MODG IS BACK. And I brought my friend Sleep with me. He’s gangster.

I imagine this is what time travel feels like. Except maybe a little drunker….drunker? more drunk? who cares.

Since project “get baby into the crib” we have had every.single.night in the crib from 8pm-7am with one wake up for boobs at 5am. I still can’t believe it. We moved the co-sleeper (magazine rack) out of our room and it all became official. Last night I sat on the couch with B and watched American Idol. That my friends hasn’t happened in maybe 7 months. When I was preg I slept all the time and just wanted to lay down. And for the past 5 months it’s been straight to bed with G. There was no loud talking allowed. No lights allowed. No fast movements allowed. No closing doors or drawers allowed. No burps or farts allowed. And very minimal breathing allowed. Now? It’s a freaking light and sound party. I mean I can turn on both lights AND sounds at 2am if I want. I can stand up and jump on the goddamn bed if it so pleases me. And AND? I can turn up the volume on the tv past level 8. WILD, I KNOW.

B asked me what the best part of our new found freedom was. I told him it was being able to read a magazine. You know, with lights and stuff. I think he expected me to say “quality time with my husband”. But quality time with my husband doesn’t show me the best jeans for a petite hourglass for the spring that recently appeared on Gossip Girl. Sorry B.

Here’s the bonus of it all. G is like a different kid. The drama is WAY toned down. Think more Bethenny and less Jill Zarin. And he’s doing stuff now. Like after the 2nd night of a full nights sleep on his own, he did a full back to tummy to back roll. That’s a big developmental step. It’s like he was begging us all along to let him sleep and we were holding him back. I have a new respect for G. He can do stuff, if I let him.

We’re still working on naps. Changing his schedule has been much harder than I thought. I’m trying to get him past the cat naps and take fewer, longer naps. Although the term “cat nap” is bullshit as my dumb cats sleep all the damn day. And I say dumb because while I’m worrying about G’s naps, B is worrying about Willy figuring out the cat door he put to their litter box. Dumb.

And because I have all this free time now, I obviously made a video of G’s new trick.

PS I like him way more now that he sleeps. True.

POSTED IN: Awesome things,babies,Dramababy,Mom Stuff

Lisa May 12, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Its awesome when you get your sleep back. My daughter is 6 months and sleeps like a champ and I am still exhausted all of the time. I just barely started feeling a little more like my former mommy-self. Brace yourself! It gets better every day.

M May 12, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Like you, we cosleep when they are infants. Like you, we moved them around 4 months or so (right around the time that they decided that nursing all night was awesome, and I decided that it wasn’t). Like you, my kids all went to one wake up/night between bedtime at 6.30 and morning at 7.30. They all (3) dropped that one feeding by 7 months or so, and sleep straight through, all night, every night. Bravo, my friend. I think that there is something wonderful about giving G all the comfort and security that he needed when he NEEDED it, and giving him the awesome skill of self soothing and the ability to sleep alone when both he and you needed it. Good on you, MODG. So happy for you. Its a whole new world.

Also ~ don’t fret if things get wonky when he cuts a tooth or learns to crawl or whatnot…..milestones always play with sleep in a bad, but BRIEF way. Thanks to the skills you have helped him learn he will get through them a lot easier than other babies.

CONGRATS! Enjoy your hard earned freedom!

Reichel May 12, 2011 at 3:19 pm

OK, so do you wish you had started this whole bag sooner? Or was 5mths a good age? Debating on kicking baby girl into her own crib, she’s 3mths…thoughts?

MODG May 12, 2011 at 3:23 pm

We tried this at 3 months. did not fly. 5 months was way better. He was more learny then.

Reichel May 12, 2011 at 4:06 pm

sigh…okie. Commencing countdown to 5mths ;)

MODG May 15, 2011 at 10:18 am

I think 4 months could have worked

BCJ May 12, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Very impressive rolling G! Congrats to MODG and welcome back to life. :-) Re: baby gates… Retract-a-Gate. Period. Don’t mess around with the others. They are just ugly, irritating, and often loud.

Allison Zapata May 12, 2011 at 3:22 pm

FUCK. YEAH.

Samantha May 12, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Totally unrelated, but, as I watched the video of G, YouTube suggested that the music video to Limp Bizkit’s “Rollin’” might be similar. I agreed.

MODG May 12, 2011 at 3:23 pm

B wanted me to use that song. I said no.

Elle May 12, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Good call MODG.

Jamers13 May 12, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Omg, I totally peed a little giggling at the video and tootsie roll! (it might be the lack of bladder control I have at 38 weeks) I love reading your posts, it makes me less scared that in a week or so I will have a dramababy! Thanks so much for all your sharing and super excited for you that G is an amazing little man!

Kelly May 12, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I have never been so happy for a another person’s getting a good night sleep. Congrats!!

Anne May 12, 2011 at 3:32 pm

According to my sources (books, lots of books), and my experience with my 2 kids, naps take longer to get organized. Nighttime sleep comes first, a month or so later Dramababy will nap like a champ for you! One trick, keep him awake a full 2 hours, and if he wakes up before 1 hour of napping, leave him. Even if he cries. It’s just like teaching them to fall asleep, you are teaching him to stay asleep. But he’ll get there, and nap time will be spent shopping online.

Amanda @ The Fix-Its May 12, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I want to dress up like Jasmine and sing, “A Whole New World” to you.

Brittany May 16, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Plz video.

wonderchris May 12, 2011 at 3:56 pm

That kid has got that shit down! So, so, so glad life is brighter in your world – that sparkles.

Acacia May 12, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I’m pretty sure that your husband is wearing Oregon Duck shorts, so not only did I love you for being awesome.. but now extra cool points for Oregon shorts!!

Colleen May 12, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Hey Modg-

First of all I can’t tell you how excited I am for you and the wonder that is getting your life back. It’s been super fun to read these past few posts and celebrate for you. My son was not a great sleeper at first, but two things that really, really, really worked for us were to 1.) shorten his wake time, and b.) employ the 1 hour rule. I learned somewhere that when babies only take 30 minute naps it’s often because they are overtired and they’ve been awake too long. I’m not sure how long you are keeping him awake between naps, and I honestly can’t remember how long my son stayed up at that age, but something makes me want to say an hour and a half or an hour 15 minutes, and the time before the first nap was even shorter- like an hour- hour fifteen. You can play around with the waketimes until you find the sweet spot (which will of course change as soon as you figure it out). The 1 hour rule was that my son had to stay in his crib for an hour, so if he woke up after 30 minutes, he stayed in his crib for another 30 minutes. It’s tough at first but I promise, if you are really consistent with it, eventually G will learn how to go back to sleep if he wakes up after 45 minutes! That took a little while, but now my almost one year old takes two naps a day and both of them are almost 2 hours! Somedays even more! And he’s the happiest kid ever. I read and tried EVERYTHING under the sun regarding baby sleep because my kid didn’t do it, so if you want to email me I’d be happy to share what I’ve learned. It will make me feel less crazy for literally buying every infant book amazon.com had to offer- and also paid $35 for one day of email consultation with a sleep specialist- don’t judge, I was desperate. (Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child is the best book by far. If you don’t have it, let me know and I’ll for real send it to your p.o. box….I owe my sanity to that man who wrote it)

Congrats again!

Amy May 15, 2011 at 8:02 am

Colleen we need to chitter! I have bought several books claiming to have the best method for my baby (babywise, happiest baby on the block). I’ve bought a nap nanny (stupid) and several other things that are supposed to make my baby sleep and they DONT WORK. I have several questions for you about the method you did. My email is amywoodrum@gmail.com if you could email me that would awesome. THANKS!

Leah May 16, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I’m only jumping in to say that if the guy who wrote “Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child” had a church, we would tithe to it. That dude saved my soul.

Heidi May 12, 2011 at 4:00 pm

In the still shot of the video, B’s knee looks like a hairy baby’s butt.

Also that’s great about G… :)

Mandy S. May 12, 2011 at 4:01 pm

CONGRATULATIONS! I am so happy for you! And go, G! He’s awesome.

Jillian- J's mom May 12, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Yay! I know you have like a million people that love you and want to be your bff and you prob think “Pssshhh you only WISH you were as cool as me”…. but I just wanna say I have a three month old and your adventures the past few weeks have given me a lot of hope! I am just now researching different methods to get my son Jameson in his crib… I always associated Ferber with Satan but now I’m thinkin maybe I should give it a try in a couple months??? Good job!!!

Norma May 12, 2011 at 4:08 pm

loving the work of art, perfection ;)

Linnzi May 12, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Oh sleep is a wonderful thing. When my little guy started sleeping 10 hours my life changed. He is 11 months now. I love your blog and baby G is so cute. Love the video too!

Leah May 12, 2011 at 4:20 pm

God, he is just so cute. And yay for sleep!

Tamara@CatfishtoCaviar May 12, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Mazel tov. Next thing you know, he’ll be standing up and talking back. I was so excited to get the twins into their own room because they grunted all night. That’s right, grunted. I actually googled “grunting babies” and, apparently, it’s a phemonemon created by infants to keep their parents awake at night.

Enjoy your zzz’s.

xx

Kaitlin May 12, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I am absolutely in love with that tape! How cute is your child!!

Ana May 12, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I’m so glad you made that last comment. I totally loved my son way more once he started sleeping well! It all gets better every day, I swear!

MommyLisa May 12, 2011 at 4:55 pm

A video AND a paint drawing. Not that is something awesome.

Jen Gacek May 12, 2011 at 6:35 pm

YAY….congrats! I know how good that feels having went through that with my 3 little boys. To watch normal TV again at a decent hour is DEE-VINE! As for the catnaps….don’t worry, they will work themselves out. All 3 of my boys were catnappers until they were about 6 months old. Then it was one nap in the morning from 9:00 – 10:30, a nap in the afternoon from 1:00 – 3:00 and then a quick nap from 5:00 – 5:30 or 6 ish, then back to bed at 7:30 until 7:30 the next morning. Even now, they are 5, 4, and 3 years old and still go to bed at 7:30 and get up at 7:30 the next day. ROUTINE! FOREVER! Means more Real Housewives for mommy ;)

Eunice May 12, 2011 at 7:31 pm

I probably won’t have a baby for another decade, but I will do my best to remember this because it sounds like vital information. Congrats on the sleep and a rolling G!

Carla May 12, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Your last line is my favorite! We love our babies no matter what, but we like them way more when we have had a few winks. I do agree with Jen Gacek that sometimes a little longer for the nap schedule to sort itself out. Another word of unsolicited advice: no one warned me that the second I got into a comfortable routine something would eff it up, knowing this helps you roll with it and soon there will be a new normal. Not that you need my advice since you are obviously supermom.

Kathy May 12, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Now that you have him sleeping from 8-7am with the 5 am feeding…you can start going in and feeding him between 10-11pm so that he’ll sleep straight through until 7am. It may take a week, but life will get even better once that starts happening. I kid you not!

Luz May 12, 2011 at 9:30 pm

This didn’t work for my baby. I think that waking them to feed will actually create a habit. It’s better that they wake ob their own, when they’re actually hungry, such as the 5am feeding. What I did with my daughter when she woke up at 5am was give her the pacifier just to see if I could prolong the time in between feedings a little more each night until she was able to get to 6 or 7 am. But I started doing this after she started eating solids and getting more calories in during the day. But you’re the only one that knows your baby, so do whatever works.

Lluvia May 13, 2011 at 10:54 am

I agree. Mine started waking up for feeding at 5-6 at first, and gradually she woke up later and later on her own. She now wakes up at 7 but has her bottle at 8.

Regina May 12, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Yay!! I am so happy for you that you are getting sleep- I can all too relate with your sleep issue, and I remember the giddyness of finally getting some decent fricken sleep. I think I was a couple more weeks away from a total mental breakdown.

He is such a cute little bug, love the video

Alexandria May 12, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I noticed a huge change in my son when we finally worked through our sleep issues when he as a baby. And it still rings true now at 2 1/2 that kids NEED sleep. It’s vital for their development. AND it makes everything else better.

Ashley May 16, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I definitely 100% agree with this. My son is 2.5 also and if he doesn’t get a 2 hour nap (or more) it’s like someone traded my kid in for Chuckie or something. He NEEDS that sleep and he’s so much more articulate, agile and coordinated when he is rested. SLEEP IS AMAZING.

Rebecca May 12, 2011 at 11:20 pm

so happy for the MODG house – and for the fact that regularly-blogging-MODG is back in full swing! selfish? yes. but for realzies, so happy.

Ashleigh May 12, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Congratulations on the sleep. It is strange how you feel like you are “on something” when you go from little sleep to enough sleep. Congratulations on the rolling too, it means he’s strong.

jo May 13, 2011 at 8:01 am

congratulations. how good is sleep? don’t you just love it? i remember when our youngest finally started sleeping through and it was the most wonderous, most marvelous thing in the world.
hooray for you & B
jo

Suburban H.I.T. May 13, 2011 at 8:17 am

Awesome news! I will never forget the first time Babes slept through the night – although she was falling asleep at 5 and waking up at 5 the next morning…I guess after months of drama baby, G’s decided to give his parents a little morning break :)

Now that he’s sleeping – he’ll definitely start doing more stuff! Babies need sleep to process everything they’ve learned during the day. Get ready – this is a really fun time and they grow SUPER quick. Before you know it, he’ll be taking over the world.

I don’t know if you received this book as a baby gift, but every time I read it to Babes, I think of G – http://www.amazon.com/Boss-Baby-Marla-Frazee/dp/1442401672/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305289009&sr=8-1.

demi May 13, 2011 at 9:33 am

yay!!! i believe that you just got over the hardest hurdle of having a new baby…it REALLY does get better! then comes the fun stuff like solids, walking, and all those glorious milestones that make it all worth it! Just think…”building blocks”… you are setting up those building blocks for G to grow into an awesome kiddo. Great job momma. :)

Briana May 13, 2011 at 12:22 pm

This is the first post of yours that I have read after a friend directed me here and I can already see that we have the exact same life! We have a 5-month-old and I’ve been doing CIO/Ferber with naps for over 2 weeks with absolutely no success. We did our first night of CIO last night and she already took her total full nap – woke up after 30 minutes – cried/fussed for like 15 and then went back to sleep for 50 minutes. If you haven’t already tried it, I recommend, “Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby.” I think I’m still going to do 2 feedings a night because she is still eating but have hope that this CIO at night thing will grant me the intoxicating freedom you have found!

Janet May 13, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Wahoo! Just… Wahoo!

Meli May 13, 2011 at 12:56 pm

That is such a HUGE turning point in every new {or old} parents lives!!!! And don’t think too much about “Oh I shoulda done this soooner!” It is probably just a new found freedom!!! DREAM….congrats. That’s werid that I am excited for you. But I am! Cheers.

allison May 13, 2011 at 1:03 pm

SOOOO happy for you and G and B and magazines and light!!! if our infant experience had been like yours, we would have been divorced before we got to 5 months!!!! I am a Ferber fan…but always scared to proclaim that on the interwebs for obvs reasons. Sleep = happier baby = happier mommy!!!!! Thanks for illustrating that it works and is NOT cruel!

Laura @ vodka logic May 13, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I am happy for you but why would anyone cosleep to begin with..yikes.

My oldest slept thru the night at 3 1/2 weeks..and the second is 16 and still doesnt sleep

Maggie May 14, 2011 at 11:38 am

People co-sleep for a lot of reasons, some due to the simple fact that you are so asstired that you fall asleep with the kid on you and call it bedtime……..

Soooo happy for you, G and the whole, rested MODG household! Baby sleeping in crib = pink/purple sparkly hearts covered in unicorns, pixie dust and kitten dreams. True that.

But would it be wrong right now to giggle slightly to myself while thinking about your next sleep hurdle which will be when G moves to his own big boy bed and you are forced to once again go in his room 120 times each night to tell him to get back in bed? Yes, it would be wrong? oops, sorry. my bad. ;) just wandering down my own memory lane……..

Jen May 14, 2011 at 10:59 pm

I’m tardy to this party…but I’m curious if Drama Baby takes a pacifier? I’m thinking no, since he is a boob man only – but wanted to ask. I have a 3.5 month old baby boy and I love the snuggles but I’m getting ready to give him the boot to his own bed. wondering how the whole paci thing will play out with that.

Eluzabeth May 15, 2011 at 12:07 am

Paci is a life saver for us! My son has been in his crib since three mths and if he wakes during the night we pop the paci back in and he’s good to go! Don’t know what we’d do without it!

MODG May 15, 2011 at 10:20 am

No he doesn’t. Or a bottle….
He doesn’t get it. He just chews on it.

Jen May 15, 2011 at 5:38 pm

probably for the best…one less battle to fight later on. Thanks for replying!

Eluzabeth May 15, 2011 at 12:13 am

MODG, please let us know when you figure out the cat naps thing. My son naps three times a day for forty minutes. Every once in a while he goes longer. I’m seeing where others let their babies cry until they fall back asleep, but that doesn’t work for Miller. I’ve tried it once and he got do worked up I couldn’t take it anymore. I kinda feel selfish for wanting him to take longer naps because he’s perfectly happy with his cat naps. I mean, can you really MAKE a baby take longer naps?? If you figure it out, let me know!

Maggie May 15, 2011 at 9:57 am

I used the 1 hour rule like someone above described and it worked great (leave in crib at least 1hr after falling asleep). Rarely did he fall back to sleep during that training period, but it taught him that when he stirred at the end of a sleep cycle (after 30-45 min), he learned to not wake himself up fully because he won’t get anything fun out of it (me). I found that going to him immediately 30 or 45 min naps reinforced the short naps. Only had a to cry a few times at first to get the hang of 1hr + naps. We did this around 6-7 months, and occasionally since. He’s 11 months now.

MODG May 15, 2011 at 10:20 am

We’re trying the one hour rule thing

chinamommy May 16, 2011 at 10:33 am

Yippeeeeeeeee, so HAPPY for you!! and can you find some jeans in one of your many fashion magazines for someone 4′ 11-3/4″ tall? Now that you have all this free time I’d like you to get on that!
thanks

Renee Tokarchuk May 16, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Hey just wanted to update you, because YOU have changed my sleep life :) :) :) We are day 8 of our 10 mo old girl in the crib from……drumroll please: 8PM – 7AM (sometimes longer!) She is down to about 5 minutes of fussing at night time. Naps are still a bit of a challenge but improving. I know, I know I already told you this, but SERIOUSLY, if it weren’t for your blog I wouldn’t have even tried this again for who knows how long. Last time that we tried, she just wasn’t ready, and then I suddenly thought it was too late. Anyway, thanks for the tip on it not just being “cry-it-out” like I thought it was. It really helps to know I’m not ruining the lesson by checking on her regularly.

L May 18, 2011 at 12:09 pm

So…What are the jeans? This post HOPEFULLY will be an answer to my prayers. I have just spent the last HOUR AND A HALF online trying to find jeans, I gave up and went back to blog stalking. Then **poof** I find this post.

Please help me. I am 5′ EVEN, 110 and hourglass (curvy). And old-ish (42). I find very little in clothing options.