year.

nmk November 30, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Hearts, unicorns and rainbows to the list. I will be referring to it for Christmas and C’s first birthday in March! Thanks for doing all of the work for me!!
I just have one really important question….how are you keeping G from pulling the tree over?? We are waiting to put our tree up b/c C literally pulls himself up on anything and everything. Last week he pulled a gate and a chair over, no injuries. But I’m terrified of the tree falling over!!

modg November 30, 2011 at 9:15 pm

we had to put it in a baby free room :(

nmk November 30, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Um yeah…my house is going to look more like a gated community soon….I hate gates!!
P.S. I was the mouth holes dentist issues….how bouts my kick ass dentist who knocked my ass out with max nitrous hit/bruised a nerve and I had pain worse than back labor with pitocin without an epidural…I can say it cuz I did it. At least I got a baby outta labor pain!
and..Sorry about Aunt Flo…I’m terrified she’s coming back soon….It’s been since early ’10!! I don’t miss the ol’ bitch!!
one last thing…Happy Belated Birthday…I celebrated my 4th 29th, or 12th 21st today…

Leyna December 1, 2011 at 12:32 am

I had a baby like this, and I’ve kept him alive for almost 3 whole years now. Anchor EV. ER. Y. THING. Bookcases, TVs, Christmas trees. You buy a big roll of picture-hanging wire, drywall anchors, and eyehooks, and you strap everything down (or to the wall). Screw those store-bought childproofing kits–you need to get industrial strength supplies from Home Depot and make it happen.

Katie E. December 1, 2011 at 10:36 pm

word! you can fill in any holes you leave in the wall when they are older.

meg November 30, 2011 at 9:46 pm

All I have to say is good luck with the wagon. My son would never stay in a wagon nor would he now at age 2. I think someone recommended 1 with a seatbelt, that may work better.

And the learning tower is asking for trouble. Aside that is may get pushed around the house, it will eventually get used to get into bad stuff. I can just see my 2yo pushing it up to the counter to get onto the counter & then doing who knows what. We have a little slide in our house b/c he’s very active & he uses it to reach things.

After the walking comes & he’s good at it, next comes the climbing & NOTHING is safe! My son pushes our kitchen chairs around, has moved end tables, etc. We had to move our coffee table into the garage b/c he’d keep climbing on it, standing & dancing! He’s even done all of that on our kitchen table. I have video proof!

I got my son truly non-toxic, not the crayons crap that claims to be. It’s called Eco-finger paint by Creative Play the natural way. I got it from & highly suggest Ecomom.com for the true hippies! And to reiterate from a comment I made under someone else’s post, I highly suggest art to be done strapped down in a chair. Otherwise, make sure your crayons are washable. My floor is currently covered b/c Dad didn’t strap him in, so is the dishwasher, doors, random furniture, etc.

My son recently has been into his Cloud B Sea Turtle night light. He loves to turn it on every night & when we snuggle he points to the moon & stars.

My son is also obssessed with cars. We have a million Hot Wheels everywhere. But his main LOVE that have kept him occupied all summer, South Florida’s the opposite inside all summer, are the Shake & Go cars from the movie Cars. These are especially fun for advanced crawlers & early walkers to chase after; thus, can be exhausting. He’s had these for well over a year & they are always a default toy. Cheapest place is typically Target. Not very hippie, but I don’t believe in denying my child of everything. He’s got some Eco/green toys & some regular ones too. Poor kid didn’t get a single piece of candy from Halloween b/c of GMOs, instead he got a toy.

I’m sure you’ll really start to see G’s boy preferences coming out within the next year. I used to think a lot of stuff was encouraged & society influenced, but my son has taught me otherwise. It’s pretty amazing to see them start to grow into little boys!

meg November 30, 2011 at 9:48 pm

It was supposed to say Crayola crap! Stupid auto correct!

Bryna November 30, 2011 at 10:03 pm

The Melissa and Doug kitchen was our santa gift to our 2 year old last year. Best purchase ever. Must get the four food groups set that goes with it. Also, THE BEST time killer when the weather is bad is a sensory bucket. Just get a bunch of bags of dry beans and dump them into a tupperware container with a lid. Give G some cups and shovels and let him go to town. Google different sensory buckets/tables/pails… it does something jazzy in their brain. And hippies love it. And kids freaking love it. You may or may not have to fish dry beans out of their noses, and I may or may not be speaking from experience here. I plan on making a few different ones for my kid for the winter time.

Jaci November 30, 2011 at 10:18 pm

So, I’ve never commented before, but here I go….
1. thank you for making me feel more hippy because I either have most of these things, or want them.
2. The Yookiddo is so much fun, my daughter loved it. Emphasize the “ed” because it doesn’t work anymore. If you buy it, buy more than one. I don’t think it’s meant to be KEPT in the tub, because this BATH TOY had WATER damage. Notthatimbitter.
3. Having an almost 2 year old, and seeing the amount of toys that pile up, my new motto is: if it doesn’t look cute in my house, or can’t be put in a basket/closet, it doesn’t belong in my house. So, if it’s big, it has to be wooden or look cute/vintage. That being said, the learning home really is a fun toy. We don’t have one, but we go to a play group with one, and it IS fun. But, she is only 22 months and doesn’t know that she is missing it at home. Also, if it costs that much, it needs to look cute in my house. My suggestion is find a friend with one. But, if you get it, G WILL love it. They all do. Ages 6 and under.
4. I don’t have a suggestion for toys, but if you sign up to Zulilly, there are TON of new ideas (clothes, too) everyday for a super discount. Right now, they are doing 12 days of Melissa and Doug! But order soon, because it can take awhile to actually receive it.
Good luck!

I'llSleepWhenThey'reGrown November 30, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Wooden puzzles, hard-paged books, and a rocking horse (We have a stuffed rocking dog, actually). I have a much smaller house than you so instead of the small dining set, I just have a stool at the coffee table.

I want to get my 19 mo the little playschool plastic slide set – but we don’t have snow in Texas, so don’t know how soon G would be able to play with something like that. There are indoor fabric tunnels and tents that would be pretty fun if you had a big, open room. Then they fold up neatly and you have your room back.

ZDub November 30, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Yes on everything Melissa and Doug. If you don’t buy G that sushi set I will, a gift from his asian relatives.

Also, that kitchen tower? Total NO. Zoe fell out of one at a friends house when she was two. Yes, I was watching her. Kids are fast like ninjas and cats.

Kate November 30, 2011 at 11:09 pm

We have the Fisher Price Learning Home for our 9 month old. It is pretty awesome, and I don’t even like most of this baby crap. I think it’s fun to turn the light switch on and off and shut the door in his face. Yeah, I know. A friend just gave me hers and I had no idea how awesome she was for that until I was walking thorugh Toys R Us and saw the damn thing sitting all smug and suuuuuper expensive for a plastic toy.

Low December 1, 2011 at 12:04 am

I don’t have any kids, but I was one once, and I have a nephew that’s like 13-something months old and my mom is buying him more presents than she’s buying me this year (not jealous at all, obviously…) Anyways, little man is getting a PlaySkool Sit-N-Spin and a Little Tikes Rocking Horse thing. I remember having both of these when I was little and loving the shit out of them. Bonus – You can steal the horse from Baby and rock on it yourself, I do it all the time.

AbsoluteMommy December 1, 2011 at 2:07 am

We have a radio flyer wagon. Love it! Make sure you get the one with the cup holders for G and the extra basket on the back for you. In the summer we keep the big people drinks back there.
Love your blog
Megan

Kelly December 1, 2011 at 6:34 am

I 2nd the comment about wait on the easel until he’s two. Mine just turned two, and so far isn’t into the easel that we have. Loves to color though, I recommend Color Wonder finger paints & markers.
I also 2nd the comment about wooden train sets. My son LOVES to build the train tracks & make the train go.
Also check out some of the other small toys from Melissa & Doug like the Geometric Stacker, Beginner Pattern blocks, Stacking Train, pound & roll tower, & Take-a-long tool box. And of course any wooden puzzles, you can’t have enough puzzles. Or books, never enough board books.
Mine also has a thing for Mr Potato Head. And race cars.

Have fun!!

Kelly December 1, 2011 at 6:36 am
Kelly December 1, 2011 at 6:42 am

One more thing….when he starts walking(running), pull ups make quicker diaper changes, but I had a hard time finding them in cloth. I have been using these for about seven months now: http://getantsy.com/
And she’ll make them in bamboo if you like bamboo cloth diapers.

Courtney December 1, 2011 at 9:02 am

It is so sad that I have at one time in the past 6 years had almost everything on the list for one or both of my kids.
Learning Home= HOURS OF ENTERTAINMENT. No joke. Both of my kids crawled in and out of that little door all day long. And rang the doorbell.
Learning Tower, pricey but worth every single penny. I would put that bad boy in front of the sink with a little soap and my daughter would “wash” dishes. Again, entertained her for hours and it keeps kids safe.
I also had the fast table chair. Never used it. I was just convinced it was going to come crashing down and kill a kid. Couldn’t do it. I bought a “my little seat travel high chair”.
And of course all things Melissa and Doug are perfection.

SpontaneousMom December 1, 2011 at 10:55 am

The bouncy bulls on are Groupon- one day left! Go get one- I did. Added extra fun bonus- these things support up to 150lbs- so that means adult fun too! LOL

Lindsey December 1, 2011 at 11:07 am

Oh Julie (above), suck it up and be a big girl. You are just saying those things out of embarassment that MODG put you in your place about the whole Amazon commission thing. JS. GLITTER GLITTER GLITTER SPARKLE SPARKLE SPARKLE.

MODG December 1, 2011 at 11:20 am

And why does Julie get to insult my readers but I don’t? Seems unfair.

Lindsey December 1, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Because she’s jealous no one is interested in reading her lame ass blog that she probably has somewhere.

Lauren December 1, 2011 at 11:10 am

MODG, I have like half the things on your list (some version). OK maybe more.

Fisher Price Learnign House: Get it. It does make noise, but I got mine like 6 years ago and all of my kids (I have 3) have played with it tons.

Melissa & Doug Easel: Totally rocks. You can probably wait on it for a bit, but it’s awesome.

Meslissa & Doug play food: Totally rocks. Loads of fun. (I have the sushi set and like a million othres). Be sure to get the birthday cake and the pizza set. And the cookies are freaking adorable.

Play kitchen: Get it. It’s really great. But get one with a big fridge. Where else are you going to store all the play food? The one you posted has too small a fridge (that’s where you put the food in those plastic shoeboxes they sell at Target). I have a kidkraft (also wooden). It was cost effective. And importantly, has a giant fridge.

Puppet Theater: I have one, not kidkraft but it’s a wooden one. It rocks. It’s for older kids. I’d say ages 4+.

Table and Chairs: You totally need it. Like now. You know what else you need? A child size arm chair or couch for G to sit on when you watch TV. Kiddie furniture is adorable.

Not on your list, but you totally need a toy vacuum. Seriously. Kids love that.

Elizabeth December 1, 2011 at 1:12 pm

My comment was awaiting moderation and then was deleted? I didn’t think it was offensive or negative in any way…? Hm. Any particular reason, Modg?

Krista December 1, 2011 at 1:38 pm

That happened to me too. I thought maybe it was awaiting moderation because I had two links in it (to Ikea’s easel and a Step 2 kitchen), but now it’s gone.

MODG December 1, 2011 at 2:22 pm

some comments are listed as spam automatically. I have no idea why. Then the spam filter gets emptied. Sorry about that!

Lauren December 1, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Totally wanting the Learning Tower, too–but this tight wad on a tight budget needs a less costly (but still safe) alternative–anyone seen one? Right now we are using the “captain’s chair” (read: has low arms on the sides) from our kitchen table pushed up to the counter top–accident possibly waiting to happen.

How about a small climber for indoors- like this: http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-Endless-Adventures-Castle/dp/B004GXIDYM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322768280&sr=8-2

I’ve seen reviews from others like yourself who live in winterlands (and kids can’t play outdoors all year long like in sunny FL) say they put it inside (spare room?) to keep kids active/occupied.

Elizabeth December 1, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I posted this yesterday but my comment got deleted. A cheaper alternative is to make the learning tower yourself. Google Ana White Learning Tower (I can’t put the link in here because it will probably get deleted like last time). Materials should cost you about $25 (assuming you have the tools already). Good luck!

Molly December 1, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I didn’t read all of the comments, so sorry if anyone else has mentioned this already. But, like 75% of the stuff off your list pops up on Zulily.com every week or so. If you aren’t a member of zulily you need to be! They always have such cute stuff for cheap.

I have a strict NO NOISY TOYS rule in my house. The drive me nuts, & I regift the ones my kids get. For my son’s first christmas (at 7 months old), he got so much crap that we were still pulling out “new” toys at his 2nd birthday. He was the first grandkid on both sides of the family, & they went crazy. Now, when people ask what they can get the kids, I tell them one small toy, books, college money or savings bonds. My son (now 2 1/2) has hundreds in savings bonds, & over a thousand in a fund for college. It has really helped out with the load of kid crap that we bring home from christmas & birthdays. My house couldn’t fit anymore!

Katie E. December 1, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Ahhhh….toys….My oldest just had a birthday, the youngest has a birthday in January. So. Before the season of gift wrap and mayhem we go on a donation spree. Every member of the family fills the trunk of my car at least once with items to donate. The remaining toys get organized in a big way. As in, my G and I label which bin each set of whatevers goes in. It helps me stay sane.

As for good stuff for the kiddos at the age your G and my M are: the radio flyer wagon has wear tested a treat. My oldest and his little friends play with it all the time. I would also recommend a sand and water table for outside in the spring. The kitchen is the best kids toy ever! Baby M. is obsessed with anything with wheels so we will be doing some cars and trains. One thing I would like to point out: almost everything on your list is going to take up a lot of space. If you get the table and chairs, you might not necessarily need the easel, which can be pulled over on top of heads (experience). I definitely recommend getting a table and chairs, we use our often, due to hordes of little people belonging to family and friends coming over. The puppet theater might be a better 2-3 year old gift, but that is just me; I have a small house and hate feeling shut in by kid stuff.

Oh, and to keep the overflow of toys from getting overwhelming, what you can do is put away some of the toys he gets for his birthday after he gets his Christmas stuff. When he gets tired of the Christmas stuff, bring out the birthday stuff again. It works a treat to just keep cycling toys in and out. Happy Christmas-ing!

ColleeninChina December 1, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Ni Hao ModG!

Despite what Julie say about you, I love your blog!! I only discovered it a couple of months ago, but many a day since, it has put a smile on my face or even the occasional outburst of laughter, which causes my husband to say, “what?”. And because of this, I don’t mind being called a bitch or a ho, or whatever else you want to call me (because I know I can be all of those things!). I am an American California-born biatch living in China at the moment (I know, jellie much?? NOT.) So life is not always easy here in Asian-land and I need your blog sometimes just to get thru the day!!

So Re: the toys…that scooter thing is all the rage over here in China and my 2.5 year old has one and he loves it and by love I mean, he wants to ride the damn thing everywhere we go, but his favorite place to ride it is inside our house on our lovely white marble (cuz that’s how asians do it) floors! Also those inflatable donkey things are also all the rage over here and we also have one as well. My G pretends he is a cowboy and it his horse. He owns it. Also, they have Gymboree over here and we go…so there’s another reason you should be jealous of me…Asian Gymboree….uh huh….yeah! So that post a few weeks back about baby Gyms was hilarious because it was so true even here on the other side of the world…Chinese musical theater drop-outs….yep. And coincidentally they have one of those Fisher Price Learning Homes in the lobby at Gymboree here and the kids seem to love it! Although I don’t think I would buy one myself. What we will buy for sure, though, is a play kitchen because my G loves to play in my kitchen also, but we will prob get ours from Ikea (yes they have Ikea in china!) because its cheap and looks cute and not girly. Those high chair things are awesome especially for traveling or when you live in a country where their idea of a high chair is just that, a chair that’s high, but no seat belt…cuz yeah that’s gonna work with a toddler! But that’s only because all the “tiger moms” over here beat their kids into submission and they learn real early not to F with mom or dad and they actually do sit in their chairs that are high like good little girls and boys.

So that’s my opinion about the toys and stuff your G wants and I don’t care if your links do or don’t make you money. If they do, more power to ya! And if they don’t, they should, and thanks for sharing, and if you don’t want to share, then don’t because I get it, it’s annoying when people copy you and sometimes you want to be the only one who has something. I know. But thanks for sharing because it helps me to stay in touch with what’s in and what’s not in the world of American moms and babies while I am living over in this hell-hold…oops did I say that?!?!? So xie xie ni!! (that means thank you very much in chinese) for brightening my day and making me laugh. Merry Christmas ModG (sorry I don’t know how to say that in Chinese)! Keep the sarcastic, rude, name-calling blogs coming!

Oh, and sorry about your period returning…mine came back after 7 months even though I breastfed for 18 months but whatever….and when it did…it was a bloody clumpy murder scene every month because I have (well had, just got it out cuz we are trying for #2) one of those copper IUD’s and that thing makes your periods way worse! I could fill up one of those super duper asian penis-sized tampons in no time!! So I feel your pain. xo

DM's Mommy December 2, 2011 at 5:23 am

I have the Radio Flyer wagon and IT ROCKS! I have used that thing to take both kids trick or treating, around the block for a walk, up and down the street, etc. and they use it too. My son pulls his daughter and the neighborhood kids (he’s pretty strong for nearly 5). It’s definitely worth whatever we paid for it. I wish I had the one with the canopy for sunny days BUT w/e. I still love it without the canopy:) Buy it: best decision ever:)

Rachel Matteis December 2, 2011 at 9:39 am

I recommended the Rody Horse because I am smarter than most people. It’s the balls. Especially when your son starts walking at 8.5 months old (YUP!!!!!), then gets bored with walking by 10 months, but spills like Snooki after a night out when he tries to run. Now he bounces. Quite happily. So suck it.

Darling baby boy also loves that house facade, but for climbing over. F crawling through the door.

Santa is bringing a toddler trampoline to our house this year. Like you, MODG, we need items/classes/J. Crew Matchstick Courduroys/pinot noir to survive the winter months. Best of luck to you, B, and Li’l G.

Gimme some shit.

Natalie December 2, 2011 at 10:44 am

Maybe you’ve already seen these but my daughter loves it! And it’s great as a photo prop and future babies!

Also, to save space in your car there is a GREAT collapsible wagon that is extremely sturdy. We dragged it with a 4 year old, 10 year old and cooler over a hiking trail in the woods. Also has a canopy and folds up nicely!

ed December 3, 2011 at 6:22 pm

We have a Rody horse and def its worth it just to pull out the airpump when you have houseguests and give Rody a little air. His airhole is on his butt. It’s made in Italy by the way.

Jessica December 5, 2011 at 10:38 am

Hi MODG,
You might be interested in what I stumbled across today.

Zulily has the Plasmart on sale for 41.99. Enter shopmom875 for 10% off, as well.

And if that address doesn’t work, you’ll have to find it yourself at Zulily (it’s new today). Oh, and sign-up if you haven’t because there is occasionally some good stuff…if you want to spread some holiday cheer while you’re at it, enter my e-mail to give me $15. ;) See, I didn’t just do this out of the goodness of my heart. Well, I actually did.

-Longtime Lurker

Jessica December 5, 2011 at 10:41 am

Yeah, I meant PlasmaCar…it’s a Monday.

vicky, yes, i'm asian ;) December 5, 2011 at 5:36 pm

first time commenting, and sorry, i didn’t read all the comments so hope this isn’t a repeat… i just ordered the learning tower and wanted to give you a heads up that you can buy attachments for it that turn it into a puppet theater and an easel. since i saw you listed those as separate wish list items, thought that could be useful info :). (space and money saving) xx

Cindy February 13, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I am also obsessed with 77 kids..I love the sneakers G is wearing in the pic above..where are they from?