Boob verdict and also SG

I don’t have time to F around. If I do all of this nonsense and it’s not even dairy or soy, I’m not doing this again with every GD food on the earth. So I’m doing the total elimination diet. One of you suggested this in the comments. Thank you for that. I read every single one. I’m doing it for 7 days. If I’m still alive after that we’ll go from there.

And for all my bitching and moaning, if the baby feels better, it will be worth it. (see I’m not totally evil)

And in other news:

The 2 most popular men of the MODG blog, met in person. Gavin is eh about Single Guy. But he loves SG’s girlfriend! And so do we. And no I’m not showing you a picture of her because you are vultures and she is a nice awesome person who probably isn’t interested in my internet shenanigans. Just know that I fully approve and *hope* that SG doesn’t F this one up.

Go SG!

If you need me I’ll be eating rice. Over and over again.

POSTED IN: breastfeeding,Eating Innapropriately,Mom Stuff,Single Guy

wonderchris February 17, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Wow, that diet is hardcore! I don’t know if any of these would fit the strict standards of the new diet, but…Rice Dream does have some tasty desserts. They have “improved taste”…which is a good thing!! They’ve come a long way! The nutty bars and the cookie sandwiches are delish.

Jessica February 17, 2011 at 12:47 pm

You are hardcore MODG, good luck with the total eliminations, which should totes be a reality show.

Lluvia February 17, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Whoah…that is one total elimination diet–what we are willing to do for our children!! Good luck!

SG and G are both very handsome.

Cheryl February 17, 2011 at 1:10 pm

My kids were all gassy, pukey kids, no matter what I changed in my diet.
The only thing that worked was:
A: switching to the Vent Air bottles by playtex (no air gets in as they drink)
B: switching to the Enfamil gold label formula (pricey but well worth it)

One of my twins would not STOP crying all the bloody time, we went nowhere, after I did the above, happy baby!
Good luck and don’t stress ..in the end he will outgrow whatever it is and happy happy all around!

Allison February 17, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I gotta say, I admire the hell out of you. For some reason, I didn’t know about your blog until you wrote that sort-of weird post about LOST, and I was all like, “What the hell?” since I thought only nerds watch that show (including every single one of my friends except for me). Then you announced that you were pregnant, and I was all like, “What the hell? I do not read this crazy, hormonal lady’s pregnancy shit. I’m 27 and single and all of my friends are married and starting to have kids and OH GOD I CAN’T TAKE ANOTHER BABY STORY!” But I had already added you to my Google Reader, so you know, I just kept reading. And here I am, commenting for the first time, because you are cute and hilarious, two of the requirements for me to like you. So, I just wanted to give you an extra “You go girlfriend!” as you try this awful-sounding diet, because you’re right, Gavin probably will feel better, which means that you’ll better. (See, now you don’t look all selfless, do you?) Keep on trucking–from what I hear, babies eventually grow up and stop crying all the time. The bad thing is, they start speaking, but that’s another story for another time.

Allison February 17, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Please ignore the typos in that comment. If you can’t make sense of it without the missing words, then I’m a failure and sorry and all that jazz.

Sarah February 17, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Good luck! Another thing that helped IMMENSELY with my older daughter when we were dealing with food intolerances/allergies was getting her on a really strong infant probiotic. Seriously was like night and day. For her, the combo of TED + probiotic sorta seemed to “reset” her system and we were able to rapidly reintroduce foods. She still (a year after the TED ended) takes the probiotic every day, otherwise she gets, um, interesting poops.

In our case, I think my getting abx during labor and then her getting an abx shot (labor wasn’t long enough to get all they wanted her to get) kinda screwed up her gut, and then she had one more round of abx around age 1 for bronchitis and that seemed to be the tipping point. For G, I’ve read that babies born by c-section don’t get the bifidum bacteria to colonize their gut and so taking it in powder form can really help.

We get our stuff from custom probiotics. It’s pricey but sososo worth it (and it’s only pricey because you have to buy basically a year’s supply at once). But, with our allergy concerns, I emailed the guy and he sent me a free sample cause I didn’t want to get them and then find out that she couldn’t handle whatever it was that the strains were grown on. If you’re interested, give the guy a call or email ~ he’s quick to respond and friendly :) I always feel so preachy about the probiotics, but dude, they WORK and it’s crazy. I have had friends with the same experience, and they become evangelists about it, too! (FWIW, I get no money or anything promoting these…just mom to mom advice about what worked for us :)).

BCJ February 17, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I second the probiotics. My doc was explaining about the delicate infant digestive system and how passing through the vaginal canal gives them some of the right stuff to get started (as opposed to the really sterile c-sect enviro, which just can’t be helped sometimes) in their digestive tract. Anyways, when food issues started popping up we were given this one http://www.amazon.com/MMS-Pro-Entrin-Childrens-5oz/dp/B000UVAK4K and still do it with the kiddo at 19mos. Before he was taking breastmilk via bottle we’d just wet our finger, dip it in the powder and he’d suck it off. No issue with taste (at least for us and the handful of others we know of – who knows about G). Mom and dad take probiotics, too. We’re on Sarah’s bandwagon. :-) The digestive system is the root of everything it seems…

Chrystal February 17, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Well good news, you can drink sake! haha I am 6 1/2 mnths pregnant and reading your site has brought me various laughs and new knowledge. you’re doing great, don’t feel defeated!!

katie February 17, 2011 at 1:27 pm

this sounds VERY promising! even if you only see minor results at the end of 7 days keep going! it can take up to 3 weeks to get ALL the ‘bad’ proteins out of your body (and milk.) my midwife told me it takes 4 hours for food you eat to make it to your milk, but keep in mind that our allergist told us it can take anywhere from 3-5 days to see an allergic reaction.

slow and steady, baby

Julie February 17, 2011 at 1:27 pm

1) My friend did the total elimination diet because her baby had the same problems as G-man. That didn’t work. What did work? Acupuncture on the bambino. Watch and learn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbiWtpbJK8I (not my friend, just a visual aid). My friends eats what she wants and the baby is now totally cool all the time.

2. I can’t tell if it’s the flash or for real, but SG looks like he’s got a booger in his nose.

p.s. Glad you’re back to semi-regular blogging.

Elizabeth February 17, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Julie,
Way to confirm to MODG not putting up pics of SG’s girlfriend was a good idea. That was tacky of you.

Julie February 17, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Not sure how that was “tacky.” just an observation. perhaps a joke gone awry on you. yikes! Maybe I should have prefaced it by SG is hot but it looks like he’s maybe got a booger in his nose. whatever.

Me too February 21, 2011 at 5:18 pm

SG looks adorable holding baby G, and I noticed the boog too.

kelly @Dare to be Domestic February 17, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Yay SG meets G.. but wait shouldn’t we rename SG to maybe DG [dating guy?]… or do we just wait until he has a ring to change that, for tax purposes and all that?

Good luck with this change in diet – I hope it works you deserve a break and little G deserves to be HAPPY Baby :) oxox

C February 17, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Let’s just say I feel like a rockstar at the moment for a) getting an email from THE MODG! and b) actually having a good enough idea that you decided to try it.

Welcome to the suckfest that is the total elimination diet. Downside: it’s pretty extreme. Upside: For one week, you’ll have to make very few choices when it comes to food (which isn’t all bad when you’re really tired). Plus, you won’t even have to read very many food labels.

Although a warning might be needed – too much rice causes constipation. If you go heavy on the rice, consider having pear juice on hand to help with that little problem (it can affect both you AND G if you’re not careful).

Kelly February 17, 2011 at 2:02 pm

You can kick this diets ass. You are doing awesome. Sending positive thoughts your way.

Becky Mochaface February 17, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Fingers crossed that the elimination diet works for you and G.

Alexandria Campbell February 17, 2011 at 2:26 pm

glad i clicked that link because i was like “elimination diet? that means 1 of 2 things. a diet she doesn’t eat or a diet she physically has to shit to make work” good to know.

jessica February 17, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Wow, you are amazing!!!
::bowsdown::
“Im not worthy!”

ASHLEY February 17, 2011 at 3:18 pm

im commenting on this post because im lazy and dont want to read a ridiculous amount of suggestions from other people and i think mine is the best.
have you read “happiest baby on the block?” the whole freaking first have of the book disputes allergies and temperament as possible causes of colic, and gives a “5 s’s” technique thats been proven to calm almost any colicky baby.
spark notes it or something. i know it will help.

if it doesn’t, then you have a little shit on your hands and i cant help you. but i thought id try :}

Ofjonesfame February 17, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Ooohh you could go to the Hispanic isle at the store and get Horchata mix (rice water) it’s yummy andight satisfy your sweet tooth!

Lluvia February 17, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I was about to suggest Horchata as well!!! I think though, you should make it fresh! http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Horchata Just substitute the milk part for water!

I grew up drinking it! LOVE IT! but yeah, they do have the mix for it at the HISPANIC foods isle.

Ashleigh Moore February 17, 2011 at 6:46 pm

You are awesome and I appluad you. When my daughter was born I thought I had enough information. Unfortunately, I had been told that what you eat does not effect your breast milk. I also had never heard about probiotics for babies until a few months ago. My daughter did not have trouble sleeping but she was grouchy and sensative. If I had known that there were things I could try to make it better, I definitely would have tried them. You have done a wonderful job of educating yourself. You are so determined that I don’t think the elimination diet will be hard for you. I do have a few tips though.
1. White rice will make you constipated but brown rice will not.
2. Brown rice keeps well so cook up a bunch ahead of time so you can just pop some in the microwave when you need it.
3. You can cook a sweet potato in the microwave in about four minutes. Plus, they are satisfyingly sweet and starchy.
4. There is a company called Lundberg that makes very yummy brown rice pasta. I typed your P.O. box’s zip code into their store locator and it says they carry Lundberg products at a store called Kimberton on Kimberton Rd in a town called Kimberton. Is everything named that way back east? You can also get the pasta on Amazon.

Thank you for sharing so much of your life with us.

Kristen Cleve February 17, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Holy crap! That’s some hard core stuff right there. My sister just had twins with some lactose issues. She wasn’t willing to give up her diet so moved to formula. You’re badass.

Kelly February 18, 2011 at 4:51 pm

uh, yeah I did, Kristen :) 3 weeks of no dairy.

Sara Strand February 17, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I failed to mention that Kelli looks AH-MA-ZING after changing her diet for her kids. Seriously. If I wasn’t so addicted to pizza rolls I’d think about it.

Oh- and she said just because it might be a dairy/soy issue does NOT mean it’s a lactose issue. Apparently those are different and she hates people who are stupid and think it’s not. So yeah. (Trust me- I totally made that mistake once with her and I got my ass handed to me.)

MB February 18, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Your sister’s correct, it is not a lactose issue. The main sugar in breastmilk, regardless of what you eat, is lactose. It is often a protien called casien that found in dairy that is the issue.

Amy February 17, 2011 at 9:53 pm

It sucks, I’ll be honest but it is kind of empowering too. Be sure to get the enriched rice ( vanilla tastes better than the plain IMO) milk so you get the vitamins you would get in milk. Also, when I did it, Tinkyada was the best tasting rice pasta.

KimB February 17, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Way to go MODG – you are a kick ass mom for doing the elimination diet. I hope it works for you and Baby G…it can’t hurt, right? I ate alot of chicken, steamed veggies, fruit….and it wasn’t fun, but it made such a difference seeing Claire happier. It helped me lose baby weight too, and I felt great at the end of the day knowing that I didn’t eat a bunch of trash. Other things to try too are Dr. Brown’s bottles – we use the wideneck ones for breastfeeding moms. I have also had friends do chiropractic visits and accupuncture – so those are options too. Feel free to contact me if you ever have any questions….hang in there, you will figure Baby G out. I often said when my daughter’s were babies – WHERE IS THEIR USER’S MANUAL!?!?! because I was so frustrated I didn’t know what to do. But, its a process of trial and error to figure out what works for your baby. You’ll figure it out :)

Shannon February 18, 2011 at 11:07 am

All you’ve got
is all you can give
and that will
ALWAYS
be enough.

B February 18, 2011 at 3:20 pm

That’s rough. So rough. You know how I know? I had to do the SAME thing…and it was awful. Particularly since I had just come off 6 wks without sweets (damn you, Lent!), only to realize that my baby was having major poo blowouts over and over because she had a dairy intolerance. I had to cut out all dairy – though thankfully not soy, but soy milk = major gross for me – including all sources of whey and came to HATE that damned little D on the front of food boxes signaling the presence of dairy.

I think it’s awesome you’re continuing to breastfeed, though. I was encouraged to stop also, but kept with it, and now my daughter is 14 months and I’m still nursing and can eat dairy again. She can’t have any directly, but she stopped reacting to me eating it as she’s grown older and eats more and more solids. Best of luck! If you need any dairy-free recipes that don’t suck, don’t hesitate to email me. I’ll happily share.

Staci February 18, 2011 at 5:32 pm

My kid has been the exception of everything all along. She can’t even tolerate probiotics. We have TRIED everything out there. Her already over fermented tummy would get all sorts of angry and then she was in pain with in 30 minutes of probiotics. It took several tries with SEVERAL brands to finally figure it out. She just turned a year and we are doing an elimination diet AGAIN, her this time, and goats milk has been a britney send (file that one away for future potential crap to know).
I will also suggest, if no one else has, the chiropractor. I had so many hang ups about the goods and the bads of this. I started going myself to repair the mark that 37 hours of labor put on me and then it hit me, I am sure it wasn’t rainbows and lolipops for her squeezing down that canal. All along they told me the benefits for little ones like her and for the longest time I wouldn’t let them touch her and then one day the crying was just not stopping and she had her first adjustment. I will tell you it went smoothly. They don’t lay them on the table or any of the crazy stuff they do to adults and I know it worked b/c she stopped crying, took a huge dump and then slept for 3 hours. Since then I use them to treat ear infections, constipation and anything else that comes up. I have sprinted in with a SCREAMING baby before, people look at me like I just cut off her right arm. The doctor has me hold her and adjusts her on my lap and I am not lying when I say, it stops.
Is G’s fussiness only surround eating times or is this something that goes on all the time no matter what? Colic is really a term for we don’t know why the hell they cry for hours on end and umbrellas so many things from acid reflux and food allergies to just being a low sensory baby. Do you still swaddle? Sorry for all the personal questions, I don’t want to flood you with crap you already know. Ever nursed in the warm bath tub? That sooths mom and child.

Girl 1 February 18, 2011 at 10:34 pm

MODG, I just want to say that you make my life :) thanks for the laughs!

-Girl 1

Melissa February 20, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Okay, first YEAH for you for continuing to BF and eliminating dairy/soy/etc! Had to do the same thing with our daughter (now 18 months) and it does suck way hard at first, but it gets so much better once they are feeling better! I didn’t read all of the comments, so sorry if this was already mentioned, but our ped said that it takes 2 weeks for the dairy to get out of your system and another 2 weeks to get out of his…SO, I saw you were going to try it for 7 days, but you won’t see a huge improvement until after 2 weeks for you and then a complete 180 after another 1-2 weeks for it to get out of his system. Just something to think about! :) Second, you have WAY more choices in the US for dairy-free/soy-free that I do (currently living in Brazil) and my only vice has been US$10 bars of Lindt chocolate bars and chocolate flavored rice milk that tastes like water with some powdered chocolate in it, so hit up your local Whole Foods with your darling G baby in the Moby and stock up on almond milk and almond ice cream! It is absolutely delicious! Also you CAN eat Oreo’s so get on that STAT (though, that is kindof scary that the creme center has 0 milk in it — WTF is in there?! Whatever, don’t think about it. Just enjoy!) Thai food is also super easy to make (one pan!) and is great for leftovers. And, third, (since I’m being all formal) you will be amazed at how quickly you lose the baby weight! E is 18 months old and I am 20 lbs UNDER pre-pregnancy weight (yes, I was chunky before and am finally the weight on my driver’s license!) Also, now that I am starting to slowly introduce dairy again into my diet before I wean her in a few weeks, E’s reaction is no where near where it was even 6 months ago (when she was just 1.) Before she had awful, baboon-butt-like diaper rashes and her lunch coming out exactly like it went it, but now, after I ate ice cream, it was just a small rash that cleared up in a day and she can tolerate when I eat some cheese and baked goods (chocolate chip cookies!) so even more proof that boob milk is some powerful stuff! It really does “fix” their intestines and while I don’t knock anyone who uses formula, for babies with allergies and mama’s who can eliminate the bad stuff for as long as possible, it really is the best thing for them…and for you! BUT, if you decide to switch, don’t beat yourself up. He will eventually grow out of it on boob milk or formula…it’s just important that you feed him, right?! :) Also (also!) in this process, I have figured out that I am allergic to dairy, too. After I eat it, I have some bad cramping/bloating/gas and sometimes a headache. I was always constipated before and now — well, no longer a problem!
Hang in there and good luck! You CAN do it! Helpful website if no one else has mentioned it: http://www.kellymom.com

Nicole February 20, 2011 at 2:54 pm

These drops SAVED my life…..

BioGaia Probiotic Drops

Didn’t make any changes to my diet. Baby was much, much, much happier. Good luck!!

Amanda February 23, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I did that for my little girl. HUGE difference. Takes 14 days for dairy to get out of your system. You’ll see a difference in 7. The first couple weeks are the hardest. After that you figure it out and can adjust really well. Been doing it now 6 months. And it’s worth it.