In honor of earth day, I’m super maximizing my hippie status beyond my wildest dreams.

Things that happened this week:

1) I’ve become a stomach genius

2) I called 4 asians in search of chicken feet. 1 hung up on me.

3) I’m completely revolutionizing the way I think about, talk about, and poop about food.

And this is why I'd eat chicken feet and gizzards.

In my never ending quest to distinguish my tiny fart rocket boy, I’ve discovered the GAPS diet. 2 separate women recommended it to me (1 from whole foods and 1 from my breastfeeding group). And you all know I’ll believe anything any hippie has to say, ever. Because they are magic. I looked it up and was all HELL NO am I eating fermented fish and chicken livers and raw milk. And no way am I cooking everything from scratch. And no no no I will not give up my delicious grains and pastas and things that are pastel for easter (even though they were made of rice at this point). And then I read more and more and then I became OBSESSED. Because I knew that I had definitely found the reason for dramababy’s farts and sads. I had the answer in my hands.

Here’s the idiot science theory behind the GAPS diet (me being the idiot). When you eat tons and tons of breads, cookies, cakes, pastas your whole life, the balance of digestive bacteria in your belly gets all crazy like and yeasty. Stuff grows wild and suddenly digestion becomes a shit storm (pun). Add in a few years of antibiotics which also throws off your natural enzymes and tummy bugs, and you can have problems. Food that doesn’t get digested makes it’s way from your stomach into your body and your body fights it off like it’s an intruder. And then an allergy is born. Or sometimes you just get diarrhea or constipation or thrush, or UTI’s, or butt nuts. Here’s a non idiot summary.

Now back to me. I’m a sugar addict. (cereal marshmallows and twizzlers please). I hate yogurt, pickles, sauerkraut, milk, eggs (foods that create good probiotics). In college I was on straight antibiotics for A FULL YEAR. Doctors are assholes. After I had baby G I was on antibiotics again and fed my sadness with gummy penguins. G quickly developed thrush (overgrowth of yeast) and reflux. Through nursing, I was passing on this bacteria imbalance in his brand new tummy and is already developing intolerances to everything and allergies. And by the way, they just released a study that zantac for baby’s neutralizes too much stomach acid and upsets digestion in the long term. THANKS AGAIN DOCTORS.

So now what….

Now I become a mad woman. Last night G slept for 13 minutes total. Today we booked our asses to Whole Foods and started the preparation. I have to tell you that this diet is no joke. The only people who do it are like half dead from their stomach issues or have a baby that won’t shut up. Because you totally need that sort of motivation to get through this. There’s no way I can go into the detail of this diet for you here. Because you’ll 1) puke and 2) tell your friends what a maniac I am (if that hasn’t happened already). So if you are interested in something like this, look more into it. For now, feast your eyes on some of our GAPS happening in the house.

Homemade chicken stock. With bones and gizzards and the like.

bone marrow broth. I am not kidding.

Making homemade ghee. Ghee is hippie for butter.

I read all of this which makes me a stomach genius.

magic hippie juice. Needed the chicken feet. Asians were not helpful.

I AM whole foods. Pay me 49 dollars for a lb of peppers. thank you.

More to come about our own food revolution. Oh B is not on board. He said he would do it if he could have beer though. I told him to take his beer and his 8 hours of sleep and shove it.

Fingers crossed internet.

EARTH MODG

POSTED IN: babies,Being Asian 2010,Dramababy,Eating Innapropriately,Mom Stuff

Rach April 22, 2011 at 5:05 pm

I have a good girlfriend with a son who has autism and some pretty serious food allergies, and she was at the end of her rope… until she figured out something similar to this. She makes her own ghee and uses it for pretty much anything you’d use fats for, and she makes her own pecan flour (she swears it’s not as hard as it sounds). And the end result is that her son is happy and functioning and learning new things every day… and you know what, it’s totally worth it to her, and I’d do it in a heartbeat too.

Good for you, darlin. A thousand million Suri-sparkle points to you! Happy Easter (or whatever hippie holiday you’re celebrating these days)!! ;)

Kelly @Dare to be Domestic April 22, 2011 at 5:13 pm

You are going to start a revolution with this – mark my words. Most of this stuff seems totally out there but I hope that in the end the cooking from scratch will help calm you. Cooking for me is like yoga, especially chopping. I NEVER thought I’d feel that way, ever!

I hope this works for Baby G! And for you. After you get done nursing him do you think you’ll stick to this? Trust me I’m a sugar maniac! I feel for you girl. MAY THE POWER OF THE HIPPIE BE WITH YOU!!!

Miranda April 22, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I’m glad you are charting these territories first so that if my second (as yet unconceived and still in negotiations) spawn has the same issues J had I’ve got an expert to pester about what, exactly, I actually CAN eat.

Hope this works for you!

katie April 22, 2011 at 5:20 pm

get it girl!

Lillie April 22, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Good luck modg! Happy thoughts to you and baby G, hoping you’ve finally found something to make the both of you happy and healthy! love and sparkles.

sarah April 22, 2011 at 5:46 pm

As someone who is nearing the half-way mark in her first pregnancy, I am a sponge for all things that could or should or would happen to the darling creature that will find its way into the world come September. Your blog has been terrifyingly wonderful for many reasons, but chief among them are your honesty, frankability (it’s a word to me), and humor.

Most other blogs that touch on this stuff just scare the sparkle right out of me, but you manage to make me think that really, anything is possible. And my husband is grateful that I am no longer self-inducing panic attacks by reading other aforementioned horror blogs.

Keep it up. And thank you.

Becky Mochaface April 22, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Good luck Modg!

Sugar Bostick April 22, 2011 at 6:16 pm

That is some serious dedication. Whoa. Serious kudos to you with all kinds of sparkly streamers.

Chicken feet? Are you freakin’ serious?

Rachel April 22, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Kuddos to you, sister! Hope everything works out well. I am assuming this is a cleanse of sorts? You won’t to eat chicken feet every day for the rest of your life, will you?

Lindsay April 22, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Same sparkling question. Because holy sweet chubby baby jesus in a manger out in the garage I would petition FOR you for sainthood. Side note: this goes in the “MODG Guide To Life” You know, when you’re not cooking chicken feet with one hand while another’s shoved in a baby’s mouth. Secondary side note: Can you trade in hippie points for a 3rd arm?

MODG April 22, 2011 at 6:58 pm

It’s a detox for a week and then a way of life for (ready for it) 2 years.
After the detox portion I can eat fruits and honey and nut flower to make special treats.

Kaela April 23, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Can’t you stop after you’re done breastfeeding? Or are you going to stay on it for the two years? I suppose if you guys are going to have another child….

At any rate – you are a saint and this is one of those things you can hold over G’s head for the rest of his life. Nothing like a legitimate guilt trip to make him clean his room.

Mo April 22, 2011 at 7:03 pm

YOU totally rock, for what you are willing to do for your baby. Many people would just throw their hands in the air, name it “collick” and give up.

Toasts you with a Marrow broth martini??

Winn April 22, 2011 at 7:28 pm

You just get more and more awesome. I’ve been doing a modified version of this and my life got better in under 2 weeks. I dropped 2 1/2 sizes and almost 20 pounds. I don’t what came out of my body, but my energy went through the roof. You go, earth modg!

Meg April 22, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Major good hippie luck to you! And lots of sleep too.

victoria April 22, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I am a 54 y/o, childless, lesbian hardcore hippie- even homeless peeps call me OG Hippie and I Love You!!! I can buy chicken feet 1 block from my house in heavenly San Francisco- I feed them to my dogs. And my dogs say- raw, organic is the way to go- no vet bills- beautiful coats- well you didnt ask about my dogs, did you. Kudos and peace out.

CMC April 22, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Hi MODG,
I want to be supportive of your GAPS decision, but I am just wondering why not try dramababy on the expensive formula? We used Nutramigen, for the first 6-7 months because of our sensitive stomach issues and it is expensive, but it’s not super crazy expensive, just like 5-10 dollars more than the regular formula… I know that adds up, but babies are just expensive I guess. So, I’m really not trying to be a smartass just wondering.. Not that you have to answer internet strangers questions, I’m really just wondering…. The best advice I got when I was going crazy from breastfeeding/pumping/mastitis issues was that my baby needed the best mom I could be, and if I could be a better mom from not being crazy from all the breastfeeding issues then maybe I should quit breastfeeding.. So, I did and it was totally the right decision for me and it did help me to be a better mom and not focus so much on the stress that came along with all of the breastfeeding issues. Again, just internet stranger’s 2 cents, if it helps at all… Throwing it out there, and no disrespect intended. Good luck with the GAPS diet, if that’s the route you intend to follow.

MODG April 23, 2011 at 8:21 pm

a couple reasons
1) he won’t take a bottle. He chews on it.
2) it’s much more expensive than breastfeeding (free)
3) it tastes like dorito diapers
4) G is so high strung, the one thing that gives him comfort is breastfeeding and I don’t want to take that away from him since he already feels sick.
5) Lots of people have told us his gas issues could get worse if we switch and risk decreasing my milk supply
6) It’s easy and I’m lazy. I don’t know how you people “make bottles” at 3 am. I would die.

LynzB April 25, 2011 at 11:37 am

I’m totally with you on #6. Not only is breastfeeding comforting for both me and A, I cannot IMAGINE f-ing with formula-making and bottle prep&cleaning at all hours of the day and night. Not to mention the added crap in your diaper bag. Good luck on this GAPS thing modg. I’m curious to read about it. From your photos, I’m pretty sure I can’t live another day without knowing exactly what kind of torture you’re enduring for your handsome little man. You rock with sparkles!

maggie August 10, 2011 at 1:07 am

oh yes to #6! i can barely stand to wash one sippy cup a day! i can’t imagine having to wash bottles.
just found your blog from your world breastfeeding week post.
-maggie

Legallyblondemel April 22, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Hang in there, lady. I nearly had to go GAPS myself before we figured out I was having a supply issue (hello, TMI!), and I understand feeling like you’d do anything (a) to help your upset baby and (b) get a full night’s sleep, or just a small fraction of that, again.

(Also, hi – I’m the jerk that didn’t read anyone’s blogs for the first 10 months of my son’s life.)(Not that you’re waiting around for me to leave you comments or whatever.) (But, still – I suck.)

Alli B April 22, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Good luck with all of this MODG! And for the record – I’ll be a full-fledged real doctor in a month and you’ll be happy to know I am completely 100% anti-antibiotics when they’re not needed. I’ve only taken antibiotics twice since I was a baby (both for strep throat because that’s legit). I get really upset when doctors prescribe them for viruses (when they’re unnecessary) or when patients demand them for viruses. We’ve all had viruses. You sit at home, drink some soup, feel like crap for a few days, sleep a lot and then go back to work. No need for drugs that are creating all these terrible antibodies and strong, strong bacteria. Anywho, best of luck and please keep us posted! I love your blog!

LynzB April 25, 2011 at 11:42 am

Amen! I also think it’s ethically reprehensible for doctors to be prescribing antibiotics for patients who don’t need them, simply because the patient is demanding them. Who’s the doctor???? I’m guessing it’s NOT the moron demanding a Z-pack for the sniffles. Tell them no and send them home with a scrip for hot soup and decaf tea.  Good luck in your new career! Woo hoo!

MissCaron April 22, 2011 at 9:11 pm

YAY! Good for you. My sister from a very young age had some pretty bad thyroid problems (goiter and all) and by the age of 12 we were taking her to Nemours twice a month for bloodwork and they were testing her for cancer. The doctors had her on the highest adult dosage of Synthroid and still nothing was working. They literally told my mom there was nothing more they could do and that they would most likely have to remove the thyroid and she’d be on major drugs the rest of her life. So my mom said shove it up your ass and then did a bunch of research, like what they did before doctors (thyroid problems have been around forever). So, with some lambs thyroid (not kidding) and a way altered diet, my sister turned her life around. After a few months they went back to the doctor just to make sure that she was really doing as well as my mom thought she was and the doctors confirmed it. They asked her what she did. They couldn’t believe it. They said it was a miracle. NO it wasn’t… what was a miracle is that my mother didn’t trust the doctor’s diagnosis and took matters into her own hands. I’m happy to say that my sister is 23 years old. College graduate. Married. Happily living her life and here’s the kicker… doesn’t take any medicine anymore because she doesn’t need it! I’m sure that a pregnancy might mess her up again but that’s nothing that can’t be fixed should the situation arise. I’m so glad that my mother researched everything on her own because cancer? In a 12 year old? When it’s totally something that is hormonal and can most often be cured? Amazing. I wish you nothing but luck, my dear! :-)

Sarah RDH April 22, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Good luck to you!!! I think it’s awesome you are trying so hard to find a way to cure the belly issues! When my daughter was starting to go through it all, a family friend (who breifly babysat ds, it didnt last long, he hated going there and once I sya this comment you’ll prolly figure out why….) was asking me how she was doing one day and I gave her a quick run down of whatever formula & meds she was on at the time, and she literally laughed in my FACE (GRRRRRRR) and said “Oh those doctors told me all my kids had reflux too, but I am not buying that expensive formula, I’d rather let them scream.”

WHAT?!?!!?!?!?! And this is why she does not babysit my children. Good for you for being a responsible mother. :)
Oh- I was having email issues, so I couldn’t respong to yours last week, but I wanted to tell you I found a lot of great info on reflux rebels.com; I found the group through babycenter. They saved our lives. Really.

Daisy April 22, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Good luck. For what it is worth I have no kids (but I’m sort of hippie-ish, as hippie as you can be while enjoying nice wine and shopping for handbags with your work bonus money) but yet I read this whole post and found myself nodding in agreement. I took antibiotics my entire senior year of high school and I swear I’m still screwed up from it.

Melissa April 23, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I also have no kids, but can also agree and be in awe by all your doing. Your dedication is admirable. Baby G will grow up to be a healthy baby and will thank his mommy for all this hardwork.

Regina April 22, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I really admire your dedication, and am really anxious to see how it goes. Getting such little sleep sucks ass, I hope this works well for you-

Melissa April 22, 2011 at 10:29 pm

So…I can’t email you because my MAC makes me sign up for a .mac account and I already have like 3 email addresses, so sorry for everyone else reading this. It’s late and I should be sleeping.

MODG…I am going on this crazy train with you. I commented before when you thought it was just allergies/sensitivities/colic/alien possession, etc. and have been interested to see how it’s all working out for you guys since it really isn’t for us! I BF’ed Ellie for 18 months, total elimination of dairy (then soy) and girlfriend just out of the blue got a yeast infection diaper rash and is now allergic to eggs — though she has been tolerating them for 6 months. Somethin’ ain’t right with her and I have been trying to figure out WHAT, well ever since I had to give up Nutella and Haagen Daaz. This makes sense to me, too, and though I don’t see any of the psych issues with Ellie since she’s now 20 months old, I gave her a new type of cereal the other day (with spelt milk — yes, spelt…it’s the only non-dairy drink she likes that has calcium added to it that I can find down here — we live in Brazil — and not a ton of sugar!) and it was basically the international version of cinnamon squares in the US and right away, she had liquid poo with about 2T of ENTIRE peas from lunch sitting right in the middle of her cloth diaper (– yes, I’m a hippie convert, too.) Only allergen listed was WHEAT. So now, I’m like GREAT…what else do I need to eliminate from her diet, because she’s had a bad diaper rash for 2 days where she won’t even let us wipe her butt because it hurts so bad and we have to hose her down in the shower! When will this end?! What next?

And…I’m pregnant again and worried that the same thing is going to happen to new baby. In addition, we took her to a gastro ped down here who was surprised we diagnosed her ourselves (well, me….hubby Matt thought I was crazy at first!) with a dairy allergy and basically said to try dairy again in 6 months and see how she does and I was like, it’s not just dairy…it’s eggs and soy, too, and she just said she should grow out of it and told us we could do a biopsy of her esophagus and that would determine (though not definitively!) if she had an allergy she would outgrow or that she’d have for life. For serious. FIX IT, MD…don’t tell me to wait and see and or drug my baby and take a piece of her esophagus out and give me a BS answer. I swear you SO have to be your own advocate, as well as your kids, and I’m glad it only took a beer for B to get on board, but stick with your gut instinct. I know this is going to help!

And, since you put your life on the internet anyway, did you have a lot of yeast infections or were constipated growing up and/or during your pregnancy? I went apeshit on dairy (I am addicted. Seriously I would put parmesan cheese on anything and drank gallons of milk a week.) after I stopped nursing Ellie and BAM! Yeast infection with a side of constipation and in the last 2 months since I’ve stopped nursing and have been still eating dairy (though not like I did the days following her weaning!), I have had 3 yeast infections. The last one, I was home in the US a few weeks ago and went to Whole Foods and got some probiotic specific for yeasters and it did the trick and I was feeling better the next AM! Now, I’m out of the pills and I can tell another one is coming.

So basically, keep at it and keep telling us how it’s going! I have no idea how I’m going to pull this off with the limited supply of organic anything down here, much less getting Ellie to eat some of these concoctions, but I am convinced that it’s bigger than just an “intolerance” and I don’t want her (or new baby) to have the same problems I did growing up and I’d like her to enjoy ice cream one day and not feel left out at school because she can’t eat anything the other kids can! Also, I felt/feel the same way about the special formula. It smelled like ass and in desperation I tried to give it to Ellie, but she wouldn’t have anything to do with it (smart girl) and I have a feeling G baby wouldn’t be down with it anyway for the same reasons.

Again, sorry for the word vomit. Good luck!

Rachel April 22, 2011 at 10:45 pm

I have no idea what is involved in the GAPS diet but I assume it’s about eating whole foods as opposed to processed? If it seems overwhelming, I would suggest checking out healthy eating blogs for suggestions for recipes. (In case you hadn’t already thought of that, just a suggestion since I follow a ton of them and get great ideas from them all the time.) I hope it all pays off so that you can get more than 13 minutes a night of sleep.. how you are doing this, I do not know. I can handle diet changes and diapers and stuff like that, but sleep is something I need a regular amount of. You are my hero.

Valerie April 22, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Have you bought Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon? It is a recipe book with tons of info on this stuff too. I am getting back into the lacto-fermented foods and the bone broth stuff. You will start feeling great, soon!

Mary April 23, 2011 at 10:30 am

Dude, clean your oven! J/K good luck with the hippie juice hon!

DR April 23, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Yeah, maybe she can do that with the 2.3 seconds of time she has to herself. (I know you were kidding but remember that for some moms who are exhausted, being funny crosses really quickly into being an asshole. Be careful.)

MODG April 23, 2011 at 3:47 pm

like I have any idea how to do that…

Lori April 23, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Hahahahaha I bought some easy off oven shit for my nasty oven last year and it stares at me every day.

Lluvia April 23, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Our oven is as old as our marriage (9 yrs), and I HAVE NEVER CLEANED IT. I’ve never had to. I always put aluminum foil on the bottom but not covering the “holes” and when something goes on the racks, they get covered as well. If the foil is not too dirty, I leave it on for another use, or I just wait until the oven is cool, to remove it! My stove is always clean! :-)

Anna April 23, 2011 at 11:18 am

I cannot relate to your lack of sleep but I can to your desire to do anything, I am due in 3 weeks and have high protein but no high blood pressure or swelling. If my protein continues to rise I will have to have my baby in Boston (I live on Martha’s Vineyard and love our hospital here so really do not want to go off-island). My chiropractor and accupunturist (see I am bit of a hippie too) have advocated low-acidity alkaline diet. I am also a science teacher and have some trouble with the actual science behind all of these things so it is a constant struggle within myself about what to eat, what to give up, what makes sense and I have not even had the baby yet. Good luck, the whole explanation really makes sense with digestion. Real food is always best, lots of greens. I just did a big grocery shop of lots of veggies and little protein, lots of soy and I thought I had it rough. You inspire me, good luck.

lauren April 23, 2011 at 11:26 am

I think this is INCREDIBLE – you are such a good mommy. Someday G will realize all the disgusting things you are eating just to make his tummy feel better and he will love you even more for it. HANG IN THERE! I think it’ll get easier once you cook the bone marrow and chicken feet or whatever for the first time. You’ll get used to it, right?
xoxo Lauren

Glamorous Newlywed April 23, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I”m totally with B on this – I’d do it, but only if beer was allowed.
And someone else cooked.
And no chicken feet.

kristin April 23, 2011 at 2:48 pm

i hope you keep sharing about how this works for you and your family. i’ve seen the GAPS way of eating pop up a couple times this month. i’m curious and glad you and yours will be a guinea pig for me to learn :)
cheers to having something to work towards. (i hate the feeling of not knowing what to do next, but wanting to heal me or someone from the family!)

Lluvia April 23, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Thank you for sharing this with us!

I have too been working on a change of lifestyle for our better health. GAPS seems a bit too hard, but not impossible. I have been working on a compost bin since last fall because I plan on a garden this year. And it’s made of our leftover food scraps, and my toddler’s poop!
I am determine to grow a lot of my vegetables. We are currently searching for a bigger home so I can have a bigger yard for my vegetables. I’ve been reading a lot of this GAPS diet, and I believe it’s something I need. From what I read, it can help me with my almost infertile ovaries (I say almost because I already had one baby and it only took us 7 years to conceive). I don’t want to go to fertility treatments.

I can’t wait to read more of this! I think you’re amazing for doing all you can to stick to BF.

P.S. I love your dirty oven. It’s a good sign that it gets used a lot! :-) Yay, for home-cooked meals MODG!

GiGi April 23, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Love the photo of you two. Love the different shades of gray and the pops of color from the pictures on your wall.

M April 23, 2011 at 9:29 pm

You are awesome! Love your commitment to breastfeeding. I have so many friends, including myself that had to alter their diet for breastfeeding- and I can totally get the not wanting to stop the one major thing that calms an infant. Breastfeeding is like the end all to any fussiness in our home (yeah-my little guy refuses a pacifier). Good luck with the diet- I look forward to reading about your experiences.

Dara April 24, 2011 at 12:22 am

I’ve been on the GAPS diet for a little over 3 months now (I have a 7 month old son) and the results have been amazing. I was a personal chef before becoming a SAHM and I mostly worked with families who were doing WAPF/Nourishing Traditions diet and/or GAPS, so I know all about the diets. But I never felt like I really needed to eat that way personally…UNTIL pregnancy sent my system into a tailspin. So just wanted to let you know that I’ve got a list of resources (blogs, books, M.D.’s, etc.) that might be of help as you go down this path. All the best!

Dara April 24, 2011 at 12:39 am

Oh, and one more thing: there’s an iphone app now for the GAPs diet. It’s called Gapalicious. Might be helpful as you’re figuring out what you can and can’t eat.

Elly April 24, 2011 at 9:29 am

I live in Taiwan and can hardly walk three blocks without passing a roadside chicken-foot stand. The Asians here in Asia would happily sell you some; sorry you didn’t have much luck with that! But the real delicacy here is chicken assholes. On a stick. Are they on the GAPS diet, too?

Anna April 24, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Had to share this with you, think its very interesting with a lot of data behind allergies. Not like I think you should give your kids worms but it is a bit on the same lines with a lot of good data behind it which is some of the arguements against GAPS and Nourshing Traditions is the lack of well planned out scientific studies although at this point I say you do what works, keep your sanity and keep sending all us greedy readers fun entertainment and interesting thoughts ,especailly those of us on bed rest just waiting for our baby to come.

Britt April 25, 2011 at 8:13 am

Where did you find the study about Zantac messing up digestion? I searched the Internet but couldn’t find anything about it. My daughter was on Zantac for a while but it wasn’t working so we switched her to Prevacid. It worked and then she grew out of it. She is 7 months and still isn’t very interested in solids so I’m wondering if it has something to do with the reflux.

Shannon April 25, 2011 at 8:14 pm

I looked too and cannot find a study, I know I have seen that in other comments here too. Can you post where you found the study. My baby is same age as G and is on Zantac right now. Thanks!

Nicole J April 25, 2011 at 10:35 am

One word to describe you: DEDICATED. You are amazing for doing all of this. I think if I had to for my Little Man I would but if I don’t have to I’ll gladly travel that [ath without hesitation. I wish you the best of luck and hopefully this works you and Baby G deserve a break.

Marie April 25, 2011 at 10:25 pm

This diet does make sense in a crazy way and you are a brave woman. When I had digestive problems as a kid, my dad…..a wannabe doctor, made me drink something awful once a day for a week that was supposed to reintroduce and rebalance the natural bacteria in my gut. It worked! Being that it was the 1970′s, who knew what it was. Best of luck and I’ll be eager to hear how it goes!