Hot Damn, more shit that I like. MODG’s Favorite Things.

That’s right, I have more favorite things. You can pretty much expect a post like this on a very often in your face basis. Why? Because if it’s one thing I like, it’s things. Ask B and American Express. When I find something awesome for the baby that either makes him A) stop crying for 55 seconds or B) occupies him for 56 seconds, I’m like OMG I NEED TO TELL SOMEONE ABOUT THIS. Hello someone.

The day finally came. It was a sad day. I played the graduation song in my head as I folded up my Moby and Sleepy Wrap and put them away. I technically could still use them for G but he is bowling ball heavy and he stretches down past my crotch now. It’s time to upgrade to the soft carrier. I actually rented a few to find out which I liked best and I found the mother of all carriers.

Beco Baby Gemini Carrier

Here’s why this thing is bomb ass. It’s the only soft structured carrier that allows you to face the baby front, back, on your back or on your side. G wants to see shit so he likes to face front (one of the reasons we sold our Ergo). It’s also not for geniuses. Any drunk idiot can  use it. But probably don’t be too drunk and carry your baby around.

_______

After a friend told me that this thing saved her brain, I RUSHED out to buy it. I told B that it was G’s Easter present. G doesn’t know Easter from the toilet, so that was some bullshit. But I was sad because he haaaated it. He was 4 months old when he got it. He just didn’t dig it. Then we hit 7 months and holy jesus bunny, does this kid LOVE this thing. I mean seriously love it. Here is your video proof:

I freaking love my walker

Bright Starts Around We Go Activity Station, Doodle Bugs

_________

Ok I’ll be the first to admit that I was a dumb asshole about baby foods. But remember, this is coming from a mom who had to cut out dairy, soy and gluten from her diet so her child’s ass didn’t explode on the hour. I was paranoid. I do however make 80% of G’s food and purees. We are doing less baby led weaning now and more purees due to my paranoia. I know, murder me. In addition, I started using these. I use these for times like car rides, stroller rides, and mommy needs to internet rides.

Ella’s Kitchen Organic Baby Food

G holds it and nurses it like a boob. He houses the thing in under 3 minutes. It’s all organic foods and I’m cool with it since it’s not for every meal. I do still prefer making my foods for him fresh because….

___________

I add special hippie magic to them as recommended from our hippie doctor. Store bought purees are ok. But they are heated to a very extreme temperature to make them last on the shelves, killing off a lot of good vitamins and magic. So when I grind up carrots and that sort of jazz. I add these things to G’s food.

Carlson For Kids Very Finest Fish Oil Orange, 200ml

Maine Coast Sea Vegetables Dulse Flakes, 4-Ounce Package (Pack of 5)

NOW Foods Liquid Vitamin D

Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Blackstrap Molasses

The sea vegetables are for digestability and the molasses is for iron which is low in breastfed babies. I only do a tiny dot of each in all of his meals.

________

Ok this isn’t really a baby thing, but it is if you don’t want your baby’s diet to have a 9th cat hair food group. Our cats are disgusting. For regular non fancy cats, they shed a mini kitten a day. I can show it to you in my vacuum. I found this and it’s changed my life

Pledge Fabric Sweeper for Pet Hair, 1 sweeper

Seriously, it’s awesome. Buy it now.

________

Maybe you’ve caught on by now that G isn’t shy about being pissed off about things like, breathing, walking, not walking, eating, not eating, etc. So we found this

Bach Rescue Remedy

totally homeopathic. Calms them right down. It’s like you all pissed off that your 31 year old husband is playing video games again and you take a shot of vodka to calm down (no? just me?). It’s all natural and you give your kid 4 tiny drops and he’s right as rain. Magic fairy juice.

_____________

Ok, here’s our first non amazon product. But I really feel the need to tell you about it. This is a bathingsuit that I bought for my lake trip. Have I mentioned my obsession with bathingsuits? I wanted one NON one piece. But I didn’t want to show off the baby junk that G left behind in my stomach. Apparently he had some luggage that he forgot. So I got this:

I promise you that it looks cool retro and not mom pouch. I felt totally Angelina Jolie Vanity Fair in it. In fact, I said to B: “B take a picture of me looking 1950’s, like where’s is my husband? He must be at war.” B was like, ughh what war?” But he did.

Jcrew awesome suit.

__________

This is a great gift for someone. It’s something you don’t realize that you need until it’s too late. The day that G could actually ride in the shopping cart and not ON me, was a good day. But shopping carts are foul beasts of disease. You need this.

Shopping Cart Cover

It’s smart and awesome.

___________

Part of our daily routine is pool time. Oh, we totally belong to the big pool club thing. But because of my fear of G napping in the car and NOT napping at home, we use our own baby pool. Having shade is key, because a screaming burned baby is like number 8 on worst things of your whole life ever.

Intex Sun Shade Pool

That douchebag comes with the pool.

_______

Now that G doesn’t sleep next to the space heater that is my boobs, he needs to be kept a little warm. Blankets are death sacks for baby, UNLESS you get a wearable blanket. The snuggie people totally stole this idea from babies.

Halo Innovations Sleepsack Wearable Blanket Applique, Elephant, Medium

We dress G in regular pajamas every night and one of these. It keeps him warm in our freezing ACified house. And a warm baby is a sleeping baby.

______

Our neighbors gave us this after their 2 kids went ape shit over this. Turns out G did the same. This is the weirdest toy and I can’t explain why kids like what they like, but this is on their good list apparently.

Baby Toys: Hide and Squeak Eggs Sorting Fun

Yeah. It’s eggs that squeak. Just trust me on this one.

_______

A little known MODG fact is that I have a minor/major Jewel obsession. I’d say 60% of the 90’s for me were spent singing “You Were Meant for Me” into a hairbrush. I still have a secret wish that someone will tell me to sing in a coffee shop and I’ll be all “but I live in my truck” and they’ll be like “oh man, we’ll make you a millionaire right now”. So yeah, I like Jewel. And when I found this I shit my pants.

Lullaby

And G and I listen to it every day and I swear it calms him down. And it makes me happy to not hear “Daddy’s Taking Us to the Zoo Tomorrow” one more GD time. xoxo Jewel.

________

And that’s all for this edition of stuff I like. I guess it’s stuff WE like. G totally loves my bathingsuit too.

Oh and did I tell you about the super fans that made a baby shower gift out of my favorite things and then decorated the box with my blog design? Um, best thing ever. I totally feel Real Housewife level famous.

Go forth and shop.

Thing Liker.

POSTED IN: Awesome things,babies,MODG,Mom Stuff,Stuff I like

emily July 16, 2011 at 10:28 pm

i dont know what is worse… you doing a post on a sat night or me reading it… mmmm prob me. So now i have decided i must go out :) Love your suit btw!!

my favorite and my best- MFAMB to you July 16, 2011 at 10:48 pm

please help me understand why the boob part of your bathingsuit is different than the picture’s boob part.
bc YOUR boob part looks like something my boobs would fit into whereas the super non boob model’s does not.

MODG July 17, 2011 at 9:40 am

because I got a different more awesome top. The beauty of the jcrew mix and match.

Jen July 16, 2011 at 11:07 pm

I feel like owning a Beco is a secret club of awesomeness. You hear about buying an Ergo everywhere and think its the only way to go, then some Mom whispers to you the glory of the Beco and your life is forever changed. Thanks for spreading the good word. ;-D

MODG July 17, 2011 at 9:40 am

must be the beco GEMINI. It’s the only one that faces forward.

Tia July 16, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Ummm…hello! You look A-MA-ZING in your bathing suit. And I’m totally on board with you about the sleep sacks and the shopping cart cover. MUSTS for every mom and baby.

fabulous mama July 16, 2011 at 11:20 pm

yes.yes.yes.yes. times all.

i couldn’t agree more.

especially the pool time baby. gotta keep those suckers at home. nap time in car? no fun!

Katie July 16, 2011 at 11:24 pm

You look fabulous that that swim suit! I want boobs like yours – they look fantastic. Mine are A cups and are nothing to look at.

I don’t have a kid so I can’t relate to the other things you posted about. I have referred some mommy friends to your blog, and they love it.

That’s all.

emily July 16, 2011 at 11:29 pm

My kids loved those eggs too. Played with them from 6 months on (almost 2). My husband and I used to turn the tops over and spin them on the hardwood floor to see who’s would spin the longest because we are cool like that. Seriously though those things take off and if you blow on the bottom part and push the egg down it whistles. Endless fun I tell you.

MODG July 18, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Emily, took your advice and had a wild egg spinning whistling time last night.

Kate July 17, 2011 at 12:39 am

Best list ever. I want and must have everything on that list, minus the douchebag in the pool..and those kids too. Mine’s enough already. That swimsuit could totally cover my stretch marks and still showcase my amazin new boobs.

ashley July 17, 2011 at 1:34 am

rescue remedy is great for adults. seriously. it’ll do wonders. and they have little candies too you can buy and well i know you like your candy. so its magic in a candy tin.

Kate August 8, 2011 at 11:48 am

I’m a little confused. My VET gave me rescue remedy for our dog because he had separation anxiety. Are you taking dog meds?

Rachael July 17, 2011 at 1:37 am

A couple things. I’ve been drinking some wine, forgive me. 1. Is there a reason you prefer Ella’s to Sprout and Plum baby food? Just curious :) 2. That pool looks awesome. 3. I did the whole shopping cart cover for a few months (my babe is 9 months) and then I realized it;s a pain in the ass to put that thing on there every damn time while I’m holding him. So now I use my babyganics all purpose wipes and clean the shit out of those handles/ any part he typically touches/licks before I stick him in there. 4. You look way too hot in that bathing suit for just having a baby, I’m thinking I need to eat only rice and turkey for a few months.

MODG July 17, 2011 at 9:41 am

I actually just bought some plum baby but we haven’t tried it yet.

audrey July 18, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Wait wait wait wait wait. Have you tried plum baby organic super puffs super oranges (mango and sweet potato)? I think they might be like the baby food equivalent of feral marshmallows. Try them!

audrey July 18, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Not feral. Cereal marshmallows. Whoops.

MODG July 18, 2011 at 1:49 pm

G can’t have gluten :-(

Theresa P July 17, 2011 at 1:59 am

I almost bought that bathing suit from J. Crew in my post-baby bathing suit search this summer! But I was worried it would make me look too frumpy. Now I see it in person (ok, in internet person) and I love it on you! I ended up breaking down and getting a one piece but it’s super cute anyway and I think I avoided looking too momish so mission accomplished. And I think your carrier is the same as mine except I call mine a mei-tai and my mom made it for me with my first son. I would die without it. I have never tried any other carrier because both my boys act like they’ve died and gone to heaven when I put them in the mei-tai. My first son is already two and I can still put him in it if I really need to. It’s by far my best baby product that I own. Oh, and quick question… you say the sea vegetables help with digestability. Is that to help avoid constipation and get their tummies used to the solids a bit easier? I just spent all Friday night and Saturday morning dealing with constipation with my 7 month old. It was awful. I’m wondering if this stuff will help his tummy better adjust to new foods. Thanks!

MODG July 17, 2011 at 9:43 am

sea veggies have lots of iodine which is basically something that just helps tummies digest foods that they can’t break down on their own. G has trouble with this, hence my restrictive diet.

Rebecca July 17, 2011 at 8:45 am

not gonna chime in on baby crap that i know nothing about, BUT…i love love love those pledge pet fur things. my cats also shed a baby kitten’s worth of fur EACH, and they do it every damn day. even though my hardwood floors require pain-in-the-neck vacuuming, my furniture stays on point with a quick brushing from these sweepers. thank youuuuuuu, pledge thing-a-ma-jiggy. (don’t even try those yellow Scotch fur fighter pieces of junk. they do nada.)

storing away all the tips for when i do have a kid someday. keep ‘em coming!

Desiree July 17, 2011 at 10:40 am

Please please please keep doing shit I like posts until forever! I have til November when Q makes his grand debut and I NEED to know what to make everyone buy for him so I won’t lose it. Your blog is my go to baby stuff reference. I seriously have all these posts starred.

PS You are Real Housewife level famous (at least to me)!

Danielle July 17, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Do you mind if I ask how the sizing seems to run on the j crew tops? I am also nursing and boobalicious like you but if my memory serves me correctly their stuff runs huge…

MODG July 17, 2011 at 1:58 pm

they adjusted their sizing. I actually had to size down in the bottom. The top I got a 34 C and right now I’m pushing D territory.

demi July 17, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Seriously. Your boobs. Amazing! Love the list and the suit! And I’m leaving a confession. Today I told my husband I had a headache so I didn’t have to go to the aquarium with the family today. I instead wanted to stay home, drink wine and watch my trashy TV on DVR without worrying about my friggin kids annoying the shit out of me and possibly picking up foul language. Mom of the year here.

Anna July 17, 2011 at 2:27 pm

You need to get paid for these things. I bought your pricey swing from the first baby post, love it and will now buy these things for my 10 week old as they become appropriate. I bet all the products will get a bump from your readership buying them…just like Oprah for books. Now I need more talk about dropping baby weight…I was doing ok but all of a sudden feel like a lazy bum so the running stopped. I’d like a MODG exercise video as I would take skinny fat over fat any day now. I miss my cute clothes and have a wedding in a few weeks and since I’m breastfeeding all my pre-baby crash diets are probably a bad idea.

demi July 17, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I’m a beachbody coach if u want some help sister…I lost 50 lbs while breastfeeding. It’s tough but doable ;).

Kristen July 17, 2011 at 4:05 pm

What program do you edit your movies in? They are awesome!

modg July 18, 2011 at 1:49 pm

iMovie.

Jennah July 17, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Some people on Amazon are saying that cart cover doesn’t fit Target’s carts. A cart cover that does not fit Target’s carts is dead to me. So…does it fit?

MODG July 18, 2011 at 1:50 pm

aaah I don’t know. Haven’t made a target trip with it yet.

Suzi July 17, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Totally love the pledge pet hair fabric sweeper!

Kathleen July 17, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Can you tell us more about what you use this rescue remedy for? SO intrigued.

MODG July 18, 2011 at 1:50 pm

like he haaaates getting ready for bed. Like the whole pajama diaper thing. So we give him a few drops before the freak out.

Renee July 17, 2011 at 11:08 pm

LOVE these posts! Thank you. I want it all.

Laura July 18, 2011 at 12:19 am

Rescue Remedy is also good for full-sized humans. I carry it with me everywhere and mix into drinks or put a few drops under my tongue for quick action when I’m super stressed out.

Ryan July 18, 2011 at 9:35 am

Ella’s Kitchen baby food are our favorites! Did you know they make little spoons that screw on to the ends too? You put it on and you can totally feed the baby one-handed; just squeeze the pouch and the perfect amount of food oozes out onto the spoon like magic.

And we also love Jewel’s CD. We have a megamix of sleepy time music on an old iPod we play while he sleeps. It goes from super mellow to a little bit noisier. We’ve played it since he was born and he’s a solid sleeper because of it. He’s not used to quiet, so he’ll sleep through my vacuuming his room, he slept through fireworks (while outside during a huge display). Oh, the wonders of white noise. But the Jewel CD is my second favorite, after the CD of Queen hits made into lullabies.

kelly @Dare to be Domestic July 18, 2011 at 10:21 am

I am so happy you put the sleep sack as one of your favorite things – I JUST bought that this weekend for a baby shower! Along with some receiving blankets and bomb ass Star Wars tshirts and Justice League geek chic gear for her baby as well. She was so happy about the sleep sack. Since I know nothing about babies I thought it was a good day and you have confirmed my choices!

heather July 18, 2011 at 10:21 am

Is the feminism baby carrier easy to get him in and out of? I hate the one I have bc when my Lo falls asleep in it I have to wear it for ever bc I can’t easily get her out of it. It’s like baby gymnastics getting her in and out…

modg July 18, 2011 at 1:51 pm

no it’s definitely feminism baby carrier.

and yes, very easy to get in and out of.

heather July 18, 2011 at 10:23 am

Grr I hate auto correct….*gemini baby carrier, lol

Sonya July 18, 2011 at 10:53 am

Love your blog as my baby is practically the same age and you helped me feel like I wasn’t alone! Tummy issues and all. Our fav things are: The Little Tikes Infant Swing (hangs from a tree in your yard), Farm Jumperoo, Boon Flair High Chair (pumps up and down like when you get your hair cut!) and the Beaba Babyfood Maker with the Fresh Baby storage trays. That thing is legit and super easy to make your own babyfood.

Ashley July 18, 2011 at 12:14 pm

What up, knockers?!?!? When you decide to start working again, you need to go back to Hooters. Fo sho.

modg July 18, 2011 at 1:52 pm

that’s all milk yo.

Rachael July 18, 2011 at 12:59 pm

My baby George probably could put your Gavin for a serious competition on “drama”!! What are these hippie doctors called? Wine is no longer doing the trick for me :)

modg July 18, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Naturopath

Danielle D. July 18, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Intex Sun Shade Pool : “That douchebag comes with the pool.”
Phrases like that are what make you my 8:00am on a Monday morning hero. Much love, DD.

Beth July 18, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Molasses can carry boulism, especially if it’s not been pasteurized which could be the case with organic, so be careful. Hate to see drama-baby get hippy sick.

Beth July 18, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Botulism, not boulism (which does sound equally horrific.)

Mindy Clarke July 19, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Do you know about Pinterest? http://pinterest.com/
If you join – please let us know! I love to follow my internet friends!

Monique July 25, 2011 at 11:18 am

you need to get Johnny Bregar CD Stomp Your Feet!

Music does tame the savage beast. I play this and put my 5 month old in the swing and I am actually able to take a shower without the world ending. And my other 2 boys (7 and 9yo) like the CD, BONUS.

My poor husband. We play this CD nonstop during the day. I’ve got Johnny’s other CD in the car.

Vicki August 1, 2011 at 9:58 pm

So…I want those eggs now. I hope someone gets them for my baby for his birthday. In January.
Also, I’m jealous of your two piece swimsuit. I still have the line down my stomach. My baby is 7 months old. WTF.

Jen November 11, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I just started reading your blog–where the hell have I been! This shit’s fu-h-h-ny! To be fair to myself I probably wouldn’t have taken a look at it before I was a Mom because I didn’t have the least bit of interest in Around We Go Activity Stations. But now I have a 5 month old and…wahmmo. So I was just taking a look at some of G’s videos and I noticed (extra stalkery) you were wearing a wrist brace in one. When my babe was a newborn some nurse told me she got tendonitis from holding her baby and I was like “wow, lady, you must have some flimsy wrists” I’m pretty athletic and was shocked as hell when I started having all sorts of probs with my wrists. I really don’t want to have to deal with going to a doc for it–so my question to you is 1) is the wrist brace from holding the baby and 2) did you need to do anything other than wearing the brace i.e. did it just heal on it’s own. BTW the vid of him in the activity station is just pure joy–he’s the cutest(it’s hard to believe he was all colicky and miserable at one point) and reminds me a lot of my Nora.