Hippie-fied Solids. It keeps getting weirder around here.

Next week Dramababy turns 6 months. And you know what that means, solid foods. And what that REALLY means is insanely disgusting crap diapers.

In the future I'd like to avoid this sort of thing

We cheated and started a little early. I thought I was being a good solid hippie by pureeing my own baby foods and buying organic fresh produce and feeding him from my own fingers. Sounds good right? WRONG. Those damn hippies always one up me when I least expect it. Obviously I jumped on the band wagon as soon as I heart about it…

Baby Led Weaning.

First, it’s the dumbest name for a thing ever because it’s not what it sounds like. We’re not weaning G. He’ll still be breastfed for at least the first year of his life. But we are giving him real foods now. Baby Led Weaning is about giving them actual foods, not mush, regular people food. You give him foods that he can hold and chew and lick and stuff. It’s about learning to chew before swallowing, where puree stuff is about swallowing before chewing. The best part is that it’s lazy people friendly. No magic bullet, no steaming, no mush on my floors and in my hair. Just regular style. It’s also about the baby learning to feed themselves and not sitting around shoving a spoon into their mouths.

Ok here were my concerns so I’m sure you’re thinking them too:

1) I will kill my baby

To be fair this is a concern of mine on an hourly basis. So far so good. As long as the food is cut into large pieces that they can hold, but can’t swallow (that’s the key), this method is kill proof. You don’t give them chokable things like nuts or dimes, but stick to apples, cucumbers, pears, and then you move on to large chunks of meat that they can suck on for iron and then fancy things like french toast and sweet potato fries.

2) I will starve my baby

…which leads back to #1. Also, babies are food geniuses. They know when they are hungry and MAN do they tell you. We’re sort of following the theory of “food for fun until one”. So he’ll still be getting just as much breast milk as before. Starvation solved.

3) My mom will think I’m insane

Probably.

4) My baby will be laughed at by all the other babies

No. YOUR baby will laugh at those dumb mush faced babies all the way to Whole Foods. Your baby will be all chill with his stick of mango at the restaurant asking the waiter to make his steak medium, while that other baby will be covered in pureed liver bean gravy sauce.

I’ve personally met 2 sophisticated babies who were baby led weaned and it’s so cool to see a tiny baby eating a chicken wing and a whole apple. And let me tell you how happy those moms were to not be pureeing crap at a party for regular food eating people. I want to be one of those people.

This is the book that we’re using. There’s a good summary about how to do this hippie food stuff and then easy safe non killable recipes to go with it.
The Baby-Led Weaning Cookbook: 130 Easy, Nutritious Recipes That Will Help Your Baby Learn to Eat (and Love!) a Variety of Solid Foods – and That the Whole Family Will EnjoyChild Care Books)

I’ll let you know how it goes. If I get discouraged, please remind me of this.

WORD

MODG & G

POSTED IN: Awesome things,Dramababy,Eating Innapropriately,hippie stuff,Mom Stuff

Miranda June 1, 2011 at 9:23 pm

I have such a picky toddler. And I did half the hippie stuff you did. Except not this. Because I didn’t facking know what it was and thought “Oh, weaning? No. That’s not what we want to do yet!” And I was too foggy-headed from going back to work and having a child that wouldn’t sleep that I didn’t think that maaaayyybeee I should just look a little further into the whole thing. Gah. Stupid me. And stupid name for this way to feed babies.

Vicki June 1, 2011 at 9:26 pm

I want to do this with my little guy. We have a dog to clean up the floor. Naked eating seems like it makes the most sense too. I love letting my babe share a banana with me – it is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen, borderline inappropriate, and definitely makes me realize how we are related to monkeys.

Sarah June 1, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Did this with both kids. Definitely the way to go for lazy…err…awesome parents :)

Carla June 1, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I did give my son some mashed up stuff, but mostly real food. I love when I do stuff and THEN realize there is a name for it and books and stuff. My now toddler eats just about anything I put in front of him, black bean burrittos and broccolli being some of his favorites: you can imagine the diapers I deal with … next up in the hippy-style parenting, elimination communication.

M June 1, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I always hated the name of it too- doesn’t really make sense. We are doing a combination of some purees and BLW. I LOVE watching our little guy feed himself. Here he is at 9 months with potatoes, cherries, and blueberries: http://ourcherrybaby.blogspot.com/2011/05/yum.html

Meg June 1, 2011 at 10:40 pm

We did this..& I LOVED it!! Then he hit 14 months & he decided he no longer eats anything that isn’t fruit, cottage cheese or tortellini. No meat. Aughh!! And all these people told me ‘just don’t make a big deal about what you give him & he’ll eat it’. And he throws meat in my face. And I told those people to suck it! Cause you can’t force a baby.

So, I love baby led weaning. But it has stopped loving me :(

Sarah June 1, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Both my girlies went through the “I hate meat” phase. They eat it now just fine (at 3.5 and almost 2). They each, at one point or another, decided they would eat only yogurt :P I just kept offering it and one day they decided meat wasn’t so bad, lol. I think homemade chicken “nuggets” did it for them ~ bite size chicken pieces coated in flour, then egg, then crushed corn flakes or bread crumbs, then baked until no longer pink inside. They can dip them in honey mustard (which apparently makes anything edible!).

Rach June 2, 2011 at 1:04 am

Personally, I am of the school of thought that says “you can deep-fry just about ANYTHING and dip it in ranch dressing, and I’ma eat it. Twice.”

Does anyone else think “weaning” is a hilarious word?

Also: say what you will about purees, but I have one of those Magic Bullet blenders (in a child-free house, no less) and I fucking LOVE IT. Best $50 at Bed Bath & Beyond ever. Alcoholic smoothies have never been so easy-access before, and I bless the infomercial that brought it into my life.

jilly- J's Mom June 2, 2011 at 6:43 pm

omg this infomercial is priceless. They have like all these characters around a kitchen counter. Some old lady with a cigarette too I swear!

Kelly M June 2, 2011 at 12:45 am

We also did a combo of purees and BLW. LOVE IT! I prefer to call it, “Baby Led Intro to Solids”, though that kind of sound like a college course.

ElsMom June 2, 2011 at 4:42 pm

BLISs! :-)

Ange June 2, 2011 at 12:55 am

With you all the way…I’ve never heard of it, & yes that name is not appropriate but Hey, I’m all for it. My 3 (6,4 & nearly2) all started with mush because I thought that’s what you did, then they had commercially prepared mush because I’m of the awesome (lazy) parenting type. But we did just shove the random, adult sized, real food in front of them more for the novelty or ease of situation factor than anything else. It works! They want to be like everyone else at the table. They may not actually “eat” it for a while, but they’ll have a go, & smart little tikes they’ll work it out eventually. Our youngest isn’t 2yrs until July, but she has been spoon feeding herself for about 6mths. It is great when everyone sits at the table & eats by themselves & you don’t have to sit infront of them & spoon every mouthful. Be aware though – even the chunky food gets from A-Z, buggers me how they do it too!

grateful to Bee June 2, 2011 at 2:19 am

I NEVER KNEW THERE WAS A NAME FOR THIS SHIT!!! I guess I’m a little less hippie than you. :)

We did a bit of both. I definitely preferred being able to give Bee solid foods, sans pureed nasty ass nastyness…Until she choked on something & then I got mildly (ABSOLUTELY) freakin horrified & gave her pureed until I was sure she could actually chew with all of her 5 teeth she had at the time. Best of luck, MODG. Parenthood is a weeeeird journey, & in my opinion, you & B are doing great with baby G :)

D June 2, 2011 at 5:38 am

The name is accurate though ~ technically in getting a baby onto solids you are beginning the process of weaning ~ away from a solely breast milk diet and towards (not TO, but towards) what will eventually be an all solids diet.

We did this with all of our kids ~ initially I didn’t know that this was a “thing”, it just made sense to me that my little human might enjoy food more if he actually got a taste of human food. The idea of someone shoving mush peas into my face for three days in a row made me gag, I didn’t want that to be my child’s introduction to the wonderful world of food! I don’t know if it is coincidence or what but we have fabulous well rounded and adventurous eaters. The other babies won’t make fun of G. They will cast fire eyes of envy upon him while he is shoveling some salmon and israeli couscous into his mouth and they are eating *meat* puree mush out of a glass jar.

BRITT June 2, 2011 at 6:42 am

Be careful if your baby has teeth. Mine had 7 teeth at 6 months so she takes big bites and them chokes and then throws up. It’s fun.

MV June 2, 2011 at 8:37 am

We plan to do BLW as well. My daughter just turned 5 months, so I want to wait a few weeks. I’m really not looking forward to the crap diapers – yuck. Thanks for the link!

Ryan June 2, 2011 at 9:38 am

I got the BLW book before our little dude was born and read it (like 3 times). As soon as it was go time, we were introduced to solids. We’ve never had a single issue with any foods – he took to it like a duck to water. :)

It gave us an ego boost with the other babies his age were just being introduced to solids and he was eating like a real human being. :) Suck it normal little baby that gags when anything other than milk is in his mouth!

It has definitely made our lives easier too, since he’s been able to eat along with us and not something special or steamed for the past few months.

Jessica June 2, 2011 at 9:40 am

I am seriously doing the exact same thing you’re doing, except two months ahead of you! We tried purees, totally terrible. Then I read about BLW, said, “AWESOME!” and we gave J a piece of chicken at dinner that night which she loved. And I thought we were on Easy Street. A few weeks later, it turns out that a combo of purees and BLW is working best for us. She was getting next to no nutrition from the BLW food, and after about a month I realized I would never ever wean her from breastmilk if we kept things up. (Which is fine if you’re cool with that – me, I want to throw away my GD pump at her 1-yr birthday party.) Anyways, we started spoon-feeding her purees a few times a day (hey I had all those perfect ice-cube trays of organic peas and squash in my freezer anyways) and letting her experiment and do BLW for lunch and dinner. Plus, it cuts down on frustration when she’s at the table with us and not starving; it gives her a chance to experiment without the “OMG I’m so hungry and there’s all this food in front of me but I can’t figure out what to do with it fast enough AHHHWAAAAHHWAAAAH” factor.

Bottom line? Be open to purees if the BLW doesn’t cut it for you guys after awhile. For us, it sounded so great in theory, but in practice we needed a mix of all the hippie-shit baby food options. Certainly not trying to rain on your BLW parade, because J loves getting to experiment and play with food a few times a day so it’s a great thing for that, but she just wasn’t catching on to the “ingestion” part quickly enough for me.

Also – the choking thing. Terrified us for the first week or so, and I had an awful time convincing my husband that the baby wasn’t going to kill herself (especially because I wasn’t so sure myself). Just brush up (we watched YouTube videos lol) on baby choking, and let G work it out himself. Shoving your finger in his mouth to clear it of food isn’t really going to help if he’s gagging on something. And it makes everyone at the restaurant think that you’re trying to kill your baby.

Oh and the comment from my mom after *I* blogged about my new BLW attitude: “So what? You’re not going to give J pears or peaches but you’re going to just give her chicken??” Yes Mom, that’s exactly what I said.

RoRo June 2, 2011 at 11:42 am

Hardy Har.. accidently did this… because of my old school Mom who was all.. just GIVE her the banana .. just give her the apple…so I listened.. and now she eats EVERYTHING.. and ANYTHING and according my doctor( which is code word fro Im about to brag but its not bragging because my doctor said it) E- is the healthiest baby she has met in a long time! Me (and I suppose some credit to my mom) =AWESOME! Thanks to that and her awesome tall genes.. she is the weight and height of a three year old… at 19 months! but my poor walet.. new clothes all the time.

YAY for you!

Sara June 2, 2011 at 12:01 pm

We did this… and now my kid eats crap like LIMA BEANS. And loves them.

And people look at us like we’re nuts when we order him the grilled chicken and vegetable medley at Red Robin… until he starts chowing and then they’re all WHOA how did you get him to be such a good eater? while their kid is, as you said, covered in pureed liver bean gravy sauce. Because obviously.

Windy City Kelleys June 2, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I did this with Ethan without even really knowing I was doing it. E HATED baby food. All baby food. I’m pretty sure he hated the texture from the start. So my doctor just said that was fine and to start him on our food. So I cut up half my food at each meal and he’s been eating what we eat since he was 6 months. I thought it was so weird but now the kid eats everything we give him. He loves all food and it’s awesome!

ShabbyPrincess June 2, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Not a mom yet, so, I have no wisdom here, but, um, this sounds so solidly genius and hello, isn’t that kinda sorta what people did before blenders and canned baby food? Nicely done, hippies, nicely done.

Heather @ Side of Sneakers June 2, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I think baby led weaning sounds great, although it’s definitely a stupid name-someone needs to get more creative. I would think it would help them make food choices as kids and eat the same normal foods adults do instead of chicken mashed into animal shapes.

RachS June 2, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Love that you are doing this. I thought about it, but am a wuss. Maybe I’ll reconsider. Spooning mush into my sons mouth is PITA, and it gets EVERYWHERE.
By the way, my son J turns 6 months next week, he was born Dec. 6. I knew he and G were close in age, but didn’t know they were that close. Love reading the adventures and misadventures of someone going through the same things I am.

Marley June 2, 2011 at 11:01 pm

You need to explain this concept more. It seems like your reasons for doing everything are very odd.

You don’t want to deal with the messes of pureed food, but you want a six month old to feed himself. I fed my child purees and never got any in my hair or on the floor. Bowl to spoon to mouth isn’t really that messy. The mess comes in when they start feeding themselves. I’m also not sure about other people, but I have never had to puree food while at a party for “regular food eating people.”

It seems dangerous to me to give chunks of food to a baby. My child could definitely take bites of things by about 5 months without any teeth. I would never have given him a hunk of meat to suck on. I think this will be the thing that brings you completely to the dark side of the norm. Don’t forget to bring your non-trendy, doesn’t-match-my-room-decor mobile and ugly, annoying Jumperoo too!

D June 3, 2011 at 12:56 pm

It isn’t dangerous. I have three kids to prove it. I mean, I wasn’t feeding my 5 month old solids as they were only breast fed at that point, but my 6 month olds did wonderfully with “hunks of meat”. They are obviously super advanced. ;)

What does a jumperoo have to do with it, or are you just going for bitch effect here?

Rei June 3, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Has to be for bitch effect. Has to be.
Unless she’s advocating feeding pureed foods to a kid who is busy bouncing in a jumperoo, which is obviously a great idea ;)

Marley June 3, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Actually it was in referrence to her previous post about actually needing and liking some of the mainstream baby items. MODG seems to be going out of her way to be uber modern and trendy instead of just giving in to some of the baby stuff. It’s okay to do things like everyone else. Even if you do find something “different” that you want to try with your child, it doesn’t mean that traditional ways are stupid or wrong. The BLW people are making it seem as though we are bad parents for feeing our children jarred baby food. Do you know what is in a jar of green beans? Green beans and water. My bitch effect was only in response to my baby being called stupid because I didn’t give him a whole apple to choke on at 6 months old.

D June 3, 2011 at 6:31 pm

I think that it is hilarious that you think that steaming and pureeing or opening a jar of puree mush is “traditional”.

“Baby food” is a term that didn’t even exist two generations ago. The “baby food” industry is now a 40 billion dollar goliath because people somehow believe that that babies are suddenly, after hundreds of thousands of years of existence, supposed to eat mush from a jar.

The only person insinuating that people who feed jarred food are bad parents are you. Defensive much?

Obvs if your baby could fit an entire whole apple into its mouth in order to choke it is super advanced, not stupid at all.

MODG June 3, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Woah, chill Marley. I’m not sure how me trying my hardest to be a raging hippie offends you. I never called you or your way or your child stupid. I’m not trying to be “trendy” I’m trying to be natural. I’m trying to take out learned stuff and do things the natural way. Like the whole reason puree jars exist is because doctors used to tell us to feed babies solids at 3 months. Now they know that 6 months is better. I don’t want to do something with my child and realize later that I could have done it in a way that was better for us and my family. Not you and your family. I actually don’t care about you or your child. Stupid or not. Just don’t be a bitch to get your point across. It just makes you look like a bitch, with some sort of point.

Rei June 4, 2011 at 1:50 am

It sounds like maybe Marley doesn’t understand the sarcastic wit of the MODG blog.
No need to assume that someone else choosing different sleeping/feeding/diapering/nursery decorating methods than yours means that your way is inferior or that your baby is actually stupid. Have a sense of humor, it makes life and parenthood more fun.

Elizabeth June 6, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Wow…really? We’re just talking about baby food, right? Or maybe I missed something. As modg said in her Switzerland post, shouldn’t we all support each other in what’s best for OUR babies and OUR families? What works for some won’t work for others and that is OKAY! I think the fact that we as moms get so heated over these issues just shows how crazy we are about our kiddos, but maybe focusing that energy on our kids instead of cutting down each other.

Jilly- J's Mom June 19, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

The Queen's Ramblings June 2, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Thanks for posting this. I’m going to a “First Spoonfuls” class on Saturday about making your own “pureed” baby food. I’m going to be that person that brings up this crazy rebel hippie concept!

Brandi June 2, 2011 at 11:24 pm

MODG, you are my fave blogger ever. true story. I can’t believe I’ve never heard of this… I have a 3 month baby boy and while solids are a ways off yet, I’m going to have to look into it!

Elizabeth June 3, 2011 at 12:11 am

Ok so I think this concept makes total sense, although we’ve been doing homemade pureed food for about a month and it’s going great. After reading your post yesterday I gave my son half a banana this a.m. What a mess! He dropped it like four times, and I had to dig it out of his lap every two seconds. Spoon feeding is definitely less messy for us. I think I’ll continue to try this at times, but the mess was gross, and then I ended up throwing away the expensive organic banana in the end. I hate wasting food, so that was frustrating. Oh well, the best part about parenting us figuring out what is best for YOU and YOUR baby and going with it. Good luck! Oh yeah, can we get updates on the eczema, nap times, crib sleeping and farty butt issues??

Heather June 3, 2011 at 5:53 am

OMGBOTFLOL (in circles, I hate those damn acronyms ), really? You just made me fall in love with you. Like, if we were not both married I would propose.
I have 2 kids. 2 mo – she will act like dramababy if I dont walk 120 times with her around the dining room table….I wish I was joking. since I did this tonight.
And a 1.5 yo. He whines if I dont find the correct color of apple.
I just want to wish you good luck when your G turns 13mo…..it gets worse and worse and worse. But boys can be super sweet and I love mine and would not trade him for my skinny jeans:)

Rebecca June 3, 2011 at 5:03 pm

I love this concept! I think is better (and easier) for mom and baby. I have an 8 mo old with no teeth and when we give him things to chew on, like a banana or cucumber he gums off a huge bite- every time! Then gags on it, which scares the crap out of me. How do you get the baby to not do that?!

Ragini June 3, 2011 at 6:40 pm

That 1st pic on G!

OMG uterus skip beat joy! Adorable. That’s the reason people have kids right? So they can stare all day at the cuteness of it all and go ‘I MADE THAT’.

Ragini June 3, 2011 at 6:41 pm

*That 1st pic of G!

Amy June 6, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I love this idea so much. Our baby is still but a teeny fetus and I’m already gagging at the thought of cleaning up pureed sweet potato and peas off every surface in the kitchen. Is it odd that pureed food grosses me out more than actual poop? Anyway, it makes sense at least in theory. Good luck!

ashley June 9, 2011 at 9:30 am

I like the idea of this, but one question- and it may be above in comments, but I dont have time to read all those. :)
How does he chew apples and stuff without teeth? Or, am I an idiot and gums can chew through that stuff?

Jen June 11, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I may or may not have suggested this to my hubby today by saying “what if I didn’t feed baby #3 any baby food. He looked at me and said, “you’ve already tried every other crazy baby thing out there…why should this be any different” So there you go. NOt only will my mother think I’m insane, so will my husband. word.

Sam @ Mom At The Barre June 13, 2011 at 10:02 am

I just found your blog and it looks like my little guy is a week younger than Dramababy (who is such a cutie!) so I am going through the exact same thing as you! Our house is such a mess and the “changes” in the diaper situation really isn’t helping…