omg. This is only 1/4th of your questions.

Post image for omg. This is only 1/4th of your questions.

G answers questions too. Above is the answer to “how big is Gavin?” I get that he’s not *really* answering the question, but it’s like freaking amazing adorable. Moving on.

Your questions. I will answer them all. I WILL. It’s almost Thanksgiving My Birthday. And I’m feeling like I need to give back to my readers. The least I could do is answer your damn questions on the button I put on my own blog ASKING FOR QUESTIONS. So here we go.

Julia
Hey! I love, love, loveee your blog. But I always wish that the links you have embedded there opened in new tabs/windows (target=blank), because I don’t want to lose my place, but if I don’t click right away, I forget. What do you think? It’s okay if you want to tell me to go eff myself and keep my ideas to myself.

Julia Roberts,
I don’t want you to go F off. But I’m very tired from my blog redesign. I am also tired from other things in my life. I don’t understand technology. And I don’t feel like learning about this. Honestly you’re all lucky I’m able to post anything at all. Don’t you have some red hair to brush or something?

Courtney
this is totally random, but i saw this and thought of you. :)

Court Snort, that is not random. That is good that your brain automatically thinks of me when you see asian paraphernalia. Next we need to teach your brain to order me stuff.

Brooke
How did your Diva Cup adventure turn out? I want to buy one but I need your opinion first.

Hi Brookey Pants, I still don’t have my period yet. We’re going on almost 2 years people. WHAT WHAT??

Sabrina
Hey MODG, what kind of diaper bag do you use? I’m having a baby in January and looking for something not ugly, that my husband won’t be embarrassed to carry and that will work for bulky cloth diapers….

Teenage Witch,
Nice try. I’m not tell you or the rest of the internet about my awesome diaper bag. The Baby-Led Weaning book has been sold out for months on Amazon thanks to you hoarders. Diaper bag is mine. **unless diaper bag maker wants to advertise and then I’ll tell you whatever you want to know**

Lacey
Are you going back to work after G turns one or do you get to continue being house manager?

Lace Underwear, this is a sentence that we don’t say in the MODG house. I’m afraid that B will be like, “oh yeaaaah. You need to get a paycheck Homes” So for now we’re going to play the What?  What was that? I’m sorry I didn’t quite hear your question…game.

Jobe
What is your hippie opinion on hair down there? Shave, Wax, Au Natural?

Jobe Probe: Shave most of it. Once I had a lady wax it and she said “WOAH”. No more public displays of pubes. Although I’m mostly lasered.

Katy
What’s your favorite type of Asian?

Katy Kat, That’s like saying what is your favorite type of cookie. They all provide me equal sort of happiness in their own delicious way. Except maybe blonde Thai.

Kaela
Modg, I’ll be buying a new home soon which means of course I’ll have to get all new stuff (Dizzle and I continue to argue, as he doesn’t understand that I can’t possibly be asked to take a year-old shower curtain and put in in a NEW house). Bu I love your decorating style. Can you tell us what catalogs worth getting regularly/what online stores to frequent?

Lots of Vowels K Name: The way I get away with making purchases without B really making a stink about it, is purchasing things at places that I could literally be buying anything at. Example: dress at Target. Could be baby food. He doesn’t know. Magazines and makeup at supermarket. What? I was buying food. If I HAVE to buy something at like West Elm, I make it always under 100 dollars. Also always get a discount code. I say “B. It was friends and family. I HAD to use it like now”.  But your question was not that.

overstock.com for furniture and rugs

etsy.com for throw pillows

macys.com for bedding (I know… but they have good sales and I like basic stuff)

Ikea for chachkies, kids toys, storage, shelving

amazon.com for like anything else always

bellacor.com for lighting

urban outfitters for fun weird stuff like a pink chair

roomandboard.com for expensive awesome shit

Andrea
What should I wear in a family photo shoot that is outdoors in early November, (Chicago weather) I want to look edgy and hip even though I’m a mom now…or is that an oxymoron?

Amanda (everyone calls me Andrea because they are idiots): Maxi dress with a jean jacket and statement necklace and boots or maxi dress and a sweater. This is my staple look for fall. Although early november has past. Sorry I missed the ball. I do that. I always miss balls. That’s what she said. oooooh.

like this except less lame in the face and pose.

amy
don’t look at my website, it’s old and crappy. you’re probably looking now. ugh. Anyway, here’s a tough q for you!
my almost 14 month old will not sleep through the night, wants to nurse all night. what to do?
hippy mama with pruney boobs.

Shamey: I didn’t look at your website. The internet is stupid today and I’m not looking at it. My kid is 11 months. I know jack about 14 month olds. But I will say that from what I’ve lived through EVERYTHING is a phase. And if you can make it through it, it will end. I will say though that a few times a night, G will let out a few cries, some for a few minutes, but he always goes back to sleep. I can tell that they aren’t urgent cries. I’d rather him lull himself back to sleep. Me going in will only wake him up more. It’s worked. He is a bomb sleeper now. I don’t want to hear it, I deserve it now.

Anna Banana
Hey Modg! Love your blog. I think you write how most of us feel but also in a way that lets us laugh! So, thanks! Anyways, I’m a mom of 2 now and #2 is almost 7 months. This time around, I’m not heading back to work so quickly and am continuing to breastfeed a little longer (first time around, I had to quit at 7.5 months because I got knocked up with #2). Anyways, we’re also trying baby led weaning this time and I wanted to ask how it went with Baby G. Do you have any good ideas? I bought the book and have started but it’s hard not to worry that he’s not getting enough. Thanks!

Ms. Banana. I always gave him one or those squeeze pouches of puree WITH hand held food (I still do) to be sure he gets enough fruits and veggies and grains. I recommend Happy Tots because it has an omega 3 grain in it and fills them up a little more. With that being said, baby led weaning was the best shit ever. We started it around 6 months and then quit and restarted around 8 months. He just wasn’t ready that young. But now he’s a great eater and can chew anything. To start off, give them lots of hand held fruit and sweet potato fries (baked no salt).

Megan
Speaking of poopy-whats the longest your son has gone without pooping? My 4 month old hasn’t pooped in 3 days and I’m getting a little concerned. Just wanted to know if you have dealt with this and what you did. Thanks!

Worry Poop, I freak if he doesn’t poop once a day. We did go through this. A little pear juice solves the problem. Prune juice will create a science experiment in his pants. But when G was 4 months he went many many days without pooping. If you’re REALLY concerned, take a q tip with some vaseline and put JUST THE TIP in his butthole. I know it sounds awful, but they are fine with it and it stimulates the poop gland and they usually poop.

Sarah
Any tips for airplane travel? I’ve read that getting separate seats (from your mate, not your baby) is helpful…but the thought has set me into a state of 2-month advanced panicking.

Sorry Sarah: I’ve never done it and I’m scared to death. My tip: Bake the plane a batch of cookies with a note on it that says “I’m sorry”

Heidi
So i was wondering how in the world you started your search for your midwife… I’ve been thinking about looking into it and go soooo overwhelmed on the internet and have no idea how to start…. so how did you do it??? close your eyes and point? pray to the hippy gods? help….

auf Wiedersehen Heidi: The Birth Center is a reputable institution around here where a number of midwives work. I would ask for referrals. Do you have any hippie friends? Another way is to find a doula first and ask the doula for a recommendation. www.dona.org is a great place to start.

HusbandHater
Is it normal to kind of hate your husband after having a baby? My baby is three months old and every little thing my husband does annoys the hell out of me. And I never saw this coming. We had ZERO issues before baby. Is it just me? Help!

Haters B Hatin: Your hormones are insane still and you’re dealing with a screaming burrito 24/7. I hated B, the cats and air. They could all F themselves. It gets better. But if you feel really horrible, get a counselor. Mine saved my life and my air.

Marissa
So, can you do a feature on people and when they decided on baby #2 and how many years / months apart they are, and their pluses and minuses? My husband is (older) then us, so, we don’t want to wait tooooooooooo long for another, but I’m kind of torn in a few different angles. Plus you want another one soon too right!??! :)

Marissa Pissapants: Well, considering that I feel like I’ve survived the depths of war, I’m content to just be thankful for my survival right now. However, yes we do want another baby. And we do want them close together. B is about a year apart from his brother and they are besties4life (they have a necklace). But no period = no babies yet.

______________________________________________________________________________

The answers to your burning questions were brought to you buy one of my favorite sponsors on the MODG team: Stinkerpants. I dare you to go to that website and not die to order 340 billion things. They do custom cute art and can even draw your face on cards and things. I’m *mildly* embarrassed about my mspaint skills in their presence.  My fave product is the Wish Tree and they are giving one away! It would be so cute for a baby shower or a birthday to write your wishes in for the baby or for your greedy self. All you have to do is go and sign up for the newsletter. I’ll announce the winner some time this week. PEE YOUR PANTS!

POSTED IN: ASK MODG

Heather@Mama_Sass November 20, 2011 at 4:26 pm

The q tip poop aid is no joke. I called my ultra hippie lactation specialist aunt after my G hadn’t pooped for like 5 days and she said skip the warm bath, the pear juice, etc and go straight for the q tip assist.
Worked like a charm, and I am now known as the poop whisperer.

jen November 20, 2011 at 10:58 pm

my now 9.5 month old used to be anti-poop. The qtip wasnt even enough. I had to use this mini-condom looking thing on my pinky finger, use some surgical lube, and … you can figure out the rest.

Katie E. November 20, 2011 at 11:56 pm

I have children with bowels of iron. Actually they just both had some screwy tummy/allergy issues. They were antipoopers. My awesome pediatrician, who has handled all sorts of issues with our screwy tummy kids, recommended Miralax. It is safe enough for a baby who is as young as 2 months (when my poor babies had to start), but they don’t become dependent on it. It is like super fiber. Most pediatricians are recommending less invasive methods of getting your baby to poop (no more q tips). The pediatric GI specialist (yeah, it’s super fun to have a relationship with this guy! We even have his home number, and he answers calls on weekends,) said that Miralax is the best for their tummies. We used 1 and 1/2 tsp. at morning and at lunch to uncork, and then went on a maintenance dose of 1 tsp. per day to keep baby M. going. Our GI miracle worker also said it is NOT NORMAL for babies to not poop every day. He said they should actually poop more often than once a day. Our boys are now poop-tastic and so much less grumpy!

Kait November 20, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Our daughters were born 16 months apart and were super duper best friends until our sons came in to the picture/oldest kid started kindergarten.

Our sons are about 16 months apart as well and our oldest son is a few months younger than oldest daughter, younger son is 4 months younger than youngest daughter. (All four are adopted – there was no weird pregnancy shiz happening) So basically what that means is that our four kids were born within two years of each other and all came in to our lives within three years of each other. It’s the kind of chaos I never knew existed.

But having four so close in age means that everyone is on the same level with toys/school/verbal skills/etc. It’s actually been super awesome. Of course, none of them came from my lady bits and the youngest we ever had was 10 months old so we got to skip most of the insane stuff. That’s probably why I say yay to four kids close in age. That or the booze.

Sarah vL November 20, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I’m supposed to be doing 10 million other things, but I saw that you had a new post and had to (HAD TO!) come and read it and I’m so glad I did! MODG, you really need to get yourself a column in a parenting magazine or something, because this stuff is amazeballs. So freakin good. And I don’t even have kids! (Although I nanny, so I feel like I do…)

Julie November 20, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I’m totally taking your advice for upcoming solo plane travel with my 15th old. Am I allowed to make them ‘green’ cookies? I will be heading to Portland, OR after all!

Meg November 20, 2011 at 5:22 pm

So your response to Jobe’s q about hair down there: how was it getting lasered? I just decided that I was going to look into it. Do you have to go back for several follow ups? Was it painful?

Holly November 20, 2011 at 11:29 pm

I obviously can’t speak for MODG, but I say do it and don’t look back. They both hurt, but lasering is sorta for life and waxing isn’t.

Krista November 20, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Love the questions and answers. I was wondering when we readers were going to benefit from the ask modg button.

For those of you with questions about air travel, I do have some tips in a post I did on my blog awhile a few months ago. http://countingdowntildaddy.com/2011/09/06/some-things-ive-learned-that-will-hopefully-make-air-travel-with-kids-a-little-less-of-a-nightmare/

I’ve flown from Seattle to Philly several times (along – my husband is in the military and I do most travel to see family when he’s gone) with one child and once with two. I wrote it before my first trip alone with two (2.5 years and 8 months) and all advice still applies. The only thing I would add is, if you can afford it and your kid is old enough to appreciate it (my 8 month old kind of did), get a freakin’ ipad. They are genius and Oprah needs to come back just to give one to every parent who ever has to travel with children.

Danni November 20, 2011 at 6:38 pm

To Julia….I think you can change something about your program settings so that you can open links in another tab/window. Like, I just hold down the apple key on my Mac and then click the link and it opens in a new tab. I have it set that way in my Google Chrome preferences. Just a tip from one person who hates leaving her spot to another :)

MODG–G is getting super cute! He’s looking very Asian in that top pic :)

Therese November 20, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Tell Julia Roberts up there to just right click the link and open in a new tab. :)

mandie November 20, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Ha! My thoughts exaaaactly. Duh!

Jami November 22, 2011 at 8:32 am

Or you can hold down control while you click (open apple if you’re a Mac user), or click with the scroll wheel. Both methods will open links in a new tab.

mandie November 20, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Seriously, do not worry about the flying thing. I fly with my two toddlers alone (stupid husband and his stupid bill paying job), and it’s really not the BIGHUGEDEAL a lot of moms think it will be. I wrote a post with some good tips, and I’m sharing that link NOT to be a huge AW, but because I think it might help some of you panicky baby traveler people:

Krista November 20, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I linked to mine above and then read yours and other than you being a lot funnier than me, it was nice to see so many similarities with our advice. Especially about not worrying about what anyone else things – it will save you sooo much sanity. I’ve had pretty good luck with the CARES harness, but mostly because I don’t care so much if she slips out of it a bit and I just don’t see how I could ever get a car seat to the gate with two kids and carry-ons.

amanda November 20, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I just click whatever I need to open in a new tab with the scroll wheel on my mouse and it opens it right up….no new programming needed…

Katrina November 20, 2011 at 9:33 pm

My son would go a week and a half between poops when he was ebf. Our doctor said a week is normal (All my mom’s kids were once a week poopers), so we would do the q tip trick after a week. It still took him 3 more days and was never constipated, so I guess that’s all he needed to poop…

elle November 20, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Dear God airplane travel….reminds me of my first time. Baby did great…it was ” the others….”
If you want to laugh at my misery…. http://flabourg.org/?p=1602
Awesome questions people.keep em coming, I need something to distract me from my work.

JJ November 21, 2011 at 12:15 am

To one comment about wanting a link to open a new tab: you can solve this by right clicking the link she has and then click on “open in new tab”.

ZDub November 21, 2011 at 1:46 am

I can hardly tell Troy and Gavin apart. Asian brothers 4 life.

k November 21, 2011 at 2:07 am

Note to Heidi: If you are planning to give birth in a hospital, one suggestion for finding a midwife is to look into the hospital stats in your area re intervention, c-section rates, policies on eating in labor, labor tubs, on who you can have with you, etc., anything that is important to you, and then see which midwives work at the hospital that sounds best to you. Of course if you are planning a home birth this does not apply. :)

bonzo November 21, 2011 at 10:41 am

Megan,

When a baby is 4 months old and exclusively breastfed, they can sometimes go a REALLY long time without pooping. My first never went more than 2 days, but my second (now 7 months) used to go TEN TO TWELVE DAYS WITHOUT POOPING. I shit you not. Literally.

I consulted two different pediatricians about it, and they both said not to worry. My baby boy started pooping regularly once we introduced rice cereal at around 5.5 months.

Hope that helps.

bonzo

Allison November 23, 2011 at 12:47 am

In defense of poop variances, or “one poop does not fit all,” I have to agree with above.

Yay breastmilk! It is SO well-absorbed that exclusively breastfed 2-6 months old MAY not poop more often than every week and it’s totally cool. As long as their poop isn’t hard you can be sure they’re not constipated. I’m a family doctor who sees this all the time in healthy kids (it’s different when they start solids and/or eat formula). A pediatrician I know with 50 years of experience said the longest he’s seen a healthy kid go is 21 days.

My first kid was a once a week-er, (like me and like my dad it turns out.) Of course that weekly poo was usually volcanic enough to fill the diaper, onesie, sleeve and car seat (car?) Which was terrifying and I would shout and then my kid would cry. But the rest of the time we were very happily not pooing.

Kid 2 poops all the time and we do cloth diapers so it is not pretty.

KarenaGonzalez November 21, 2011 at 1:33 pm

That Stinkerpants blog is adorable! I seriously want to order Christmas cards from there now. I want it all.

j November 21, 2011 at 4:27 pm

i freaking love that outfit! bahhhh. totally cant pull of maxi dresses. i look like a whale.

April November 22, 2011 at 1:14 pm

MODG, didn’t you already tell us about your diaper bag in one of the posts on things you love? I saw a picture of it. Or are you not using that one anymore…?

April November 22, 2011 at 1:15 pm

And yes, clearly I know too much about you because I can name the exact diaper bag you posted…scary.

Morgan November 23, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet in the comments but you can set links to open in a new window directly in Wordpress – should be a checkbox in the pop up window after you click the little paperclip when you add a link to a word… not sure if you’re using wordpress?

I'llSleepWhenThey'reGrown November 23, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I like the Keeper but haven’t tried the Diva Cup. The Keeper has a longer handle that helps you pull it out. Best to use if there’s a sink nearby b/c it’s messtown. I have a review here on my blog.

just benice November 28, 2011 at 6:13 pm

awww man modg. why you gotta knock kendi?

not cool.